PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lightning Mace thrower

AlsoD
2010-02-25, 12:32 PM
The idea for this build is to eventually have a character who throws many light maces a round with an improved crit range to maximise Lightning Mace.

Obvious feats needed are:

Evasive Reflexes (Sub for Combat Reflexes) (ToB)
Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapon Focus (light mace)
Throw Anything (CW)

Useful feats are:

Point Blank Shot
Rapid Shot
Precise Shot

The game is starting from level 1, with the allowed books being Core (Inc. PHB2), Completes and ToB (No Psionics). As I'd ideally like it to be throwing from the start and is feat heavy, I was thinking a human fighter would work.
Maybe a Warblade dip for Bloodstorm?

Suggestions?

herrhauptmann
2010-02-25, 12:45 PM
And here I thought you were going to use the build with Lightning Mace/Aptitude weapons to get infinite attacks with thrown weapons.

Would recommend just using that build, altered for thrown weapons. Keep bloodstorm blade on there so that your thrown weapons return to you in time for the next attack.
edit:
This link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132804&highlight=lightning+mace+infinite+attacks)

FishAreWet
2010-02-25, 12:47 PM
Master Thrower 5.

Will even net you Imp Critical.

Draz74
2010-02-25, 12:49 PM
I'd say start as Warblade, but take a 2-level dip in Fighter for the extra feats before you get to Warblade 4. (That lets you take a better stance at Level 4.) This build needs a lot of feats, but not a LOT of feats. I think you should be fine with just two levels of Fighter.

Are Flaws allowed? That can get you two extra feats ... and if this is a dedicated throwing build, then Noncombatant could actually be pretty flavorful.

Shyftir
2010-02-25, 01:01 PM
Human Rng 2/Fight 2 WrB X/ Bloodstorm blade X

Rng will get you either your point blank or your two weapon fighting and far more skill points early on, by level 4 you have the same number of feats as alevel 4 fighter and are in general a more interesting character.

Of course this means you have to stick to light armor. But seeing as a two weapon fighter type and a ranged type you are going to want a high dex score anyway. Plus consider weapon finesse for those light maces.

Also yes, master thrower = pwnage.

AlsoD
2010-02-25, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. No flaws unfortunately, the DM is rather on his guard as I think it's his first time DMing. For that same reason, Aptitude shenanigans are out.

The build so far is this:
Ranger 1; Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
Ranger 2; TWF(b)
Fighter 1; Evasive Reflexes, Precise Shot(b)
Fighter 2; Weapon Focus (Longbow)(b)
Warblade 1;
Bloodstorm Blade 1; Lightning Mace, Throw Anything(b)
Master Thrower 1-5;

Bloodstorm needs 8 ranks in Balance, which is achievable by dumping all my skills in the Warblade level into it.

I'll probably end up using a longbow for the first few levels unless anybody here can suggest a better course of action? Any manoeuvre recommendations that'll work with ranged weapons (without thunderous throw)?

Critical
2010-02-25, 02:09 PM
Aptitude Scimitars/Rapiers/Kukris to use with Lightning Mace?:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh, and you'd want a Far Shot feat somewhere in there.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-25, 03:21 PM
Aptitude Scimitars/Rapiers/Kukris to use with Lightning Mace?:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh, and you'd want a Far Shot feat somewhere in there.

No, no, no. Kaotri Resin Kurki's, now those are the way to go.

Critical
2010-02-25, 03:51 PM
No, no, no. Kaotri Resin Kurki's, now those are the way to go.
Sure thing, but I bet the DM won't allow it as it's too cheesy :smalltongue: