PDA

View Full Version : Team Peregrine?

iwarriorpoet
2010-02-24, 11:35 AM
Has Team Peregrine been in more than just their intro strip? If so--where? If not, I wonder how they are doing...
I bet that if an elven invasion of Azure city is successful---they WON'T hand it back over to the Azurites.
Thoughts?

RMS Oceanic
2010-02-24, 11:38 AM
First of all, no, they've only been in their intro strip.

Second, why would they want to occupy a city thousands of miles from the Elven Lands? Remember they abandoned Azure Island because it was too costly to occupy, the logistics of doing so much farther from home would be multiplied many times.

iwarriorpoet
2010-02-24, 11:49 AM
I am not 100% up on OOTS history (and thus doomed to repeat it---yeah, yeah, I know, I know...)
But why would Team Peregrine be trying to infiltrate the city at all---if not as part of a greater invasion force?
Or do you think they are interested in the Gate?

Ancalagon
2010-02-24, 11:54 AM
I like the theory they a) give support to the resistance and b) prepare the summoning of more troops/helpers.

RMS Oceanic
2010-02-24, 12:28 PM
I am not 100% up on OOTS history (and thus doomed to repeat it---yeah, yeah, I know, I know...)
But why would Team Peregrine be trying to infiltrate the city at all---if not as part of a greater invasion force?
Or do you think they are interested in the Gate?

It has been established that the Elves are allies of Azure City, so they're sending military aid.

iwarriorpoet
2010-02-24, 12:47 PM
OK, but I don't recall Hinjo asking the elves for support. They may be allies, but the elves could still have their own agenda. Plot twists ahoy!

hamishspence
2010-02-24, 12:50 PM
Going by this:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html

he's been asking for support for months- the elves are just slow to lend it.

slayerx
2010-02-24, 01:40 PM
I am not 100% up on OOTS history

You should do an archive binge on OotS; not only do you remember what you forgot but it's also a good read even the second or third time around

iwarriorpoet
2010-02-24, 01:45 PM
You should do an archive binge on OotS; not only do you remember what you forgot but it's also a good read even the second or third time around

Aww... Geez!!! It was in the preceding panel! Guess I got so zoiked about 'Team Peregrine' that I skipped that part.

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 01:52 PM
Given that they're elves they're probably sitting around smoking pot and communing with nature. :smallwink:

Optimystik
2010-02-24, 02:44 PM
elves are just slow

So very true.

DBear
2010-02-24, 08:12 PM
I thought the elves just sent the team to gather reconnaisance. I didn't think they were actually going to do anything like assassinate the goblin leaders or free the slaves.

Morquard
2010-02-25, 08:27 AM
They're meeting with the human resistance and organise how they'll proceed further. Supply drops, more troops etc.

I don't get why people make such a fuzz about Tem Peregrine anyway. They appeared in ONE stip, killed 3 low level goblins, made a send spell and have never been heard from again.
Damnit they even only got on their way after they've been explicitly been told "Teleport outside the city and walk inside", never did it occur to them to actually just try that before to gather recon.
Sorry, they just don't seem to me like the "level 40 epic super duper power rangers" team that could kill Xykon by sneezing some of the readers here want them to be.

DrGonzo
2010-02-25, 09:15 AM
So very true.

except for elven monks..

fwiffo
2010-02-25, 09:27 AM
I don't get why people make such a fuzz about Tem Peregrine anyway. They appeared in ONE stip, killed 3 low level goblins, made a send spell and have never been heard from again.

Well, because there would no reason to have them mentioned at all if this was not a Chekov's gun. Miko was introduced in very similar way - as a two-panel mention in strip 120. And then there was no followup for 80 strips, till she made her dramatic entrance in 199/200. Doesn't mean they will be playing role as big as Miko did, sure; but they gotta have some role to play.

Morquard
2010-02-25, 10:51 AM
They might have been introduced to show that the elves actually do something and that the Azurites still have some allies left.

But considering that Girards Gate is on the Western Continent and Kragor's apperently on the Northern there simply isn't much reason anymore for the OOTS to have anything to do with Azure City.

Miko was hunting the OOTS, so there was a connection there, I just don't see the analogy here.
Hey Dan's Hydra BBQ hut was introduced as well, will Dan play a major role too in the future? I mean there wouldn't be a reason to introduce him otherwise, right?

slayerx
2010-02-25, 01:31 PM
I thought the elves just sent the team to gather reconnaisance. I didn't think they were actually going to do anything like assassinate the goblin leaders or free the slaves.

"Liberation Commencing"

Hey Dan's Hydra BBQ hut was introduced as well, will Dan play a major role too in the future? I mean there wouldn't be a reason to introduce him otherwise, right?
So your comparing a plot point, to a one panel joke?
really though the reason people talk about the elves so much is because they are one of the biggest factors that will effect the fate of gobotopia... no this team alone will not kill Xykon, that's stupid. but they represent things to come, the future of elven invaders that will seek to liberate azure city and put an end to gobbotopia

really i do not expect to see much of the elves... we might get some mention as part of helping build on Redclok such as having him hear of the troubles back in the nation he built but unable to assist... but other than that we won't hear much

if we do get a detailed account, it will probably be in a separate book

Cleverdan22
2010-02-25, 02:29 PM
I'm going with the bet that Team Peregrine is underground by now, strengthening the Resistance. They could also possibly still be fighting guard forces on the outskirts of the city. But they most likely have some big running plan, possibly involving elven reinforcements.

Asta Kask
2010-02-26, 06:03 AM
I think they're singing:

God has smiled upon you this day
The fate of a nation in your hands
And blessed be the children, we who fight with all our bravery
'Til only the righteous stand

You see the distant flames
They bellow in the night
You fight in all our names, for what we know is right
And when you all get shot
And cannot carry on
Though you die, La Resistance lives on

ALL:
You may get stabbed in the head
With a dagger or a sword
You may be burned to death
Or skinned alive, or worse
But when they torture you
You will not feel the need to run
For, though you die, La Resistance lives on

Haven
2010-02-26, 07:18 AM
*salutes*

I'm going with the bet that Team Peregrine is underground by now, strengthening the Resistance. They could also possibly still be fighting guard forces on the outskirts of the city. But they most likely have some big running plan, possibly involving elven reinforcements.

My guess is that they're waiting for Xykon and Redcloak to leave before making their move.

Morquard
2010-02-26, 07:21 AM
So your comparing a plot point, to a one panel joke?
Well... it's only a plot point if it gets expanded on later. If its not, then its just a one panel joke.
So I don't think the comparission is that bad. There might have been better ones, it was the first thing I could think of though.

All I'm saying is "They HAVE to appear again, especially in a totally plot-critical way, because otherwise it was stupid to show them in the first place", is not such a compelling argument if you consider how many things were "shown in the first place" and then never appeared again.

really though the reason people talk about the elves so much is because they are one of the biggest factors that will effect the fate of gobotopia... no this team alone will not kill Xykon, that's stupid. but they represent things to come, the future of elven invaders that will seek to liberate azure city and put an end to gobbotopia

really i do not expect to see much of the elves... we might get some mention as part of helping build on Redclok such as having him hear of the troubles back in the nation he built but unable to assist... but other than that we won't hear much

if we do get a detailed account, it will probably be in a separate book
I guess I can agree with what you say here. I do expect the elves to do something, maybe help the Azurites take back the city, maybe at least free the slaves and get the survivors to Azure Island. And yes, of course Team Peregrine is a symbol for that.
But thats it.
I simply don't expect it to take up much screentime. The comic is called "Order of the Stick" not "Adventures of Team Peregrine" or "Exploits of the Elven Army". We follow what the OOTS does, and what their advesaries do (Team Evil, Linear Guild, Fiends). I can't really remember following any character that doesn't fit into one of those categories, exept for a one panel/strip joke.

Maybe they appear in a bonus comic or something in the next book. Or maybe in a seperate book, but I doubt that one. Or as part of the Team Evil storyline.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-26, 07:53 AM
All I'm saying is "They HAVE to appear again, especially in a totally plot-critical way, because otherwise it was stupid to show them in the first place", is not such a compelling argument if you consider how many things were "shown in the first place" and then never appeared again.
You'd have more of a point if Team Peregrine hadn't shown up right in the closing moments of the last book, the part where a few loose ends are tied up but events crucial to the future are hinted at for the first time. The introduction of Team Peregrine fits better alongside the return of the Linear Guild (with the IFCC as its puppet-masters) and the planet within the rift than it does next to Goblin Dan and his barbeque hut.

Which is not to say that they will play as plot-critical a role as those other examples, but they're by no means a throwaway either.

npc revolution
2010-02-26, 11:29 AM
I'm guessing we won't hear about them again until after Xykon has returned and he's taken Team Evil back on the road.

Then I reckons we'll see team peregrine struggle against Jirix's new leadership.

BillyJimBoBob
2010-02-26, 05:11 PM
Well... it's only a plot point if it gets expanded on later. If its not, then its just a one panel joke.A Hydra BBQ joint is a one panel joke. It may or may not be seen again. A team of elves powerful enough to teleport in and eliminate without a scratch a goblin patrol led by a caster is fairly certain to get further mention.

Dr Bwaa
2010-02-26, 08:49 PM
A Hydra BBQ joint is a one panel joke. It may or may not be seen again. A team of elves powerful enough to teleport in and eliminate without a scratch a goblin patrol led by a caster is fairly certain to get further mention.

