PDA

View Full Version : my homebrew weapons [pathfinder]

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-22, 03:56 PM
I made some weapons for a special group of level 3 bugbears I’m working on. Only five exist so far though, don’t know what to give a one-armed monk, an albino sorcerer, or a barbarian in desperate need of anger management.

Let me know what you think!

Note: technically the first weapon isn’t homebrew, and is actually in one of the books. It was given to me by a DM, and I THOUGHT it was homebrew. Either way it inspired all the other weapons, and indeed the entire back story of my characters.

edit: after much pestering, i've removed the +1 to damage on all the weapons with the exeption of the swordbow (as i'm not the one who made it) and the two curve blades. just asume those without a +1 bonus are masterwork. i am still debaiting wether or not any of these should be considered exotic weapons, and would apriciate opinions on the matter.

Each of these weapons is welded by one of eight level 3 bugbear characters. Five of which are currently in existence.

Elvin swordbow: only textbook weapon of the bunch. Inspired the Javelspear and the chainstar. It’s a bow that can turn into a double-bladed sword. Mechanical.

Bow form:
Range: 110 ft
Damage: 1 d8+1
Type: 2-H pierce
Crit: x3
Ammo: 60 arrows

Sword form:
Range: melee
Damage: 1d6+1/1d6+1 (double-bladed weapon)
Type: 2-H slash
Crit: 18-20/x2
Ammo: none

Redfir chainstar: my first homebrew weapon. Made by the Redfir bugbears in an attempt to match the flexibility of the Elvin weapons like the swordbow and the Javelspear. Twist the bottom of the morningstar handle, and a spiked chain spills out of the hollow handle, holding the morningstar head on the end. Mechanical.

Morningstar form:
Damage: 1d8
Type: 1-H pierce/bludge
Crit: x2

Spiked chain form:
Range: 10 feet (reach)
Damage: 2d4
Type: 2-h peirce

Elvin Javelspears: 2nd homebrew weapon. a set of lightweight Javelins that can extend into spears, which produce more damage at the cost of thrown range. May be slightly overpowered, as the thrown range of the Javelin form is 40 rather then the normal 30, and each Javelspear weighs only one pound (elvish engineering anyone?). mechanical.

Spear form:
Range: 20ft (thrown) 10ft melee (reach)
Damage: 1d8
Type: 2-H pierce
Ammo: 20 Javelspears total

Javelin form:
Range: 40ft (thrown)
Damage: 1d6
Type: 1-H(?) pierce
Ammo: 20 Javelspears total

Elven light/Drow dark curve blade: wielded by two twin bugbears. The only magical weapons of the bunch, the light/dark curve blades deal an additional +1 damage to evil/good aligned creatures respectively. Magical.

Elvin light curve blade:
Damage: 1d10+1, +1 Vs evil

Drow dark curve blade:
Damage: 1d10+1, +1 Vs good

let me know what you think! Feel free to use them for your own characters, just be sure to ask first please ;)

edit: new weapon i'm makeing, could use some help with it. its for use by a one-armed monk.

Bugbear Brassdagger: a set of Brass Knuckles (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Simple_Melee_Weapons#Brass_Knuckles) which swish open into a punching dagger with the flick of a switch by the pinkie finger (free action) and back into Brass Knuckles by simply pushing the blade back down into a grove (protecting your fingers from the blade) until it clicks(move action).

Brass Knuckle form:
Range: Melee
Damage: 1d4 (or simply just "1" if that’s overpowered)
Type: 1-H Bludgeoning

Punching dagger form:
Damage: 1d4
Type: 1-H Pierce

Random weapon idea:

Femur club: Greatclub. no other details availible just yet.

a club built around using the femurs of fallen alleys (dipped in metal for strength and durability if metals are available) as well as various other bones (Skull, ribcage, ETC) to create a decorative club used in honour of said fallen alleys, allowing them to continue killing enemies in the mortal world after death. The femur club is most often built by close friends of the fallen to take revenge on those who killed them, a single femur club can contain the bones of multiple individuals, so building a club out of the bones of an entire village is possible if one finds themselves to be the last survivor of an attacked village.

Thoughts? Questions? What I’d really like help with is:

Should the Brassdagger turn into a PUNCHING dagger, or just a normal one?
Should the Brass-Knuckle form do only 1 damage? Or would a 1d4 be ok?
Both starting weapons are simple, should the Brassdagger be exotic anyways? What about my other weapons? Should any or all of them be exotic?

Unrelated to the weapon: the character I want to give this to has only one arm, losing the other at a young age. Do you think he should gain/lose any stats because of this? I’m thinking a +2 to STR since he's been working with only the one arm his whole life, -2 to DEX, and -2/4 to climb checks. What do you think?

mr.fizzypop
2010-02-22, 09:32 PM
I'm assuming these are all exotic weapons?

Also, where did the +1 to damage on the weapons come from? I'm not familiar with the original weapon, so what action is it to change the weapons form?

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-22, 11:55 PM
The spiked chain form of the chainstar, and the Drow dark/Elvin light curve blades are exotic. The Javelspears and swordbow aren’t exotic.

Also, where did the +1 to damage on the weapons come from? I'm not familiar with the original weapon, so what action is it to change the weapons form?
Not quite sure what you mean here. so ill just go with what i can.

The base-stats of each weapon are as follows:

Swordbow: again, not homebrew, but its still in my possession, so *shrugs*
Bow form = composite longbow (martial ranged)
Sword form = 2x (two) scimitar's joined at the hilt. marial one-hand (two-handed since its two scimitars)

chainstar:
Chain form = spiked chain (exotic two-handed, took exotic weapon proficincy to hold this)
morningstar form = morningstar (simple one-handed)

Javelspears:
spear form = longsper ( simple two-handed)
Javilin form = Javilin (simple ranged)

Elvin light/Drow dark curve blades: = Elvin curve blade + magic (exotic two-hand. also took exotic weapon feat)

The +1 came from... good craftsmanship?:smallbiggrin:

As for how they change, well the mechanics seem pretty simple IMO, (twist the handle of the morningstar to eject the spiked chain, press a button on the Javelin to extend it into a spear, and vice versa) so I would say a free action. Though that could easily be extended into a move action if the GM so wishes.

Drolyt
2010-02-24, 06:25 AM
Why do they grant +1 damage? No weapon does that without magic. Anyways it all looks good except for the Javelspear. If it's not going to be magic you should limit it to the Javelspear's normal throwing range. Other than that it seems neat, I'm pretty sure the Swordbow was magical originally though.

Ashtagon
2010-02-24, 06:52 AM
(I'm reiterating some stuff to help clarify it in my own mind. If my interpretation is wrong, feel free to remind me).

General: Add my voice to the chorus of "huh" wrt to the +1 damage on each die of damage.

I'm also not entirely sure why the weapons, in whichever form they are in at the time, would have stats different from their base weapons.

swordbow: Mechanically converts between bow and double-bladed sword.

Am I right in thinking the sword form is meant to be a double weapon (a la Darth Maul)? Given the considerable repeated stress and bending that bow arms take, this either breaks physics (sorry catgirls) or requires the character store swappable sword blades in his backpack. How long do you see it taking to swap them around? A realistic version would take about a minute, based on how long it takes to assemble a modern recurve compound bow

chainstar: Mechanically converts between morning star and spiked chain.

Seems reasonable. My only concern is that, assuming the wielder is proficient in the spiked chain function at all, whyever would he use the morning star form? Unskilled users would be better off just carrying a morning star, and skilled users would be better off just carrying a spiked chain.

Also, morning stars do Piercing and Bludgeoning damage in RAW.

Javelspears: Mechanically converts between spear and javelin.

Physics-wise, these make no sense. The distance they can be thrown is more a function of mass rather than length, and that doesn't really change as described. The two base weapons are actually about the same length anyway, with javelins being considering less sturdy (hence their being less useful in melee).

Also, historically speaking, a typical soldier would have carried 2-3 of these, not 20 or so.

curve blades (x2): Magical scimitars.

No specific comments.

Spiryt
2010-02-24, 07:06 AM
Physicaly none of those makes any sense, and from 391 different reasons other than you mentioned. Bow arm won't make sword blade and it has not much to do with breaking.

However, those are obviously those "incredible mechanics" fantasy stuff, supposed to work around some cheesy technology, so I don't see the point of thinking about it that way.

Not that I like such stuff in fantasy, but if someone do, well it's homebrew for them.

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-24, 01:12 PM
swordbow: Mechanically converts between bow and double-bladed sword.

Am I right in thinking the sword form is meant to be a double weapon (a la Darth Maul)? Given the considerable repeated stress and bending that bow arms take, this either breaks physics (sorry catgirls) or requires the character store swappable sword blades in his backpack. How long do you see it taking to swap them around? A realistic version would take about a minute, based on how long it takes to assemble a modern recurve compound bow

The swordbow is actually located in an official D&D weapons book. (a.k.a. its not homebrewed, i just used it as a reference for all my other weapons) and according to this book, the blades are made out of a very strong, yet very flexible metal/alloy, that allows the blades to be strung together for use as a bow.

As for the +1 situation. Well like I said, my main reference point was the Swordbow, which was given to me by a GM, and i figured it was a mechanical weapon, which was so well made that it gave an additional +1 to damage. i figured this was a way of saying "this weapon is better then the average weapon" and, wanting to replicate that, i used the same mechanic for the Javelspear and the chainstar.

chainstar: Mechanically converts between morning star and spiked chain.

Seems reasonable. My only concern is that, assuming the wielder is proficient in the spiked chain function at all, whyever would he use the morning star form? Unskilled users would be better off just carrying a morning star, and skilled users would be better off just carrying a spiked chain.

Well for one, the spiked chain requires two hands to use, whereas the morning star is only one handed, and can be combined with a shield. And the morningstar requires you to be adjacent to your enemy, whilst the spiked chain form has reach, allowing you to attack from a range, should you be low on health, or otherwise unable to reach the target.

If it's not going to be magic you should limit it to the Javelspear's normal throwing range. Other than that it seems neat,

Well I gave the Javelspears an additional 10 ft of range, mainly because I didn’t see much difference between the 20 ft of the spear, and the 30ft of the Javelin. I figured most people given the choice, would always go for the spear for the extra damage, so i added an extra 10 feet to enhance the usefulness of the Javelin form.

In other news I’m trying to think of a weapon for my barbarian. Which seems more reasonable? A greataxe that turns into a shield, or a greataxe that turns into two smaller axes?

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-03, 02:36 AM
One last shameless bump for glory!

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-05, 10:52 PM
They're overpowered. One weapon doing both might be balanced for an exotic weapon proficiency, but these do everything better than their normal counterparts. The chainmace for example has a +2 damage modifier compaired to the chain, thats like offering weapon specilization to anyone who wants it.

Drolyt
2010-03-05, 11:03 PM
They're overpowered. One weapon doing both might be balanced for an exotic weapon proficiency, but these do everything better than their normal counterparts. The chainmace for example has a +2 damage modifier compaired to the chain, thats like offering weapon specilization to anyone who wants it.

I have to agree. They aren't terribly overpowered, just slightly, but what's with the bonus damage? No other weapon has it, there's no reason for it, I just don't get it.

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-06, 01:45 AM
ya I’ll probably remove that +2 bit. I thought it would be fair to add +1 for each die rolled for the spiked chain form, guess I was wrong.

You want an explanation as to why they do +1 damage? Fine here you go:

Elvin Javelspears: taken from the corpse of an Elf by a Redfir bugbear during the liberation from the Drow, many of the originals were lost in the fight due to the Elves and bugbears running AWAY from the Drow, and being unable to retrieve them. The Elves later reforged new Javilspears out of a special lightweight metal forged by the elves themselves. The new Javilspears are now very light, and very sharp.

Redfir Chainstar: years after being freed from the Drow, and being under the protection of the Elves who saved them, the Redfir bugbears began to worry about there own self-defence. Should anything happen to the Elves, they would be no doubtedly be screwed, as they were still new to a life of freedom. And so, they began experimenting with there own weapons. One goal of these experiments was to match the flexibility of the Elvin weapons such as the Swordbow and the Javelspears. Using this as a base, the bugbears tried many different things, many of which failed horribly (such as a crossbow that doubled as a helmet). But the Chainstar was one of few that made the grade.

The current Redfir Chainstar was forged using an extremely compressed metal, making for a very dense, and very powerful weapon. It is however, quite heavy, as well as consuming a considerable amount of recourses to produce, resulting in very few being made. *note to self, add a few pounds to the chainstar*

The Swordbow is textbook, and the curve blades are magic, so no need to mention them.

Drolyt
2010-03-06, 01:11 PM
ya I’ll probably remove that +2 bit. I thought it would be fair to add +1 for each die rolled for the spiked chain form, guess I was wrong.

You want an explanation as to why they do +1 damage? Fine here you go:

Elvin Javelspears: taken from the corpse of an Elf by a Redfir bugbear during the liberation from the Drow, many of the originals were lost in the fight due to the Elves and bugbears running AWAY from the Drow, and being unable to retrieve them. The Elves later reforged new Javilspears out of a special lightweight metal forged by the elves themselves. The new Javilspears are now very light, and very sharp.

Redfir Chainstar: years after being freed from the Drow, and being under the protection of the Elves who saved them, the Redfir bugbears began to worry about there own self-defence. Should anything happen to the Elves, they would be no doubtedly be screwed, as they were still new to a life of freedom. And so, they began experimenting with there own weapons. One goal of these experiments was to match the flexibility of the Elvin weapons such as the Swordbow and the Javelspears. Using this as a base, the bugbears tried many different things, many of which failed horribly (such as a crossbow that doubled as a helmet). But the Chainstar was one of few that made the grade.

