PDA

View Full Version : Just got Start of Darkness and Origin of PCs

Disney
2010-02-25, 08:04 PM
Awwwwwww Yeeaaaahhh. That's right. More than 200 OOTS strips I've never seen before with new gags, and brilliant backstory (I assume).

At less than 40 bucks including shipping, that's less than $0.50 a strip. Easily worth it. It's like coming into the comic for the first time, with no waiting between strips but better because I already know all the characters.

I can feel the jealousy from here.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-25, 08:10 PM
Yeah everyone else read this years ago.

:smallwink:

OMG SPOILER!
Xykon turns into a lich!!

xyzzy
2010-02-25, 10:10 PM

OMG SPOILER!

Whoa. Whoa.

What?!?

FoE
2010-02-25, 10:35 PM
I got it a year ago. Easily one of the best comics I've ever read.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-02-26, 03:18 AM

OMG SPOILER!

Slow down there, Hard Charger! Next, you'll be telling us
that the picture on the cover doesn't exactly match what happens in the book!

And that would just ruin EVERYTHING!

Mystic Muse
2010-02-26, 03:32 AM
Slow down there, Hard Charger! Next, you'll be telling us
that the picture on the cover doesn't exactly match what happens in the book!

And that would just ruin EVERYTHING!

Ah yeah! and then you'll be telling us!

Xykon is evilbad!

Haven
2010-02-26, 03:52 AM
It is an amazing deal, yes. Not just in quantity, but in the quality of the strips (though I do wish they could have been colorized--but if we wouldn't have got them at all that way, then so be it).

Warning though: after reading Start of Darkness, you will feel pretty disgusted at some of the implications of a typical D&D campaign. (Also, you'll feel very sad in general. And carry some strong, yet confused, feelings towards nachos.)

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-26, 06:07 AM
Protip: read Origin first.

Cizak
2010-02-26, 06:56 AM
Protip: read Origin first.

I read SoD first since I ordered both books at the same time but Origins was out of stook, so I only got SoD at first, and I don't think it matters at all.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-26, 07:46 AM
I read SoD first since I ordered both books at the same time but Origins was out of stook, so I only got SoD at first, and I don't think it matters at all.
I read SoD first too, and I wish I hadn't because while Origin works as a nice companion to the DCF-era strips, it's a bit of a let down after you've read all the vastly superior stuff that came later (both on- and offline).

In other words: save the best until last.

Disney
2010-02-26, 03:07 PM
I read SoD first too, and I wish I hadn't because while Origin works as a nice companion to the DCF-era strips, it's a bit of a let down after you've read all the vastly superior stuff that came later (both on- and offline).

In other words: save the best until last.

I read SOD first, I do wish I had read it second. It was fantastic. Actually, after I was done with PC's I picked SOD back up and was flipping through it. Amazing stuff. I may be late to the party, but I jumped in with both feet.

Ancalagon
2010-02-26, 04:11 PM
Good read, no? You know what you now have to do... re-read the archieves online and enjoy the Redcloak-Xykon-Relationship for what it REALLY is. ;)

Cisturn
2010-02-26, 11:01 PM
Good read, no? You know what you now have to do... re-read the archieves online and enjoy the Redcloak-Xykon-Relationship for what it REALLY is. ;)

I banish you to whatever the current crack pairings thread is currently

Mystic Muse
2010-02-26, 11:06 PM

I think Ancalagon is already a crack pairer:smalltongue:

Ancalagon
2010-02-27, 02:56 AM

There are other relationships than sexual ones. I'm fairly certain Redcloak and Xykon don't have one of the sexual ones. ;)

Disney
2010-03-03, 11:49 AM
It was fantastic. Start of Darkness that is. On the Origin of PC's was more lighthearted, non-crucial, less intense fun. I thought Rich did a fantastic job on the Xykon/Redcloak dynamic and how it shifted.

It really did add depth to the characters, especially now that Gobbotopia has been founded and Redcloak got the message from the Dark One. That's some crazy long term planning on Rich's part (either that or he's really really lucky).

I would recommend it to everyone, and I'll probably lend it to a few of my friends.

Disney
2010-03-03, 11:59 AM
It was fantastic. Start of Darkness that is. On the Origin of PC's was more lighthearted, non-crucial, less intense fun. I thought Rich did a fantastic job on the Xykon/Redcloak dynamic and how it shifted.

It really did add depth to the characters, especially now that Gobbotopia has been founded and Redcloak got the message from the Dark One. That's some crazy long term planning on Rich's part (either that or he's really really lucky).

I would recommend it to everyone, and I'll probably lend it to a few of my friends.