PDA

View Full Version : Elric for 4e D&D

slyfox99
2010-02-24, 09:45 PM
Okay, I was reading "Song of the Black Sword," Michael Moorcock's (sort of) re-write of the Elric saga and I got to wondering... If one wanted to design either Elric as an NPC for 4e or perhaps a young beginning level 1 Elric-wannabe, what would one do? My initial thoughts lead me to an Infernal Pact Warlock, multiclassed as a fighter with a weapons proficiency in the greatsword... He'd probably be an Eladrin, that being as close to Melnibonean as there is in D&D, and, especially if he were a PC, I'd give him the Melee Training Feat from PHB2 so he could use Intelligence instead of Strength in his sword attacks....

And speaking of swords, how about Stormbringer? A soul-sucking greatsword with a sentience and agenda of its own? A demon recast into the form of a sword... And a powerful demon to boot... If one recalls, even Arioch, Lord of Chaos and Duke of Hell, feared the demon-blade.

erikun
2010-02-24, 10:35 PM
I'm not familiar with Elric, but everything I've heard would place him as a Swordmage/Wizard with Arcane rituals. I suppose that Warlock/Swordmage would also work, either with a feat or magical weapon to use his Warlock powers through the sword. Hybrid classing may be even more appropriate.

The Wizard paragon paths from PHB sound like they would fit, too.

The weapon is a bit tricker to stat. In 3e, I'd consider it an intelligent Life-Drinker weapon. I suppose a Pactblade weapon would be thematically appropriate, especially if the DM/player is willing to RP it as an intelligent weapon. (There are no specific rules for intelligent magical items in 4e, that I know of.) I don't know if that would be appropriate, though, as I'm not familiar with what the sword itself does.

slyfox99
2010-02-24, 11:31 PM
The sword would definitely be an artifact, which, in 4e, are quite sentient and not shy about telling the wielder their desires. As for Elric, I am not sure swordmage is an appropriate multiclass, as the sword's magic is mostly the result of the sword's demonic powers and very little to do with Elric, although Elric is a master swordsman even with normal weapons, which is why I am thinking fighter instead of swordmage. In the books, the sword does nothing which resembles Booming Blade or other swordmage powers, instead it cuts through bone, flesh, and armour as if it was cheese, absorbs the souls of those it has slain, and feeds the energy to Elric, who is an anemic albino and needs it. It usually takes one hit to kill most foes, so I am thinking it may be some manner of Vorpal blade in the game, with a ridiculous +10 or something to hit and damage, and would grant regeneration to the wielder. Additionally, I might have it so that anyone slain by the blade cannot be resurrected in any way, save as some sort of soulless undead, as the sword has claimed the soul already.

Also, if you have not read the Elric stories, and you are a fan of heroic fantasy, you ought to read them. They are a treat.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-02-25, 09:04 AM
...although Elric is a master swordsman even with normal weapons, which is why I am thinking fighter instead of swordmage.

Is Elric really a master swordsman? It's been a really long time since I read the books, but I recall him being too weak to lift a sword without either the herbs he uses initially, or without Stormbringer feeding him energy later on. It seemed to me while reading that his sword skill was irrelevant--Stormbringer was strong enough to do everything necessary.

I like your choice of warlock. If you have access to Arcane Power, I'd consider the Vestige Pact. I think it fits well thematically with how Elric is able to call on favors from many different entities.

Tiki Snakes
2010-02-25, 09:59 AM
Is Elric really a master swordsman? It's been a really long time since I read the books, but I recall him being too weak to lift a sword without either the herbs he uses initially, or without Stormbringer feeding him energy later on. It seemed to me while reading that his sword skill was irrelevant--Stormbringer was strong enough to do everything necessary.

I like your choice of warlock. If you have access to Arcane Power, I'd consider the Vestige Pact. I think it fits well thematically with how Elric is able to call on favors from many different entities.

Simply adding the Arcane Impliment proficiency for Heavy Blades and taking an appropriately horrible seeming magical blade of some sort would go a good way towards representing this.

Personally, I'd favour a Swordmage/Wizard Hybrid of some sort, (as they'd start with the appropriate proficiencies). Or even just a non-strength-secondary Swordmage with the ritual caster feat?
Anything overly flashy can be easily reflavoured, if necessary. Similarly, work this out with the DM (if using as a player) and make it so that his sword is the source of his power.

