PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new here... Anyone else from the New York City area?

slyfox99
2010-02-23, 05:49 PM
Hi. I'm new to the site, and quite happy to have found it. I'm an older geezer and have just turned my girlfriend and my two kids onto RPGs. Having been away from the hobby for some time, it has become my refuge from a wearysome world, if I may wax so poetic...

I haven't played D & D in years, having discovered Vampire and the other White Wolf games in the meantime, but I was not so sure that White Wolf is all that "appropriate" (God but I do hate that word, but sometimes it works) for a 12 year old girl and an 8 year old boy. I bought the "Intro to D & D" box set last year, and was quite pleasantly surprised to see the 4th edition rules, finding them quite smooth and playable. (My local public library lends out 3.5 rulebooks and supplements and I borrow them for the inspiration, but I find them barely readable. I cannot imagine playing that game). At any rate, I have been hooked in big-time, and have since purchased Player's Handbooks 1 & 2 (with 3 on pre-order from Amazon), the DMG and both Monster Manuals, as well as both Forgotten Realms books and Open Grave. I can't wait for the Dark Sun setting to arrive, either...

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and if anyone is interested in playing a real life game, do let me know. I live in lower Westchester County in New York, just north of the city. I'd love to meet you all.

Arti3
2010-02-23, 06:05 PM
Well, as long as you don't like the Yankees.... welcome. xD

SurlySeraph
2010-02-23, 06:19 PM
Introduction is generally done on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117748).

And I'm from New York City, on the upper west side. Though I'm currently living in Boston.

slyfox99
2010-02-23, 06:23 PM
Not a Yankee fan at all, thank you very much... To the extant I like baseball, I like the Mets (in fact, my second favorite team is whoever is playing the Yankees)...

Phase
2010-02-23, 06:29 PM
Not a Yankee fan at all, thank you very much... To the extant I like baseball, I like the Mets (in fact, my second favorite team is whoever is playing the Yankees)...

You may feel a current of pure, unbridled rage flowing over you shortly.

That is my soul attempting to punch you through the internet before considering leaving the city to do it in person.

Arti3
2010-02-23, 06:34 PM
Red SOX!
That is all.

Darth Mario
2010-02-23, 06:34 PM
You may feel a current of pure, unbridled rage flowing over you shortly.

That is my soul attempting to punch you through the internet before considering leaving the city to do it in person.

I'll take that rage, thank you very much. As a born-and-raised Bostonian now living in NYC, I can say this with pride, conviction, and the knowledge that I will be punched by anyone living in the city who knows me in real life.

Yankees suck.

Crimmy
2010-02-23, 06:51 PM
I feel this thread closing.
At lest, because it's about "Playgrounders from X part of the World", just like "Australasia itP", etc.

Orzel
2010-02-23, 06:56 PM
Brooklyn based D&D and Yankees fan.

All hail Mariano!
Why you Red Sox fan gotta hate?
Want to hate a NY team, hate the Knicks.
Heck, I'll trade you the Knicks AND Islanders for the Celtics.

denthor
2010-02-23, 07:47 PM

Greetings from L.A. Go Dodgers

The METS? really?

MY ENTIRE TEAM S???S
So who do you root for in the World Series Dodgers or Yankees?

As far as 3.5 vs. 4.0 they are both flawed but 3.5 is closer to AD&D or 2nd edition if you prefer.

slyfox99
2010-02-24, 09:47 AM
Well. as a lifelong Mets fan, I do acknowledge that if there is a key choice to be made... THE METS WILL GET IT WRONG! (Which is probably why I am wearing a Red Sox hat as I type this...

Anyway, enough baseball... The reason I started this thread was to get a group together to play some 4th Edition D&D on a friday night. In New York... Is anyone interested?

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-24, 10:35 PM
Red SOX!
That is all.

This. Exactly.

The Extinguisher
2010-02-24, 11:15 PM
As a Canadian, I am contractually obligated to support the Toronto Blue Jays

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-02-24, 11:51 PM
Thanks to crazy parrallel dimension shenanigans, everyone is from the NYC area. But only on Earths in which rampant expansionism has caused the entire plkanet to be one Big Apple.

There is no baseball in this dimension, because there are too many windows to break.

rakkoon
2010-02-25, 05:42 AM
Welcome Slyfox...so there is a chance that when my kids are a bit bigger, we can play D & D together? I never thought of that. Could be fun...life will get easier later...IT WILL :smallwink:

slyfox99
2010-02-26, 12:59 PM
One of the best things about playing D&D with the kids is that it helps restore their imagination, something I fear TV and video games supress. I give them little "homework" assignments, too (since I only have them on weekends), stuff like "write me a story about your character and his or her family," etc. The results were pleasantly surprising...