PDA

View Full Version : Force of Personality

AlsoD
2010-02-23, 06:42 PM
Force of Personality (CAdv) states that it bases your Will save on Cha rather than Wis against "mind-affecting spells and abilities".

My question is this: how common are will saves that fit into this versus those that don't?

+2 from Iron Will tends to pale in comparison to the +5 that's possible at 1st level, and it only goes up from there. (Assuming Cha is priority and Wis is dump e.g. Sorc)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-23, 06:44 PM
RAW: Any spell from the Enchantment school is considered Mind-Affecting by default.

Optimization-wise: Only take it if you can't either dip Crusader 2, Pally 2, Hexblade 2, or Blackguard 2. If Evil-aligned, you can get blanket immunity to those effects for free.

Iron Will can be bought.

Otodetu
2010-02-23, 08:53 PM
If Evil-aligned, you can get blanket immunity to those effects for free.

Iron Will can be bought.

How if I might ask?

sonofzeal
2010-02-23, 09:00 PM
Oatylug's Hole (Complete Scoundrel). Costs 3k or so and a month of your character's time, grants Iron Will.

I should also mention "Scorpion's Resolve", a feat that gives +4 Will saves vs Mind-Affecting. Generally a better option than Iron Will, if you're actually taking it in a feat slot.

arguskos
2010-02-23, 09:14 PM
How if I might ask?
Protection from Evil, the spell. It grants total immunity to Mind-Affecting spells from Evil creatures.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-23, 09:16 PM
Protection from Evil, the spell. It grants total immunity to Mind-Affecting spells from Evil creatures.

I think Sinfire Titan was referencing Deformity (Madness), which you can get for free by worshiping an Elder Evil.

Demons_eye
2010-02-23, 09:17 PM
The vile feat: Madness. Or some thing along the lines of that makes you immune to mind effecting spells and lets you add 1/2 your class level to will saves for -4 to wisdom.

Damn it ninja'd....

Glimbur
2010-02-23, 09:25 PM
Slow. Unluck from Spell Compendium. Disjunction. Bestow Curse.

There are not a lot of will save negates spells that aren't [mind affecting], but some of them are really nasty.

Tiktakkat
2010-02-23, 09:28 PM

Not according to my PHB.

arguskos
2010-02-23, 09:33 PM
Not according to my PHB.
Derp. It's mental CONTROL. :smallsigh: Damn me and having like six conversations at once, I get lost easily. Thanks for the correction.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-24, 08:10 AM
Yeah, you can still get confused in a Protection spell.

Optimystik
2010-02-24, 08:16 AM
Derp. It's mental CONTROL. :smallsigh: Damn me and having like six conversations at once, I get lost easily. Thanks for the correction.

Not only that, but the Protection from X line defends against mental control regardless of alignment. So Protection from Evil will protect you from Suggestion no matter the source - the LE enchantress, the TN beguiler or the CG Bard.

Please note that it does not stop those spells from being applied to you, it just suppresses their effects. If your Pro: Evil spell runs out before Dominate Person does, you'll have to make a will save. (Or perhaps you've already made one; I'm not 100% clear on the interaction.)

Aharon
2010-02-24, 08:17 AM
@Protection
Could you also be commanded (Clr 1)? It grants control, but control for one round can hardly be called "ongoing", can it?