There are a couple of nice sword enchantments in the AV's, especially 2, I think. Worth looking at before we resort to Artifacts. :)

slyfox99
2010-02-25, 10:00 AM
In the new edition, Song of the Black Sword, he is described as being a master swordsman, easily the equal of Yrkoon, as long as he has his herbs to maintain his strength. As the hereditary emperor-to-be of Melnibone, he has been trained since childhood in both sorcery and martial prowess.

And thanks for telling me about the Vestige Pact. Now I hAVE to buy Arcane power, lol... One more book to buy.

slyfox99
2010-02-25, 10:03 AM
Simply adding the Arcane Impliment proficiency for Heavy Blades and taking an appropriately horrible seeming magical blade of some sort would go a good way towards representing this.

Personally, I'd favour a Swordmage/Wizard Hybrid of some sort, (as they'd start with the appropriate proficiencies). Or even just a non-strength-secondary Swordmage with the ritual caster feat?
Anything overly flashy can be easily reflavoured, if necessary. Similarly, work this out with the DM (if using as a player) and make it so that his sword is the source of his power.

There are a couple of nice sword enchantments in the AV's, especially 2, I think. Worth looking at before we resort to Artifacts. :)

The sword is tens of thousands of years old, is clearly described as a demon in the form of a blade, and has its own sentience and agenda, and the Duke of Hell fears it. I do think that would be an artifact. Stormbringer makes the Sword fo Kas look like a butterknife. How is it NOT an artifact?

slyfox99
2010-02-25, 10:07 AM
oh and as Elric's magic tends to be him asking various demons and elementals for aid, I do think Warlock would be more applicible than wizard or sorceror. To aid him in this, he uses yet a second magic item of immense power, the Ring of Kings, which identifies him to these beings as the herediatary Emperor of Melnibone and thus the heir to bargains which must be honored.

Any ideas for the Ring of Kings?

Tiki Snakes
2010-02-25, 10:09 AM
The sword is tens of thousands of years old, is clearly described as a demon in the form of a blade, and has its own sentience and agenda, and the Duke of Hell fears it. I do think that would be an artifact. Stormbringer makes the Sword fo Kas look like a butterknife. How is it NOT an artifact?

Well, as an NPC, sure. Artifact out the wazzoo. And if the DM and other players are happy with adding a permenant and plot significant artifact into the mix (where most will hang around for about 5 levels then sod off one way or the other) then Artifact for the PC also.

BUT in the case of modelling Elric as a PC, without trying to assume too much DM leeway, there are a couple of existing weapons that could be used to model it quite nicely. If you are merely building Elric to use in an actual game as your PC, it doesn't have to be an Artifact for you to pull the concept off.

That's kinda what I mean, rather than that Stormbringer wouldn't, essentially, be a high level (probably Epic Tier) Artifact.

[edit] As for the Ring of Kings, I'd say if you're going to be swordfighting at all you pretty much need swordmage, in which case multiclass or hybrid warlock is tricky. I'd favour reflavouring Wizard; His spellcasting is done through bargains with such beings and powers, and he can only do it when he is in posession of The Ring of Kings. The ring wouldn't, mechancially, be magical, (allowing the character to exists at level1!) but would instead be the fluff source of his wizardly powers.

This does leave him rather vulnerable if the DM likes to take your stuff off you now and again, but that's pretty approriate I guess.

slyfox99
2010-02-25, 10:39 AM
Well I am the DM so in my actual game, Elric would be an NPC. The making him as a PC part was basically an intellectual exercise. I still don't like swordmage, though, because in the novels, he exhibits no powers which resemble those of the swordmage.

Anyway, here is what i cqme up with for my actual game, to be this segment's BBEG. I made him a tiefling, mainly because that suited the story best; his ultimate goal is to resurrect the glories of Bael Turoth. His name is Molok Called Sorrow and he is an 8th-level wizard with the following multiclass Feats: Student of the Sword, Weapon Proficiency Greatsword, and Melee Training, so he can use his 20 Int as the Ability for melee. He carries a +3 Vorpal greatsword. He is accompanied by his twin sister, Carrion, a 6th level Dragon Sorceror with the same fighter multiclass feats, who carries a +1 Flaming Greatsword.

The PCs, all sixth level, are a human rogue, a half-elf cleric/figther multiclass, an eladrin wizard and a dwarf fighter, have run into them once and immediately handed Molok the staff they had just taken from the skull lord they had just killed. I am planning to make them very sorry they did that, incidentally... (Of course they would be even sorrier had they not...)