PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wish into a Prestige Class

Zexion
2010-02-23, 10:56 PM
So, a couple of days ago I was reading the book The Looking Glass Wars, by Frank Beddor. I looked at the ability referred to in the book as Imagination, and I thought that it could be an interesting ability to turn into a D&D mechanic.

So, here is a brief flavour description of the ability:
-Imagination is a form of magic that is based on exercising "mind over matter" to control the real world to a limited extend. Using imagination, you could create a pair of dancing tap dancing shoes, or you could project a beam of white energy that lops off people's heads with a single strike.

Some things that you CANNOT do with Imagination:
-make yourself know everything (because you don't know everything to imagine yourself knowing)
-kill someone (apparently the spirit of life is too strong to quash)
-destroy matter (you can create it though)

Any thoughts? I'm thinking it could be a skill, with varying results based on DC. It would probably take three or four skill ranks, though, instead of just one. This is a pretty powerful skill.
As written above, alternatively this could be a prestige class. Any thoughts?

Forever Curious
2010-02-23, 10:58 PM
So, a couple of days ago I was reading the book The Looking Glass Wars, by Frank Beddor. I looked at the ability referred to in the book as Imagination, and I thought that it could be an interesting ability to turn into a D&D mechanic.

So, here is a brief flavour description of the ability:
-Imagination is a form of magic that is based on exercising "mind over matter" to control the real world to a limited extend. Using imagination, you could create a pair of dancing tap dancing shoes, or you could project a beam of white energy that lops off people's heads with a single strike.

Some things that you CANNOT do with Imagination:
-make yourself know everything (because you don't know everything to imagine yourself knowing)
-kill someone (apparently the spirit of life is too strong to quash)
-destroy matter (you can create it though)

Any thoughts? I'm thinking it could be a skill, with varying results based on DC. It would probably take three or four skill ranks, though, instead of just one. This is a pretty powerful skill.

...so Psionics...minus death.

At first I thought you were making a Prc literally based on the Wish spell (which I worked out once...but regardless).

Zexion
2010-02-23, 11:00 PM
It is somewhat similar to Psionics, but I would rather make a mechanic based on the player's creativity.

Milskidasith
2010-02-23, 11:04 PM
It is somewhat similar to Psionics, but I would rather make a mechanic based on the player's creativity.

Ah, freeform. There are plenty of awesome systems for that, and D&D is not one of them. D&D is very squarely in the "mechanics trump all" category, at least in terms of combat (and social interaction, if any DMs don't houserule diplomacy).

Zexion
2010-02-23, 11:13 PM
Well, there would be basic rules, like any attack doing 1d6 for every five points by which the check exceeds the DC. Most things you could do would have a DC, but I don't want this ability to be completely limited by mechanics.

AustontheGreat1
2010-02-23, 11:15 PM
Ive read that book as well. I loved the cat as an assassin. A ShadowCraft Mage can do basically what imagination can do, at least thats what I did with my character based on that ability.

Zexion
2010-02-23, 11:17 PM
It is actually rather similar. Thanks for pointing that out. However, I'm looking for a more precise mechanic.