Kylarra
2010-02-22, 06:16 PM
Crusader is a pretty simple one, imo.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-22, 06:18 PM
Fax Celestis's fix is good.

Greenish
2010-02-22, 06:20 PM
Pathfinder paladin with casting like Duskblade (picking spells from Cleric/Paladin lists), minus spell channeling. So, up to 6th level spells, lot of low level spells per day. Spontaneous caster, might even give it all spells (of a modified list) as known ones.

Then disallow Battle Blessing.

:smallcool:

[Edit]: Or crusader, of course, like mentioned.

Draz74
2010-02-22, 06:23 PM
I actually think the non-fixed Paladin can actually be just fine, Tier 3, if you just build it very carefully with enough splatbook options.

Replace the Mount with an ACF like Healing Spirit or Charging Smite
Abuse critical hits with a Falchion (with lots of crit-boosting enhancements from MIC), Improved Critical, Bless Weapon, and a handful of Level 1 Pearls of Power
Pick good spells, mostly from Spell Compendium, and take Battle Blessing
Pick a good Divine feat to use Turn attempts on, like Divine Might or Travel Devotion

Edit: Eh, I guess really that still only gets the Paladin up to a strong Tier 4. Meh, I'm ok with that.

lsfreak
2010-02-22, 06:24 PM
One-Winged Angel's fix if you want to keep most of the original mechanics.

Fax's fix is win.

Playing a CoDzilla/crusader/warblade/barbarian/whatever and calling yourself a paladin.

Greenish
2010-02-22, 06:32 PM
One-Winged Angel's fix if you want to keep most of the original mechanics.

Fax's fix is win.
Linkity linkies for those of weak forum-fu, pretty please?

lsfreak
2010-02-22, 06:37 PM
This page (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2096.0) has a link to the OneWinged4ngel's original thread a ways down, but it was screwed by the change to the Wizards' forums. Look on the PDF download at the top of the thread I linked, it's got the full class (including Smite feats, later in the document).

I don't know which is more up-to-date, but here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551) the thread, and here's (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Paladin) the wiki page for Fax's paladin. I'd go with the thread.

EDIT: Apparently my English sucks today.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-22, 06:51 PM
I prefer Surrealistik's Paladin.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133737

Ravens_cry
2010-02-22, 06:55 PM
I like the Pathfinder paladin, personally.

Shadowbane
2010-02-22, 06:57 PM
Forgive the self-aggrandizement, but I do offer the paladin in my list. Both of them. (Auradin and Gray Guard.)

Mattarias, King.
2010-02-22, 08:52 PM
My DM just gives me smites per-encounter rather than per-day. Seems alright.

Now, if I may, what about the Paladin needs fixing, exactly, other than the severe limits on smiting?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-22, 08:55 PM
My DM just gives me smites per-encounter rather than per-day. Seems alright.

Now, if I may, what about the Paladin needs fixing, exactly, other than the severe limits on smiting?

It's MAD I tell you! MAD!!!!I'm glad I got to use that line

that and it needs an actual reason to go to level 20 all by itself. All classes should have that.

Pluto
2010-02-22, 10:12 PM

The class kind of stops at level 6.

Now, it could be worse; it does scale its Lay On Hands, smite and Mount, and it does get a couple spell slots to toss around.
But around level 10, when even the Bard has 4th level spells, the Paladin starts to look pretty sickly alongside his enemies.
(I'm discounting Blackguards.)

If balance is a concern in your group, that's probably a bad thing in terms of high-level play.

Slapping the "Paladin" title on Ordained Champion, Fist of Raziel or Knight of the Raven seems like the best fix to me -- making it a status to be achieved and making it powerful at that.

Cleric, Crusader and Favored Soul are also good fixes as far as filling the archetype and kicking demon ass.

Mattarias, King.
2010-02-22, 10:38 PM
:smallconfused: Ooohh.. Ouch. Gotcha. So.. It was a.. bad idea switching out my mount and casting for charging smite and extra feats? Hm. I'll try to get my DM to look at somma these fixes. Thanks.

Fortunately, good rolls take care of MAD (MAD!!), but not everybody gets those. Alright then.

Xallace
2010-02-22, 10:44 PM
:smallconfused: Ooohh.. Ouch. Gotcha. So.. It was a.. bad idea switching out my mount and casting for charging smite and extra feats? Hm. I'll try to get my DM to look at somma these fixes. Thanks.

Charging Smite is A-OK! Bonus feats are not. The Pally actually has a pretty kickin' spell list, especially with supplements, but either way 4 bonus feat are not quite worth the drop.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-22, 11:46 PM
Charging Smite is A-OK! Bonus feats are not. The Pally actually has a pretty kickin' spell list, especially with supplements, but either way 4 bonus feat are not quite worth the drop.

This, a and with the battle blessing feat is quite good, plus there is one Paladin spells that always make me fall of my chair laughing.

It is called silver beard or something like that; the point is you grow a.....silver beard that gives you a +2 to ac and some bonus while dealing with dwarfs!!! also on the spell fluff it mentions that even member of species (or genders) which physically imposible to grow facial hair (elves or women for example) do grow beards, man the changeling paladin in my party had a blast with that spell,

Luvia
2010-02-23, 05:08 AM
Step1. Take Cleric
Step2. Change name to Paladin
Step3. ???????????????
Step4. Profit!

faceroll
2010-02-23, 05:13 AM
Pathfinder paladin with casting like Duskblade (picking spells from Cleric/Paladin lists), minus spell channeling. So, up to 6th level spells, lot of low level spells per day. Spontaneous caster, might even give it all spells (of a modified list) as known ones.

Then disallow Battle Blessing.

:smallcool:

[Edit]: Or crusader, of course, like mentioned.

Without spell channeling or battle blessing, it could be pretty underpowered, since it loses out on the action economy. If it comes with turning and DMM, then it can persist a handful of useful buffs, but I've always found that route ugly & exploitive. Depends a lot on the spells it gets. Duskblade is basically a blaster. Having to throw up 3 spells every combat as buffs is a waste of time, generally. That's what makes battle blessing awesome.

Step1. Take Cleric
Step2. Change name to Paladin
Step3. ???????????????
Step4. Profit!

Lacks full bab, martial weapon proficiency, and a pretty pony.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-02-23, 05:26 AM
Cleric/Prestige Paladin?

Runestar
2010-02-23, 05:49 AM
The bonus feats may actually still be worth it at lower lvs, when you are looking at like 1-2 low lv spells per day compared with a feat you could potentially be using every combat (or helping you qualify for another feat that much faster, such as awesome smite while still being to squeeze in juicy feats like extra smite).

The downside is that the paladin can't use spell trigger items anymore since he no longer has a spell-list to call his own.

This however, also has the side-benefit of allowing you to dump wis, making the paladin somewhat less MAD. Not a bad deal if used in tandem with races already reeling from a wis penalty such as the warforged. And there is always steadfast determination to deal with the downsides of having only 6 wis...:smallbiggrin:

Divine power, war domain and ... planar ally? :smallwink:

JaronK
2010-02-23, 05:49 AM
Crusader or Cleric/PrC Paladin gets the job done for me.

JaronK

Temotei
2010-02-23, 06:33 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129793&highlight=Radiant+Monk)'s a monk/paladin combination I made.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131912&highlight=Improved+Divine+Grace)'s an additional class feature for the paladin.

[/shameless self advertisement]

Person_Man
2010-02-23, 11:50 AM
Although I really like Pathfinder's version and Fax's fix, screwing around with the class is not really necessary. They're a solid Tier 3/4 class, you just need to know what to do with them. Take Leadership, Battle Blessing, Sword of the Arcane Order, and domain/divine feats. Stay on your dragon/whatever Special Mount, use Share Spells a lot, and enjoy being a highly mobile tank.

Tehnar
2010-02-23, 12:23 PM
I would personally increase their skill points to 4+int, make smites a per encounter based ability and add other options to lay on hands like healing ability damage, fatigue, etc. Probably a good addition would be to make their caster level equal to paladin level -3, or paladin level, so you can get out a maximum from your low level spells.

Basically the Pathfinder variant is very good.

On their own they are still a pretty solid class that can get great defense's. Dip a prestige class for mettle and you have a very robust class.

While they are MAD, I let people roll for stats in my campaings. When they get good rolls a paladin is a very attractive class.

Vortling
2010-02-23, 12:35 PM
I prefer the crusader, though I might use a cleric for it depending on what I was trying to pull off character wise.

