PDA

View Full Version : W-B-X! Henshin! (Kamen Rider Double Thread)

alchemyprime
2010-02-24, 12:01 PM
So, after being dismayed at finishing TTGL and having nothing more to watch, I have found a fan sub of Kamen Rider Double. Time well wasted, ahoy!

Now, as a kid, my babysitter would show us old tapes of the original Kamen Rider in Japanese (poorly subbed, by the way), and I would watch the So Bad It's Good dub of Kamen Rider Black RX called Masked Rider (which was so terrible that the owner refused to allow an American dub for another 13 years or so, until we finally got a dub of Ryuki, retitled "Dragon Knight" which isn't too bad, honestly.)

But Double... oh man... I'm freaking in LOVE with Double! A Kamen Rider with 9 different forms? Awesome! Okay, 10 later for the mid-season upgrade, though the Cyclone series is coolest to me, especially CycloneMetal.

The giant tank with the pieces for the bike? Amazing! The little USB sticks? Freaking awesome! I know if I were still an elementary schooler, I'd take my Dad's USB sticks going around and pretending to be Double. CycloneJoker! HeatMetal! LunaTrigger!

Oh man... anyone else have some love for the show? Makes me remember not only the old Kamen Riders, but also Batman:TAS, The Green Hornet and a bit of Doctor Who. I want to see this one come over here! I want an official dub!

Runestar
2010-02-24, 06:11 PM
I have been a fan of the kamen rider series since ryuki. Generally all right, though I felt that a few of the seasons (fiaz, kiva, decade) had really poor resolutions. They started off great, managed to hold our interests midway, then fizzled out somewhat with seemingly hasty and poorly thought out endings. Left me really unsatisfied. I know it is a toy-driven series, but you would think they could spend a little more money writing a better script.

Double is still pacing out well so far, though I am a getting a little irritated that the main villians don't seem to be getting fleshed out as much (they really got a fair bit of screen time early on). But a kamen rider who transforms into his own bike? That's a first here. :smalltongue:

alchemyprime
2010-02-24, 06:42 PM
I have been a fan of the kamen rider series since ryuki. Generally all right, though I felt that a few of the seasons (fiaz, kiva, decade) had really poor resolutions. They started off great, managed to hold our interests midway, then fizzled out somewhat with seemingly hasty and poorly thought out endings. Left me really unsatisfied. I know it is a toy-driven series, but you would think they could spend a little more money writing a better script.

Double is still pacing out well so far, though I am a getting a little irritated that the main villians don't seem to be getting fleshed out as much (they really got a fair bit of screen time early on). But a kamen rider who transforms into his own bike? That's a first here. :smalltongue:

Ryuki was okay, I really want to watch Kiva (just found a decent sub for that too. Got a few friends who may like it, so I'll share it with them), and Decade's design bugs me (no pun intended).

Just that Decade's mask and his Mid Season Upgrade are ANNOYING to me. Way too annoying. I could deal with Ryuki's masks. Not so much in Decade, with the cards in the eyes thing...

Prime32
2010-02-27, 10:40 AM
Doesn't Double have the greatest number of forms of any Kamen Rider ever? I count 38 if you include the effects of Decade's Final Form Ride (which causes each half of Double to become a complete Kamen Rider).

I'm mostly familiar with Kamen Rider through clips, though I've watched an ep or two of Decade. I have to say that Kiva's design bugs me the most of any I've seen (I never really like the whole "monster mash" theme). Decade's Complete Form is What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle8px80d2wm3pd) territory.