PDA

View Full Version : Best Books for a DM to own? (3.5e)

HunterOfJello
2010-02-22, 06:43 PM
In your opinions, what are the best books for a DM to physically own for playing 3.5e?

I have access to tons of DnD resources on my PC, but having a pdf (or the SRD) and having a book in your hand are completely different.

At the moment I have physical copies of:

The Player's Handbook 3.5e
Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5e
Monster Manual 3.5e
Tome of Battle
Cityscape (borrowed)
Heroes of Battle (borrowed)

AD&D DM Guide
The Spell Compendium

For basic information about feats or base classes I can print out pages or copy a few sentences down from a random book off my PC. What I'm looking for are books that are especially useful to have in-hand while playing or for constant use.

I've been told that a copy of the DM Guide II 3.5e has a lot of useful information for DMs on how to roleplay. I've been told the same thing about Player's Handbook II 3.5e but for players (which might concern me less since I'm a DM). The Magic Items Compendium seems very desireable for generating magical items outside of the basic magic items from the DM guide. And the Arms and Equipment Guide looks like it could be useful, however I think it's 3e and might be the same stuff that's featured in the Magic Items Compendium.

Any information you can give about which books you find the most useful as a DM, think could help me improve my skills as a DM, or add a lot to the game by having in-hand would be much appreciated.

*edit*

Also, does anyone know any good places to purchase 3.5e books online other than amazon or ebay?

Jodo Krast
2010-02-22, 06:48 PM
Well, I recommend the Monster Manual II, but III and onward just gets silly. I have everything I need for creatures in I and II. In addition, I have found that Complete Warrior helped me a lot in my mercenary campaign.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-22, 06:49 PM
Unearthed Arcana.

On the downside, much of it is on the SRD, making it less attractive to buy....but on the upside, the book is practically designed for DMs. All sorts of fun alternative options, it's an exciting book for those of us who like to toy with things.

Arms and equipment is much more mundane focused than MiC is...but frankly, MiC is better. Vastly better item balance in general than the DMG, and it introduces a lot of variety. Item sets are kind of cool too, as are adding bonuses to existing gear.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-22, 06:50 PM
Well, I recommend the Monster Manual II, but III and onward just gets silly. I have everything I need for creatures in I and II. In addition, I have found that Complete Warrior helped me a lot in my mercenary campaign.
Ha! I quoted myself!

Chrono22
2010-02-22, 06:50 PM
I'd say the magic item compendium has made all levels of play for my group more fun.

The spell compendium... eh, not so much. It only powers up casters.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-22, 06:52 PM
I agree, Chrono22. The book Complete ARcane also makes spellcasters too powerful. One of the other people in a group I'm in is a wizard, and they recently got that book. Now they're hogging all the XP and treasure.

Noedig
2010-02-22, 06:54 PM
As a DM the following are good books.
Tome of Battle is a great book if you want to run a war or an over arching conflict in your campaign.
Lords of Madness, Elder Evils, Book of Vile Darkness, Exemplars of Evil, the Fiend Folios(1,2) Libris Mortis and Heroes of Horror are all great evil themed books for a DM dealing with a party of good players.
Conversely the Book of Exalted Deeds, and the like are great for DMs with evil parties.
Book of Challenges is a good one.
Arms and Equipment is an awesome gear book.
Enemies and Allies is good for developing npcs.
Manual of the Planes is essential in case your party unexpectedly leaves the material.

There are tons of great books out there.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-22, 06:54 PM
I agree, Chrono22. The book Complete ARcane also makes spellcasters too powerful. One of the other people in a group I'm in is a wizard, and they recently got that book. Now they're hogging all the XP and treasure.

God, I hate Resonant Lightning Bolt.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-22, 06:56 PM
Tip: you don't really need the Epic Level Handbook, even if you players go past 20th level. It's just a waste of paper in my opinion.

arguskos
2010-02-22, 06:57 PM
DMG2 is pretty good actually. PHB2 is also good, even as a DM (give it to your players for sparking ideas).

