PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] - Warforged why ever play one?

Smythen
2010-02-23, 08:22 AM
I was planning to introduce Warforged in a game im about to run, because i find them flavorfull. Then i read up on them and ralised that its just about the worst player race i can imagine.

+2 con, -2 wis and cha. = -2 stat --> sucky
Doesnt heal normally = problematic
Some imunes vs some vulnerabilities. = ok

and now to the worst part.
Uses feats to get armor. and doesnt have a "item slot" for cloaks...

What i fear is that none of the players will chose to play one.

So im thinking that they need a little altering.

kentma57
2010-02-23, 08:25 AM
I was planning to introduce Warforged in a game im about to run, because i find them flavorfull. Then i read up on them and ralised that its just about the worst player race i can imagine.

So im thinking that they need a little altering.

But their skin is made of Adamantine, they ignore an objects hardness! It is more useful than you might think.

Freylorn
2010-02-23, 08:26 AM
Main reason I can think of to play one is juicy, juicy Soul Eater goodness.

kamikasei
2010-02-23, 08:30 AM
Warforged are generally regarded as quite strong. Perhaps you're weighting the strengths of those immunities differently to most?

and doesnt have a "item slot" for cloaks...

Wait, what? I don't recall this, and I've played warforged. Did I miss a rule somewhere?

Eloel
2010-02-23, 08:36 AM
There's a problem here.
For any non-caster or int-based caster, this is a free +2 con in expense of -1 will save. Wis and Cha, unless you focus on them, is pretty useless.
Con?
Con determines HP, so it's useful for -everyone-.
If you're not calling that stat adjustments a bonus, at least call it even - there's a reason why Dragonborn & Dwarves are considered powerful.

BooNL
2010-02-23, 08:37 AM
Because Warforged + Druid = Dinobots.

Also, their list of immunities is pretty good. Light fortification, no need to sleep or eat, (that's a suped up ring of sustenance and a +1 enchantment bonus right there), no breathing (immune to gas attacks) and some other stuff I can't recall right now.

Also, robots.

kamikasei
2010-02-23, 08:39 AM
Also, robots.

Observation: the OP already acknowledged that they were flavourful, meatbag.

Smythen
2010-02-23, 08:40 AM
Warforged are generally regarded as quite strong. Perhaps you're weighting the strengths of those immunities differently to most?

Wait, what? I don't recall this, and I've played warforged. Did I miss a rule somewhere?

UPS! ist robes ofcourse, my bad.

AslanCross
2010-02-23, 08:40 AM

I agree that this sucks, but that's the worst part of the warforged. It's easy to go around and in the end only total to a -1 penalty to the relevant checks. Later on it won't really matter.

They can heal themselves by using repair kits overnight. Granted the craft check is kinda steep, but having an artificer fixes things easily. [/quote]

That poison immunity has saved me. We were a party of three---one human, one changeling and one warforged in Eyes of the Lich Queen. Guess who weathered the poisoned arrow ambush without problems.

Their base composite plating can be enchanted if your players really don't want to a feat on adamantine or mithral body, but seriously, I've found that level 1 full plate equivalent to be a great boon. +2 adamantine body of speed = AWESOME.

And no item slot for cloaks? I think you mean robes. If you really want to wear a robe, take Unarmored Body.

You also forget that they have a natural weapon that they get a Strength Bonus x1.5 for damage (since it's their only natural weapon), which works fantastically well with a reach weapon.

They also get a whole bunch of really cool exclusive gear like battlefists (if you use Magic Item Compendium, customization can give you things like battlefists that add enhancement bonuses to strength).

I've played as a warforged and I've also had one as a badass NPC in my Red Hand of Doom campaign. The players loved him.

As my warforged, Flamberge-Two, would say:
FLESH IS WEAK!

BooNL
2010-02-23, 08:41 AM
Observation: the OP already acknowledged that they were flavourful, meatbag.

Still bears repeating.

Was always a bit more partial to the uselessness of G0T0 though...

Eldan
2010-02-23, 08:43 AM
Really, they are one of the strongest races around if you want a melee fighter, at least amongst types without LA. Fortification, the immunities and the con bonus make you really hard to kill at low levels, and since you don't need to sleep, you have plenty of time to repair yourself.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-23, 08:44 AM
Immunities are awesome, for starters. Also, relatively hard to come by.

It also gives you access to some great feats. Two feats in, you can be immune to crits and sneak attacks. This is pretty hard to accomplish at this level. The good armor option also provides DR, which is a nifty bonus, and which can be stacked if you've got feats to spare. All of this happens without occupying item slots or taking up gold.

This gives you a beast of a character at low levels, and at higher levels, you don't need to spend xp and slots on picking up all those immunities. I consider this valuable enough to be a viable sorc/divine caster for specific builds, even at the price of a negative to the casting stat. This is pretty rare.

Note that the repair spells mean that arcane casters can easily heal themselves without magic items. Also, not needing to sleep is situationally pretty handy.

Smythen
2010-02-23, 08:45 AM
OK! they have nice immunities and resistances and are made of adamantine.
and ill give you that +2con is an ok swap. But not compared to the dwarf or the Gnome.

But they still have to spend a feat to get mediocre AC...

Ill probably just have to be friendly with enchantments on the armor, or allow them to ad magical armorpieces to their bodies.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-23, 08:46 AM

You're hung up on this part...if there's one thing fighter builds have in volume, it's feats. Trading a feat off for all those immunities is a hell of a bargain.

Zen Master
2010-02-23, 08:50 AM
It depends what you use them for. A warforged artificer can be nigh invincible.

