View Full Version : ShneekeyTheLost vs T.G.Oscar Exhibition

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 06:07 PM
This will be an Exhibition Round, as per Oscar's request

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4343/arena2i.gif

Buffs are Daily + 3 buff rounds.

Shinji's BuffsDaily: Psionic Focus

1) Detect Hostile Intent
2) Empathic Feedback, augmented cap up to 14 points, using Overchannel, blowing Psionic Focus for Talented to bypass damage.
3) Energy Retort (Lightning)
total PP spent during buffing rounds: 3+14+5=22. 11 came out of the Cognizance Crystal, for a total of 11pp spent from his pp pool.

Gentlemen, roll your initiative and choose your starting square!

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 06:15 PM
[RL has make a slight hitch. I'm having to go bail a friend out of a tight situation. Be back in around 2 hours]

Initiative[roll0]

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 06:23 PM
Minami's Buffs:
Daily: Child of Shadows (stance)
Round 1: Potion of Mage Armor (+4 armor bonus to AC, 10 minutes)
Round 2: Barkskin (+2 natural armor bonus to AC, 40 minutes)
Round 3: Embrace the Wild (blindsense up to 30 feet, low-light vision, +2 to Listen and Spot; 40 minutes)

Enhanced stats:
AC 26 (+4 armor, +2 natural armor, +2 Dex, +2 deflection, +6 Wis); Touch 20, Flat-Footed 24

Listen +24
Spot +24

Minami's Starting Square:
Y8

Minami's Initiative: [roll0]

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 08:08 PM
starting square C9

Looks like I won initiative. Do I see anything?

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 08:14 PM
starting square C9

Looks like I won initiative. Do I see anything?

You see what seems to be a girl, dressed in a short-sleeved white dress with red borders, long-black hair partly covered with a bandanna (equally white with red borders). She would be covered somewhat beneath one of the posts, but she's actually quite visible.

She seems to be a bit lost, actually...

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 08:46 PM
Before you stands a young adult human male, with black hair in a chili bowl cut. He is what was once probably some kind of uniform, well worn and abused. The most disturbing thing about him is his empty gaze, and the autonomic movements as he sees the little girl

"Poor thing... a simple child... doomed to die in this wretched existence. Why must they torture us so?"

Move action to regain psionic focus, moves 5' forward, then manifests Dimension Slide

He shuffles 5' forward, then suddenly he appears at O9

"Come here, little girl. I will make the pain stop..."

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-24, 08:57 PM
Shneeky:
Not a huge problem, but you can only manifest a given power by using one power point source. So you can only spend 8 of the 11 power points in your Cognizance Crystal, since the 14 is too much for it to handle.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 08:58 PM
Shneeky:
Not a huge problem, but you can only manifest a given power by using one power point source. So you can only spend 8 of the 11 power points in your Cognizance Crystal, since the 14 is too much for it to handle.

You are correct, I still have 3 left in my cognizance crystal, and have deducted 3 from my PP pool. :smallredface:

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 09:21 PM
"Eeeep!! What's the big idea with you, creep! Creeping on me like that!

The girl mutters what seem to be two incomprehensible letters.
Swift Action: cast Swift Haste

Duration: [roll0] rounds

"And I'm, not, HURT!! I'll show you what the word 'pain' means, you meanie!

You see as how the girl moves much faster than she should, moving from one side of the pole to a nearby tree. As she moves and crosses a shady area, some of the shadows seem to cling to her, somehow masking her appearance. She draws her bow while she moves, but apparently draws no arrows.

Move action: Y8 to P4.
Child of Shadows effect activates, Ring of Entropic Deflection activates, Skirmish activates, Improved Skirmisher feat activates.

Effects: Melee miss chance 20%, ranged miss chance 50% (Gliding Boots provide enhancement bonus to speed, effect overlapped by Swift Haste, enhancement effects would otherwise apply according to description of Gliding Boots), extra 5d6 damage per attack, +5 competence bonus to AC (total AC increase 32 with Swift Haste).

"Ki-yap! Ace in the hole!"

She pulls on the bow without any arrow mounted, as if she were to shoot various arrows at the same time. She does a swift motion, and several arrows of what seems to be energy flow from it.

Attack action: Multishot
Attack roll: [roll1]

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 09:27 PM
"Eeeep!! What's the big idea with you, creep! Creeping on me like that!

The girl mutters what seem to be two incomprehensible letters.
Swift Action: cast Swift Haste

Duration: [roll0] rounds

"And I'm, not, HURT!! I'll show you what the word 'pain' means, you meanie!

You see as how the girl moves much faster than she should, moving from one side of the pole to a nearby tree. As she moves and crosses a shady area, some of the shadows seem to cling to her, somehow masking her appearance. She draws her bow while she moves, but apparently draws no arrows.

Move action: Y8 to P4.
Child of Shadows effect activates, Ring of Entropic Deflection activates, Skirmish activates, Improved Skirmisher feat activates.

Effects: Melee miss chance 20%, ranged miss chance 50% (Gliding Boots provide enhancement bonus to speed, effect overlapped by Swift Haste, enhancement effects would otherwise apply according to description of Gliding Boots), extra 5d6 damage per attack, +5 competence bonus to AC (total AC increase 32 with Swift Haste).

"Ki-yap! Ace in the hole!"

She pulls on the bow without any arrow mounted, as if she were to shoot various arrows at the same time. She does a swift motion, and several arrows of what seems to be energy flow from it.

Attack action: Multishot

That is an easy hit, however...

As the bolt hits the creepy human, a bolt of lightning shoots out along the same trajectory

Ranged Touch Attack [roll0]
Damage (if successful) [roll1] Lightning damage, Reflex save DC 21 for half

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 09:59 PM
That is an easy hit, however...

As the bolt hits the creepy human, a bolt of lightning shoots out along the same trajectory

"Oi! Almost singed Minami-chan! Too bad the very Mistress of Magic watches my step!"

The ray of lightning passed really close to the girl, but her honed reflexes make her evade the hit.
Touch AC thus far is 26 without Mage Armor and Barkskin.

Since apparently the attack hits:
Damage: [roll0] plus [roll1] (Skirmish) damage
If opponent cast spells or invocations: above +[roll2]
Multishot does three arrow attacks; Skirmish applies only once as per rules. Skirmisher Boots activate, adding +2 to Skirmish damage. Favored Enemy (arcanists) adds a +6 and Magebane adds +2 attack (which is not added to the original roll), and 2d6+2 extra damage to arcanists. All damage, unless noted otherwise, is Force damage.

End turn.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 10:08 PM
The human grins, looking at his wounds briefly, then starts laughing, a noise which clearly precludes any shred of sanity

"Ohhh... oh, that felt good. Here, let me show you..."

Shinji moves to P6, shuffling along the way, looking down at his feet, then suddenly looks up at her with a vacant wide-eyed stare

Empathic Transfer, Hostile, Augmented an extra 6 points to make it an AE 20' reach

A blast of sheer agony invades her mind, she can literally feel what he felt when she shot him. Take 42 damage, Will save for half DC 19

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 10:21 PM
A blast of sheer agony invades her mind, she can literally feel what he felt when she shot him. Take 42 damage, Will save for half DC 19

"Ugh...I...must...resist...but...he's...so...cute.. .!! No, I'm supposed to remain a virgin!!"

Will saving throw: [roll0]
If succeeds by 4 or more, current HP 80
If fails by 3 or less, current HP 59.

Finished turn?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 10:23 PM
He seems to heal as she takes damage

End turn

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 11:01 PM
"Eeew!! Not only you dare try to take advantage of myself, you...heal by making your wounds sting me!

That does it! Minami-chan will no longer be nice with you! Out to the Wall of the Faithless with you!!"

The girl seeks to move away, but pushes one of the beads in her belt. The bead turns white, and she seems to renovate with energy.

Swift action: activate Belt of Battle. Use one charge to gain another move action.

Remaining charges: 2

She darts past the creepy young man, doing a somersault with great skill and falling not far away. She seems to drag some of the tree's shadows with her, masking her figure once again.

Move action: P8 to T6, Tumble check for passing through threatened squares (if any) [roll0]
Child of Shadows stance activates, Ring of Entropic Deflection activates, Skirmish activates, Improved Skirmish activates.

"Off to the Walls with you!! Minami-chan's special attack! Volley of Strikes!"

Full-round action: full attack.
Attack 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]
Attack 3: [roll3]
Attack 4: [roll4]

Using extra attack granted by Swift Haste; not using Rapid Shot. All attacks gain the Skirmish benefit (5d6 damage) if hit. All attacks are force damage unless otherwise stated.

