PDA

View Full Version : Psionics and Lycanthrope [3.5]

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 12:22 PM
I had a wierd epiphany on my drive home...

A Kalashtar Werewolf Wilder who whenever he enters his Wild Surge, he transforms into his hybrid form.

However, there's a lot of "grey reading" of WotC Rules...

1. Is this even plausible, considering that werewolves transform via their emotions (triggered by the moon in 99.99% of cases)

2. Can a Werewolf use his manifesting in his alternative forms?

3. Would this even be playable (mostly for Epic Manifesting)

Thanks. If this is a flop, I have a plan B...

lord_khaine
2010-02-24, 12:27 PM
As far as i can see your biggest problem would be to find a way to shift like a free or movement action, since else you cant both use a power and change shape in the same round.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 12:28 PM
I had a wierd epiphany on my drive home...

A Kalashtar Werewolf Wilder who whenever he enters his Wild Surge, he transforms into his hybrid form.

However, there's a lot of "grey reading" of WotC Rules...

1. Is this even plausible, considering that werewolves transform via their emotions (triggered by the moon in 99.99% of cases)It's very plausible. He gets a rush of endorphins which fuel his manifestation and makes him lose control.

2. Can a Werewolf use his manifesting in his alternative forms?Yes, so long as he either has his sentience intact (which is the case for lycanthropes), or has an instinctual knowledge of his abilities (quite probable, with a kalashtar).

3. Would this even be playable (mostly for Epic Manifesting)Well, transforming is a Standard action (it's a Supernatural Ability for some mind-boggling reason), so he'll have to either use Move and Swift action manifestations, or pare down the speed of his transformation and use a Move or a Swift action to transform.

Alternately, houserule a feat or alternative class feature (rather race specific, but it's for this particular character, so it's all good) that pushes him to transform as a free action if he fails a scaling Concentration check when wild surging, or somesuch. I suggest an alternative class feature, myself.

Thanks. If this is a flop, I have a plan B...What's Plan B?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 12:41 PM
As far as i can see your biggest problem would be to find a way to shift like a free or movement action, since else you cant both use a power and change shape in the same round.

Schism takes care of this nicely.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 02:18 PM
It's very plausible. He gets a rush of endorphins which fuel his manifestation and makes him lose control.

Yes, so long as he either has his sentience intact (which is the case for lycanthropes), or has an instinctual knowledge of his abilities (quite probable, with a kalashtar).

Well, transforming is a Standard action (it's a Supernatural Ability for some mind-boggling reason), so he'll have to either use Move and Swift action manifestations, or pare down the speed of his transformation and use a Move or a Swift action to transform.

Alternately, houserule a feat or alternative class feature (rather race specific, but it's for this particular character, so it's all good) that pushes him to transform as a free action if he fails a scaling Concentration check when wild surging, or somesuch. I suggest an alternative class feature, myself.

What's Plan B?

1. Okay. That was the concept at least
2. I meant he spends a full round with both Wild Surge & Transforming
3. Okay...
4. Plan B: Synad Erudite 10/Metamind 5/Arch Psion 5

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 02:29 PM
4. Plan B: Synad Erudite 10/Metamind 5/Arch Psion 5

No, just...NO.

You can buy their freaking class features! Seriously...

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 02:31 PM
No, just...NO.

You can buy their freaking class features! Seriously...

But the bonus power points....

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 02:31 PM
[Double-post]

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 02:32 PM
No, just...NO.

You can buy their freaking class features! Seriously...Do this after epic if you want to abuse their capstone (but take a level in wilder first, so you continue getting pp, if only once-every-other-level). Also, you might be able to knock something up with ardent. Possibly. It'll suck up your pp and one feat, but that's about it.

But the bonus power points....A single classed generic psion 20 gets more pp than a kalashtar psion 10/metamind 10 using every feat on Psionic Talent, and gets more powers and a higher ML, too.