Eldan
2010-02-23, 08:52 AM
Look at it like this: with starting equipment, a fighter at level 1 can't afford a suit of armour near as good as what you get with warforged feats. But he has enough feats to spend.

Totally Guy
Warforged or 10 levels of Green Star Adept?:smallwink:

Smythen
I was actually planning og banning warforged casters. Their masters have a monopoly in that field. Forgot to say that sorry.

Cyclocone
2010-02-23, 08:54 AM
Warforged have vulcan syndrome; they get a metric crapton of racial abilities that might not appear that overwhelming at first glance, but that a MinMaxer can exploit for great profit. I certainly went OMGWTFBBQ when I saw them and noticed that they were LA +0

Normally they're just a fairly decent race, and the real key to their powah is when everyone is playing a warfoged. That way the healing crap doesn't actually affect you, since you can just cut clerics out of the equation and replace them with more wizards.

This also makes the -otherwise rather situational- immunities crazy-good, since a caster can use them very proactively.

TL;DR GoGoGo tireless indestructible barbarians and self-sustaining cloudy-conjuring wizards.

Mordokai
2010-02-23, 08:57 AM
With a few ranks in Gemcutting, a warforged has can repair themselves over the night. Not as good as artificer, but it will help.

The running gag at our table was that my warforged barbarian was emo, since he was cutting himself every night :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-02-23, 09:06 AM
Warforged or 10 levels of Green Star Adept?:smallwink:10 levels of Renegade Mastermaker?

Optimystik
2010-02-23, 09:09 AM
Warforged or 10 levels of Green Star Adept?:smallwink:

Warforged. Con > No Con.

Not to mention, a Warforged Wizard 20 doesn't lose caster levels.

Runestar
2010-02-23, 09:16 AM

Or they could simply not take an armour feat, and wear armour instead. Spending a feat to nab the equivalent of mithral breastplate or adamantine armour at 1st lv is simply an option, but one that is so good few give it up unless they are playing arcane spellcasters (in which case they then go dragonborn to get rid of composite plating). :smallbiggrin:

kamikasei
2010-02-23, 09:24 AM
Or they could simply not take an armour feat, and wear armour instead. Spending a feat to nab the equivalent of mithral breastplate or adamantine armour at 1st lv is simply an option...

Not exactly. They have the equivalent of leather armor by default. If they wanted to wear other armor, they'd need to take the Unarmored Body feat first. Mithral and Adamantine Body just improve the basic composite plating; they don't give you armor out of nowhere.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 09:53 AM
You're hung up on this part...if there's one thing fighter builds have in volume, it's feats. Trading a feat off for all those immunities is a hell of a bargain.

Not even that. A High AC is a heavy investment. A warforged PC is actually better off not caring about AC in the long run, only low-level characters care about their AC.

Person_Man
2010-02-23, 09:57 AM
Various things:

At levels 1-3, Warforged generally have the best AC and DR available.
Their immunities are pretty extensive: Poison, sleep, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, sickened, energy drain, anything that requires breathing, plus partial fortification. Entire categories of enemies which are deadly to some PCs are meaningless jokes to you.
Natural Slam Attack: Warforged basically get 1 extra melee attack (at a -5 penalty) every turn that they can make a full attack (which should be every turn, if you know what you're doing). Natural attacks count for Power Attack and Weapon Finesse.
Since they don't need to sleep, they are never surprised in their sleep, and can always stand guard. About 50% of the campaigns I've been in since age 12 have involved being ambushed in our sleep at some point.
Since they don't need to eat, they never have to worry about finding food. This is a pretty minor thing, but if you're stuck in the world's largest dungeon, it's a deal.
Racial Feats: An efficient way to add extra attacks or improve AC, especially at low levels.

I consider Warforged among the more powerful races, along with Human, Dragonborn, Elan, Goliaths, Bariaur, Earth Dwarf, Mongrelfolk, Neraphim, Raptorian, Strongheart Halfling, Volodni, Water Orc, and Kalashtar.

Hunter Noventa
2010-02-23, 10:51 AM
Warforged + Bloodstorm Blade = ROCKET FISTS

Smythen
2010-02-23, 10:52 AM
@ person man ad Whisper Gnome to that list :smallwink:

Ok. i yield, havent read through all of the feats out there for them.
Maybe i should actually make sure that its not the best min/max'er in the group that playes the warforged.

bosssmiley
2010-02-23, 10:59 AM
I was planning to introduce Warforged in a game I'm about to run, because i find them flavorful. Then i read up on them and realised that its just about the worst player race i can imagine.

Doesn't heal normally = problematic
Some immunities vs some vulnerabilities. = ok

OK? The ability to survive without breathing is just ok? Drowning your enemies, or lumbering out of the poison gas cloud of a cloudkill towards the terrified, choking enemy has no appeal to you? :smallconfused:

Uses feats to get armor. and doesn't have a "item slot" for cloaks...

The Warforged are the most characterful and plot-hooky things to come out of Eberron. Their chapter was about the best thing in Races of Eberron.

They're frikkin' magic robots. You get the whole Frankenstein/Pinocchio/Galataea/Blade Runner 'quest for humanity' thing as an automatic character hook.
You get to lumber around growling "WARFORGED!" as your sole response to anything.
Porth-OS:

http://1d4chan.org/images/9/92/Warforged_reforged.jpg

Won-a-won, my old Warforged ranger character (personality and HUEG handlebar moustache modeled off Windsor Davies in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum") was one of the most fun things I've ever played. Sure, my class/race choice combo was sub-optimal, but half-decent play covered that base.

