PDA

View Full Version : d&d paper

Erith
2010-02-24, 05:01 PM
Through some miracle, I managed to convince my composition teacher to let me write a large paper about d&d. I have settled on the topic of the usefulness of clerics and wizards in a largescale war. My plan is to walk through The Art of War and possibly The Prince and compare the usefulness of the cleric vs the wizard in each situation.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems finding good sources. I'm already referencing the logic ninjas guide to playing batman, and the wizards guide to being god, as well as "Optimization by Numbers." The main problem is that I'm having issues finding 2 primary studies. Optimization by numbers can count as 1, but I'm having troubles finding another.

I'm also having troubles finding a guide similar to tln's guide to playing batman for clerics. If anyone could point me in the direction of something like this, it would be much appreciated

Satyr
2010-02-24, 05:15 PM
Make sure that the whole text and its concepts are completely understandable for a layman. Any good scientific text is written in a way that a layman can follow it while someone "in the know" can still draw valuable information from it.

Koury
2010-02-24, 05:17 PM
There is the Cleric Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866830/The_Cleric_Handbook). That may help, I hope.

Also, don't suppose I could talk you into posting your paper when you finish. Sounds like it could be interesting :smallbiggrin:

DementedFellow
2010-02-24, 05:22 PM
I really feel sorry for you. The number of mitigating factors that can be brought in are really huge. Even if you just stick with just core, you are going to have to first identify who they are fighting and see what tactic would be most effective.

I do not envy your Herculean task. This paper could be the size of a small novel by the time you get done with it, depending on how far you go.

Erith
2010-02-24, 05:33 PM
Thanks, that cleric guide should help.

Another question I've been thinking about is what level should I write about? Before I brought in the art of war, I was thinking maybe a variety, but now I'm thinking more in the 10-14 range.

Would the level by level breakdown of spells in the wizards guide to playing god count as a primary source? The main criteria my teacher is looking for is that it have a well defined procedure, sample group, and outcome. The sample group and outcome would work, but would that really show a procedure?

Reynard
2010-02-24, 05:45 PM
Fixed waves of enemies, coming in every n number of rounds. See the differences between cleric and wizard when dealing with an identical encounter. Do a few different encounters.