The current Redfir Chainstar was forged using an extremely compressed metal, making for a very dense, and very powerful weapon. It is however, quite heavy, as well as consuming a considerable amount of recourses to produce, resulting in very few being made. *note to self, add a few pounds to the chainstar*

The Swordbow is textbook, and the curve blades are magic, so no need to mention them.

Look at it this way. Take the Mornignstar/Spiked Chain one. In spiked chain form it deals 2d4+2. That is, on average, 7 damage, the same as a greatsword. Except Spiked Chains have numerous advantages over greatswords. Similarly for the mornigstar, 1d8+1. It now is the equivalent of a Bastard Sword, 1d10, except it doesn't require exotic weapon proficiency. Now if you made it so these bonuses don't stack with enhancement bonuses to damage (eg if the Spiked Chain were a +2 weapon it would still only do +2 damage, but if it were +3 it would start dealing +3 damage) it might be fine.

mr.fizzypop
2010-03-06, 01:37 PM
Why don't you just make them masterwork? It makes more sense.

Draconi Redfir
2010-04-13, 01:16 AM
to be honest i really dont know how masterwork works. and im edditing the spiked chain form to only do +1 damage. the +2 thing was a bit of a strech.

Drolyt
2010-04-13, 06:13 AM
to be honest i really dont know how masterwork works. and im edditing the spiked chain form to only do +1 damage. the +2 thing was a bit of a strech.

A Masterwork weapon gives +1 to attack rolls. A magic weapon gives +1 (or more) to both attack rolls and damage rolls. Magic and masterwork don't stack. Non-magic weapons do not typically give bonuses to damage, so I'm not sure why your homebrew weapons do.

Debihuman
2010-04-13, 11:01 AM
Weapons that do +1 damage are magic weapons. These should be priced accordingly. If these aren't magical weapons, then lose the +1 damage. I highly recommend you compare your weapons to those on page 143 of the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook.

[Edit]
Also, the Swordbow is a weapon from Races of the Wild page 171. These are magic weapons and have a +1 bonus; creator must be an elf.

Debby

Draconi Redfir
2010-04-23, 11:26 AM
Allright, allright, ill just make the weapons masterwork instead of giving them a small boost in damage. Though I’m keeping the swordbow as it is, and calling it non-magical. as it was given to me by a GM, and I honestly cant see any reason why it should, or would be magic.

While I’m bumping this thread yet again, what do you think of this weapon i came up with for use by a one-armed monk?

Bugbear Brassdagger: a set of Brass Knuckles (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Simple_Melee_Weapons#Brass_Knuckles) which swish open into a punching dagger with the flick of a switch by the pinkie finger (free action) and back into Brass Knuckles by simply pushing the blade back down into a grove (protecting your fingers from the blade) until it clicks(move action).

Brass Knuckle form:
Damage: 1d4 (or simply just "1" if that’s overpowered)
Type: 1-H Bludgeoning

Punching dagger form:
Damage: 1d4
Type: 1-H Pierce

Thoughts? Questions? What I’d really like help with is:

Should the Brassdagger turn into a PUNCHING dagger, or just a normal one?
Should the Brass-Knuckle form do only 1 damage? Or would a 1d4 be ok?
Both starting weapons are simple, should the Brassdagger be exotic anyways? What about my other weapons? Should any or all of them be exotic?

Unrelated to the weapon: the character I want to give this to has only one arm, losing the other at a young age. Do you think he should gain/lose any stats because of this? I’m thinking a +2 to STR since he's been working with only the one arm his whole life, -2 to DEX, and -2/4 to climb checks. What do you think?

Witty Username
2010-04-24, 11:04 PM
Are you intending to make any other weapons?
bowspear? sythestaff? etc?
Edit: sorry I didn't read all you're posts, but I guess I gave you Ideas:smallredface:

Draconi Redfir
2010-04-27, 05:56 PM
well i do need to make a barbarian and a sorcerer in adition to my monk. not sure what i would give the sorcerer, but for the barbarian, im thinking some kind of greataxe that either splits verticly into two smaller axe's, or one that splits horazontaly into a sheild and shortspear.

anyone got any opinions on the brassdagger?

EccentricOwl
2010-04-27, 08:22 PM
Brass knuckles doing 1d4 seems reasonable. Why o why would you get weaker in your punching abilities because you're using a weapon? =P

rewinn
2010-10-04, 04:50 PM
well i do need to make a barbarian and a sorcerer in adition to my monk. not sure what i would give the sorcerer, but for the barbarian, im thinking some kind of greataxe that either splits verticly into two smaller axe's, or one that splits horazontaly into a sheild and shortspear....

An ax with a flingable ferrule (the metal cap on the end) might be fun. Push a button, it's now lose and a sharp snap of the ax flings the ferrule into the foe's forehead!