PDA

View Full Version : Redeemed Blackguards?

Wahrheit
2010-02-22, 08:18 PM
So blackguards that used to be paladins get additional powers, since evil always loves a fallen do-gooder. It makes sense that good would love a redeemed evildoer, conversely. Is there any way for a former blackguard to become a paladin, and would they gain any bonuses for doing so?

Thurbane
2010-02-22, 08:22 PM
I would assume that a former Paladin Blackguard who reformed his alignment, and received a sufficient Atonement would regain his Paladin abilities, but lose all of his Blackguard class features (except BAB, saves and skill ranks, from memory). Would make for an interesting, but underpowered, character (essentially his Blackguard levels would become Warrior levels).

He should be able to resume levelling up in Paladin, assuming no other multiclassing prevents it. A very generous DM might allow the Paladin to swap out the Blackguard levels for Grey Guard or Fighter levels...

Defiant
2010-02-22, 08:26 PM
Personally, I'd rule it that, given sufficient (i.e. grandiose) atonement, a Blackguard should be able to swap in levels of Blackguard for levels of Paladin, just like it works vice-versa.

That's not how it works by RAW, but who cares...

deuxhero
2010-02-22, 08:28 PM
He keeps every ability, but can no longer progress in the class (not sure on that last bit, as that would make epic dragon disiple weird.). Only CW (and CA) have PRCs that say that book's prcs are lost if you no longer qualify.

Frosty
2010-02-22, 08:29 PM
So you can swap Blackguard for levels in a class that is underpowered to begin with? Very very generous indeed. Try to swap it for Crusader levels instead :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-02-22, 08:31 PM
He keeps every ability, but can no longer progress in the class (not sure on that last bit, as that would make epic dragon disiple weird.). Only CW (and CA) have PRCs that say that book's prcs are lost if you no longer qualify.
Yeah, that always seemed like a bit of wonky reading/selective omission to me. Does the Rules Compendium clear this up at all, since it was supposed to be the "definitive" 3.5 rules source?