Optimystik
2010-02-23, 01:48 PM

Favored Soul, Favored Soul, and wings.

Sanguine
2010-02-23, 01:49 PM

I thought Favored Soul was 3/4 BAB. :smallconfused:

cheezewizz2000
2010-02-23, 02:36 PM
I copy-pasta'd OneWinged4ngel's Paladin before the Wizard boards went skewiffy. I've posted this on these boards before, but it's handy to have it freely available.

So here's (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528002/The_Rebalanced_Paladin_Thread_2) the link to the Paladin Varient on the wizards' board.

And so I don't get accused of plagarism, or copyright infringement, or what ever else. I had no hand in writing any of this, and this is re-posted WITHOUT OneWinged4ngel's permission. All the work contained herein is the intellectual property of OneWinged4ngel, unless otherwise stated. Apart from all the OGL stuff. That belongs to Wizards of the Coast. Obviously.

So here's the character abilities and what they mean:

Detect Evil (Sp)
At will, a paladin can use detect evil, as the spell.

Smite Evil (Su)
Once per encounter, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that encounter.

At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per encounter, as indicated on Table: The Paladin, to a maximum of five times per encounter at 20th level. An encounter is considered over when you do no strenuous action for 1 minute or more.

Divine Grace (Su)
At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws, up to a maximum of her class level.

Lay on Hands (Su)
Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. She gains a pool of healing, which allows her to heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her paladin level × her Charisma bonus. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action. A Paladin may refresh this pool with a full minute (10 rounds) of concentration and prayer. Refreshing the pool brings the Paladin's pool of healing back up to the maximum (Paladin level * Charisma Bonus). She may fill her healing pool a number of times per day equal to 1 + half her Charisma modifier (rounded down).

Alternatively, a paladin can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. The paladin decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature. The target may make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 Paladin Level+Cha) to negate the damage.

The paladin's Lay on Hands gains additional capabilities as she progresses in level as a paladin. The paladin may use all additional effects in conjunction with healing, as long as she spends enough points.

Switchable Auras
All auras except Aura of Good are switchable as a move action. You may have only one aura other than Aura of Good active at a given time. These auras function while the paladin is conscious, but not while the paladin is unconscious or dead. The paladin's auras only affect her allies, and not the paladin herself.

Aura of Courage (Ex)
At 3rd level, the paladin may exude an aura of courage that inspires her allies. Each ally within 30 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. Aura of Courage's bonuses scale by level. At level 8, allies gain +6 to saves against fear, and a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls. At level 13, allies gain +8 to saves against fear, and a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls. At level 18, allies gain immunity to fear, and +3 morale bonus to attack rolls. This is a switchable Aura.

Hero's Courage (Ex)
Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise).

Divine Health (Ex)
At 3rd level, a paladin gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.

Turn Undead (Su)
When a paladin reaches 4th level, she gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. She may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 2 + her Charisma modifier. She turns undead as a cleric of her level-3.

Specialization
Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin may choose any of three abilities representing three different specializations: Charging Smite (Aggressive), Special Mount (Mounted), and Argent Bastion (Defensive)

-Argent Bastion
The paladin gains a number of abilities as she rises in level.
Level|Ability
5th|Shield Ward
8th|Cover
11th|Retribution
15th|Divine Wall

->Shield Ward
The Paladin gains Shield Ward as a bonus feat, even if the paladin does not meet the prerequisites.

->Cover (Ex)
Once per round, as long as the paladin is wielding a shield (and is not flatfooted or otherwise prevented from taking action), the paladin may interpose herself between an adjacent ally and an incoming attack as an immediate action. The paladin absorbs all damage the damage from this single attack, and any additional effects it might have (such as something requiring a save, etc). You must decide to use this ability after the attacker determines the attack has succeeded but before she rolls damage.

->Retribution
The paladin gains Retribution* as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites.

->Divine Wall (Su)
As long as the paladin wields a shield, her square blocks line of effect for all effects. For example, if allies hid behind the paladin when a dragon used its breath weapon from the opposite side, it would only hit the paladin.

-Charging Smite
The Paladin deals double damage when she charges and uses a smite evil attack.