Current AC: 32; Flat-footed 29 (-2 Dex, -1 Haste effect); Touch 26 (-4 armor, -2 natural armor)

Rounds remaining from Swift Haste: 3

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 11:18 PM
All attacks hit. Let's see if you can one-shot KO me

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 11:20 PM
Oh yes, Energy Retort, Touch Attack [roll0]
Damage Ref/half DC 21 if it hits [roll1]

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 11:26 PM
Wha? Darn, that's impressive. You'll probably one-shot me if I don't, but at least it's a good try...

Damage 1: [roll0] plus [roll1] skirmish damage
Damage 2: [roll2] plus [roll3] skirmish damage
Damage 3: [roll4] plus [roll5] skirmish damage
Damage 4: [roll6] plus [roll7] skirmish damage
All attacks gain the skirmish extra damage. Skirmisher Boots activate and add +2 to damage.

End turn.

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 11:32 PM
Hits Minami's touch AC.

Is it a melee or ranged touch attack?

In any case, just if it were to hit.
Reflex save:[roll0]

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 11:34 PM
The human is impaled by the bolts of force, and falls to the ground, bleeding out but not quite dead.

Damn, by four freaking points. Had you hit me for four less damage, I'd have returned to sender, postage due, go

Good game.

Some critique of your build:

1) You've got good defenses, this is a good thing. Try to get Mettle, and my build becomes unable to affect you at all

2) Decent DPS, although missiles are stupidly easy to counter. Had I any form of concealment, your damage output would have been minimal. In fact, the only reason why I didn't is because the more you hurt me,the more I hurt you back. I could have returned every last point of damage back in your face, had I survived.

3) You have no passive defenses. Things like Invisibility. Granted, Child of Shadows + Skirmish is a pretty nice combo, but most builds are going to chew through this like nothing.

I should have activated my own Belt of Battle to heal myself with the rest of the way (I only healed half the damage I dealt since I only hurt you for half since you made your Will save), but I didn't realize you could nova like that. Good job!

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-24, 11:48 PM
The human is impaled by the bolts of force, and falls to the ground, bleeding out but not quite dead.

Damn, by four freaking points. Had you hit me for four less damage, I'd have returned to sender, postage due, go

Good game.

Whee!! First win!

Some critique of your build:

1) You've got good defenses, this is a good thing. Try to get Mettle, and my build becomes unable to affect you at all

I would, but I had a bigger set of defenses. In fact, the reason why I asked if it was a melee or a ranged attack was just to see which of the miss chances applied :P

Because, you know: Child of Shadows was not the only way I allowed a miss chance.

2) Decent DPS, although missiles are stupidly easy to counter. Had I any form of concealment, your damage output would have been minimal. In fact, the only reason why I didn't is because the more you hurt me,the more I hurt you back. I could have returned every last point of damage back in your face, had I survived.

Perhaps, but I had a way to make concealment a problem in ranged, and worthless in melee. Really, worthless in melee.

3) You have no passive defenses. Things like Invisibility. Granted, Child of Shadows + Skirmish is a pretty nice combo, but most builds are going to chew through this like nothing.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. I balanced my attack portion and my defense portion to work things out. Child of Shadows was something I actually got later on, and Skirmish is important because it's the battle tactic. However, it's not the only tactic available to Minami; however, it's one half of the defensive tactic though.

I should have activated my own Belt of Battle to heal myself with the rest of the way (I only healed half the damage I dealt since I only hurt you for half since you made your Will save), but I didn't realize you could nova like that. Good job!

The funny part is that the nova tactic can be used a few times per day (using Belt of Battle, plus another method to get a "10 feet step" which is why I moved again to the bridge), and I had different ways to go nova. It's a pretty flexible nova build, but the core battle tactic is Skirmish + Manyshot. It would be far more awesome if it were Greater Manyshot, though.

Still, I was wondering...what was the method you used to drain damage? It seems like an automatic hit, which is pretty tough... Also, if you wish, I can explain the build a bit better just in case.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-24, 11:57 PM
I was using Empathic Transfer, Hostile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransferHostile.htm), augmented to the 20' burst version to bypass needing an attack roll, since your touch AC was too high for me to reliably hit

And you really, *REALLY* didn't want to hit me in melee. Energy Retort is weaksauce, since it's a Ranged Touch Attack *AND* allows Ref/Half. However, I had also used Empathic Feedback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicFeedback.htm) and used Overchanel + Talented to boost the damage cap to pretty impressive levels. You'd have killed yourself in melee. Also, if you had charged, you would have found out that you were not the only one who had dipped into ToB...

And then I'd have used Empathic Transfer, Hostile again, this time augmenting it up to return all the damage to sender, postage due, on top of the damage from Empathic Feedback...

I call him Shinji Ikari because he is the most Emo person alive... he wins by being hurt.

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-25, 12:17 AM
Ah, I see. The entire idea of getting into melee was actually to land a Stunning Fist on you. Yes. A Stunning Fist. At a respectable DC 23, actually, though I presume you somehow had a way to get high Fort so it's pointless.

In case it helps: I could have done several things, actually. I believe I used about 40-50% of Minami's full ability, and I barely used any of her abilities. Stunning Fist was just one of her abilities. And I could reliably go nova about 3-6 times per day, then keep a good amount of damage for about two more, and then go with the first attack you saw.

And actually, the idea is to keep in range. The miss chance for ranged weapons is far better than that of melee, which is part of the second tactic I mentioned.

If you're curious: Spell Deflection + Ring of Entropic Deflection + Gliding Boots. Since the Gliding Boots grant an enhancement bonus to movement speed, the Ring grants an effect as if Entropic Shield but 50% miss chance, which is not concealment by any means. Couple that with a touch AC of 26, and Spell Deflection has several chances of activating.

The only reason I didn't use it was because it's an immediate action, which ruins the swift action of the next round IIRC. Or cannot be used because of already using the swift action for something else.

If it helps...I also had Resist Energy, just that I was waiting to see which kind you'd use. Though, with Psionics, that doesn't matter; you would have just changed the damage type.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-25, 12:29 AM
Ah, I see. The entire idea of getting into melee was actually to land a Stunning Fist on you. Yes. A Stunning Fist. At a respectable DC 23, actually, though I presume you somehow had a way to get high Fort so it's pointless.

In case it helps: I could have done several things, actually. I believe I used about 40-50% of Minami's full ability, and I barely used any of her abilities. Stunning Fist was just one of her abilities. And I could reliably go nova about 3-6 times per day, then keep a good amount of damage for about two more, and then go with the first attack you saw.

And actually, the idea is to keep in range. The miss chance for ranged weapons is far better than that of melee, which is part of the second tactic I mentioned.

If you're curious: Spell Deflection + Ring of Entropic Deflection + Gliding Boots. Since the Gliding Boots grant an enhancement bonus to movement speed, the Ring grants an effect as if Entropic Shield but 50% miss chance, which is not concealment by any means. Couple that with a touch AC of 26, and Spell Deflection has several chances of activating.

The only reason I didn't use it was because it's an immediate action, which ruins the swift action of the next round IIRC. Or cannot be used because of already using the swift action for something else.

If it helps...I also had Resist Energy, just that I was waiting to see which kind you'd use. Though, with Psionics, that doesn't matter; you would have just changed the damage type.

Shinji would not have been very afraid of a DC 23 Fort save, no.

Your problem is that most builds use Save or Loose effects, which you don't seem to have any counters for. We're talking about things like Forcecage/Cloudkill combos. Most people don't bother with attack rolls anymore. My build is considered exceedingly 'noobish', by ToS standards.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-25, 01:02 AM
Shinji would not have been very afraid of a DC 23 Fort save, no.

Your problem is that most builds use Save or Loose effects, which you don't seem to have any counters for. We're talking about things like Forcecage/Cloudkill combos. Most people don't bother with attack rolls anymore. My build is considered exceedingly 'noobish', by ToS standards.

Actually, save or loose builds don't end up working too well in the ToS. A Gray Elf Wizard 13 with SF and GSF and 28 Intelligence has a save DC of 28 on its best spells. And that IS a wizard with an excessively high intelligence score. DC 25 is more typical.

Now, I can, with little to no effort on a caster, get a save DC of around +15 on my weakest save. One round of buffing and one potion of conviction +5 later (900gp), I have ~+20/+23/+26 saves. DC 25 isn't going to do very much.

Anyway...congrats on those characters, both of you. I do need to go and make another archer...

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-25, 01:08 AM

Well, the only counter effect I have is pure saving throws, considering only Will is the worst, and not by much actually. That's why I say it's probably Tier 4th, since it relies on traditional defenses instead of innovative defenses: high AC, high saving throws, miss chances and even energy resistance. I have ways to deal with chaotic and evil creatures trying to get in, but not exactly forever.

So yeah, I recognize that. The biggest counter for Minami is movement, and not exactly movement type but moving at all. Most of her tactics rely on moving one way or another, and she has ways to move other than by land.

It's hard to counter for other maneuvers if you're not a caster, tho. It's very difficult, which is why this is quite probably one of the best defensive formations that you can work without being a pure caster.