PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Rune stone... thing. Over powered?

Leeham
2010-02-24, 04:15 PM
I've jot a special encounter planned for my upcoming Pathfinder sandbox campaign, wherein the party will discover an ominous stone monolith, carved with a single rune, translating roughly as sword. If they touch the thing, they'll find a small pebble in one of their packs, carved with that same rune. If they hold said stone in hand and say sword, it becomes a +1 silvered longsword untill the end of that encounter, unless the sword draws no blood, in which case it reverts back to pebble form. Now the party should find this at roughly 1st to 3rd level. Is this over/under powered? Is it just plain useless?

Thanks in advance :)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 04:26 PM
...You're seriously classifying this kind of an ability as a Minor Artifact?

The only real abuse I see is the potential to arm an entire country. But even then, that's not much (considering you can't sell the swords). Limit the artifact's ability to produce the stones though. They could just sell those instead.

Cthulubot
2010-02-24, 04:29 PM
If they hold said stone in hand and say sword, it becomes a +1 silvered longsword untill the end of that encounter, unless the sword draws no blood, in which case it reverts back to pebble form.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can they only use this sword for one encounter ever, unless it draws no blood in that encounter? If so, the PCs will argue that anything without blood (Undead, Constructs, most Plants, etc.) won't count for getting rid of the weapon.

Is there some encounter with a monster possessing DR/[Magic and Silver] that you're planning?

Leeham
2010-02-24, 04:33 PM
I don't really intend for them to be able to find the monolith again. and sages in town will be able to tell them what it does. And the blood thing was intentional.

lesser_minion
2010-02-24, 04:40 PM
As far as I can tell, no problem at all.

The game might be fairly delicate at low levels, but I don't see that doing any damage.

The idea of preventing players from finding the stone again is pretty bad, however - even if they do repeatedly use it, you should be OK, but having them never again able to use the stone is going to feel seriously contrived.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 04:41 PM
I don't really intend for them to be able to find the monolith again. and sages in town will be able to tell them what it does. And the blood thing was intentional.

If it's as the above poster questioned, this is more of a cursed item than an artifact. If it is as I think it is (the stone can be used 1/encounter), then the item is no stronger than an existing Minor Magic Item.

Re'ozul
2010-02-24, 05:49 PM
Well, depending on when they are to use the pebblesword, you could simply make them not notice it for now.
It appears in one of their packs and is a mere pebble.
Considering they should (even as lvl1 characters) have quite a bit of stuff in there, they probably wouldn't notice it right away, only figuring things out when they stay somewhere for the night. (Have it rain beforehand so they have to dry their stuff making the pebble fall out of the pack its in).

The mechanics on when it transforms are bit wonky i think.
Does it transform for x minutes?
How does the "disappear" mechanic work? (As soon as blood falls on it? x rounds after first blood falls on it?)

Leeham
2010-02-24, 06:01 PM
If the sword is used in an encounter where it draws blood (I.e. Deals damage to a living creature) it will crumble to sand once all of the wielders foes are dead or unconcious, or if the wielder should be reduced to 0 hp.

Akal Saris
2010-02-24, 10:00 PM
Nah, seems fine to me.

Sophismata
2010-02-24, 10:08 PM
Just put in the caveat that each person is only ever granted a single pebble.

Siosilvar
2010-02-24, 10:14 PM
Just put in the caveat that each person is only ever granted a single pebble.

Or don't. Really, a +1 silver longsword isn't very impressive, even at 2nd or 3rd level (though it's probably the best they'll have). Though it is a useful item because of the whole "hidden weapon" thing.

Sophismata
2010-02-24, 10:20 PM
Or don't. Really, a +1 silver longsword isn't very impressive, even at 2nd or 3rd level (though it's probably the best they'll have). Though it is a useful item because of the whole "hidden weapon" thing.

Not for that type of balance, but to stop the rune stone being a central part of the characters for the next 3 levels when it's supposed to be a once-off. Narrative balance. Otherwise, players will go back after every other encounter, or stock up on 100 pebbles, or something else patently silly.