-Special Mount (Sp)
The paladin gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve her in her crusade against evil. This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium paladin) or a warpony (for a Small paladin).

As full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in which it resides. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the paladin’s level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin and remains until dismissed. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service.

Each time the mount is called, it appears with the same hp it had previously, as well as any other effects it may have had (though some may have worn off because of their duration). Whether the mount is with you or not, things like poison run their course. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.

When the paladin rests for 8 hours (or long enough to restore his spells), the mount is restored to full hp.

Should the paladin’s mount die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The paladin may not summon another mount for thirty days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first, even if the mount is somehow returned from the dead. During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a -1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

The paladin’s mount is superior to a normal mount of its kind and has special powers, as described below. The standard mount for a Medium paladin is a heavy warhorse, and the standard mount for a Small paladin is a warpony. Another kind of mount, such as a riding dog (for a halfling paladin) or a Large shark (for a paladin in an aquatic campaign) may be allowed as well.

A paladin’s mount is treated as a magical beast, not an animal, for the purpose of all effects that depend on its type (though it retains an animal’s HD, base attack bonus, saves, skill points, and feats).

Panacean Touch (Su)
Upon reaching 6th level, whenever a paladin expends at least 10 points of healing from her lay on hands she may remove poison from any person she touches, and whenever she spends at least 20 points of healing she may remove disease from any person she touches. This is in addition to hit points restored.

Bonus Feats
At 7th level, and again at 14th level, the Paladin gains a bonus feat. At each such oppurtunity, a paladin may choose any Smite feat*, or a feat drawn from the following list. If a feat is labelled with "Aggressive", "Defensive", or "Mounted", then that feat may only be chosen by a paladin of the corresponding specialization.

Divine Cleansing (CW)
Divine Might (CW)
Divine Resistance (CW)
Divine Shield (CW)
Divine Vigor (CW)
Sacred Vengeance (CW)
Extra Smiting*
Divine Armor (PHB II)
Divine Justice (PHB II)
Shield Specialization (Defensive) (PHB II)
Armor Specialization (Defensive) (PHB II)
Agile Shield Fighter (Defensive) (PHB II)
Active Shield Defense (Defensive) (PHB II)
Improved Shield Bash (Defensive)

Mounted Combat (Mounted)
Mounted Archery (Mounted)
Ride-By Attack (Mounted)
Spirited Charge (Mounted)
Trample (Mounted)

Intimidating Strike (Aggressive) (PHB II)
Power Attack (Aggressive)
Cleave (Aggressive)
Great Cleave (Aggressive)
Weapon Focus (Aggressive)

Aura of Devotion (Ex)
Upon reaching 8th level, the Paladin may exude an Aura of Devotion. While this ability is active, the Paladin grants a +1 morale bonus to AC to all allies within 30 feet. At level 13, this bonus increases to +2. At level 18, this bonus increases to +3. This is a switchable aura.

Revitalizing Touch (Su)
Beginning at 9th level The Paladin can use her Lay on Hands ability to remove ability damage from a person she touches when she heals at least 5 points per point of ability damage to be removed (It is possible for only a portion of ability damage to be restored if the paladin does not spend enough to cure them all). This is in addition to hit points restored.

Vigilance (Su)
Upon reaching 11th level, the Paladin's ability to detect evil increases. When she uses her Detect Evil ability, the area of effect is a 60-foot radius centered on the Paladin, rather than a 60-foot cone.

Refreshing Touch (Su)
Beginning at 12th level Paladin can remove exhaustion, fatigue,sickness, and nausea with a touch whenever she spends at least 10 points from her lay on hands pool. This is in addition to hit points restored.

Aura of Resolve (Ex)
Beginning at 13th level, the paladin gains Aura of Resolve. While this ability is active, the Paladin grants the ability to reroll one Fortitude save every round to any ally within a 30ft radius of her. The decision to reroll must be made after the roll is made but before the result is declared. This is a switchable Aura.

Break Enchantment (Su)
Beginning at 16th level, the Paladin can break an enchantment with a touch whenever she expends at least 40 points of healing from her lay on hands ability. Her caster level for the purpouse of this effect is equal to her paladin caster level, just as if she had actually cast the Break Enchantment spell. This is in addition to hit points restored.

