PDA

View Full Version : Tinker Gnome

The Random NPC
2010-02-23, 11:28 AM
My friends and I are starting a 3.5 Gestalt campaign at level 3, and one of the players wants to play some kind of tinkering gnome. He has decided on Artificer for one side, but is looking for another base class for the other side. We know there is a tinker gnome class/race but we can't seem to find it in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Does anyone know where it is, or a better race/class combo that more exemplifies the tinker gnome idea?

Toliudar
2010-02-23, 11:35 AM
Is this what you're looking for? (http://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/11484.aspx) It looks like it might synergize with Artificer quite well.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 11:36 AM
So he wants a Gnome Artificer//Something? Here's a list of classes that go well with Artificer:

Wizard
Erudite
Archivist
Incarnate (for even more Complexity)
Warblade
Rogue
Factotum

Tyndmyr
2010-02-23, 11:40 AM
What sinfire said.

I particularily enjoy archivist and factotum for the fluff as going extremely well with a tinker gnome artificer.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-23, 12:28 PM
My two cents:

Race: Favorite Gnome Subtype (mine's the lesser deep gnome)
Class: Artificer x/Effigy Master y//Shaper x/Ectopic Adept

The Random NPC
2010-02-23, 12:45 PM
@Toulidar: We have been looking at that, but we were trying to find it in a book if possible.
@Sinfire Titan: We were looking for something to help him build stuff, preferably mundane. If we can't find anything to do that, that is a good list of complementary classes.
@LichPrinceAlim:I have been pointing him at Effigy Master, but he wants the stuff he builds to be able to be used by others. If I remember Shaper/Ectopic Adept correctly, he wouldn't like it.

Greenish
2010-02-23, 12:50 PM
We were looking for something to help him build stuff, preferably mundane. If we can't find anything to do that, that is a good list of complementary classes.
There isn't many classes that focus on building mundane stuff, since you can mostly do it anyway on many classes. Factotum Cunning Knowledge helps with craft checks though.

The Random NPC
2010-02-23, 12:56 PM
I could have sworn there was some kind of tinker gnome class, but if there isn't I'll point him to another synergistic class.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-23, 02:01 PM
There isn't many classes that focus on building mundane stuff, since you can mostly do it anyway on many classes. Factotum Cunning Knowledge helps with craft checks though.

Trapsmith, perhaps? I don't know how good of a choice it is with artificer, but it's probably as close as it gets.

SBG has some fun stuff for building stuff. No classes, but feats are there.

Quirp
2010-02-23, 02:01 PM
In Magic of Faerun 3.0 there is a Tinker gnome PRC, but I donīt know if the stuff it builds can be used by others. I also think in the WoW rules for D&D there is a Tinker class but that might be too far fetched to use (heavy system changes as far as I remember). The Faerun thing is very tinkerish but is not that strong (although it duplicates spells (Ex) only some (Su))

The Random NPC
2010-02-23, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info all, I'll look into that tinker gnome PRC.

Darrin
2010-02-23, 05:34 PM
There's two obscure gnome subraces in Dragon #291.

River gnomes: 20' swim speed, +1 init, no SLAs

Arcane gnomes: -2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis (yes, that's another LA 0 +2 Int race), UMD is always a class skill (!!!), no speak with animals, favored class wizard.

Here we go, Dragon #320, Silicon Sorcery: Warcraft III Racial Transformations.

Techno gnomes: Lose bonus save vs. illusions, lose +1 illusion DC, lose all SLAs. Gain: Alertness, +2 racial bonus to Craft, Disable Device, and Open Locks. Favored Class: Rogue.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-24, 01:40 AM
Faerun has the lantan Artificer PrC. The closest official class to true, non magical tinkering.

As for a base class, see if you can use one from Iron Kingdoms or Dragonmech. Alternativly, a Cleric of Gond, going into Techsmith can have the propper feel.

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-24, 10:57 PM
We know there is a tinker gnome class/race but we can't seem to find it in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.
Tinker gnomes are simply the gnomes native to Krynn, and are detailed on page 25 of the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book. They are also, if I recall correctly, the most common gnome subrace in the Spelljammer setting, and responsible for such wonders as the giant space hamster. To paraphrase Scott Adams, where most people would say that if something isn't broke, don't fix it, a tinker gnome would say that if something isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features.

They're natural inventors, with +2 Int, +2 Dex, -2 Str, and -2 Wis, and (potentially) +2 to all Craft checks. Give one the Craft bonus, high Int, and masterwork artisan tools, and he only needs a few skill points in a Craft skill (or another bonus from any of several sources, e.g. the granted power of the Artifice domain) in order to be able to craft masterwork items by taking 10.

In Magic of Faerun 3.0 there is a Tinker gnome PRC

Faerun has the lantan Artificer PrC. The closest official class to true, non magical tinkering.
These are the same thing: the Gnome Artificer Prestige Class. Good as a second class for an Artificer who seeks to master the production of both magical and mechanical devices, sorta like how a Mystic Theurge seeks to master both arcane and divine magic.

NiteCyper
2010-02-24, 11:19 PM
There is a Tinker Gnome (http://yfrog.com/15dlcs25gnomepx) race (DLCS > page 25 onwards > Races > Tinker (& Mad)) and a Tinker class, to be cited.

[-0800 24/02/2010 Wed 21:01:15]
Found it. Races of Ansalon > Chapter Four > page 106 > Gnomish Tinker PrC.

Ernir
2010-02-25, 04:31 AM
Arcane gnomes: -2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis (yes, that's another LA 0 +2 Int race), UMD is always a class skill (!!!), no speak with animals, favored class wizard.

My new favourite race.