PDA

View Full Version : Good concealable weapons [3.5]

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 05:28 PM
I'm building a Factotum to submit for a D&D game set in a real-world scenario. This means walking around with a greatsword on my back might be noticed/have the swat team on me.

What weapons would you suggest for someone who wants to be armed with more than a toothpick, but doesn't want to be noticed?

Level 11, full Factotum, 12/10/12/16 (+2 Levels)/10/14 stats. In case it matters.

Thanks,

K-B

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 05:34 PM
Gnome Quickrazor (3.5 version is RoS), and have your Factotum max out Iaijutsu Focus. For Massive Damage. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForMassiveDamage)

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 05:36 PM
Gnome Quickrazor (3.5 version is RoS), and have your Factotum max out Iaijutsu Focus. For Massive Damage. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForMassiveDamage)

I knew there was a Factotum trick I was forgetting. I likes.

Merk
2010-02-25, 05:37 PM
If you have the feats to spend, Improved Unarmed Strike + Superior Unarmed Strike gives you a good weapon that doesn't need to be concealed and can't be stolen, sundered, or disarmed.

A dagger gives you a +2 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal it.

A hand crossbow springs to mind as one of the only ranged weapons that's easily concealable.

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 05:39 PM
A dagger gives you a +2 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal it.

The Quickrazor gives you +4 to the same. It also gives you a +2 bonus to Bluff to feint. The icing on the cake: drawing it and sheathing it are both free actions.

It's tailor-made for a Factotum. The one caveat is that sheathing it treats you as unarmed on other attackers turns, but with IF you won't be fighting anybody for long anyway.

Zergrusheddie
2010-02-25, 06:04 PM

How do you obtain Flat Footed though?

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 06:18 PM

You don't have to - it also triggers after drawing a weapon, and drawing/sheathing a GQ is a free action like I said. So you can do it any number of times on/during your attack.

EDIT: I think I'm mistaken, and you need both Flat-footed and just having drawn your weapon to trigger it. But even so, Factotum has many ways to do just that. It's also a very obscure type of weapon - perfect for a brainy type to discover, just like Cadderly and his spindle-disks.

Dragero
2010-02-25, 06:21 PM
If you have the feats to spend, Improved Unarmed Strike + Superior Unarmed Strike gives you a good weapon that doesn't need to be concealed and can't be stolen, sundered, or disarmed.

Well, if you swing your sword hard enough........

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 06:23 PM
You don't have to - it also triggers after drawing a weapon, and drawing/sheathing a GQ is a free action like I said. So you can do it any number of times on/during your attack.

And even if you did need flat footed, Factotum gets SLAs - plenty of ways to make someone flatfooted there, like the lowly Grease.

If you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately after drawing a melee weapon, you can deal extra damage, based on the result of an Iaijutsu Focus check.

Grease you say. Is there anything more consistent (besides a UMD'd Wand of Grease obviously :smalltongue:)

Thurbane
2010-02-25, 06:35 PM
Ring of Arming (MiC)...let's you swap between 2 sets of armor/weapons as a standard action. Have cloth armor and a walking stick (or other innocuous item) for blending into the crowd, and your preferred melee set stored in the ring. :smallwink:

herrhauptmann
2010-02-25, 07:11 PM
I'm building a Factotum to submit for a D&D game set in a real-world scenario. This means walking around with a greatsword on my back might be noticed/have the swat team on me.

What weapons would you suggest for someone who wants to be armed with more than a toothpick, but doesn't want to be noticed?

Level 11, full Factotum, 12/10/12/16 (+2 Levels)/10/14 stats. In case it matters.