Yes. Plus, the latter is not a joke, making its worth as a joke rather minimal. I don't see how the two are even comparable--we just don't know anything about what Team Peregrine is up to (and why would we? It would take considerable time before they could do anything of use, and as people have said, they're smart enough to wait to make a move until Xykon & Reddy move out).

albis
2010-02-28, 05:57 PM
Yes. Plus, the latter is not a joke, making its worth as a joke rather minimal. I don't see how the two are even comparable--we just don't know anything about what Team Peregrine is up to (and why would we? It would take considerable time before they could do anything of use, and as people have said, they're smart enough to wait to make a move until Xykon & Reddy move out).

I agree... they had to get in touch with Thanh, who was leading the Resistance, back then, so my guess would be that they've been operating silently up until now and are waiting for the Hobgoblins to lower their guard...

Onyavar
2010-02-28, 07:21 PM
Has Team Peregrine been in more than just their intro strip? If so--where? If not, I wonder how they are doing...
I bet that if an elven invasion of Azure city is successful---they WON'T hand it back over to the Azurites.
Thoughts?

Back to topic: I second the thought of the OP.

Hey, Cliffport has a ongoing trade war with the elves. Maybe the elves need a toehold on the central continent to support their own long-term agenda. Who said that elves act selflessly?

My suggestion is they're solving two problems at once: Return the Azurites from the old elven island to their former city (so that there is no possible threat) and make sure that Azure City will boycott Cliffport in future.

Red XIV
2010-02-28, 09:59 PM
But considering that Girards Gate is on the Western Continent and Kragor's apperently on the Northern there simply isn't much reason anymore for the OOTS to have anything to do with Azure City.

Miko was hunting the OOTS, so there was a connection there, I just don't see the analogy here.
I don't see how the whole "Azure City becomes Gobbotopia" development has any particular impact on the Order either. Yet we've seen four strips in a row dedicated to it now.

ChowGuy
2010-02-28, 10:55 PM
I agree... they had to get in touch with Thanh, who was leading the Resistance, back then, so my guess would be that they've been operating silently up until now and are waiting for the Hobgoblins to lower their guard...

Just out of curiosity what exactly makes you think they arrived "back then" and are not in fact just about to arrive? The fact that we've been following the Order's travels for the past few weeks (strip rime) does not mean events in the Goblin state formerly known as Azure City have simply been put on hold for the same amount of time.

Given RC's reference in fact to the events "of the past week (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html)" including an "attack on the tower" by "Elvin Wizards" and Zirix' subsequent remarks tying that unmistakably to V's actions, I think it's very clear that not that much time has in fact passed. I suspect we will not only see them again, but witness them "make contact with Thanh" and throw a monkey wrench in Team Evil's plan to get moving as soon as possible.

It is, in fact the only logical explanation for Xycon's not having already arrived at the next gate ahead of the Order. But for that plot-relevant explanation to makr good story telling, we need to see it as it happens.

slayerx
2010-02-28, 11:59 PM
I suspect we will not only see them again, but witness them "make contact with Thanh" and throw a monkey wrench in Team Evil's plan to get moving as soon as possible.

It is, in fact the only logical explanation for Xycon's not having already arrived at the next gate ahead of the Order. But for that plot-relevant explanation to makr good story telling, we need to see it as it happens.
The reason Xykon has not beaten the order to the next gate is quite simply because they have yet to find his soul-thingy-ma-bob... it fell into the sewers and was taken by the current down one of three underground paths, and the hobgoblins have been needing to search for it by hand; it could take weeks or even months to find it.

I doubt will see them make contact with thanh, they probably did that within the first hour on their arrival... it is already well enough implied that they were currently working with the resistance... furtharmore, the elves are HIGHLY unlikely to be high enough level to be able to deal with someone like Xykon... as such, their best plan for freeing azure city is to wait until the epic level lich leaves town. The elves signed up to free Azure city, not to lend their hand in protecting the gates.

frankly, if i had to guess, the next time we see them(if at all) it will probably be right after Xykon and RC leaves, and we see them make their first strike against gobbotopia... not much details, just enough to tell us that "the insurgents are starting to move now that team evil is gone"... after that we will probably get little to no additional details except maybe RC receiving a report on the attacks... unless this all manages to resolves itself before the end of the comic, then we might get something for the end of either gobbotopia, or the resistance... If we want actually details about what's going on, we will probably have to wait for a book (like SoD or OotPCs)

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-01, 11:22 AM
the elves are just slow ....

That's 'chronologically challenged'...

:smallwink:

albis
2010-03-01, 01:28 PM

LOL yay for politeness :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-03-01, 01:56 PM
It's worth remembering, that the original phrase, before people snipped either end off, was:

he's been asking for support for months- the elves are just slow to lend it.

Optimystik
2010-03-01, 02:02 PM
It's worth remembering, that the original phrase, before people snipped either end off, was:

Context schmontext :smallwink:

Asta Kask
2010-03-01, 02:06 PM

Isn't this a racial slur? :smallsmile:

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-01, 02:53 PM
Oh, c'mon! The original phrase was so..."accurate". I can't work with 'presnip'! What am I, a mohel?

:smallredface: