PDA

View Full Version : 4E: Adding a leader

Boci
2010-02-23, 07:15 PM
So, in my 13th level D&D group, there are pretty much two types of characters: strikers and defenders.

More specifically, we have:

1. A (human?) paladin
2. An eldarin assaultmage (me), sword of assault PP, focused on single target powers and encounter utilities
3. A (human?) archery ranger, some martial power PP,
4. A human chaos sorcerer
5. A (human?) striker wizard with some summoner PP out of AP. I say striker because he has no control powers what so ever. He is only a wizard to take the summoning powers. You know, the ones that deal damage and do little else.
6. An elven artful dodger rogue

I got permission from my DM to play a leader for a single session. I was thinking of a dwarf / cleric, Divine Oracle PP. Overall, I am guessing this will be a significant power boost, since the paladin should be able to handle tanking, and divine oracle will allow everyone to reroll initiative, which is useful for strikers, as is the auto crit ability. I am just wondering how much more powerful people think the group will become with my character swap, and are there any powers in particular that the party set up makes more optimal?

Mando Knight
2010-02-23, 07:49 PM
Lazer Cleric (Wis-based Cleric without Pacifist Healer) is solid, and Dwarves are nearly ideal for the build. If you want a melee cleric, go Dragonborn or Longtooth Shifter instead for attack stat synergy.

Boci
2010-02-23, 08:19 PM
As much as I wouild like to go down the laser cleric route, that would leave the party with 2 melee and 4 ranged attackers, so that might not be the best option.

DragonBaneDM
2010-02-24, 12:09 AM
If it's a melee leader ye be hankering for then why not settle on the Constitution Artificer? Total BLAST to play.

slyfox99
2010-02-24, 10:39 AM
Or why not just play an Invoker?

Blackfang108
2010-02-24, 10:42 AM
As much as I wouild like to go down the laser cleric route, that would leave the party with 2 melee and 4 ranged attackers, so that might not be the best option.

Eladrin Tactical Warlord.

Feats: Tactical Assault; Tactical Inspiration.

Your party will drop things quickly.

Boci
2010-02-24, 10:52 AM
If it's a melee leader ye be hankering for then why not settle on the Constitution Artificer? Total BLAST to play.

I don't think anyone has that book but I will ask around.

Or why not just play an Invoker?

Because thats a controller?

Camelot
2010-02-24, 11:05 AM
Artificers are really fun, and useful in a group of defenders and strikers as they can take unused healing surges from the defenders to use on the strikers when they run out.

However, if you don't have the book, maybe a bard. They can do a lot of healing in between encounters, their healing is always a set amount so you don't have to worry about unlucky rolls like clerics, warlords, and shamans, and they have a lot of controller powers to make up for the other gap in your party. And they're a blast to annoy the other players with. =)

Mordokai
2010-02-24, 11:22 AM
Bards are a lot of fun to play, since they are indeed a mix of controller and leader, and a good one at that. Half elf or gnome can make a great bard.

Alternatively, a taclord, for many boosts to attack rolls and his inspiring word can heal a good amount of hp as well. A properly optimised taclord can make a difference between loosing and winning an encounter.

Mando Knight
2010-02-24, 01:40 PM
The Oracle is a good PP for its insta-crit for one of your buddies. However, if you're gonna go melee, I suggest going Longtooth Shifter rather than Dwarf simply because of the double-stat synergy. Grab the Battle Cleric Armaments feat if Dragon 379 is available, otherwise plot out where you can afford to swap out a feat or two for Scale armor and/or Light Shield proficiencies.

You don't need a big weapon since you're striker-heavy, but it tends to help to have an extra Bastard Sword or Craghammer on your side.

With careful power choice, the Cleric can be almost as tank-y as his pal the Paladin while turning the entire party into a team of warriors with nearly infinite HP.

Shardan
2010-02-24, 06:24 PM
Bah, don't listen to them Dwarven battle cleric is solid. the difference of +1 to attack vs dwarf second wind+no armor movement penalty+mordenkrad+dwarf weapon training+battle cleric feats+lots of other things=dangerous leader/DD/defender
Not to mention you'll be playing a dwarf which is way cooler than a cat-man

and elves cause cancer

Mando Knight
2010-02-24, 09:17 PM
The difference between one point of difference in to-hit/damage is nearly negligible, but then you're also using a low-proficiency weapon, which means you're 2 short. A constant -2 to all attack rolls is significant if your DM optimizes the encounters so that the Rogue and Paladin don't always hit. The lack of armor movement penalty is negligible: Dwarves have a speed of 5 anyway... which means that they also don't get as much of a benefit from Scale Armor Specialization since they can't use the one feat to go up 1 AC and 1 speed. Minor action Second Wind is also somewhat useless for a high-level cleric, who has more healing sources for himself and his allies than he probably knows what to do with.

Mordokai
2010-02-25, 01:29 AM
and elves cause cancer

They do have Elven Accuracy however, which I believe is widely considered one of the most powerful racial powers. Or if not powerful, at least useful. It has saved my ass on more than one occassion. And for a cleric who doesn't have attack bonus of strikers or defenders, that means a lot.

Cancer or no cancer, I prefer elves over dwarves any day of the week. And it's not just flavor, 4E has actually made elves powerful enough to be compared to other races, something which I consider good.

Renchard
2010-02-25, 09:46 AM
Runepriest.