Thanks,

K-B
So it's a larp game of some sort? Are you carrying metal weapons but resorting to dice rolls for combat or something?
What about for magic users? Say a lightning bolt. Are they required to have decent aim?

arguskos
2010-02-25, 07:12 PM
So it's a larp game of some sort? Are you carrying metal weapons but resorting to dice rolls for combat or something?
What about for magic users? Say a lightning bolt. Are they required to have decent aim?
I think that the SETTING is modernish in nature. :smallwink:

Thurbane
2010-02-25, 07:15 PM
Hey, how about the character pose as a LARPer in-game? That would he could walk around in full armor and weapons, and people would think they were fake? :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-25, 07:17 PM

Correct. Have some nerd cookies :smalltongue:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OVJj4UaLbrk/R4RTCUKnBNI/AAAAAAAAAgE/HHheJb0mcMI/s400/cookie+cutters.jpg

It's essentially an Urban Arcana scenario in a homebrew world/timeline. I'm basically going for know-it-all jackass who makes a living hustling minor gameshows and pub quizzes (he used Autohypnosis to memorize every Wikipedia article one by one :smallcool:)

Iku Rex
2010-02-25, 07:45 PM
The weapon shift (Sor/Wiz 1, SpC) spell lets you turn that hidden toothpick into any weapon you want. That is, it doesn't actually work with improvised weapons like toothpicks, but the smallest "proper" weapon possible should be easy to hide.

If magic weapons are available the sizing (+5000, MIC) property could be useful.

The spinning sword from Secrets of Sarlona can be disguised as a belt and grants a +6 bonus on the sleight of hand check to hide it.

JaronK
2010-02-25, 08:05 PM

Grease, high initiative, and blurstriking weapons gets you most of the way there actually, especially considering Factotums get Int to initiative and are primarily Int based with Dex as a secondary. There's a variety of skill tricks that help too, and remember that enemies are helpless when they cower... why helo thar, Imperious Command.

JaronK

Thrawn183
2010-02-25, 09:11 PM
I had a character that fought with 2 kukris, 2 boot blades, 2 elbow blades and 2 wrist blades. Not all at the same time, but things got pretty awesome.

Optimystik
2010-02-25, 09:46 PM
You can also just buy marbles - Arms & Equipment guide, forces a balance check.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-25, 10:01 PM
Also, from OA, Eggshell Dust Grenades (or something similar-sounding) are useful.

deuxhero
2010-02-26, 12:05 AM
If Seta is any indication, there is someway you can had a greatsword in a school uniform.

In this "real-world scenario" what is stopping you from using a gun?

abandon hope
2010-02-26, 02:16 AM
IIRC that ribbon stick from RoE has a spot check to be recognized as a weapon. You could probably get a circumstance modifier on that. Otherwise it's basically a finessable longsword.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-26, 04:35 AM
If Seta is any indication, there is someway you can had a greatsword in a school uniform.

In this "real-world scenario" what is stopping you from using a gun?

Nothing except having to spend a feat on Firearms Proficiency, and all those Font of Inspirations don't come cheap, especially when Flaws are banned.

Schylerwalker
2010-02-26, 06:42 AM
There's a magic weapon quality in the MiC that lets you "collapse" a weapon to two size categories smaller, thus making it easier to conceal.

deuxhero
2010-02-26, 11:07 AM
Nothing except having to spend a feat on Firearms Proficiency, and all those Font of Inspirations don't come cheap, especially when Flaws are banned.

In a "real-world scenario" a pistol would be martial at worst and LTIC, Factotum had martial weapons.

Lysander
2010-02-26, 11:13 AM
Can you just keep your weapon in a Bag of Holding?

Optimystik
2010-02-26, 11:49 AM
Can you just keep your weapon in a Bag of Holding?

Searching for a specific item in a BoH is at least a move action, and can be as much as a full-round action if there's multiple items inside. Also, sharp objects placed in the bag can tear it.

I finally got to look at OA and yes, you would need a way to keep enemies flatfooted to use Iaijutsu Focus properly, but a Factotum should have no problem doing so anyway.

BRC
2010-02-26, 11:51 AM
Look at Complete Scoundrel. Boot/wrist knives are highly concealable.

I would recommend getting two Boot Heel Compartments, keep a lockpick set in one, and some money in the other.

HunterOfJello
2010-02-26, 12:11 PM
Whatever medium weapon you want + Cloak of Weaponry from the Magic Item Compendium.

the cloak can hold a single weapon in an extra dimensional place

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-26, 12:16 PM
Wield one of the other PCs.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 12:42 PM
Wield one of the other PCs.

Hulking Hurler means wieldling as many PC's as you want.

Fcannon
2010-02-26, 01:35 PM
My favorite has always been the Steel Flute, from Secrets of Sarlona. It's a functional musical instrument, and that's all it looks like, but it's been specially weighted and reinforced for bashing people in the head (it's treated as a club; simple weapon, no improvised weapon penalties).

ericgrau
2010-02-26, 01:55 PM
Weapons like that make my head hurt. At least they didn't fill it with mercury to hit harder by moving to the end like some kind of cheesy 1980's water filled baseball bat.

Steel is not the greatest material for flutes and heavy flutes are uncomfortable to play. It will also have to be a simple flute to keep any mechanisms from being destroyed upon bashing.

If you don't mind spending 10,000 gp on a glove of storing you can carry any weapon you want and draw it even faster than normal. Or one of the various other storage methods mentioned so far.

Kulture
2010-02-26, 04:49 PM
The complete scoundrel has sleave, boot, elbow and knee blades.
Dragon compendium has Hidden daggers (+50g and daggers can be hidden virtually anywhere) Springbolt boots (a favourite) and the spoison ring, as used by Kubota.

It also had the modular/collapsable weapon quality, which allowed weapons to be broken up into parts then later reassembelled.

There's also spring loaded gauntlets from another source book and braid blades from yet another I can't recall.

Shademan
2010-02-26, 05:56 PM
My favorite has always been the Steel Flute, from Secrets of Sarlona. It's a functional musical instrument, and that's all it looks like, but it's been specially weighted and reinforced for bashing people in the head (it's treated as a club; simple weapon, no improvised weapon penalties).

one of the favorite ninja techniques. dishuise yourself as a flute playing monk and calmly walk by your target, when youre behind him you smash his skull with your rather large wooden flute and make a run for it

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-27, 11:20 AM
If you don't mind spending 10,000 gp on a glove of storing you can carry any weapon you want and draw it even faster than normal. Or one of the various other storage methods mentioned so far.

There is a far cheaper version in ghostwalk, gloves of the master strategist it function as gloves of storing and allows for a true strike once per day, for a mere 3,600 GP

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-27, 11:25 AM
There is a far cheaper version in ghostwalk, gloves of the master strategist it function as gloves of storing and allows for a true strike once per day, for a mere 3,600 GP

Yeah I might take that and stick a glaive in it or something.

Taking the quickrazor too mind you.

Thanks very much everyone. Much appreciated (and with a bit of luck Google will pass on this knowledge to those who need it in the future :smalltongue:)

Greenish
2010-02-27, 11:31 AM
Taking the quickrazor too mind you.Are you quite certain that EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor will serve you better than a feat on Firearms Proficiency? :smallconfused:

The quickrazor is good when you can attack a flat-footed target in melee and spend skill points for Iaijutsu Focus. Just shooting people might be simpler.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-27, 11:34 AM
Are you quite certain that EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor will serve you better than a feat on Firearms Proficiency? :smallconfused:

The quickrazor is good when you can attack a flat-footed target in melee and spend skill points for Iaijutsu Focus. Just shooting people might be simpler.

Crud, I thought the razor was Martial. It's an Exotic Weapon though? Damn :smallmad:

Thanks for the reminder.

Greenish
2010-02-27, 12:27 PM
Crud, I thought the razor was Martial. It's an Exotic Weapon though?Unless you're a gnome, it's exotic, like most of the weapons that have extra mechanics.

deuxhero
2010-02-27, 09:41 PM
Most? I assume you don't mean ability to trip and such.