PDA

View Full Version : Fire Resistance / Immunity

drengnikrafe
2010-02-25, 01:45 AM
I recently realized I really badly want to make a character that regularly uses fireball as a combat spell. Like, centered on himself. In any case, I need a list of cost effective items, or feats, that grant resistance or immunity fire, in such a way that I could do this for every 3rd level and higher spell slot in a day, and take minimal damage.

Grumman
2010-02-25, 02:00 AM
Fire Resistance 30 costs 66,000 if you put it on armour. I had an Arcane Trickster character once that used that and Evasion to sneak attack people with Meteor Swarms from 30 feet away.

awa
2010-02-25, 02:05 AM
unless theirs a step your not mentioning i don't think you can sneak attack with meteor swarm

Grumman
2010-02-25, 02:12 AM
unless theirs a step your not mentioning i don't think you can sneak attack with meteor swarm
It uses a ranged touch attack, therefore you can sneak attack with it.

Runestar
2010-02-25, 02:14 AM

It works, but it is overrated. The SA damage applies only to the initial ranged touch attack, but not the subsequent bursts.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-25, 02:47 AM
It works, but it is overrated. The SA damage applies only to the initial ranged touch attack, but not the subsequent bursts.

It can apply to up to all 4 of the touch attacks, and if you're hit with the attack you don't get a save against the fire damage, so it's not as bad as it first appears.

Runestar
2010-02-25, 03:19 AM
It can apply to up to all 4 of the touch attacks, and if you're hit with the attack you don't get a save against the fire damage, so it's not as bad as it first appears.

really? I thought there was some rule in complete arcane about volley attacks not being able to benefit from sneak attack more than once, even if it allows for multiple attacks?

For example, you won't get SA on all 3 rays even if you meet all the requirements, only one.

Sliver
2010-02-25, 04:18 AM
really? I thought there was some rule in complete arcane about volley attacks not being able to benefit from sneak attack more than once, even if it allows for multiple attacks?

For example, you won't get SA on all 3 rays even if you meet all the requirements, only one.

Indeed, it is called out under "Multiple Hits" at page 86.

Runestar
2010-02-25, 05:07 AM
So is this limitation applicable to meteor swarm? Say an arcane trickster lobs 4 meteors at 4 flat-footed enemies (or all at the same one), does he get SA on all 4, or only 1? Its wording seems a tad imprecise.

Ashiel
2010-02-25, 05:18 AM
I recently realized I really badly want to make a character that regularly uses fireball as a combat spell. Like, centered on himself. In any case, I need a list of cost effective items, or feats, that grant resistance or immunity fire, in such a way that I could do this for every 3rd level and higher spell slot in a day, and take minimal damage.

May I suggest playing a Psion and picking up Energy Burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyBurst.htm)? It is a 40ft radius burst centered on you, and doesn't hurt you either. If you want to make something of an elementalist boom-caster, you can also pick up Energy Missile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm), Energy Wall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyWall.htm), Energy Wave (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyWave.htm), and so forth. You won't be completely hosed by an opponent who is immune to your favorite element as you may alter them based on the situation.

Additionally, you could pick up Energy Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyAdaptation.htm) or the very cool Energy Conversion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyConversion.htm). If you want to have some laughs, you can get a psicrystal, and share energy conversion with it when you manifest it. Manifest Solicit Psicrystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/solicitPsicrystal.htm) so your psicrystal can hold the concentration for powers. Manifest your energy wall around you, with the waves focused inward. You'll absorb the damage store it as energy to shoot energy rays from; and anyone who tries to come through the wall to get you will get hurt. From there, you can explode with energy with your various energy powers; throwing fireballs, cones, targeted missiles, rays, and so forth; or using your energy burst to literally explode with energy against everything within 40ft of you.

It's not really optimal, but it can be lots of fun being a blaster. :smallsmile:

Cyclocone
2010-02-25, 05:26 AM
What level are you starting at? Fire Immunity is a 6th level spell in the SpC (24 hour duration).

Person_Man
2010-02-25, 10:34 AM
For reference, people might want to read through the "All About Sneak Attack (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040217a)" articles on the WotC website (there are four of them, the link is to the first). They explain that Sneak Attack does apply to Touch Attacks, but when you make multiple attacks as part of a single action (such as Manyshot or Scorching Ray) it only applies to the first attack, unless it's a Full Attack Action or Greater Manyshot (which specifically allows Sneak Attack to apply on everything). It's also covered in Complete Arcane and the Rules Compendium.

Anywho, any high level caster or Dragonfire Adept can grant Energy Immunity via spells or Invocations.

There are a couple different ways to gain the Fire subtype, and thus gain Energy Immunity. I know Sandstorm has at least one or two such methods. There's also several Elemental oriented PrC spread throughout the splat books.

You can also just buy a Spellguard Rings. It allows you to ignore the spells cast by an ally, which allows you to lob Fireballs or anything else into the middle combat without worrying about friendly fire. Presumably, you could wear both rings and ignore the spells you cast on yourself. It would make buffing problematic (as you'd have to take off one of the rings every time you wanted to cast on yourself) but it negates the need to worry about any area of effect attack, regardless of the damage type. (This is particularly fun with Blade Barrier, btw). 4,000 gp, Complete Mage pg 127.

ericgrau
2010-02-25, 10:37 AM
If you're a caster it's simplest to target yourself with a protection from energy, resist energy, or both (the resist would then have no effect until the protection ran out). A lesser metamagic rod of extend spell is a good cheap way to keep these spells going longer. There's also the elemental savant PrC to become a fire elemental.

Greenish
2010-02-25, 10:42 AM
I recently realized I really badly want to make a character that regularly uses fireball as a combat spell.First I was like WTF? :smallconfused:
Like, centered on himself.But then I lolled. :smallbiggrin:

Fireball is indeed the best utility spell in the book.

Revanmal
2010-02-25, 11:12 AM
...Are you Nuclear Dan?

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-25, 12:59 PM
The problem with this idea is that there's a ton of creatures with varying levels of fire resistance or immunity, moreso than any other energy type. The Searing Spell metamagic feat (from Sandstorm) can get around this disadvantage, but it would also bypass any resistance or immunity you acquired for yourself.

In other words, you're going to need a backup plan.

Greenish
2010-02-25, 01:04 PM
In other words, you're going to need a backup plan.You mean more fire?

Seriously, if you're doing it right, you can beat a BBEG who grows more powerful by absorbing fire with just using enough fire spells. :smallwink:

Eloel
2010-02-25, 01:07 PM
You mean more fire?

Seriously, if you're doing it right, you can beat a BBEG who grows more powerful by absorbing fire with just using enough fire spells. :smallwink:

And Control Flames ;)

SaintRidley
2010-02-25, 01:09 PM
The problem with this idea is that there's a ton of creatures with varying levels of fire resistance or immunity, moreso than any other energy type. The Searing Spell metamagic feat (from Sandstorm) can get around this disadvantage, but it would also bypass any resistance or immunity you acquired for yourself.

In other words, you're going to need a backup plan.

The Infernal Pyromancer? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143333)

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-25, 01:19 PM
You mean more fire?

More fire isn't going to help when the enemy is immune to fire.

Eldariel
2010-02-25, 01:22 PM
More fire isn't going to help when the enemy is immune to fire.

Umm, yes it is. Searing Spell much? That's the definition of "More fire"

Fcannon
2010-02-25, 01:38 PM
You could be a Fire Gnome, from the Planar Handbook. They're immune to fire, +1 LA but they get +2 CL when casting fire spells so it's kinda a net gain for your character. Plus they look pretty cool :smallbiggrin:

Dragonmuncher
2010-02-25, 02:13 PM
...Are you Nuclear Dan?

