PDA

View Full Version : Fluff stuff - Impressive Swordplay, name of a Vecna cult

SadisticFishing
2010-02-23, 01:42 PM
Hi, I am currently DMing a game, and I need two things for next session. Normally I wouldn't go to a forum for this sort of thing, but it's an impromptu middle of the week session, and both of these were hoisted on me.. this morning.

Okay, so the first: I need some very impressive swordplay. Just a way to describe something only the best swordsmen could do. The background: The King and his brother are in a slight tussle. The King refuses to hurt him, and vice versa, but he wants to show that he isn't helpless, which he is being accused of. So I need something impressive, harmless, and not too... over the top. The King is low on charisma. Also, if it matters, his brother is a Tiefling wizard (the King is human).

The other: I need a name for a Cult of Vecna that one of my players accidentally joined 10 levels ago, and the true purpose of the "Book Club" is only now coming to light. But it needs a cool name, and "The Book Club", while cool, isn't quite right. Though it may be what I stick with, as it sounds nothing like a Cult of Vecna. "The Cult of Whispered Secrets" just sounds obvious. "The Football Team" might be more what they'd call it, but I'm not sure. Could be a secret name. *shrug*

Thanks a lot,
SadFish

squishycube
2010-02-23, 01:46 PM
"Read between the lines" for the book club ^^
How did the king become king with low charisma? And they could have a fencing match.

Neon Knight
2010-02-23, 01:47 PM
The classic tiny scratch on the cheek might do the trick for your swordplay thing.

For the name.... "Nothing", perhaps?

Also, we should probably get any "you don't talk about fight club" jokes out of the way.

Sanguine
2010-02-23, 01:48 PM
"Read between the lines" for the book club ^^
How did the king become king with low charisma? And they could have a fencing match.

His father was king? Sure with a low Charisma he's probably not loved by the populace but he still has the right to rule his monarchy. At least until the rebellion.

hamishspence
2010-02-23, 01:52 PM
Is the king's brother a full brother, or half-brother? If a full brother, how come the king is human, but the brother isn't? Throwback to fiendish ancestor?

arguskos
2010-02-23, 02:01 PM
Is the king's brother a full brother, or half-brother? If a full brother, how come the king is human, but the brother isn't? Throwback to fiendish ancestor?
Possibly adopted. Technically a full brother, but not by blood.

Greenish
2010-02-23, 02:03 PM
How did the king become king with low charisma?:smallconfused:

You're the King? Well, I didn't vote for you!

Beorn080
2010-02-23, 02:04 PM
Read the John Carter, Warlord of Mars books. If its mostly for show, then there are some great descriptions in those books. Several good descriptions in there, including several that he drew out to buy time, and to make a fool of the opponent.

hamishspence
2010-02-23, 02:04 PM
Stepbrother is "brother by parents marrying".

That said, the tiefling could be "brother by adoption" as mentioned.

Neon Knight
2010-02-23, 02:07 PM
Read the John Carter, Warlord of Mars books. If its mostly for show, then there are some great descriptions in those books. Several good descriptions in there, including several that he drew out to buy time, and to make a fool of the opponent.

I think the urgency implied in the OP's post doesn't allow for reading some books.

Melamoto
2010-02-23, 02:13 PM
How did the king become king with low charisma?
I didn't vote for him!

Beorn080
http://www.johncarterofmars.ca/books.html

There are the first 6 or so books online. Looking for a good one now.

Greenish
Read the John Carter, Warlord of Mars books.H (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/62)e (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/64)r (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/68)e (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/72). :smallcool: ( http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1153)

[Edit]: Damn, ninja'ed.

SadisticFishing
2010-02-23, 02:37 PM
Can't harm him at all - and this isn't in a swordfight. He just has to make a point - "Look at me, I'm badass", without being over the top. It's surprisingly difficult.

Yes, King by birth. Intelligent and wise, just wasn't born with much force of personality, so he surrounded himself with people that were. He's loved by the people. :P

Tiefling is a half brother, who was claimed by the King's dad, back when. It's a point of contention, obviously :P

arguskos
2010-02-23, 02:41 PM
So... the king can do anything cool with a sword, just to show he's hardcore? Sweet. Have him be fired upon by the best ten archers in the Army, and deflect or destroy every arrow fired at him, with just a blade. Do this publicly to show his skill to his detractors and foes.

SadisticFishing
2010-02-23, 02:43 PM
He already wins every fencing tournament >_>

Damn, I'm not explaining myself properly. Okay, you have two people, a Wizard and a Fighter. The fighter is epic, and kicks ass with a rapier. He has to make a point to the wizard that he isn't a wuss, and is avoiding a fight because it is the right thing to do, not because he thinks he'll lose. What sort of epic stunt can he pull off, one on one, that will make his point?

hamishspence
2010-02-23, 02:46 PM
Something a bit like Zorro's trick, but less hard on the clothing?

(Zorro's trick being slashing an initial into the victim' outfit without harming the victim.)

Pulling off the trick of getting loved by the people without being charismatic might be difficult, but as described, it seems feasible.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-23, 02:51 PM
He already wins every fencing tournament >_>

Damn, I'm not explaining myself properly. Okay, you have two people, a Wizard and a Fighter. The fighter is epic, and kicks ass with a rapier. He has to make a point to the wizard that he isn't a wuss, and is avoiding a fight because it is the right thing to do, not because he thinks he'll lose. What sort of epic stunt can he pull off, one on one, that will make his point?

Draw the sword, toss it aside, and pick up the sheath in proper sword form. Disrupt every spell cast with the non-lethal attack, trip the wizard up, and keep him completely disoriented. Don't use flashy moves...use sudden, impossible to see attacks where he goes from complete standstill to motion before the movement is really registered by the eye.

He can't be flashy...flashy duelists are usually bad duelists. So he has to impress with economy of actions, and by not giving his opponent time to even think.

SadisticFishing
2010-02-23, 02:52 PM
Trying to avoid a fight with an equally powerful individual, hrm.

Thanks a lot for the thoughts. Zorro's trick is probably the right one :P

Beorn080
2010-02-23, 02:55 PM
If he can't hurt the wizard at all? Have the wizard summon up a few dozen creatures for him to kill. Blindfolded.

The New Bruceski
2010-02-23, 03:01 PM
Vecna cults seem to me like they go well with opposites. The cult of the blind seer, deaf eavesdropper, crippled thief, etc.

alisbin
2010-02-23, 03:05 PM
+1 on the non flashy non lethal beatdown idea

as far as the cult goes;
assuming the non "book club" name is in fact a secret name, then you could go something like the "Tools of Vecna" and give titles like "Vecna's Quill" (chief archivist?) or "Monocle of Vecna" (leader? spymaster?) as a mixture of humor and description.
if its NOT secret... i dunno, its VECNA, he's got the eye/hand/staff thing so there are a few subtle references you could potentially make. but i'd go with some random book club name and a cool secret name.

Spiryt
2010-02-23, 03:10 PM
Is binding his both hands together with rapier considered harmless? :smalltongue:

Well, seriously it's not really deadly, and with "standard D&D" magic it isn't really permanent damage either.

And that wouldn't be too flashy, just showing that he can do whatever he wants with enemy with proper, blitz attack.

Shyftir
2010-02-23, 03:16 PM
He can do a very simple non-ordinary bit of swordplay like incorporate a kick to the junk at an opportune time disrupting his opponent but not doing permanent damage. Follow this up with a "sword point at your throat" moment and BAM, King is totally BA.