PDA

View Full Version : Psionic dragon equivelents?

flabort
2010-02-24, 10:15 PM
Dragons are interesting. more powerful ones gain sorcerer levels, and cast arcane magic. even smaller ones can use spell-like abilities.

But, there is psionics, which claims to be the opposite of arcane magic. vancian vs. point base, ect.

So I was wondering if there is anything similar to a dragon that uses psionic powers and levels instead?

Scoot
2010-02-24, 10:16 PM
I believe the Gemstone dragons from MM2 have some Psionic power.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-24, 10:17 PM
I'll probably be ninja'd, but the gem dragons from the MM II are psionic in nature. They'll probably need to be updated to 3.5, but it shouldn't be that difficult. Just give them psion manifesting in place of sorcerer casting, and you should be fine.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-24, 10:21 PM
Can also try out a homebrew of mine: Dragon Uncarnate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91243)

Mando Knight
2010-02-24, 10:22 PM
Alternatively, just take any normal Dragon and replace its effective Sorcerer level with effective Wilder level. Or another manifester class if you despise Wilder manifesting for some reason. Then, just turn its Spell-likes into Psi-likes, and if you really want to get busy, replace the SLA spells with the Psionic power ability closest to the spell rather than just declaring it a Psi-like ability.

Debihuman
2010-02-24, 11:24 PM
Updates for the Monster Manual 2 are available on the WotC's site: see PLAY MORE FREE D&DŽ V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE Monster Manual II. I don't have a link but it is a free pdf. The gem dragons are in there.

Debby

slyfox99
2010-02-24, 11:38 PM
And what about 4e? Has anyone heard anything about psionic dragons in that game, or do I wait for the Dark Sun 4e setting to come out in April or June?

Mando Knight
2010-02-24, 11:44 PM
And what about 4e? Has anyone heard anything about psionic dragons in that game, or do I wait for the Dark Sun 4e setting to come out in April or June?

Other than Purple and Mithral Dragons? Not really, but then again, very little about monsters in 4e is power source dependent.

Edge of Dreams
2010-02-25, 01:48 AM
Other than Purple and Mithral Dragons? Not really, but then again, very little about monsters in 4e is power source dependent.

To be specific, Purple dragons in 4e Draconomicon 1 (Chromatic Dragons) are psionic and live in the underdark, and Mithril dragons, which are also psionic, can be found in Draconomicon 2 (Metallic Dragons).

flabort
2010-02-25, 10:07 AM
Hmm... Gem dragons, mithral and purple dragons....
I didn't think there would actually be that many, and I was afraid that the psionic equivilent wouldn't actually be a dragon!
Thanks.

Volthawk
2010-02-25, 12:10 PM
Updates for the Monster Manual 2 are available on the WotC's site: see PLAY MORE FREE D&DŽ V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE Monster Manual II. I don't have a link but it is a free pdf. The gem dragons are in there.

Debby

Also available at the bottom of any pdf from crystal keep.

arguskos
2010-02-25, 12:32 PM
Hmm... Gem dragons, mithral and purple dragons....
I didn't think there would actually be that many, and I was afraid that the psionic equivilent wouldn't actually be a dragon!
Thanks.
Note that in D&D 3.5, Mithral and Purple Dragons either don't exist (Mithral) or are not psionic in nature (Purple). Just sayin'. :smallwink:

SaintRidley
2010-02-25, 12:46 PM
I was afraid that the psionic equivilent wouldn't actually be a dragon!
Thanks.

Everything has an actual dragon to go with it.

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 01:54 PM
Everything has an actual dragon to go with it.

Almost - there are no dragons in Tome of Magic.

I find this odd since they took the time to make dragons for their other alternate systems (Incarnum and Psionics.)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-25, 02:18 PM
Almost - there are no dragons in Tome of Magic.

I find this odd since they took the time to make dragons for their other alternate systems (Incarnum and Psionics.)

Incarnum Dragons are just tanks with extra armor. They have little to no actual threatening abilities outside of claws. Giving them the Xorvintaal template is heavily recommended, as they are worthless compared to equal-CR'ed Dragons.

