PDA

View Full Version : Options for my character (3.5)

Just_Ice
2010-02-25, 03:22 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, let me tell you a story.

I have a tight group of friends which I started D&D with, playing 4E for the past two summers. This year, at university, I started playing 3.5 with some other friends and felt the lack of structure made for a quicker, better game. That's just me, but ehn.

Excited, I convinced the folks back home to start playing 3.5, and they agreed. No problems there. Both myself and my friend who had been the DMs before were growing tired of DMing for everyone and wanted to play for once, and when our other buddy told us he was excited about the story he wanted to tell, we kind of got evil grins.

Basically, he doesn't understand 3.5 very well. Knowing this, I set out to make a preposterous character because I thought he'd rubber stamp it since I roll under 10 two thirds of the time anyways. So, I set out to make a character in a loose model of GaoGaiGar. Essentially, I wanted detaching oversized spike gauntlets, double plate and as well as a double-oversized silver hammer in one hand with a regular tiny-stake in the other.

Needless to say I bent the rules more than a little. He's fun, he can barely move (without the psion casting skate), and a cannonball bounced off my armour. It's pretty awesome, and 18 str + two-weapon proficiency means I'm attacking at my BAB. I had to use the level 4 stat boost to get 13 dex, though.

Now, here's where I run into problems. I rolled stats, and although I (while cheating) got that build to go, I basically can't use any class features (paladin is crazy MAD, of course).

So yeah, here's the basic stats:

Maxwell, Human Paladin 5

Str 18
Dex 13
Con 10
Int: 9
Wis 9
Cha 7

Feats:
Monkey Grip
Two-weapon Proficiency
Oversized Weapon Proficiency (I think this was from a SRD 20 book meant for 3.0)

This doesn't lend itself to many feats or prestige classes, and paladin has nothing to offer me. I would have gone fighter, but it doesn't fit the character (along with the psion, huge sticks up the butt). As far as I can tell, there's not really any strength-only paladin prestige classes.

We don't get together very often, but if we ever do happen to level, I'd like to know where I can go besides just continuing or picking up something weird but almost helpful like Knight or (snnrk) Dragon Shaman.

Also: Optimization is not really the goal here.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-25, 03:31 PM
Why bother with paladin? It seems like barbarian or warblade...or even fighter would be more helpful here.

Just_Ice
2010-02-25, 03:44 PM
It's for flavour; the psion and I are inquisitors for a particularily LAWFUL (good) church. I'm the muscle, and he gets people to talk. Ultimately it's because I started at level 5 and the DM isn't terribly reliable so I wasn't sure if we'd end up playing at all (and now that we have, I realise just what I've done).

Also, we've got a barb. Something like Knight or Knight Protector is prefered.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-25, 05:20 PM
Gauntlets of Throwing and Returning will simulate 'rocket punches' very well.

Apropos
2010-02-25, 10:46 PM
You should really just be a fighter and call yourself an enforcer of the church. Nothing wrong with that. You lose like half of your paladin abilities with a craptastic charisma score like that.

Voice of Reason
2010-02-26, 01:38 AM
If your character has any draconic links whatsoever, it may be worth piking up a Drakensteed (Dragon Magic) mount as your special mount. Its basically like your standard heavy warhorse, but with better natural armor, a trample attack, and wings (with a fly speed, of course).