PDA

View Full Version : What spells do you recommend? [3.5]

Barmacral
2010-02-25, 11:51 AM
So, I'm playing an ultimate Magus, made up of a wizard / beguiler, and I'm trying to re-work my spell lists a bit. As I'm getting bigger and tougher, I'm coming to really understand why pure damage spells aren't as good as they seem. As such, I'm looking to have 2-3 rotating daily spell lists that I can pick from on any given day.

Currently I can get up to 6th level Wizard Spells, and the beguiler part of my class is capped at 4th level beguiler spells. With that in mind, what spells would you recommend I take at any given level. The only spell that I am really attached to right now is Phantom Steed, a 3rd level spell, since riding a horse makes for a faster adventuring party.

The party I'm with has a little bit of everything in it, and is optimised out the wazoo, so we're a fairly high powered group that has the capability to deal with every situation thrown at us, including traps.

Quirp
2010-02-25, 04:29 PM
I canīt give you any advise for your beguiler but for your wizard spells:
1. logic ninjas guide to being batman (sorry donīt have the link) might be a good place to look

2.(out of the PHB) Level1:Protection from X, True Strike, Grease, Mage Armor
Level2: Glitterdust, Rope Trick, Web, Mirror Image
Level3: Phantom Steed (it is really nice), Haste, Dispel Magic, Stinking Cloud
Level4: Greater Invisibility, Enervation, Dimension Door, Black Tentacles
Level5: Wall of Stone, Wall of Force, Mirage Arcana, Teleport
Level6: Disintegrate, Acid Fog, Contingency

and for more cheese: Polymorph(level 4), Planar Binding (level 6), Alter Self (level 2)

hope that helps

AslanCross
2010-02-25, 04:53 PM
^--- A good start.

I wouldn't remove ALL blasty spells, but I do advocate choosing damage-dealing spells wisely:

2: Scorching Ray. This scales up really well. I'd swap out Web for this---Web is pretty good, but it requires an existing supporting structure to cast properly. Grease and Glitterdust are better control spells.
3: Fireball is a classic, and metamagic can help you customize it in many ways. If your party is as optimized as you say it is, you probably won't need it, but I like having a long-range bazooka spell.
4: Orbs. I'm partial to Orb of Electricity, but Cold's pretty good too. Shadow Conjuration can replicate Grease or Glitterdust.
5: Earth Reaver: Damage has no save; Reflex save or fall prone. Shadow Evocation is a decent catch-all for the lower-level damage spells.

ericgrau
2010-02-25, 04:56 PM
www.google.com:
"site:www.giantitp.com spell selection"

Nich_Critic
2010-02-25, 05:04 PM
Silent image is a good choice for a first level. If you're using BC at all, a silent image that looks like the spell you just cast can often be as effective as casting it again, for the cost of a 1st level slot.

Eg, you put up a acid fog, everyone takes damage and slowly moves out of it. Next time you need to obscure/control, use silent image that looks like acid fog, and you pretty much force the enemy to go around it or risk that is actually was an acid fog. Of course, it can't actually trap or damage, and it's ineffective against enemies with true sight, but otherwise it's gold.

Plus you can use it to emulate anything you can think of. You can provide total cover for your party by putting up a silent image wall, as long as the enemy believes you can make real walls.