PDA

View Full Version : Pounce Spell

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-24, 10:36 AM
Is there a spell or non-epic feat that grants a guy pounce?

Deth Muncher
2010-02-24, 10:37 AM

Heriocs, maybe?

Eloel
2010-02-24, 10:38 AM

Check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-24, 10:40 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOooooohhhhhhh, spank you my friend, spank you on the bottom ^^

d13
2010-02-24, 10:41 AM
Psionic Lion's Charge is the only thing that comes to mind...

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-24, 10:43 AM
i ask because i made a two weapon barbarian
at level 13 now, with 0 penalty because of tempest levels, my attack bonuses are 24/19/14 and 24/19. thing is. no matter how many attacks i can dish out in a turn, if the guy finds a way to move out of side-step distance, it all goes to heck >.<

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-24, 10:44 AM
1 level of cleric with the travel devotion feat

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-24, 10:47 AM
Hum, love the idea, little problem though...
Ive got 7barbarian/2fighter/4tempest, anymore classes or prestige classes after this and i start taking XP penaltys...

How much would an item that's enchanted with Lion's Charge spell cost??:smallconfused:

Douglas
2010-02-24, 10:48 AM
i ask because i made a two weapon barbarian
Er, what? You're asking for how to get Pounce when you're already the class that gets it most easily? Seriously, the standard easy solution for pretty much every time someone asks "how can I get Pounce" is "dip 1 level in Barbarian".

Look up the barbarian alternate class features in Complete Champion. In particular, you want the Lion Totem. Lose Fast Movement, gain Pounce. Permanently. All the time. Without spending actions casting a spell in combat.

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-24, 10:52 AM
I learned about the pounce from the lion totem after level one, not sure my DM would let me change that at this point in the story though.
Recently my char lost a foot, so he could resurrect a disintegrated friend (no wish in this setting)

Douglas
2010-02-24, 10:54 AM
Look up Retraining in PHB2. I'm pretty sure changing one class feature to an alternate is one of the options.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-24, 11:21 AM
Technically, Psionic Lion's Charge will permanently give you Pounce, since its duration is Instantaneous.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-24, 11:44 AM
Technically, Psionic Lion's Charge will permanently give you Pounce, since its duration is Instantaneous.
It still requires a swift action and 3 power points each round you manifest the power, so the instantaneous nature of the ability doesn't really buy you anything.

Eloel
2010-02-24, 11:48 AM
It still requires a swift action and 3 power points each round you manifest the power, so the instantaneous nature of the ability doesn't really buy you anything.

You only need to manifest it once. It doesn't refer to 'this round' when describing the benefits, so it lasts forever.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-24, 01:43 PM
You only need to manifest it once. It doesn't refer to 'this round' when describing the benefits, so it lasts forever.
This dubious reading of the power's description is nifty -- a nifty way to get your DM to smack you upside the head with the closest available rulebook.

Don't try this at home, kids. :smallamused:

arguskos
2010-02-24, 02:12 PM
This dubious reading of the power's description is nifty -- a nifty way to get your DM to smack you upside the head with the closest available rulebook.

And yet, it still works. Strange how poorly edited some books were, no? :smallsigh:

sofawall
2010-02-24, 02:34 PM

Much like Pun-Pun (and most of your rulings), it is stupid, but RAW.

Koury
2010-02-24, 02:43 PM
Personal pet-peeve: Its Spirit Lion Totem, not Lion Totem. Lion Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantcharacterclasses.htm#lionTotemClassFeatures ) gains Run.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 02:56 PM
I would imagine that losing a foot would mean you also lose the Fast Movement. See if your DM would let you swap it out for Pounce, via the whole, 'lose one physical attribute and the others will compensate' meme?

Person_Man
2010-02-24, 03:14 PM
I'm confused. Tempest Dance gives you the ability to move and make a full attack. You can just take more levels of Tempest.

Anywho, I would just let your character die, and play a different build. Barb 7/Fighter 2/Tempest 4 is made of suck. Alternatively, you could buy a Psicrown of the Evader (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psicrown_of_the_Evader) for Hustle. Or you can just ask someone to cast Polymorph on you. Or start using thrown weapons.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-24, 04:20 PM
If you still want that spell, Lion's Charge in the SpC. It's easy to miss, I only noticed it a week or so ago (I wondered why there was a Psionic version of a spell I couldn't find, not that I really looked). Druid and Ranger lists, high level for what it does though, IMO. Why would the as-written Psionic Lion's Charge get you smacked? I think it's fine, even if I am looking for balance. A one level dip of a class which is good for the builds Pounce is wanted in rarely gets so much hate, sure Psi L's Charge was clearly an oversight but it's still better than a lot of material (e.g. Monk).

Smythen
2010-02-24, 04:39 PM
If you still want that spell, Lion's Charge in the SpC. It's easy to miss, I only noticed it a week or so ago (I wondered why there was a Psionic version of a spell I couldn't find, not that I really looked). Druid and Ranger lists, high level for what it does though, IMO. Why would the as-written Psionic Lion's Charge get you smacked? I think it's fine, even if I am looking for balance. A one level dip of a class which is good for the builds Pounce is wanted in rarely gets so much hate, sure Psi L's Charge was clearly an oversight but it's still better than a lot of material (e.g. Monk).

Its druid - ranger
page 133 of spell compendium

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-24, 05:26 PM
Its druid - ranger
page 133 of spell compendium

:smallconfused:I did say it was Druid and Ranger. I assumed the page would be relatively easy to find, it's in alphabetical order. The spell is just in the corner of a page so I always looked over it, it also took me ages to find the Annis for the same reason.

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-24, 07:02 PM
Yeah, the fast movement was shot to heck with the lost foot, but the little hairy man that is my DM said:
The cleric looks at you and says: *We will require one of your hands to resurrect your friend*
And he smirks, saying: They're goes your five attacks per turn, bimbo :smallbiggrin:
Another thing, i usually play not to simply destroy everything in my sight, but also because i find some builds interesting
My Character is Holg Dat Thot, know as the black tempest (hes a black half-orc), wielding a keen sonic bastard sword and a keen electric bastard sword.
Even though the build may be sucky, hes a LOT of fun to play :smallsmile: