PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gestalt Swift Hunter// Psycich Warrior?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-24, 07:27 PM
How does a swift hunter synergy with psychic warrior? I believe that psychic warrior can cover many of the shortcomings of the swift hunters build, for example the power psionic lion's charge is a good way (I am aware there are better ones) to get pounce and therfore a way to skirimish.
Also since Ranger's casting is WIS based it kinda synergise with Psychic warrior, plus if you take slayer on the psychic warrior side, you get another FE to skirimish XP

And also can one summon two weapons using the ACF soul bound weapon?
my plan is to get a soul bound eagle claws, but I am not sure if it is legal to summon two at the time....

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-25, 09:18 AM
Bump.... common, Anybody got a suggestion? thoughts? critiques? even death threats are accepted which I will glady return

Boci
2010-02-25, 09:45 AM
Is this for gestalt, because mixing 3 classes that like outside of it will likely becomer messy?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-25, 09:45 AM
Honestly... the best thing to do is use PW as a mobility device.. for things like
flight and hustle.

Every thing else is gravy...

Also I could see archery doing very well here.. boost Wis and STR get zen archery and you should be good.

a round might consist of hustle then move 20 feat then full attack with your bow.

Edit: yes its for gestalt hence the // inbetween swift hunter and PW

Greenish
2010-02-25, 09:46 AM
I assume you mean in gestalt. It should make a decent archer, I guess. Expansion to increase weapon damage, Hustle to get move actions for Skirmish and still full-attack, psionic warrior goodies, good skills and so forth.

Zen Archery means you can focus on wis, con and str (for that composite longbow).

You might need the psywarr bonus feats to feed to archery side, so you might want to delay your entry to slayer, or mix the levels from both, though slayer gets some sweet class features you might want.

Oh, and having written that, I noticed you meant to go melee. :smallredface:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-25, 09:47 AM
@Boci: Yes this is gestalt, I will change the thread title to cover that but I thought the double bars (//) we standar for indicating gestalt

@Ragnarokschosen: well I was planning for this build to be a TWF but I see your point concerning mobility....

Edit: @Greenish: Well, though melee is my first intention I am not closed of to archery route

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-25, 09:50 AM
@Boci: Yes this is gestalt, I will change the thread title to cover that but I thought the double bars (//) we standar for indicating gestalt

@Ragnarokschosen: well I was planning for this build to be a TWF but I see your point concerning mobility....

If you want to go TWF i would pick something other then Swift hunter on that side.

Swift ambusher mabye because you will atleast have SA to get... but swift hunters make better archers all around. Even with pounces.

Expansion and the bonus damage power is nice.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-25, 09:51 AM
hmmm is it possiblt to get soul bound weapon on a bow?

Greenish
2010-02-25, 09:55 AM
hmmm is it possiblt to get soul bound weapon on a bow?Sure, neither Call Weaponry or the AFC specify melee weapons.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-25, 09:56 AM
The thing is... arrows.... well what I save up in enchanting the bow I can spend it on magic arrows

Greenish
2010-02-25, 09:59 AM
The thing is... arrows.... well what I save up in enchanting the bow I can spend it on magic arrowsTalk to your DM on how the AFC interacts with "If you call a projectile weapon, it comes with 3d6 nonmagical bolts, arrows, or sling bullets, as appropriate". By RAW, they'd stay nonmagical, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to change that.

[Edit]: And if you're cheap, just buy nonmagical arrows:
Ranged Weapons and Ammunition
The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.

Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment gains the alignment of that projectile weapon (in addition to any alignment it may already have).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-25, 10:00 AM
Talk to your DM on how the AFC interacts with "If you call a projectile weapon, it comes with 3d6 nonmagical bolts, arrows, or sling bullets, as appropriate". By RAW, they'd stay nonmagical, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to change that.

Forgot about that part..... though 3d6 arrows pero manifesting is not that much considering that if I go the archery route I will take greater manyshot.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-25, 10:07 AM
you could take expanded knowledge Bolt from the psi/wilder list.
(or even just take a level of psion , wont realy hurt )

Heres a link:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bolt.htm

Greenish
2010-02-25, 10:21 AM
you could take expanded knowledge Bolt from the psi/wilder list.
(or even just take a level of psion , wont realy hurt )

Heres a link:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bolt.htmGood call, questionable use of a feat. Now then, if you can somehow get this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) on your called weapon, you'll be golden without ever buying arrows, not to mention that it's one of the best (if not the best) ranged weapons in the game. Power Attack for ranged weapons? Hell yes!

[Edit]: Forgot to add the link. Where's that facepalm smiley…

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-25, 10:29 AM
isn't there an endless quiver? you should get one of those...

the extra bolts from the call weapon are decent for emergancy use only.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-25, 10:41 AM
Use the 3d6 arrows to supplement your other ammo.

Also, note that numerical enhancement bonuses don't stack (a +1 bow and a +3 arrow is still a +3 to attack and damage), other weapon properties do. A +5 splitting, flaming bow added to a +1 frost, human-bane, brilliant energy, seeking arrow equates to a +5 splitting, flaming, frost, human-bane, brilliant energy, seeking attack.

Also, if going psychic warrior, make sure to get some +1 manifesting arrows. You get 5 pp per arrow (which recharge daily) and they cost 1/50 the amount of a standard weapon (just make sure you don't waste them by firing them).

Draz74
2010-02-25, 12:05 PM
Also, if going psychic warrior, make sure to get some +1 manifesting arrows. You get 5 pp per arrow (which recharge daily) and they cost 1/50 the amount of a standard weapon (just make sure you don't waste them by firing them).

Oh, wow. That's a dirty, dirty, brilliant optimization trick for psionic characters ... and yet I think it's completely unquestionable by RAW. Manifester even appears on the Ranged Weapons table of magic properties in the SRD.

I checked in case MIC nerfed the Manifester property for weapons. It didn't; it just made it cheaper. :smallamused:

How have I never heard this idea before?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-25, 12:07 PM

Do they stack? because I could get a stack of 50 manifesting arrows and get a bunch of PP from them...

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-25, 12:10 PM
Do they stack? because I could get a stack of 50 manifesting arrows and get a bunch of PP from them...

sort of... with a stack of 50 manifester arrows... it would be like 250 pp i belive you'd have.

Though they would still use the rules for mainifesting from a source or what not... so you could only use them on powers that cost less then 5 and where not being agumented above 5.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-25, 12:14 PM
There are some good powers that cost 5 or less PP hustle, force screen vigor and I am sure there are more.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-25, 12:27 PM
How have I never heard this idea before?I'm the one who came up with the idea; I've mentioned it before, but it's never really caught on.

There are some good powers that cost 5 or less PP hustle, force screen vigor and I am sure there are more.Bite of the wolf, expansion, compression, skate, call weaponry, inertial armor, animal affinity, body adjustment, detect hostile intent, dimension swap, strength my enemy, claws of the vampire, dimension slide. Really, there are lots of good powers to use.

Also, drawing (and dropping) an arrow is a free action, so you don't have to worry about keeping one on-hand.

[edit] Soulbound Weapon Variant + manifesting weapon = manifesting mitigation.