PDA

View Full Version : "Shadow and steel shall I smelt together..." [3.5 PrC]

Edge
2010-02-25, 06:23 PM
Shadowpact Wright
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff334/SoullessEnigma/Warlock3.jpg
”Shape reality’s shadow with your will, and reality will follow suit. Last night, I forced myself to dream of your death. It was glorious. It occurred here, by my hand. It was done with this sword I spun from umbral steel during my sleep. It occurs in the next five seconds.” – Calin Malok, shadowpact wright

HD: d6

Requirements
Skills: Concentration 10 ranks, Use Magic Device 10 ranks.
Feats: Any two item creation feats, any metamagic feat.
Infusions: Ability to use 2nd level infusions.
Invocations: Must be able to use at least one of the breath of the night, darkness, dark one’s own luck and devil’s sight invocations.
Special: Must possess the deceive item class feature.
Special: Must have visited the Plane of Shadow (substitute for Mabar in Eberron).
Special: Must have been tutored in the basic theory of shadow magic by a shadowcaster, or be able to cast 1st level mysteries.

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Open Lock, Profession, Search, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Skill points per level: 4 + Intelligence modifier, minimum 1.

LevelBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecial
1st
+0
+0
+0
+2Craft Reserve, Shadowpact Crafting
2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3Shadow Initiate
3rd
+2
+1
+1
+3Bonus Feat
4th
+3
+1
+1
+4Artifex’s Reverse Shadowfuel Mechanism
5th
+3
+1
+1
+4Shadow Adept
6th
+4
+2
+2
+5Bonus Feat
7th
+5
+2
+2
+5Lucid Crafting
8th
+6
+2
+2
+6Subtle Undercurrent
9th
+6
+3
+3
+6Bonus Feat
10th
+7
+3
+3
+7Shadow Disciple

LevelInfusions per DayInvocations Known
1st+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
2nd+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
3rd+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
4th+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
5th+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
6th+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
7th+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
8th+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
9th+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class
10th+1 of existing infusion-using class+1 of existing class

Class Features
All the following are class features of the shadowpact wright.

Infusions: At every level, a shadowpact wright gain an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in a infusion-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (except Craft Reserve, see below). If you had more than one infusion-using class before becoming a spirit craftsman, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level.

Invoking: At every level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level (including eldritch blast). You do not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one invocation-using class before becoming a shadowpact wright, you must decide which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level and invocations known.

Craft Reserve: Whenever you gain an odd shadowpact wright level, you receive bonus XP for crafting items as if you had also gained a level of Artificer. In addition, you may add half your shadowpact wright level, rounded down, to your Artificer level for determining the size of your craft reserve.

Shadowpact Crafting (Su): You may now use your warlock invocations to meet the prerequisites of items you craft. Any invocation that functions as a certain spell now counts as that spell for meeting item creation prerequisites, meaning that you need not emulate those spells with a Use Magic Device check when crafting.

In addition, when crafting any item that contains a function based on a spell with the darkness, death or shadow descriptors, the cost for that particular function of item is reduced by 25%.

Your shadowpact wright levels stack with your artificer levels for determining when you receive Craft Magic Arms and Armour, Craft Wand, Craft Rod, Craft Staff and Forge Ring as bonus feats.

Shadow Initiate (Ex): At 2nd level, your insight into the realm of shadow expands the limits of your occult power. You gain knowledge of two of the following invocations: breath of the night, darkness, dark one’s own luck and devil’s sight, which are added to your invocations known in addition to your normal allotment. Unlike your other invocations, you cannot swap the invocations granted by this class feature for other invocations at every level where he learns a new invocation.

In addition, you increase the save DCs of your invocations and spell trigger items by 1 when you cast or activate them whilst standing in shadowy or darker illumination.

Bonus Feats: At 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, you gain a bonus feat from the following list: any metamagic feat, Attune Magic Weapon, Craft Construct, Exceptional Artisan, Extra Rings, Extraordinary Artisan, Legendary Artisan and Wand Mastery. You must meet all prerequisites for the chosen feat to select it.

Artifex’s Reverse Shadowfuel Mechanism (Su): At 4th level, you are able to draw upon the arcane energy of your infusions or items to strengthen the power of your invocations. You may apply the benefits of any metamagic feat you possess to an invocation by expending an infusion slot of a level equal to the level adjustment of the metamagic feat. Alternatively, you can spend a number of charges from a magic item equal to the level adjustment of the metamagic feat. This process does not alter the invocation’s casting time.

Shadow Adept (Ex): At 5th level, your insight into the shadow arts deepens. You gain knowledge of two of the following invocations: beshadowed blast, hungry darkness, voidsense and wall of gloom, which are added to your invocations known in addition to your normal allotment. Unlike your other invocations, you cannot swap the invocations granted by this class feature for other invocations at every level where he learns a new invocation.

In addition, you may choose to forgo the use of one of your invocations known for the day each dawn. If you do so, one spell trigger item per point of Charisma bonus that you have crafted gain the effects of a metamagic feat with a level adjustment equal to the equivalent level of the sacrificed invocation for free. This benefit last until the next sunrise, and can only provide a benefit to items currently in your possession.

Lucid Crafting (Su): At 7th level, your imagination remains active even whilst you slumber. You may continue to craft an item whilst sleeping, ignoring the usual 8 hours a day of crafting that can be accomplished. This allows you to effectively halve the time required to craft an item. However, this ability requires a deep wellspring of willpower to function, and cannot be utilised on any day upon which you use your eldritch blast or any other invocation.

Subtle Undercurrent (Su): At 8th level, you learn how to weave your innate magic into that which you call forth from the products of your efforts. Whenever you use a spell trigger item that requires a ranged touch attack, you may expend an additional charge to deal damage equal to your eldritch blast in addition to the item’s normal effect. You may apply an eldritch essence to this eldritch blast, but not an eldritch shape – the blast’s normal range is replaced with that of the effect contained within the spell trigger item. The blast damage must be inflicted upon the same target as the item’s standard effect.

Shadow Disciple (Ex): At 10th level, your insight into the mysteries of shadow are matched only by the most accomplished shadowcasters. You gain knowledge of two of the following invocations: bewitching blast, chilling tentaclesand enervating shadow, plus one of the following invocations: dark discorporation, path of shadow or utterdark blast.

In addition, any invocation or spell trigger item you use with the shadow descriptor has its effectiveness increased by 20%, and you increase the DC of your invocations and spell trigger items by 1 when you cast or activate them in shadowy or darker illumination.

Forever Curious
2010-02-25, 06:33 PM
...this is a beautiful class. I can't critique the power balance, but I love the flavor (the Shadowcaster requirement bugs me, but makes sense).

This wouldn't happen to be for that artificer game I noticed, would it?

Edge
2010-02-25, 06:34 PM
It is indeed designed for that game. Specifically, for the BBEG, now that I have taken over DMing said game.

Eldan
2010-02-25, 06:50 PM
A stupid question, maybe, but why not make this a straight Shadowcaster/Artificer class? Warlock also fits, certainly, but it just seems that the Shadowcaster fits even better. The only problem, of course, would be the Subtle Undercurrent, which would have to be replaced by something else.

Also: Love, love, love the picture.

Edge
2010-02-25, 06:53 PM
Mainly because I dislike the way the shadowcaster's, well, casting is handled. Plus, there's already a PrC in the Tome of Magic that involves (albeit short-term) crafting and mysteries.

arguskos
2010-02-25, 06:55 PM
Mainly because I dislike the way the shadowcaster's, well, casting is handled. Plus, there's already a PrC in the Tome of Magic that involves (albeit short-term) crafting and mysteries.
I was actually hoping this would be a rewrite of the Shadowsmith so that it was actually decent mechanically.

As is, it's nice, but I agree, Warlock doesn't really fit IMO.

Edge
2010-02-25, 07:14 PM
If people really are that insistent on the shadowcasting, I could do an adaptation section.

But I think warlocks have enough shadow-based powers available to them to be able to theme themselves.

I do have plans to redo the warlock, borrowing from the idea of differing pacts presented in the 4e incarnation of the class, and Shadow Pact would be one that I would include (along with Abyssal, Fey, Infernal, Spirit and Aberrant), but that's a fair ways off, given that I have the rather large aliotheurge class to finish up first.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-25, 07:41 PM
That sounds awesome. Just saying.

And whee, this frees me from making that Eldritch Artisan that I'd been considering, hah!

Anyway... an extra six Invocations known (50% of the Warlock's standard allotment), almost as many feats as the Artificer, Crafting Reserve, Metamagic Reduction, crafting while sleeping even in addition to normal crafting (though at high cost). I dunno. You get a lot in this class. I mean... the prerequisites are harsh (what's it, Artificer 3/Warlock 4?), but Warlock 4, at least, has its own incredible benefit (yay for taking-10 on the most important and powerful skill check in the game!), but those are a ton of benefits. It's... close to the power level of an Artificer//Warlock gestalt. Very close, actually. Which I'm not sure is intended.

On the other hand, for our BBEG... that could be just what the doctor ordered. Though I would caution that Temen DuRell, at least, is very much not a combatant.

Edge
2010-02-25, 07:44 PM
On the other hand, for our BBEG... that could be just what the doctor ordered. Though I would caution that Temen DuRell, at least, is very much not a combatant.

I am very much aware of this, and have already talked it over with Djinn.

Yes, I did build this with the fact that the entire party is Tier 1, and taking into account his personal situation.

The extra invocations are mostly because I feel the warlock doesn't get enough. Something I else I redress when I do my rebuild.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-25, 07:53 PM
I agree with you on that, so I guess I'm in agreement on the class. It's pretty awesome.

Personally, I kind of like the infusion/invocation/mystery thing.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-25, 08:35 PM
This is great. Minor typo: "It was done with this sword I span from umbral steel" - "span" should probably be "spun".