PDA

View Full Version : Uses for XP after level 20?

Tyger
2010-02-25, 02:03 PM
Other than the obvious crafting uses, what uses would PCs have for XP after level 20? Assuming that Epic levels may or may not be allowed that is.

Spell stitching for the undead.
LA Buyoff for everyone.

Anything else?

My group has asked me to run a one shot, weekend long game, set at level 20. I was thinking of giving them a set amount of XP, rather than just saying level 20, but if anyone doesn't take a caster (yes, yes, I know) I wanted them to have some use for the XP.

On that note, never having played anything above level 14ish, are there any non-casters that can be viable and useful at 20th? The group thus far is a 20 Dread Necromancer (he just wants to play a lich) and a Wiz 10 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Thurge 8, and a Druid 20... so you get the basic idea.

Sanguine
2010-02-25, 02:09 PM
Well there's The Demented One's epic Martial Discipline but that requires epic levels without a little bit of tweaking. Also as for a non-caster that holds it's own at level 20 I'd say one of the Martial Adepts would be your best bet.

Mastikator
2010-02-25, 02:13 PM
Let them buy skill points and feats for exp. Maybe also templates.

randomhero00
2010-02-25, 02:54 PM
Wish, no?

10characters

Just_Ice
2010-02-25, 03:34 PM
Build a neat little house out of that XP.

You could let them build clones, or rise to godhood.

taltamir
2010-02-25, 04:07 PM
1. +5 inherant bonus to every stat.
2. convert to gold, to get ridiculously expensive and powerful gear. (easiest way is to wish for a block of gold worth 25,000gp; it is a "safe wish" and will create it out of thin air with no ill effects).
3. expand your demiplane (genesis)
3a. this is not going to cost XP, but transport animals and plants to your demiplane.
4. populate your demiplane with a brand new sentient lifeform of your design. with epic spells or custom spells you can officially and freely create them from nothing with any stat you desire.
But pre-epic there are still things you can do. Such as awakening a bunch of creatures of the same type. Or PaO transform a plant or animal into humanoid shape followed by awaken... (at about 2000 worshipers you become a god). Awaken costs XP.
5. craft your own ridiculously powerful gear (more control over properties of gear, requires crafting feats but has a reduced cost compared to buying).
6. create powerful minions (raise undead, maximized empowered awakens, golem crafting, etc.)

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 04:14 PM
Use some kind of magic item to represent your XP in a visual medium, then display it to NPCs and mock them.

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 04:28 PM
Casters should pursue immortality (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0) - they aren't getting any younger.

Noncasters can't do much besides craft (and not even much of that.) Yet another reason they suck.

ub3r73k
2010-02-25, 04:33 PM
If you have leadership you could apply the Exp to your cohort.

Aquire a Cohort and then apply it.

Apply it to your Familiar/Mount/Companion

Create a Golem or sheild guardian.

Have your DM/GM use it as a level of influence over the land (kind of a fame score).

Volkov
2010-02-25, 04:51 PM
Casters should pursue immortality (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0) - they aren't getting any younger.

Noncasters can't do much besides craft (and not even much of that.) Yet another reason they suck.

The Lich's flesh may rot away, but as long as his phylactery is fine age is no problem for him. However, if he spends too much time ****ing around with astral projection and neglecting his body, all of it but his head will be destroyed but he gets much more power (and much more LA) out of it.

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 05:24 PM
The Lich's flesh may rot away, but as long as his phylactery is fine age is no problem for him. However, if he spends too much time ****ing around with astral projection and neglecting his body, all of it but his head will be destroyed but he gets much more power (and much more LA) out of it.

Did you follow the link I posted? There's many ways to become immortal besides lichdom, even in core.