Constant Vigilance (Su)
Upon reaching 17th level, the Paladin is always vigilant for any signs of Evil, and her eyes begin to glow with an inner light. Her Detect Evil no longer requires any concentration to maintain, and has an unlimited duration.

Aura of Faith (Ex)
At 18th level, the paladin gains Aura of Faith. While this ability is active, the Paladin grants the ability to reroll one Will save every round to any one ally within a 30ft radius of her. The decision to reroll must be made after the roll is made but before the result is declared. This is a switchable Aura.

Energizing Touch (Su)
Beginning at 19th level, Paladin may remove negative levels from a subject whenever she spends at least 15 points from her lay on hands pool per negative level the target is afflicted with (It is possible for only a portion of negative levels to be restored if the paladin does not spend enough to cure them all). This is in addition to hit points restored.

A Hero Never Falls (Ex)
At 20th level, the paladin's sheer strength of will drives her on when death would claim lesser men. Once per day when a paladin would be reduced to 0 or less hp or otherwise killed (such as by a death effect), she instead is reduced to 1 hp. If the paladin would be killed by having an ability score reduced to zero, that score is instead reduced to 1.

Spells - Incidently, if someone could tell me how to get a table on these boards, I'd be grateful.
Spells:
Beginning at 4th level, a Paladin gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the Paladin spell list. A paladin must choose and prepare her spells in advance (see below).
To prepare or cast a spell, a paladin must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Paladin’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Paladin’s Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a paladin can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Paladin Spells Per Day. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score. When Table: Paladin Spells Per Day indicates that the Paladin gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, she gains only the bonus spells she would be entitled to based on her Charisma score for that spell level. The Paladin does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a cleric does.

A Paladin prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though she cannot lose a prepared spell to cast
a cure spell in its place. A paladin may prepare and cast any spell on the Paladin spell list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily prayer.
Through 3rd level, a Paladin has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, her caster level is her Paladin level minus 3.

The Paladin spells per day
{table]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th
1|-|-|-|-
2|-|-|-|-
3|-|-|-|-
4|0|-|-|-
5|1|-|-|-
6|2|-|-|-
7|2|0|-|-
8|3|1|-|-
9|3|2|-|-
10|3|2|0|-
11|4|3|1|-
12|4|3|2|-
13|4|3|2|0
14|4|4|3|1
15|5|4|3|2
16|5|4|3|2
17|5|4|4|3
18|5|5|4|3
19|5|5|4|3
20|6|5|4|4[/table]

Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
A paladin must be of Lawful Good alignment, and abide by a higher standard of morals and honor than the average Good-aligned person. Indeed, she is the paragon of heroic Good, drawn to a higher cause. Truly she is a person of high calibre, moral and otherwise.

There is a code of conduct presented in the PHB, but it really is better classified as an example of a generic paladin's vows and code. However, in your game being a paladin may mean quite a different thing altogether! After all, not all settings are the same, nor are all paladins. They serve various causes and deities, and the nature of Good and Evil is not always so stereotypically straightforward in all settings. Your code should represent the beliefs of your church or cause or whatever it is you, as a paladin, fight for!
Talk with your DM about what it means to be a paladin in your campaign, and the implications of it. If you are the DM, consider this, and what it really to be the paragon of good in your campaign. It should be noted that a single mistake or lack of perfection should not make a paladin fall. Indeed, is it not the lack of perfection and ultimately human(oid) nature of such a heroic figure that makes him all the more endearing and, truly, notable in calibre? After all, any old celestial can be perfect, but a man has to work for it.
Instead, the paladin falls from grace if she grossly violates her code (as stated, yet all too often overlooked, in the PHB. This means that some minor infraction would *not* make the Paladin fall), or if she changes alignment from Lawful Good. Your alignment should be your overall personality and outlook, not the result of the last action you took (although that last action *could* be considered to grossly violate the paladin's code, of course. The paladin's code is not synonymous with alignment). It should be extremely rare for a single act to alter your alignment, and it certainly shouldn't be so if the act was not done with wrongful intentions. Alignment changes should usually be the result of fairly consistent behavior of a character.

Ex-Paladins

A paladin who ceases to be lawful good or grossly violates her code loses all paladin spells and abilities. She may not progress any farther in levels as a paladin. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description), as appropriate.

Like a member of any other class, a paladin may be a multiclass character without hindrance.