Hah, I just started reading that comic last night.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 02:28 PM
Here (http://dndorks.com/comics/1_14_2005.aspx) and here (http://dndorks.com/comics/1_19_2005.aspx) are proof that resistance items are for wimps :smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-25, 02:30 PM
Anywho, any high level caster or Dragonfire Adept can grant Energy Immunity via spells or Invocations.

Clarification: The Endure Elements Invocation in Dragon Magic is capable of making anyone under it's effects immune to the effects of any breath weapons that Dragonfire Adept has, but not other energy effects.

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-25, 03:01 PM
Umm, yes it is. Searing Spell much? That's the definition of "More fire"

:smallsigh::smallsigh::smallsigh:

Did I not already mention the problem with Searing Spell? The fact that it will also go through your OWN immunity/resistance, thus negating the usefulness when centering a fireball on your self. This is why I said you need a backup plan for fire immunes (because I assumed the OP wants to follow through with their idea of using fireball on themselves, in which case Searing Spell is a bad idea).

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-25, 03:06 PM

Did I not already mention the problem with Searing Spell? The fact that it will also go through your OWN immunity/resistance, thus negating the usefulness when centering a fireball on your self. This is why I said you need a backup plan for fire immunes (because I assumed the OP wants to follow through with their idea of using fireball on themselves, in which case Searing Spell is a bad idea).

This is where Shield Other and similar effects come into play.

Eldariel
2010-02-25, 03:15 PM

It's totally a solution to Fire Immunity and Resistance though!

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-25, 03:16 PM
It's totally a solution to Fire Immunity and Resistance though!

Yes, but not when you're centering the Fireball on yourself.

Eldariel
2010-02-25, 03:17 PM
Yes, but not when you're centering the Fireball on yourself.

The question though was whether more Fire solves Fire Immunity. To which answer is yes. Of course, it has the annoying side-effect of damaging yourself too, but hey, since when has that been a problem?

Zom B
2010-02-25, 03:23 PM
Friend of mine created a sword that built up a charge over the course of 10 rounds, at which point it released a 10d6 fireball centered on itself. I think it made the wielder immune to fire.

Gan The Grey
2010-02-25, 05:19 PM
Why not just take that feat that allows you to exclude one 5 foot square from an area effect spell on a successful spellcraft check? Can't remember what it is called. If you do that then Fire Immunity is a non-issue. And I'm surprised none of you boardies have mentioned it yet.

Makes me think I'm missing something.

Ashiel
2010-02-25, 05:24 PM
Why not just take that feat that allows you to exclude one 5 foot square from an area effect spell on a successful spellcraft check? Can't remember what it is called. If you do that then Fire Immunity is a non-issue. And I'm surprised none of you boardies have mentioned it yet.

Well I mentioned the psionic power Energy Burst. It's pretty much a big energy explosion centered on you (it doesn't hurt you though). It's pretty much the same thing. However, good call Gan The Grey. That's another good method of getting the same flavor without jumping through immunity hoops. :smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 05:25 PM

There's a Feat for that? Though you make a good point, a level of Archmage taking Mastery of Shaping would work.

Gan The Grey
2010-02-25, 05:28 PM
Its either complete mage or complete arcane. I had it on my sorcerer, though obviously it wasn't important enough for me to remember the name.

Toliudar
2010-02-25, 05:30 PM
If homebrew is permitted, you may also want to check out the Frank and K Fire Mage, which does pretty much exactly what you want, all day long. I don't have a link handy, but a google search should pull it up.

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-25, 06:06 PM
Found the feat: Extraordinary Spell Aim (Complete Adventurer)

It requires 15 ranks of Spellcraft and changes the casting time to a full-round action, but it's not metamagic so it doesn't affect the spell slot.

As long as you don't have any need for move actions, this will solve our problem and allow us to safely bring Searing Spell back into the mix.