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 03:45 PM
Incarnum Dragons are just tanks with extra armor. They have little to no actual threatening abilities outside of claws. Giving them the Xorvintaal template is heavily recommended, as they are worthless compared to equal-CR'ed Dragons.

Perhaps - you're much more qualified on Incarnum than I am.

The point is that they exist... and Binder Dragons, Truenaming Dragons, and Shadowcasting Dragons don't.

(Though there are dragon-themed vestiges.)

Volkov
2010-02-25, 04:54 PM
Brainstealer dragons. What you get when you cross a mind flayer and a true dragon, and yes, it's too awesome to be silly.

absolmorph
2010-02-25, 05:18 PM
Perhaps - you're much more qualified on Incarnum than I am.

The point is that they exist... and Binder Dragons, Truenaming Dragons, and Shadowcasting Dragons don't.

(Though there are dragon-themed vestiges.)
Truenaming dragons?
Wouldn't they be useless, anyways?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-25, 07:17 PM
Truenaming dragons?

More hit dice=More ranks.

flabort
2010-02-25, 09:11 PM
that's quite a few magic variants that DON'T have dragons. Hmm...
Is there a Tome of Battle dragon? [/immaturity]

Mongoose87
2010-02-25, 09:27 PM
Truenaming dragons?

Certainly, if two of them got into a fight.

hamishspence
2010-02-26, 07:27 AM

no- but a few people have hoembrewed their own on this site.

Runestar
2010-02-26, 07:42 AM

Closest thing I can think of is the Wyrm of war variant from dragons of eberron, which gives it armour/shield proficiency, as well as the choice of either a bonus feat or tiger claw maneuver/stance for every 4HD it has.

Quite flavourful, but has been edged out of just about every dialogue by its more broken cousin, the loredrake. :smallannoyed:

Beowulf DW
2010-02-26, 10:11 AM
Closest thing I can think of is the Wyrm of war variant from dragons of eberron, which gives it armour/shield proficiency, as well as the choice of either a bonus feat or tiger claw maneuver/stance for every 4HD it has.

Quite flavourful, but has been edged out of just about every dialogue by its more broken cousin, the loredrake. :smallannoyed:

Must...resist...urge...to make...Enter the Dragon...joke...

Must...resist...urge...to self-narate...like this...

Sydonai
2010-03-26, 05:29 AM
Shadow Dragon=Shadowcaster
Batle Dragon=T.O.B.

And I second the Brainstealer.

AslanCross
2010-03-26, 06:01 AM

If you look at WOTC's art gallery, there seem to have been monsters that were cut out of the book that were manifestations of the disciplines. As such, there was a "Stone Dragon" monster.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/tob_gallery/99717.jpg

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-03-26, 06:07 AM
I was in the process of creating a Hematite Dragon (member of the Ferrous Dragon race, from DR#356) that has a force effect (cone of magnetic energy) breath weapon and psion manifesting.

Truenamer Dragon: More HD, more ranks, more INT, more $$ to spend stuff on, because even if Truenaming sucks, he is still a Dragon.

Brainstealer Dragon: I must find this. My google-fu is weak.

boomwolf
2010-03-26, 06:10 AM
There is even a vampire dragon out there. a bit different from a normal vampire, and for just a +2 to CR it is very, very powerful.

Volkov
2010-03-26, 06:32 AM
I was in the process of creating a Hematite Dragon (member of the Ferrous Dragon race, from DR#356) that has a force effect (cone of magnetic energy) breath weapon and psion manifesting.

Truenamer Dragon: More HD, more ranks, more INT, more $$ to spend stuff on, because even if Truenaming sucks, he is still a Dragon.

Brainstealer Dragon: I must find this. My google-fu is weak.

Behold the brainstealer dragon!
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff337/Hexmage/brainstealerdragon-1.jpg

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-03-26, 06:45 AM
Rule 34-D: If it exists, there is a dragon of it. :smallamused:

Edit: Yes, I am aware of the quadruple-entedre in this post. :smallwink:

Edit 2: Awesome picture btw of that creature. I was wondering if that could be statted out.. or if premade stats existed...