PDA

View Full Version : need painting scenery advice

ALOR
2010-02-24, 12:32 AM
i want to paint a piece of scenery i have like the Parthenon in Athens. That old bleached white look. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to go about it though. just a pure bright white? maybe a bleached bone. I haven't been able to find any good examples so just wondering if and painting experts out there had suggestions.
Thanks

Winter_Wolf
2010-02-24, 01:14 AM
Do a couple coats of white gesso (or white spray base, depending how big and what you're using, but I work exclusively with acrylic medium when dealing with minis and such) then do some very diluted washes of raw sienna, burnt umber, and gray (which I would get by mixing ultramarine blue and burnt umber). Do the washes unevenly to give it that dusty, weathered look that a quick google search of the Parthenon turned up. Do a few washes of yellow ochre for a more sun-bleached bone look.

Not sure how long you're planning to devote to painting, but to do it right you're going to need a couple of days to allow for drying between coats, and that's just for water based paint. If you're going to tackle it with oil-based paints, you're going to need a week to allow for drying and good luck with the washes, thinned oil based paints are a chore.

ALOR
2010-02-24, 01:18 AM
Do a couple coats of white gesso (or white spray base, depending how big and what you're using, but I work exclusively with acrylic medium when dealing with minis and such) then do some very diluted washes of raw sienna, burnt umber, and gray (which I would get by mixing ultramarine blue and burnt umber). Do the washes unevenly to give it that dusty, weathered look that a quick google search of the Parthenon turned up. Do a few washes of yellow ochre for a more sun-bleached bone look.

Not sure how long you're planning to devote to painting, but to do it right you're going to need a couple of days to allow for drying between coats, and that's just for water based paint. If you're going to tackle it with oil-based paints, you're going to need a week to allow for drying and good luck with the washes, thinned oil based paints are a chore.

thank you, I'm using games workshop paints so i don't have to worry about the oil.