Of course, it would seem that existing Paladin PrCs wouldn't fit well with the Rebalanced Paladin. One might ask "Hey, how does it make sense to get 2/encounter smites then get 1/day?" Fortunately for you, the Rebalanced Paladin was designed with easy adaptation in mind! For many prestige classes, adaptation is actually quite simple. Spellcasting doesn't need to be altered, as it continues to stay at "+1 per caster level." Fixing smite progressions is as simple as saying "You gain it per encounter, instead of per day." Those are the mainstays of the Rebalanced Paladin's power, and PrCs tend to give good benefits to make up for the loss of auras and Lay on Hands/specialization advancement. This is most of the work already for many paladin PrCs. In the case of abilities that are very similar to Smite Evil, smite feats should generally be allowed to apply (e.g. other Smite (alignment) feats). Indeed, even if the flavor is something like "Smite Good," it is a simple matter to reflavor them all saying "unholy" instead of "holy." If a class offers Lay on Hands advancement, just let it count as paladin levels for the sake of adding curative abilities, and replace the Lay on Hands text for the Prestige Class with the Lay on Hands description here.

For a few, however, you may want to make some adjustments. For example, you may want to say that a paladin PrC focused on leadership continues to advance auras, or you might decide that an aggressive PrC should allow the paladin to continue to advance his Charging Smite ability. These really are fairly minor adjustments that aren't strictly nescessary, and really are things you should be able to handle as a DM.

New Feats by OneWinged4ngel
New Feats

Smite feats are designed to give added options and versatility for the paladin during combat. Quite simply, more options makes combat more dynamic, interesting, and fun for the player. For the most part, Smite feats are weaker than a simple normal Smite Evil attack when fighting a single evil foe, and this is completely intentional. Smite feats are instead useful in other situations. All smite feats work on foes of any alignment unless otherwise noted, and as such help the paladin to contribute more in combats against things like constructs, oozes, or an angry tyrannosaurus. In the case of Conviction, for example, you get basically half the benefit of Smite Evil against any foe. Additionally, certain smite feats are more useful than a smite in unique situations, allowing a paladin to be more effective in more situations. For example, against multiple foes, Judgment can carve a swath through weaker enemies.
Smite feats are designed much like maneuvers in Tome of Battle. Most of them are related to a single, offensive attack with an instantaneous effect, or at least one that doesn't last for more than one round. The idea is basically that things like timed buffs are the domain of Divine feats. If you intend to design your own smite feats, keep a few things in mind:
1) Smite feats probably shouldn't have a duration that lasts very long, and should be related to some sort of action directly related to combat.
2) Smite feats should generally be weaker than a normal Smite Evil attack against a single evil foe.

New Feat Type: [Smite]
A smite feat allows you to channel the holy energy used to smite evil enemies iin new ways, expanding your options in combat.
All smite feats require the user to expend uses of their Smite Evil ability. Only one use of Smite Evil may be applied to any single attack. All Smite feats are considered Supernatural abilities, and cannot be used in any situation that such abilities would not function (such as in an antimagic field)

Celestial Lightning [Smite]
A fearsome bolt of lightning streaks from the sky and strikes your upraised weapon, arcing out in all directions and striking down surrounding foes.
Prerequisite: Holy Wrath (Electricity), Smite 3/encounter
Benefit: By expending a smite attempt as a full-round action, you raise your weapon above your head, and a lightning bolt strikes your weapon before arcing off in all directions to hit other targets. This is treated as a Chain Lightning Spell, with a caster level equal to your level in smiting classes. The weapon is considered the initial target (but takes no damage).
Note: Alternatively, the player may decide that the initial target is any other piece of equipment, or the character's body, as this is purely a flavor element.

Consecration [Smite]
You channel fearsome holy energy into your weapon and slams it into the earth, unleashing the stored energy into the ground and uplifting the earth around you in a powerful shockwave.
Prerequisite: Smite 4/encounter, Str 15
Benefit: As a standard action, by expending a use of your smites per encounter, you can unleash a powerful surge of holy energy into the ground. You immediately make a bull rush attempt against all enemies within a 30ft radius of you, for the purposes of this attack, you are considered one size category largrer than normal, and add your Charisma to the check rather than strength. Enemies may move further than 5 feet as if you had bullrushed and moved with them. Additionally, all enemies affected take damage equal to twice your Charisma modifier.

Conviction [Smite]
Holy energy fills you with righteous conviction, driving you forward in battle.
Prerequisite: Smite 1/encounter, Hero's Courage class feature, Cha 15
Benefit: By expending a use of your Smite Evil ability, you gain a morale bonus on your attack roll equal to your Charisma bonus for a single attack.

Divine Cross [Smite]
Prerequisite: Two Weapon Fighting, Smite 1/encounter
Benefit: When you are wielding two weapons (or a double weapon) and use a smite attempt, you may instead make a smite attempt with both one primary weapon attack and one offhand attack, but only expend one use of your smites per encounter.

Holy Wrath [Smite]
You summon holy energy in order to smite your foes.
Prerequisite: Smite 2/encounter, Cha 13
Benefit: As a standard action, you may expend a smite Evil attempt in order to create a burst of holy energy that damages a single target. The energy deals damage equal to 1d6 per level of smiting class, and the target get a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 paladin level+Cha) for half damage. Half of the damage dealt is of either Fire, Electricity, or Ice damage (Chosen at the time the feat is taken), and the other half is pure divine energy, which is not subject to energy resistance.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time, the paladin's holy wrath may correspond to a different element. For example, a paladin could take the Holy Wrath (Electricity) and then take Holy Wrath (Fire).

Inspiration [Smite]
You inspire your allies by channelling a divine prescence.
Prerequisite: Smite 2/encounter, Cha 15, switchable aura class feature
Benefit: You may expend a smite attempt as a swift action to activate this ability. For the next round, the Paladin's switchable aura's radius is trippled, and any bonuses are doubled. In the case of a benefit that may normally be used once per round, it may be used twice this round.

Judgment [Smite]
You channel pure holy energy into your weapon, and unleash a holy explosion with a swing, hurtling forward in a line through your enemies.
Prerequisite: Cha 15, Smite 3/encounter, Holy Wrath
Benefit: You may expend a use of your Smite Evil ability to use this ability as a standard action. You call forth a violent burst of holy energy, dealing 1d6 sacred damage per level of smiting class in a 5 foot wide line. The length of the line is equal to 25+5 feet/2 levels of smiting class. Targets get a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 paladin level+Cha) for half damage.

Reckoning [Smite]
You channel powerful holy energy into an overwhelmingly forceful blow that stuns your enemy.
Prerequisite: Str 13, Smite 2/encounter
Benefit: You may expend one use of your Smite Evil as a standard action in order to make a single melee attack. An enemy struck by this attack must make a Fort save (DC 10+1/2 level+Cha modifier) or be dazed for one round (In addition to taking normal damage from the attack).

Retribution [Smite]
You channel holy energy into your shield which is unleashed when you are attacked.
Prerequisite: Smite Evil 3/encounter, Shield Specialization
Benefit: As an immediate action when an opponent attempts to strike you, you may expend a use of your Smite Evil to add your Charisma bonus to your Shield Bonus to AC against this attack. If the opponent's attack misses, they are automatically knocked back 5 feet by the unleashed holy energy and take damage equal to twice your Charisma modifier. The movement provokes an attack of oppurtunity from anyone but you.

Vindication [Smite]
By channelling holy energy into your weapon, it can cross the nexus between planes and harm ethereal foes.
Prerequisite: Cha 13, Smite Evil 1/encounter
Benefit: You may expend a Smite Evil use to give all attacks for 1 round the benefit of the Ghost Touch weapon enhancement.

Holy Arrow [General]
Your presence and faith guide your arrows true. Your faith is not limited to the single-minded close combat of your peers.
Prerequisite: Smite Evil 1/encounter, Point Blank Shot
Benefit: You may use the Smite (alignment) ability with ranged weapons.

Extra Lay on Hands [General]
You are a focused healer, and are able to draw upon more holy power in order to heal yourself and your allies.
Prerequisite: Wis 13, Lay on Hands class feature
Benefit: You may refresh your Lay on Hands pool one extra time per day.

Extra Smiting [General]
You can make more smite attacks.
Prerequisites: Smite ability, base attack bonus +4
Benefit: When you take this feat, you gain one extra smite per encounter.
Note: This replaces the Extra Smiting feat written in Complete Warrior, which does not apply to the Rebalanced Paladin

And the Paladin's Mount
Paladin’s Mount (mounted Paladins only)
Paladin Level Bonus HD Natural Armour Adj Strength Adj Int Special
5-7 +2 +4 +1 6 Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Share Saving Throws
8-10 +4 +6 +2 7 Improved Speed
11-14 +6 +8 +3 8 Command Creatures of its kind
15+ +8 +10 +4 9 Spell Resistance

Paladin’s Mount Basics
Use the base statistics for a creature of the mount’s kind, but make changes to take into account the attributes and characteristics summarized on the table and described below.

Bonus HD
Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Extra Hit Dice improve the mount’s base attack and base save bonuses. A special mount’s base attack bonus is equal to that of a cleric of a level equal to the mount’s HD. A mount has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). The mount gains additional skill points or feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.

Natural Armor Adj.
The number on the table is an improvement to the mount’s existing natural armor bonus.

Str Adj.
Add this figure to the mount’s Strength score.

Int
The mount’s Intelligence score.

Empathic Link (Su)
The paladin has an empathic link with her mount out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The paladin cannot see through the mount’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically.

Note that even intelligent mounts see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible.

Because of this empathic link, the paladin has the same connection to an item or place that her mount does, just as with a master and his familiar.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a mount takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage if the saving throw fails.
Share Spells

At the paladin’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts on herself also affect her mount.

The mount must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the mount if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the mount again even if it returns to the paladin before the duration expires. Additionally, the paladin may cast a spell with a target of "You" on her mount (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself. A paladin and her mount can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the mount’s type (magical beast).

Share Saving Throws
For each of its saving throws, the mount uses its own base save bonus or the paladin’s, whichever is higher. The mount applies its own ability modifiers to saves, and it doesn’t share any other bonuses on saves that the master might have.

Improved Speed (Ex)
The mount’s base speed increases by 10 feet.

Command (Sp)
Once per day per two paladin levels of its master, a mount can use this ability to command other any normal animal of approximately the same kind as itself (for warhorses and warponies, this category includes donkeys, mules, and ponies), as long as the target creature has fewer Hit Dice than the mount. This ability functions like the command spell, but the mount must make a DC 21 Concentration check to succeed if it’s being ridden at the time. If the check fails, the ability does not work that time, but it still counts against the mount’s daily uses. Each target may attempt a Will save (DC 10 + ½ paladin’s level + paladin’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect.

Spell Resistance (Ex)
A mount’s spell resistance equals its master’s paladin level + 5. To affect the mount with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the mount’s spell resistance.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-23, 02:47 PM
My DM created a variation like Mystic Ranger, but they still had their HD and full BAB, but with FULL CASTING.... THAT was broken as hell, but nobody but me ran it. Speaking of which, he also made a houserule that Ronin could replace Paly Levels as if it were Samurai

faceroll
2010-02-23, 03:37 PM

Favored Soul is 3/4 BAB and only has proficiency with simple weapons + their deity's favored weapon. Pretty craptastic, imo.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-23, 04:15 PM
I humbly offer my Paladin housrule.

Paladin
- Gain Aura of Law as well as Good.
- Paladin's may Detect and Smite Chaos as well as Evil (reversed as necessary for Paladin Variants).
- Paladin's Smite is useable 1/5 rounds. Every time a Paladin would normally gain another use of it, they instead have to wait 1 less round to use it again (so at Level 20 they can use it 1/round, every round).
- Lose Remove Disease.
- All weapons the Paladin wields (as long as they are proficient in them) are threated as Lawful and Good aligned for overcoming Damage Reduction.
- Lay on Hands works like Dragon Shaman's Touch of Vitality ability (Double Level*Cha Bonus, etc).
- Gain Bard's Spellcasting progression (including Spells known), using the Cleric Spell list as well as the normal Paladin list (minus any spells opposed to the Paladin's alignment).

I'm loathe to change their Spellcasting from Wis to Cha, but if you want to reduce their MAD then you can either do that or change Smite/LoH to Wis instead (which I prefer).

9mm
2010-02-23, 04:45 PM
I'm Partial to the Penny Dreadful Paladin... but then I'm biased; being one of them.