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-23, 11:03 AM
I'd say a feat for something that costs 15000 gp at first level is pretty good.

crazedloon
2010-02-23, 11:05 AM
also no one can steal the warforged's armor (or weapons or other gear you build into them)which I know seems to be a reoccurring plot device in games I play in.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 11:06 AM
The Warforged are the most characterful and plot-hooky things to come out of Eberron. Their chapter was about the best thing in Races of Eberron.

[LIST=1] They're frikkin' magic robots. You get the whole Frankenstein/Pinocchio/Galataea/Blade Runner 'quest for humanity' thing as an automatic character hook.
You get to lumber around growling "WARFORGED!" as your sole response to anything.

1: I hate that stereotype. Not all Warforged want to become humans (Lord of Blades and his followers, for example).
2: Wis/Cha penalty, not Int.

Volthawk
2010-02-23, 11:27 AM
1: I hate that stereotype. Not all Warforged want to become humans (Lord of Blades and his followers, for example).

I agree. There's 2 PrCs about that. One about becoming more construct, the other more biological.

One of the two, Warforged Juggernaut, is very nice IMO:

-Free Armor Spikes
-When charging, you move an extra 5 feet, get +2 to the attack roll, get
-When bull rushing, yo add your class level to the check, can deal armour spike damage when rushing.
-More immunities (critical hits, nonlethal damage, mind-affecting, death effects, necromancy effects,ability damage)

However, there are downsides, but one isn't too bad (except if you're the face of the party) but one is. Immunity to healing spells and potions. You can still be healed by craft, though.

Asheram
2010-02-23, 11:51 AM
It depends what you use them for. A warforged artificer can be nigh invincible.

Don't forget that when you take Custom Warforged Components into play, they become the most awesome creatures alive!

(Now where did I put that thread about making a bionic comando arm by using rod of ropes?)

Just_Ice
2010-02-23, 12:02 PM
Warforged are beastly in low-level survivalist campaigns.

They've also got a natural slam attack, which is just fun in general. With a bit of tinkering and if your DM is pretty casual you can do some downright ridiculous stuff with your body, too. Quadruped, nothin', you can have eight legs. Or chariot wheels.

I played a Warforged Knight with a lance and a blue pompadour, and it was a total blast. It was a desert planet and I was basically the robot from Lost in Space if the robot from Lost in Space broke arms and could take advantage of some knight features and was annoyed by everyone rather than the other way around.

kentma57
2010-02-23, 12:02 PM
A warforged artificer is invincible.

Fixed for you. :smallbiggrin:

Forever Curious
2010-02-23, 12:05 PM

This is true. I can't quote, but the Warforged Composite Plating takes up their cloak slot. You need the Unarmored Body feat to wear cloaks.

Optimystik
2010-02-23, 12:07 PM

This - and plenty of thinking Warforged join the LoB too. A large number of Psiforged are among his supporters, according to MoE.

kamikasei
2010-02-23, 12:12 PM
This is true. I can't quote, but the Warforged Composite Plating takes up their cloak slot. You need the Unarmored Body feat to wear cloaks.

Since the OP has said that was a typo and he meant robes, please do quote.

Ormagoden
2010-02-23, 12:14 PM
Still bears repeating.

Indeed it does Bear repeating.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-23, 12:15 PM
Robes, not cloaks.

Optimystik
2010-02-23, 12:16 PM

Let's lay this one to rest. Cloaks are fine.

Composite Plating: The plating used to build a warforged provides a +2 armor bonus. This plating is not natural armor and does not stack with other effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural armor). This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes.

It says robes and armor, but nothing about cloaks.

There is even a shot of a Warforged wearing a cloak, in Magic of Eberron.

Forever Curious
2010-02-23, 12:17 PM
Since the OP has said that was a typo and he meant robes, please do quote.

*rereads the Ebberon Campaign setting* ...oh :smallredface: Can't be right all the time... *fades into obscurity*

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-23, 12:21 PM
Can't be right all the time...I could've been, but I took a flaw in exchange for the Extra Comeliness feat. *Hair swish, heroic pose.*

Greenish
2010-02-23, 12:22 PM
It says robes and armor, but nothing about cloaks.A demonstration seems to be in order.

A robe:http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/8-327.JPGA cloak:http://www.just-cloaks-at.wizardsend.co.uk/images/cloak-sagittarius-blkblu-wi.jpg

The main difference is that only sissies wear the former, but the latter is awesome if worn with enough panache. :smallcool:

bosssmiley
2010-02-23, 12:24 PM

Don't play that stereotype then. :smallwink:

I was just pointing out that it's there for the Warforged player to enjoy. Along with every other robot/golem/intelligent martian cliche (played straight, inverted and/or deconstructed) in the whole of film and literature.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-23, 12:48 PM
My Fave build is a Warforged Crusader/Swordsage/Master of the Nine who weilded all nine swords in any given encounter (he had a Grevious-Complex and had Grevious-esq arms, allowing for 6 of the swords to be wielded in each arm, with the last in his mouth all Rorono Zolo-style) I was nearly unstoppable with all the attacks per round I got :P

hiryuu
2010-02-23, 01:33 PM
I was just pointing out that it's there for the Warforged player to enjoy. Along with every other robot/golem/intelligent martian cliche (played straight, inverted and/or deconstructed) in the whole of film and literature.

My last warforged was the daughter of a childless couple who made a girl out of stone (she looked like a roughly-hewn marble statue), who subsequently saved them from a troll with a magical elixir and tricked a boggart out of forcing them to fulfill a bargain they'd made when they stole the magical ritual they used to create her, does that count?

Ooh, and the one before that was a man who drowned in the sea and had been infested by a series of magically mutated sentient worms and algae wrapped in coral...

Rauthiss
2010-02-23, 01:35 PM
Main reason I can think of to play one is juicy, juicy Soul Eater goodness.

I had quite a long discussion with a friend on whether a living construct qualifies as a "living nonhumanoid". We also came to the discussion of a dragonborn Warforged... Boy was that fun. :smalltongue:

Pika...
2010-02-23, 01:51 PM
[3.5] - Warforged why ever play one?

To be a bard and play Mr. Roboto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc) on my Macbook during games whenever I feel.

absolmorph
2010-02-23, 02:35 PM
A demonstration seems to be in order.

A robe:http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/8-327.JPGA cloak:http://www.just-cloaks-at.wizardsend.co.uk/images/cloak-sagittarius-blkblu-wi.jpg

The main difference is that only sissies wear the former, but the latter is awesome if worn with enough panache. :smallcool:
Hey! I resemble that remark!

On topic, I've been wanting to make a warforged character for a while. Magic sentient robot? Yes, please!

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-23, 02:38 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark!

On topic, I've been wanting to make a warforged character for a while. Magic sentient robot? Yes, please!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Enzio as a Warforged Rogue/Swashbuckler/Assassin?????

absolmorph
2010-02-23, 02:41 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Enzio as a Warforged Rogue/Swashbuckler/Assassin?????
Pretend to be a statue and wait 3 rounds while studying your target for death attack.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-23, 02:43 PM
Pretend to be a statue and wait 3 rounds while studying your target for death attack.

That's just slightly broken....

Greenish
2010-02-23, 02:49 PM
Hey! I resemble that remark!Yeah, I can see, you're like two berries. :smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, look at the picture: even when they got a Willie Nelson clone to pose in it, it still looks lame. Contrast:http://1d4chan.org/images/9/92/Warforged_reforged.jpghttp://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/8-327.JPG

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-23, 02:53 PM
To be a Warlock and fluff yourself as a hyper-advanced robot. With laserbeams.

More seriously unless you really need Charisma or Wisdom Warforged are a good race. Everybody wants Constitution, even if they don't actually need it.

Warforged are actually fairly good Warlocks. Just focus on buffs, shoot lasers and have fun renaming your invocations (maybe ask your DM to give them a Verbal component instead of a Somatic one. Go go gadget helicopter!). A Glaivelock build is probably preferable, though it's not my thing, so I could be wrong.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 02:57 PM
That's just slightly broken....

Only if they are blind. Warforged in Eberron have a very distinct look to them. You could probably get away with passing as a waiter, but Statue? Not likely.

BRC
2010-02-23, 02:59 PM
In a time travel based campaign I had lots of fun as a Warforged Factotum, fluffed as an Android/AI that ran their Timeship. I roleplayed his low charisma as him being intentionally programmed to be an ******* (The last AI was programmed to be super nice and ended up taking over the world by the logic of "People are happier under Good Leaders. Good Leaders are Smart Leaders. I am far, far smarter than anybody else". )
I re fluffed his Arcane Dillente abilities as programs or gadgets (Scorching ray was a laser hidden in his arm, fireball was a grenade, Tenser's Transformation was "Run Program Come_With_Me_if_you_want_to_live.exe")

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-23, 03:07 PM
In a time travel based campaign I had lots of fun as a Warforged Factotum, fluffed as an Android/AI that ran their Timeship. I roleplayed his low charisma as him being intentionally programmed to be an ******* (The last AI was programmed to be super nice and ended up taking over the world by the logic of "People are happier under Good Leaders. Good Leaders are Smart Leaders. I am far, far smarter than anybody else". )
I re fluffed his Arcane Dillente abilities as programs or gadgets (Scorching ray was a laser hidden in his arm, fireball was a grenade, Tenser's Transformation was "Run Program Come_With_Me_if_you_want_to_live.exe")

Now that's clever. I have thoughts on the Warforged as kind of like Termenators if played correctly.

I mean, a Warforged can do almost anything (except maybe bard, but few can anyways)

All of the flexibility of their creators in a better form.

Eldariel
2010-02-23, 03:12 PM
Adamantine Plating is incredible for Tank-types early on. Normal characters won't even dream of Fullplates until level 3, while you not only get one for free, but adamantine DR too (for those keeping score, DR is insanely useful on levels 1-3).

For example, my present Endless Dungeon character (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131558) is a Warforged (future) Ruby Knight Vindicator. His Adamantine Plating has saved him good ~30 points of damage already (and considering his HP total is 15, that's pretty useful). Not only that, but the inherent Light Fortifications saved him one 6/6 Crit on level 1 (double 20) which would've otherwise forced him to use his Contingent Faith Healing. And Construct Essences will later ensure that he has access to full Fortifications for a very, very cheap price.

The racial feats are, simply put, really good. As are the immunities. And they function fine for non-Wis/Cha based casters (and are even passable in there). If I ever have to make a one-man party (such as with Endless Dungeon), I first look at Warforged. Early on, not having to sleep has huge upsides too.

chiasaur11
2010-02-23, 03:45 PM

Part one, right on. I mean, even a former hard core humanaphile like Machine Man can get his act together and start being disgusted by organics.

Part two?

The fact that you're smart makes punching dudes while yelling "WARFORGE'D!" no less fun.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-23, 03:57 PM
I actually kind of like the whole "Former weapons trying to find their place in the world with their new-found freedom"

Eldariel
2010-02-23, 04:02 PM
Oh, and I totally forgot, that natural Slam-attack is exceedingly useful. Being the only Natural Weapon, you get 1.5*Str on it and since it's, strictly speaking, a single weapon you can e.g. wield it with a shield. It can also be combined with a one-handed weapon for rather efficient, feat-free TWF before first iterative.

Overall, Warforged shine on the low levels.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 04:19 PM
Oh, and I totally forgot, that natural Slam-attack is exceedingly useful. Being the only Natural Weapon, you get 1.5*Str on it and since it's, strictly speaking, a single weapon you can e.g. wield it with a shield. It can also be combined with a one-handed weapon for rather efficient, feat-free TWF before first iterative.

Overall, Warforged shine on the low levels.

It's explicitly stated as only getting 1/2 Str if you use another weapon too.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-23, 04:22 PM
The slam also combos wonderfully with reach weapons that don't allow you to strike next to you, enabling you to avoid the hole in the middle problem.

Eldariel
2010-02-23, 04:26 PM
It's explicitly stated as only getting 1/2 Str if you use another weapon too.

Yeah, that's how secondary attacks always work; I don't think there's a way to have a secondary attack at more than ½ Str without class feature specifically saying so.

I mostly brought the TWF option up as a mookslayer-alternative; you don't need feats and only take -5 on the Natural Attack. If you're killing lots of Goblins, may be the off-hand is good enough to kill in a hit too giving you effective extra attack for free.

huttj509
2010-02-23, 04:39 PM
a) Warforged wizard. Now batman can heal himself. And breathe in space. Not necessarily optimal, but not bad.

b) I AM TETSUJIN

Yes, not one, but 2 webcomic references.

Dacia Brabant
2010-02-23, 05:03 PM
Warforged Psion (Shaper) may not quite be up to the same level of synergistic powah as Warforged Artificer, but being able to share Repair Psionic Construct with your psicrystal, which you've already manifested Share Pain and Vigor with, is pretty dang sweet. Plus, Metamorphosis fun (yes, you have to spend a feat, but so what).

Greenish
2010-02-23, 05:04 PM
I actually kind of like the whole "Former weapons trying to find their place in the world with their new-found freedom"Rambo! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Blood)

a) Warforged wizard. Now batman can heal himself. And breathe in space. Not necessarily optimal, but not bad.Everything is better with batman.

b) I AM TETSUJIN
The stinky one. THEY CALL ME THE STINKY ONE? :smallfurious:

Soranar
2010-02-23, 05:15 PM
Warforged also get pretty decent substitution levels for certain classes.

They can make paladins that ignore Charisma and Wisdom (Warforged Paladin lay on hands and saves bonus is based on Con, although it only applies to will saves). Just take the holy warrior variant (from Complete Champion) and you get free feats instead of spellcasting.

You can also smite constructs (and smites don't even need Charisma to be effective), so between evil creatures and constructs you can smite about 3/4 of the enemies you're likely to face.

You can take a bite attack (jaws of death) and a second slam (feat of the same name), making your full-round attacks pretty devastating. Full iterative, 2 slams and 1 bite.

A warforged fighter gets d12 hitpoints and 3 useful feats (battle hardened, a warforged feat and body as weapon).

A warforged Barbarian is immune to fatigue, so rage away.

Composite counts as light armor, but doesn't have a Dex limit so it's not that bad really.

absolmorph
2010-02-23, 05:18 PM
Only if they are blind. Warforged in Eberron have a very distinct look to them. You could probably get away with passing as a waiter, but Statue? Not likely.
Your target walks into the room. You've already been there for hours, staying in the same pose. You've disguised yourself somewhat to appear to be stone rather than metal.
All that requires is ranks in Disguise.
And, besides, is there any part in the rules that says a warforged can't have their appearance modified?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 05:21 PM
Your target walks into the room. You've already been there for hours, staying in the same pose. You've disguised yourself somewhat to appear to be stone rather than metal.
And, besides, is there any part in the rules that says a warforged can't have their appearance modified?

True. Or just be from Xen'Drik.

Greenish
2010-02-23, 05:31 PM
And, besides, is there any part in the rules that says a warforged can't have their appearance modified?That got me thinking. What colour is Adamantite? Why do I think it's greyish dark green?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 05:36 PM
That got me thinking. What colour is Adamantite? Why do I think it's greyish dark green?

Dark grey according to the DMG.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-23, 05:40 PM
That got me thinking. What colour is Adamantite? Why do I think it's greyish dark green?No idea, but I suspect adamantine is dark grey or silver.

absolmorph
2010-02-23, 05:40 PM
And so, the Killer Statue was born...

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-23, 05:42 PM
And so, the Killer Statue was born...I had one of those. He was a changeling MoMF and used his gargoyle form A LOT, using his change self racial ability after he'd wrapped himself in his wings to look like unfinished stone. He used Disguise instead of Hide for stealth.

He rocked.

AslanCross
2010-02-23, 05:43 PM
That got me thinking. What colour is Adamantite? Why do I think it's greyish dark green?

There's an adamantine axe in the Magic Item Compendium that has a jet-black head with silvery veins in it.

Also, for the record, Adamantite and Adamantine are two different metals. Adamantite is the drow stuff that disintegrates in sunlight in older editions, if I'm not mistaken.

Greenish
2010-02-23, 05:49 PM
There's an adamantine axe in the Magic Item Compendium that has a jet-black head with silvery veins in it.That'd make quite cool warforged colour scheme, though you can always just paint them if you don't like their colour. Heck, they could be bright pink (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealMenWearPink), to strike fear into the hearts of their enemies.

Also, for the record, Adamantite and Adamantine are two different metals. Adamantite is the drow stuff that disintegrates in sunlight in older editions, if I'm not mistaken.My bad. :smalleek:

hamishspence
2010-02-23, 05:49 PM
It can probably be best represented in this edition by using Drowcraft (Underdark) Adamantine weapons (or silver, or cold iron- the important part is the dissolving in sunlight.)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 05:51 PM
It can probably be best represented in this edition by using Drowcraft (Underdark) Adamantine weapons (or silver, or cold iron- the important part is the dissolving in sunlight.)

That was seriously one of the biggest **** moves in DMing history. "Oh, here's a bunch of enemies with really cool weapons! Too bad you can never leave the Underdark without them being destroyed!"

Mongoose87
2010-02-23, 05:55 PM
He rocked.

Sounds like he was always stone faced.

arguskos
2010-02-23, 05:56 PM
Also, for the record, Adamantite and Adamantine are two different metals. Adamantite is the drow stuff that disintegrates in sunlight in older editions, if I'm not mistaken.
Indeed. Adamantite is a different alloy of Adamant than Adamantine is. Adamantine is 5/8 adamant, 2/8 silver, and 1/8 electrum. Adamantite's construction is a heavily guarded secret.

Adamant is a jet black metal.
Adamantine is a jet-black metal that is shot through with veins of silvery color.
Adamantite is also jet-black, but is glossy and shines with a sickly green sheen.

Concerning the dickishness of Adamantite dissolving in sunlight, it's just another thing that made the Underdark deeply freaking scary in older editions. Drow weren't always angsty whiny bitches you know, they were scary once.

deuxhero
2010-02-23, 06:09 PM
Warforged + Bloodstorm Blade = ROCKET FISTS

Suck on my missile punch!

Guy-Nightbeast
2010-02-23, 06:12 PM
Warforged Barbarians and monks can be some scary as hell characters.

In this campaign I was running, I had one of both.

The Warfoged Barbarian's AC was a little less then spectacular, at a 17, but with an HP of 160 who really gave a fart?

Then the Warforged Monk/Drunken Master (Yes, I know, how can he get drunk? Simple, he was made by dwarves, he thinks it normal.) had an AC of 22, which is insane.

But it can get better too.

You can have a hollowed out chest with a bag of holding in there with some smaller members of the party in there. Successful grapple and then the chest opens and bam! Surprise attack from hell.

As an alternate, you could have an Iron Maiden Chest. Spikes, and lots of them! Insta-Death!

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 06:15 PM
Suck on my missile punch!

Obligatory link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x--Y9qB8I2E)

Greenish
2010-02-23, 06:19 PM
Warforged Barbarians and monks can be some scary as hell characters.The monk doesn't add up. You get Wis penalty and have to spend a feat to be able to use your class features, no?

Oh wait, there's ACFs for warforged monks, I seem to recall.

Mongoose87
2010-02-23, 06:21 PM
Then the Warforged Monk/Drunken Master (Yes, I know, how can he get drunk? Simple, he was made by dwarves, he thinks it normal.) had an AC of 22, which is insane.

I don't think 22 really qualifies as "insane."

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 06:23 PM
The monk doesn't add up. You get Wis penalty and have to spend a feat to be able to use your class features, no?

Oh wait, there's ACFs for warforged monks, I seem to recall.

Fact: Composite Plating isn't considered Armor for the Monk according to the Sage. One of the few times I'll agree with that.

I don't think 22 really qualifies as "insane."

At level 1? Maybe. At level 4? No.

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-23, 06:44 PM
I mean, a Warforged can do almost anything (except maybe bard, but few can anyways)...There was one Warforged Bard that was pretty awesome, actually... it was in SilverClawShift's Halloween game...

Admiral Squish
2010-02-23, 06:47 PM
I made some warforged features (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74886)once. One was a portable hole in their chest. There was a grapple check, pin, and on the next round, you could force them into the hole and seal them in. Also, you could hide a mage or rogue in there.

There was other stuff like jump jets, plating that could be retracted, heat vision, recording eyes with a playback ability... even rocket-fists! It was fun!

Artemiz
2010-02-23, 06:57 PM
Warforged are really cool, their armor is powerful, and they have a few other cool abilities. From my experience in running two Ebberon-based campaigns in the past couple of years, my players tend to jump at the Warforged. :smallsmile:

Not sure if anyone already mentioned something like this, but when I incorperate Warforged into my game, I make sure to include a spell called Repair. It's basically a Cure spell for the more metal-inclined. :smallwink: Repair potions, scrolls, spells, and wands are availiable in all cities, and generally sell (in my games) for about 10-20% more than the equivalent Cure item/spell, based on the area's Warforged population levels.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 06:58 PM
Warforged are really cool, their armor is powerful, and they have a few other cool abilities. From my experience in running two Ebberon-based campaigns in the past couple of years, my players tend to jump at the Warforged. :smallsmile:

Not sure if anyone already mentioned something like this, but when I incorperate Warforged into my game, I make sure to include a spell called Repair. It's basically a Cure spell for the more metal-inclined. :smallwink: Repair potions, scrolls, spells, and wands are availiable in all cities, and generally sell (in my games) for about 10-20% more than the equivalent Cure item/spell, based on the area's Warforged population levels.

That's in the ECS...

Artemiz
2010-02-23, 07:09 PM
That's in the ECS...

I understand that it's included in the campaign setting, but we simplify it down to what I wrote above. :smallsmile:

Plus, I didn't want to assume that the OP has the setting handy.

Randel
2010-02-23, 09:01 PM
I mean, a Warforged can do almost anything (except maybe bard, but few can anyways)

Warforged never tire. Get a Lyre of Building and enough ranks in perform to always make the DCs and you can get the equivalent of 100 humans working 48 days straight done in the eight hours that those weak meatbags around you need to sleep every night. And you can keep playing forever.

So yeah, you stop in the middle of a forest to rest and when your human friends are sitting in their tents shivering and trying to rest their weak organic muscles then you sing them a lullaby and when they wake up there's a whole freshly made village, farm, industrial complex, mine shaft, aqueduct, temple to your favorite deity, or heavily fortified zombie-proof fortress surrounding them.

Sam the Human Cleric: Did you just build a four-lane highway around the Mountain of No Return while we slept?

Mr. Fab the Warforged Bard: Negative, I build a four-lane highway through the Mountain of No Return. The reinforced tunnel support arches are designed to withstand over 10,000,000 metric tonnes of rock (far beyond the mere 7,533,927 metric tonnes that compose the mountain). I also included a few tactical inlets in case any monsters moved into it in the last thirty minutes, some drainage troughs in the event of flooding, and an automated toll-booth to collect payment from travelers (and they said my ranks in trap making were wasted). I'll just be registering this new highway with the Department of Transportation after we deal with the Bad Guy.

Sam: ... well at least our return trip will be speedy.

tonberrian
2010-02-23, 09:17 PM
I wanna take a Warforged monk (unarmed swordage), give him a mustache and a cool theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf8iQrWXlDM), and go to town.

Dacia Brabant
2010-02-23, 09:41 PM
I don't know if it's online anymore but I remember seeing a build for a Warforged Bard/Warforged Juggernaut that abuses Words of Creation, nonlethal damage immunity, and all the Inspire Courage boosts it could find. I think it ended up in the +20 range, which it could crank out basically all day.

There's got to be a Robo the Incredible Singing Robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANepZTX_RcE) reference to be made in there somewhere. :smallamused:

AslanCross
2010-02-23, 11:03 PM
Obligatory link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x--Y9qB8I2E)

Another obligatory link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJPpxakY2Y)

The warforged NPC in my campaign was full of references to GaoGaiGar. When he got upgraded to PC-hood, I was able to fit in even more references.

Smythen
2010-02-24, 09:25 AM
There is even a shot of a Warforged wearing a cloak, in Magic of Eberron.

That picture is actually of the warforgeed prestige class that makes them humanoid. So that could be why it have a cloak.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 12:20 PM
That picture is actually of the warforgeed prestige class that makes them humanoid. So that could be why it have a cloak.Or it could be that it's robes that are restricted, and not cloaks.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-24, 12:56 PM
Hmm... Could a warforged Lantan Artificer (the PrC from MoF) build his devices in as components I wonder? That would be damn cool.

jagadaishio
2010-02-24, 02:03 PM
Fact: Composite Plating isn't considered Armor for the Monk according to the Sage. One of the few times I'll agree with that.

It's true. In the composite plating description, they go out of their way to call it LIKE light armor, avoiding every calling it light armor - or armor at all, really. In the various armored body feats, though, they explicitly say that they are treated as x-level of armor.

Optimystik
2010-02-24, 03:50 PM
That picture is actually of the warforgeed prestige class that makes them humanoid. So that could be why it have a cloak.

No, Reforged are in RoE. I said MoE - the Psiforged is wearing one too.

And to quote the book:

In truth, psiforged are simply warforged who have taken the Psiforged Body feat at 1st level.

Thus, they are not a separate race, subrace, PrC or whatever.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-24, 04:40 PM
No, Reforged are in RoE. I said MoE - the Psiforged is wearing one too.

And to quote the book:

Thus, they are not a separate race, subrace, PrC or whatever.

Funny thing about that book, though...The example psiforged psychic warriors given there, have the mithril body feat.

Optimystik
2010-02-24, 04:42 PM
Funny thing about that book, though...The example psiforged psychic warriors given there, have the mithril body feat.

Even so, Warforged can wear cloaks.

Next!

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 04:42 PM

As if that makes a difference? It retains the restrictions of the Composite Body.

NEO|Phyte
2010-02-24, 04:43 PM

If psiforged body counts as a psionic feat, doable with the psywar's bonus feat.

Kallisti
2010-02-24, 04:48 PM
Warforged are pretty decent, power-wise. They make great melee fighters.

I just love the flavor, though. It's pretty convenient having a non-LA set of race rules for them. Just a little reflavoring and you can get all kinds of cool character concepts off the ground without any LA, whereas most playable constructs come with tons of obnoxious RHD.

LibraryOgre
2010-02-24, 05:00 PM
Ok, so maybe I'm bringing my simulationism into it but... why can't warforged wear armor?

I'm not talking about off-the-shelf armor, of course, but it seems to me that a half-decent armorsmith, with sufficient financial inducement, could work up some chainmail, at the very least... and since warforged don't get tired, you can more or less make it a chainmail poncho and they're not going to complain "Oh, you've put all the weight on my shoulders!" like pansy little meatbags. Other armors could, of course, be built to suit a warforged frame, and the fact that they won't get "pinched" will forgive a lot of errors in design.

Kulture
2010-02-24, 05:05 PM
Other Obligatory link to missile punch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTsjb46ECA

Ex-weapon?
Programmed to protect your country?
I think we're ready for a new Liberty Prime/Metal wolf Chaos large-ham character.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my character creation lab.

arguskos
2010-02-24, 05:06 PM
Ok, so maybe I'm bringing my simulationism into it but... why can't warforged wear armor?

I'm not talking about off-the-shelf armor, of course, but it seems to me that a half-decent armorsmith, with sufficient financial inducement, could work up some chainmail, at the very least... and since warforged don't get tired, you can more or less make it a chainmail poncho and they're not going to complain "Oh, you've put all the weight on my shoulders!" like pansy little meatbags. Other armors could, of course, be built to suit a warforged frame, and the fact that they won't get "pinched" will forgive a lot of errors in design.
Simulation-wise, yeah, I completely agree. I do think that a Warforged wearing armor leads to other players asking to double and triple up on armor, and that leads to silliness rapidly. There are mechanical and logical reasons to not permit stuff like that, simply because players will abuse it.

AslanCross
2010-02-24, 05:14 PM

P. 40: The Psiforged is wearing a cloak.
P. 141: The same psiforged (at least that's what I assume, from its appearance) is partnered with a daelkyr halfblood. They're fighting a dolghast.

Finally, the Reforged PrC is in Races of Eberron, not Magic of Eberron, and to the point--one of the artworks for the Reforged (the golden warforged with an apple and hat) still clearly has Composite Plating and yet is wearing a cloak.

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 05:16 PM
I wanna take a Warforged monk (unarmed swordage), give him a mustache and a cool theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf8iQrWXlDM), and go to town.

Sir, you win an Internet sandwiched between two tasty cookies.

You'll get more if you scream from the top of the lungs "Code: Kirin!! Activate!!"

And when you hit, you go with a massive "DEEEEEEYAAAAAHH!!!"

Also, don't forget: Throwing, Returning Battlefist; perhaps Ki Blast; enhanced elbow blades which you don't use until you get to your final attack.

While at that, I top that with Psiforged Monk/Psychic Warrior with Tashalatora. Fancy 'do. And that can summon dragon. With an equally cool theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-W3CAfJmw).

AslanCross
2010-02-24, 05:31 PM
Sir, you win an Internet sandwiched between two tasty cookies.

You'll get more if you scream from the top of the lungs "Code: Kirin!! Activate!!"

And when you hit, you go with a massive "DEEEEEEYAAAAAHH!!!"

Also, don't forget: Throwing, Returning Battlefist; perhaps Ki Blast; enhanced elbow blades which you don't use until you get to your final attack.

While at that, I top that with Psiforged Monk/Psychic Warrior with Tashalatora. Fancy 'do. And that can summon dragon. With an equally cool theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-W3CAfJmw).

Swordsage can do ki blasts fine on its own (Hatchling's Breath, Fan the Flames, etc.)
Of course, he's going to need a rival who's high enough in levels to get Time Stands Still. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9bGGp6fE44) That's the only way I think a warforged can do Kirin: Kiwame. :P

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 05:37 PM
Swordsage can do ki blasts fine on its own (Hatchling's Breath, Fan the Flames, etc.)
Of course, he's going to need a rival who's high enough in levels to get Time Stands Still. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9bGGp6fE44) That's the only way I think a warforged can do Kirin: Kiwame. :P

Except that they would be fire-elemental, not non-elemental. Or...whatever element ki is meant to represent (I think an alignment).

As for the Zwei...definitely an aberrant mix of Warblade, Swordsage and Master of Nine. It's a shame you can't qualify your Warforged to become an Eternal Blade, otherwise you could do Island in Time and pull off Kirin: Ne Plus Ultra.

Darn, now we need a Warforged Monk (or Ninja)/Swordsage/Shadow Sun Ninja for Ninja-Robo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I87lP48mng)...

Yay, female personality Warforged!!!

tonberrian
2010-02-24, 05:47 PM
I thought I needed a rival with a hot elven girlfriend so that the rival initiates Time Stands Still while the girlfriend interrupts with Island in Time for another Time Stands Still (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYr76gek9RU).

Edit for On-topicness: Daizengar - obviously a Warblade, perhaps some Bloodstorm Blade. With non-sucky Monkey Grip.

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 06:08 PM
I thought I needed a rival with a hot elven girlfriend so that the rival initiates Time Stands Still while the girlfriend interrupts with Island in Time for another Time Stands Still (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYr76gek9RU).

Wha? That's not TSS + Island in Time (TSS), that's Delay + Flanking! You let your Scout/Ranger Swift Hunter Warforged girlfriend delay her action so that she attacks at the same time as you.

Same with all Combo attacks.

And yes, it's a Warforged girlfriend. Otherwise, it may be a human who's doing all this, and this is a Warforged thread for all means.

So yeah...as usual, SRW proves why it is awesome to play Warforged. I mean, we've thrown several outrageous builds that could do well with various classes just to use some archetypes!!!

What's wrong about that! Like...what's wrong that a Warforged Warblade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1uCdfK1tE&feature=PlayList&p=79911C31DEF074A1&index=0&playnext=1) mounting a Warforged Scout/Wildshape Ranger transformed into a horse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFmDje7L70) and doing a Pouncing Charge attack with Raging Mongoose for the kicks?

Expanding the Ninja-ing. Add a Fullblade while at it.

Darth Stabber
2010-02-24, 07:02 PM
Warforged necromancer - performs jury-rigged repairs on non-functional meatbags

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 07:20 PM
I have a warforged psion//swordsage/something-else-when-I-think-of-what-I-want that was once an anthropomorphic fox that transferred his mind and soul into a robotic body. There's still some organic circuitry (couldn't transfer his mortal essence without some biological counterpart in the new body), but he seems to have transferred his personal empathy into a small crystalline stone that has taken up its job as his conscientious advisor (he's LE, it's CG).

Tome
2010-02-24, 07:54 PM
A player in one of my games is playing a Warforged Wildshape Ranger/Master Of Many Forms. Why? Because she's a big ol' Transformers fangirl, that's why.

My character? Psiforged Monk/Ardent Tashalatora.

It's an all Warforged campaign.

Corbeau
2010-08-29, 12:50 PM
How would the different armor feats work with Wildshape Ranger and a Wilding Clasp (MIC)?

For instance, could one take Adamantine Body, which would not normally work for Ranger combat style because its not light armor, and have all of your Wildshapes be clad in robotic looking fullplate?

Obviously the Composite plating and Ironwood Body feat should be a-okay, but I was just wondering what you all thought?

Vaynor
2010-08-29, 01:12 PM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.