I personally like Elder Evils as well, just because it's got a lot of good adventure outlines, which can help you build a good campaign yourself.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-22, 06:58 PM
Also, the Psionics Handbook is good if you're planning on using mind flayers (who isn't:smallbiggrin:). The Expanded Handbook isn't that good though. That's all the advice I've got.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-22, 07:00 PM
Tip: you don't really need the Epic Level Handbook, even if you players go past 20th level. It's just a waste of paper in my opinion.

This is true. Anything you could possibly want is on the SRD already. Mostly...epic feats and epic monsters are plenty. If someone tells you epic spellcasting exist, remember, it's a damn lie.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-22, 07:04 PM
Also, the Psionics Handbook is good if you're planning on using mind flayers (who isn't:smallbiggrin:). The Expanded Handbook isn't that good though. That's all the advice I've got.

:smallconfused:

What? The Psionics Handbook 3.0 was replaced by the XPH. Which is a -far- better product. Not only is it more streamlined, but it gives alot of options. On top of improved Psion rules...well. The point is, Psionic's Handbook would require houserules. And why bother with a broken product?

Tyndmyr
2010-02-22, 07:05 PM
If you're looking for a book on mindflayers, Lords of Madness is the place to go. It's got all the abberation goodness you could possibly want and more.

HunterOfJello
2010-02-22, 07:07 PM
I've used info from an Unearthed Arcana pdf pretty regularly and really love the book. I'm not sure how much more useful it would be to have on hand all the time compared to just grabbing ideas off of every now and then.

I should probably also ask, are there any non-WoTC books that you've found useful?

*edit*

Aberrations are fun. That sounds tempting.

As far as psionics go, none of my players have shown any interest in it at all, so I may just avoid it completely in the campaign I'm setting up.

Hallavast
2010-02-22, 07:16 PM
I'd like to add emphasis to the suggestion of Arms and Equipment. This book is great for world building. While the Magic Item Compendium is far superior for magic items, Arms and Equipment is a great source of useful nonmagical items. Any campaign or DM concerned with the logistics of travel, magical animal handling/training, economy and trade, or maintaining an army would greatly benefit from this book.

Tyndmyr
I should probably also ask, are there any non-WoTC books that you've found useful?

I enjoy a few of the mongoose books, but quality varies wildly. Their Ultimate Spell Compendium, for example, has an issue with far too many spells doing untyped damage. However, the class focused books tend to have a bunch of not-particularily powerful, but rather interesting and well fluffed options. Not campaign critical by any means, but something fun to read through for inspiration.

As far as psionics go, none of my players have shown any interest in it at all, so I may just avoid it completely in the campaign I'm setting up.

If nobody is interested in them, that's exactly what I'd do, with a possible exception for a boss or something once to make them feel exotic. In general, it's easier to focus on the things people care about.

Edit: Oh, SBG fits in nicely with arms and equipment for building a believable world. Some excellent options in there, just mostly ignore the prices.

Grommen
Undearthed Arcana is a good one if you want to tweek rules. It's also a good read.
Players Handbook II is pretty good.
Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium are good, but some of the things can wreck your game.

From a development standpoint to write your own adventures I have found the following books really good works.

Fiendish Codex I and II (Tons of info on Demons and Devils)
Frostburn (Freezing your players never felt so good)
Book of Vial Darkness (It's Vial and it's dark)
AEG's "Book of Evil" (very good incite into the mind of the bad guys)

Some of the Forgotten Realms books were good, the one on the Moonsea was a good read.

Artemiz
2010-02-22, 07:21 PM
I'm going to go ahead and inadvertently endorse Rich a bit here in saying that I absolutely love Dungeonscape. The dungeon elements and gear detailed within have proved to be of more than great use to me over the past few years. It's a spectacular book, and I'd highly recommend it.

For any online gaming material purchases, I use Troll and Toad (http://www.trollandtoad.com/). They've never failed me, and they run a great service.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-22, 07:24 PM
That's a very good point. See, the thing is, other campaign settings, like frostburn or stormwrack, are unlikely to be included in a campaign unless you plan specifically to focus on that.

Cityscape and Dungeonscape are extremely likely to be useful without any particular campaign direction, and thus, you'll get more use out of them.

I do like the others, particularily stormwrack, but Ive never played a full campaign on the water, even in 7th Sea, yet it's extremely rare that Im in a campaign where cities and dungeons don't feature prominently.

Artemiz
2010-02-22, 07:28 PM
Cityscape and Dungeonscape are extremely likely to be useful without any particular campaign direction, and thus, you'll get more use out of them.
Ive never played a full campaign on the water, even in 7th Sea, yet it's extremely rare that Im in a campaign where cities and dungeons don't feature prominently.

Very true. I can honestly say that I crack open Dungeonscape at least a couple times with every dungeon I design, and my players even use it during sessions to buy gear from.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-22, 09:26 PM
Might I suggest Magic of Incarnum? Complex six ways to Sunday, but a great resource for unique character builds.

Samb
2010-02-22, 09:40 PM
Any of the complete series is nice to have for NPC and Villian generation. I like stronghold builder with dungeonscape to make detailed dungeons or for my PCs to eventually take hold of.

Monster manuals 1-5. You should have them especially if you have players that know every iconic monster, this can really shake them up and add some new flavor to the same old same old.

god666LOLLIRONY
2010-02-23, 01:29 AM
I second DMG2, it basically has useful tips and tricks for being a solid DM, and ideas about and for NPC's, PC's, organizations, and locations. I think it complements the DMG really well. And MIC is very good to have a physical copy of too. Good luck!

Egiam
2010-02-23, 01:31 AM
I like campaign setting books. Even if I don't use the setting, I can often transplant stuff into my game.

arguskos
I'll also toss out Tome of Magic. If you want some fairly complex magic systems to shake things around and really put a fire under your players boots, the Binder and Shadowcaster can provide. Just remember: there is no Truenamer.

Dr Bwaa
MIC is a must-have, period. The sheer number of items tables, not to mention how much better everything is done in there... it's worth getting just for that. Plus, it's full of lovely items. That would be my first buy.

Kaiyanwang
2010-02-23, 02:57 AM
Unearthed Arcana.

Seconded. It simply amplifies by 1000 your ability of world building.

Heroes of Horror and Manual of the Planes, I found very inspiring, too.

Emmerask
2010-02-23, 02:58 AM

All the mongoose Slayer's Guide to are really interesting and add a lot of backstory to various monsters.
I also liked the mongoose Encyclopaedia Arcane - Star Magic quite a lot :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2010-02-23, 03:11 AM
Fiendish Codex I and II (Tons of info on Demons and Devils)

I cannot do anything except join this recommendation. They're both GREAT for fluff and ideas.
Also, merely for the fluff, I suggest the manual of the Planes (AD&D), with description of Sigil, the Factions, etc. etc.

faceroll
2010-02-23, 04:22 AM
I recommend Fiend Folio (some really brutal monsters in there, probably some of the best), BoVD, Dungeonscape, Player's Guide to Faerun, Eberron Campaign Setting, MM2, MM3, Unearthed Arcana, Heroes of Horror, Fiendish Codex 1 & 2, and maybe Frostburn, Stormwrack, or It's Hot Outside. Exemplars of Evil has some really great plot outlines that are easily inserted into your campaign, from level 1 to 20.

The campaign setting books are full of interesting ideas, plot outlines, NPCs, maps, and areas. I just like paging through them to get inspired or a feeling or whatever for an idea I want to run.

I liked MM3, but agree with your assessment of 4&5. They're full of monsters with class levels, something you should already be doing. They do have remade adventure sites & encounters, though. Sometimes I like my random encounters to be less party-tailored, and I'm not that good at drawing maps, so anything that's heavy on maps is helpful.

I'll also toss out Tome of Magic. If you want some fairly complex magic systems to shake things around and really put a fire under your players boots, the Binder and Shadowcaster can provide. Just remember: there is no Truenamer.

Meh. You're the DM. You can have Truenamer level 8 vs. party level 5 and have them do quite handily. And that item of truenaming +30? Who's going to want that crap?

Drascin
2010-02-23, 04:38 AM

Okay, I'm going to disagree extremely strongly here. MM2 is widely considered to be a distaster and I agree completely with such an assessment.

If you need to have another MM, go for III or V. III preferably.

Kaiyanwang
2010-02-23, 04:39 AM
Just adding few things: when you said

AD&D DM Guide

I had the temptation to say "you have everything you need.." :smallwink:

About MM:

MMI: is core, so ok.

MMII: take it easy: is full of awesome monster, just don't believe too much in CRs, eyeball them

MMIII: Monsters here definitively kick ***es. the style overall, I like it less, but the undeads, the demons, templates... and Trolls, are just good.

MMIV: I see, pre-made monsters with class levels are annoying, but fiends, fey, elementals and dragonspawn are worthy.

MMV see above, but Thoon and, again, fey* are awesome. "Phase" monsters are introduced, a funny "4theditionism" with the badassery of 3rd edition.

I found really GREAT too Fiendish Codexes, and even more, Frostburn, Sandstorm and Stormwrack, in this order. Don't overlook Drow of the Underdark and Forgotten Realms Underdark and Magic of Faerun, can be even better of the above for certain kind of campaings.

* maybe my comments are influenced by the fact that I love fey, but Glaistig (MMIII), Verdant Prince (MMIV) and Wild Hunt and Frostwind Virago (MMV) are pure awesome.

faceroll
2010-02-23, 04:56 AM
While the Thoon are a pretty cool idea, I'll save you the 30 bucks. They're mind flayers with cleric levels abusing non-associated class CR rules, and they have a cyborg flavor.

Yora
2010-02-23, 07:49 AM
Heroes of Horror and Manual of the Planes, I found very inspiring, too.
Just love these two. I don't know if there's actually that much material in them that I use in my games, but I'd say they are the two best books to give a gm ideas.
I also add Lords of Madness to it for the same reason. And these are the three books I still keep in addition to the core books.

Optimystik
2010-02-23, 07:58 AM
Seconding DMG2, The Book of Bad Latin, MM 2 & 3, Fiend Folio, BoVD, Heroes of Horror, Lord of Madness, The Fiendish Codices (especially FC2), and Tome of Magic.

I agree that UA is a great book, but shouldn't be at the top of your list since so much of the crunch is in the SRD. Get it, but after you've gotten

For 3rd-party, if you like psionics at all you WILL get Hyperconscious. Your players will love you for it, and the options will give you a ton of ideas for campaigns.

Truenaming is fun for villains - they can really mess with players' heads, and any items that boost truenaming won't empower your non-Truenamer players. Truenaming also has plenty of unique effects that will really floor players - who could ever see Spell Rebirth coming?

AslanCross
2010-02-23, 08:25 AM

Actually, I find MMII to be the silliest of all. It has a whole bunch of creatures with epic CRs that just seem so strange. I find MMIII to be the most balanced of all outside MMI.

Rappy
2010-02-23, 08:42 AM
Well, since many official books have been trotted out, I'll list some third parties for you.

Tome of Horrors (Necromancer Games): In my opinion, one of the most beautiful titles in existence. 400+ monsters, templates, and hazards from older editions converted to 3rd, from the lowly rot grub to the mighty Anthraxus, lord of the daemons/yugoloths. Fun stuff.

Advanced Gamemaster's Guide, Player's Manual, and Bestiary (Green Ronin): Fun alternate rules for DMs and players alike can be found in the Advanced series.

Book of Templates Deluxe Edition 3.5 (Silverthorne Games): As its name implies, it is a book containing an absurdly large amount of templates. These range in scope from Spellpowered (which is simply a system that allows you to easily give a creature Spell-like Abilities) to the terrifying Apocalyptic Creature (which gives you an instant epic-level nightmare to wield around).

Frost and Fur (MonkeyGod Enterprises): If you ever wanted to have Inuit, Norse, Russian, or Ice Age-based magic, classes, and monsters....or heck, even just an Arctic-themed game...this is the title for you.

From Stone to Steel (MonkeyGod Enterprises): From the same company as above, FSS extensively covers arms and armor from the Stone Age to the Renaissance, as well as legendary items such as the hide of the Nemean Lion or Bobbi-Bobbi's magical rib. A good book if you want some more items on hand.

Tyrmatt
2010-02-23, 09:24 AM
Heroes of Horror offers up fantastic advice for DMing, even if you don't incorporate the most horrific elements and PHB2 lets you get access to some more bizarre NPCs. Tome of Magic also adds some wonderful fluff, just stay away from the Truenamer :p

enigmatime
2010-02-24, 09:04 PM

I am not! We haven't gotten any XP or treasure since I got it! :smallannoyed: