PDA

View Full Version : Feint with Ranged Attack?

Drolyt
2010-02-23, 04:10 PM
Is there any way, feat, PRC, anything, that allows you to make a ranged attack with a feint instead of a melee attack? I'm working on a build that uses Greater Manyshot from EPH (or SRD) to fire multiple arrows as a standard action.
Edit: I forgot to mention but the goal is to get Sneak Attack on each of those arrows, if that wasn't clear.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 04:17 PM
Nope. But you can use a Wand of Grease or Summon Monster to deny them their Dex modifier (have the summoned creature Grapple them).

Drolyt
2010-02-23, 04:26 PM
Nope. But you can use a Wand of Grease or Summon Monster to deny them their Dex modifier (have the summoned creature Grapple them).

Too much work. I thought the answer might be no, I looked in quite a few places before asking. What is the standard for 3.5 archer optimization?

Darkfire
2010-02-23, 05:09 PM
According to the Crystal Keep indices, there's one called Bow Feint from Dragon #350 which might be exactly what you're looking for...

Drolyt
2010-02-23, 05:18 PM
According to the Crystal Keep indices, there's one called Bow Feint from Dragon #350 which might be exactly what you're looking for...

Yes that's perfect! Thank you! Now, here's the important question. Does Greater Manyshot count as more than one attack? If it doesn't I can add sneak attack damage to each arrow, if it does do I have to choose which arrow adds the damage ahead of time?

Edit: If I can't get sneak attack with all the shots then I'll just forget about manyshot and try to get my single arrow to deal as much damage as possible.

Eldariel
2010-02-23, 05:21 PM
You get SA on all shots. Greater Manyshot is explicit on this.

Darrin
2010-02-23, 05:22 PM
Is there any way, feat, PRC, anything, that allows you to make a ranged attack with a feint instead of a melee attack?

Sounds like a job for Bloodstorm Blade... although if you're going that route, Manyshot would be a pretty lousy feat choice.

Distracting Attack (Ranger ACF, PHBII) kinda works... the first hit causes the target to be flanked until your next hit, but you'd only get SA on the second hit... but is the second hit also a Distracting Attack? Not sure about that.

You could try UMD'ing a wand of Distract Assailant (Spell Compendium) but it depends on a will save.

White Raven Defense + Clarion Commander lets you use Perpetual Flank as a standard action, Intimidate check DC 20 to make an enemy count as flanked for 1 minute. It takes a round to get going, but there's nothing your enemy can do to stop it.

Take a monkey/ape as an animal companion and train them to spread marbles under an opponent or square that you designate as a trick. Or teach your bear/crocodile/footpad lizard the Hold or Pin trick, grapple = no dex bonus.

Ring of Blinking + Pierce Magical Concealment should work, although the ring is a bit expensive.

There are a variety of blinding effects. Sword of the Arcane Order and/or UMD + Glitterdust. UMD + Blinding Spittle. Dust Eggshell Grenades. Powder of the Black Veil.

Drolyt
2010-02-23, 05:23 PM
You get SA on all shots. Greater Manyshot is explicit on this.

Right, normally that would be the case, but the feint action says "the next melee attack you make against the target does not allow him to use his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any)". So for example with a full attack you would only get the first attack as sneak attack damage. However with Manyshot all your attacks happen at once, so I'm not sure how it would work.

lsfreak
2010-02-23, 05:59 PM
Manyshot is explicit that since it's only one roll, you get sneak attack on only one arrow (likewise, crit with one arrow if you confirm a threat). And it would only work on the first shot of Greater Manyshot, as you pointed out.

Feinting is never a good way of getting sneak attack, except maybe for an invisible blade that's had the PBS and the like corrected. Go for greater invisibility or the like, something that's reliable. Alternatively, there's a few way to get your bows to threaten, and so that allows you to flank and therefore get sneak attack with ranged weapons.

Drolyt
2010-02-23, 06:01 PM
Manyshot is explicit that since it's only one roll, you get sneak attack on only one arrow (likewise, crit with one arrow if you confirm a threat). And it would only work on the first shot of Greater Manyshot, as you pointed out.

Feinting is never a good way of getting sneak attack, except maybe for an invisible blade that's had the PBS and the like corrected. Go for greater invisibility or the like, something that's reliable. Alternatively, there's a few way to get your bows to threaten, and so that allows you to flank and therefore get sneak attack with ranged weapons.

The problem with feinting is that it only works on one attack per round. If not for that stupid restriction it would be the best way, since with some relatively cheap magic items and a decent Charisma I can shoot my Bluff through the roof. Sigh. I could mix it with that Order of the Bow Initiate. It's not optimized, but it wouldn't suck that bad.

tribble
2010-02-23, 06:04 PM
It's not optimized, but it wouldn't suck that bad.

so If this isn't optimised, why are you doing this? I don't see the roleplaying potential with... bow feints, and you just said it's poor munchkinry, so why are you doing this? I'm curious.

Drolyt
2010-02-23, 06:12 PM
so If this isn't optimised, why are you doing this? I don't see the roleplaying potential with... bow feints, and you just said it's poor munchkinry, so why are you doing this? I'm curious.

While it was originally intended to be optimized, but I can't think of a way to make the stupid plan work. If only Greater Manyshot was like manyshot and still counted as one attack but allowed me to apply sneak attack damage with each arrow the build would be pretty sweet. Let's see, with some multiclassing I'm sure I can get at least +12d6 Sneak Attack just from class levels, then I think there's a weapon enchantment for another +2d6, a stance for another +2d6 (though that's a couple feats), I think there are other ways to increase sneak attack damage, but with Manyshot and at least +16 BAB by level 20 I would have four attacks all dealing at least +16d6 damage. That's lots of damage. I suppose it's still not quite optimal for a sneak attack rogue, but archer builds aren't strong to begin with.