Metamind sucks, pre-epic.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 02:34 PM
So Plan C:

Half-Illithid Kalashtar
Nomad 5/Elocator 10/Arch Psion 5

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 02:41 PM
So Plan C:

Half-Illithid Kalashtar
Nomad 5/Elocator 10/Arch Psion 5Could be worse, I guess. :smalltongue:

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 02:43 PM
Could be worse, I guess. :smalltongue:

...!!!

FINE. How would YOU build it?

Optimystik
2010-02-24, 02:43 PM
Or use the Hyperconscious version of Metamind (aka: the good one.)

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 02:44 PM
Or use the Hyperconscious version of Metamind (aka: the good one.)

Thats the one I meant. Not the hellacious one

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-24, 02:47 PM
...!!!

FINE. How would YOU build it?Err...That's...fine. Just fine. No problems here.

Move along, citizens.

*Scurries away*

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 02:50 PM
...!!!

FINE. How would YOU build it?

Erudite 10/Slayer 4/Archpsion 5

!

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 02:51 PM
Erudite 10/Slayer 4/Archpsion 5

!

...Alrighty then...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-24, 02:57 PM
If you still want to go the lycanthrope route, there is a prestige class for lycanthropes in the player's guide to farūn, the black blood hunter, it gives you some nice abilities to lycantrhopes, and eventually you get to change form as a swift or free action. Problem it has some bad pre-requisites (Vile Natural attack BoVD) and Power attack, and also it is a melee oriented class, though in epic play it might be worthwile

arguskos
2010-02-24, 02:58 PM
If you still want to go the lycanthrope route, there is a prestige class for lycanthropes in the player's guide to farūn, the black blood hunter, it gives you some nice abilities to lycantrhopes, and eventually you get to change form as a swift or free action. Problem it has some bad pre-requisites (Vile Natural attack BoVD) and Power attack, and also it is a melee oriented class, though in epic play it might be worthwile
"Sorry, but Player's Guide to Faerun was the wrong answer. Alex, what's the correct answer?"
"It was Champions of Ruin, Bill."

Also, totally what he said. It's a fun class.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 02:59 PM
I had thought of taking

Wilder 8/Anarchic Adept 10/Arch Mind 2

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 03:00 PM
I had thought of taking

Wilder 8/Anarchic Adept 10/Arch Mind 2

Can't qualify without either a feat (Knowledge Devotion or Educated) or an online ACF (Educated Wilder). Psion entry is actually better in this case.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-24, 03:01 PM
Can't qualify without either a feat (Knowledge Devotion or Educated) or an online ACF (Educated Wilder). Psion entry is actually better in this case.

Would take the ACF

and besides, if I went Psion, the whole concept of the Psi-Hulk is gone forever...

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 03:06 PM
Would take the ACF

and besides, if I went Psion, the whole concept of the Psi-Hulk is gone forever...

No it isn't. You get Wild Surge 2 and you have Overchannel. And a ton more powers known, so you can actually do something useful in your free time.

Optimystik
2010-02-24, 03:39 PM

Why on earth wouldn't you take Educated Wilder if you have the option? Volatile Mind sucks. :smalltongue:

Nate the Snake
2010-02-24, 04:18 PM
"Sorry, but Player's Guide to Faerun was the wrong answer. Alex, what's the correct answer?"
"It was Champions of Ruin, Bill."

But Player's Guide to Faerun is correct. :smallconfused:

Why on earth wouldn't you take Educated Wilder if you have the option? Volatile Mind sucks. :smalltongue:

Wait, Educated Wilder isn't the default and Volatile Mind isn't an ACF that nobody uses? :smallwink:

arguskos
2010-02-24, 04:21 PM
But Player's Guide to Faerun is correct. :smallconfused:
Um... no, the Black Blood Cultist can be found on page 44 of Champions of Ruin. :smallconfused: Oh, wait, did you mean the HUNTER? Ah, I misread then. Still, I liked my response. :smalltongue:

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-25, 08:42 AM
I think the build is flawed to say least...I mean, getting angry then becoming a werewolf? Actually, most DMs call it as a "no"