PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Black Sorcerer backstory issue[3.5 FR]

Godskook
2010-02-23, 04:37 PM
Other PCs: Read only if you want my backstory spoiled.

Ok, Jonathan Hooker is now playing in his second pbp game, and I made the interesting decision to keep his original pbp story canon to his character. I'm enjoying this in as much as it gives him more depth than I usually start a game with.

Problem is, the first pbp was a little sillier, and my adventuring partners where Death's apprentice(Synithax) and a necromancer(Grigori) who had a skeleton(?) instead of a familiar. Setting was Greyhawk, I guess(not that it really mattered in that game), and the game died far quicker than I would've liked.

Now rolls along a new game, in which I have gained 4 backstory levels, done a few personal things, and now find myself adventuring with both a cleric and monk of Lathandar in Faerun. If you're familiar with Lathandar, I suppose you can see my problem.

What's happened in the 4 levels of background:
-Synithax died while helping me avenge my father.
-Grigori's fate is still unknown, except we aren't adventuring together.
-Jonathan still *likes* both of these characters.

Now, what I need to know:
-Jonathan's god. I was using Heironeous for greyhawk, but I'm having trouble finding a FR replacement. One that's compatible with a Daggerspell Mage, preferably.
-A way to get a 'pass' for Grigori as concerns the Lathander's followers. I've got 4 levels worth of backstory, so it was bound to come up eventually.

arguskos
2010-02-23, 04:49 PM
I'd say your God could be Torm. He's the god of Duty and Paladins, and is basically the Heironeous equivalent. However, I don't know anything ABOUT this character, so I can't give a better suggestion for your deity.

As for the background, just say that Grigor passed himself off as a follower of Kelemvor and that his skeleton got destroyed at some point and he never bothered getting a new one. Followers of Kelemvor are permitted to use necromantic spells, but only to command/destroy undead. If the Lathanderites never seem him cast something evil, they won't be able to do anything about it. Just... yeah, that's tricky.

Godskook
2010-02-23, 04:58 PM
I'd say your God could be Torm. He's the god of Duty and Paladins, and is basically the Heironeous equivalent. However, I don't know anything ABOUT this character, so I can't give a better suggestion for your deity.

Character sheet:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=152247

Jon is CG, and has helped kill a corrupt mayor in semi-cold blood(cause it was the right thing to do, of course!).

As for the background, just say that Grigor passed himself off as a follower of Kelemvor and that his skeleton got destroyed at some point and he never bothered getting a new one. Followers of Kelemvor are permitted to use necromantic spells, but only to command/destroy undead. If the Lathanderites never seem him cast something evil, they won't be able to do anything about it. Just... yeah, that's tricky.

Grigori isn't in the campaign, and probably never will be. I just want to be able to talk about the guy IC without it destroying my PC's credibility among the party.

Firebeard
2010-02-26, 03:40 PM
Kelemvor might actually be a bad idea, since you openly admitted that Grigor had a skeleton companion. I'd place even bets that the Lathander crew would go on about how Kelemvor was against the disturbance of the rest of the dead and it would likely paint you even further in darkness in their minds.

Jergal on the other hand is at least Lawful Neutral and his worshipers occasionally held sway over certain undead servants. Usually for a "great cause", which the Lathanders should respect, even if they did not approve.

Of course, my knowledge of the FR pantheon is pretty shaky, so you might discuss it with Nox. He has a really strong bit of FR knowledge. Most of his past campaigns have been in that setting, I believe. That's what he told me when he posted interest anyways.

Godskook
2010-02-26, 04:01 PM
Yeah, but Nox in particular is the one this 'reveal' is relevant towards. Asking him for help would defeat the purpose.

Jergal might work. The Lathander crew are both lawful, so they'd be more accepting of things sanctioned by a LN god than other Lathander-ites might be. Actually, that works, and fits with the dynamics between Grigori and Synithax. Assuming Syn worked for Kelemvor and Grigori was a patron of Jergal, that actually meshes *incredibly* well with the story as it happened in the first pbp arc. Nice.