PDA

View Full Version : So how is the commoner rail cannon broken?

Malificus
2010-02-25, 10:49 PM
So I get how it can easily move objects a great distance rapidly, but that's never the point that's emphasized. It's always about the devastating damage.

Assuming that the final commoner has a weapon proficiency for whatever is being thrown, doesn't it only do about 1d2+str if it's a rock, maybe 1d6+str for a javelin?

That's a lot of manpower and coordination and for what? To overcome a 30ft. range?

awa
2010-02-25, 10:54 PM
the commoner rail gun assumes that you can use dnd physics to move the object but then requires real world physics to kick in and assume it maintains the momentum. it doesn't work at all not logically not mechanically.

Boci
2010-02-25, 10:55 PM
There are also abilities that gain a bonus based on how far you have travelled in that round. ToB setting sun throws spring to mind.

Malificus
2010-02-25, 10:55 PM
the commoner rail gun assumes that you can use dnd physics to move the object but then requires real world physics to kick in and assume it maintains the momentum.

Alright, are there any rules for extra damage from speed I'm not aware of?

Thajocoth
2010-02-25, 10:58 PM
The final commoner's action with the item is unaffected by the previous commoner's actions. Therefore, he/she simply drops it on the ground by their feet, despite the fact that 6 seconds prior, it was on the other end of the continent.

awa
2010-02-25, 11:02 PM
none in regards to thorn objects that's why it dose not work it's broken becuase it does not function

Malificus
2010-02-25, 11:04 PM
There are also abilities that gain a bonus based on how far you have travelled in that round. ToB setting sun throws spring to mind.

I see devastating throw, but that's based on how far the thrower has moved.

So to even try applying that, the last "commoner" has to run to the end of the line to intercept the rock, and throw it. And that'd do 2d6 to the rock.

The final commoner's action with the item is unaffected by the previous commoner's actions. Therefore, he/she simply drops it on the ground by their feet, despite the fact that 6 seconds prior, it was on the other end of the continent.

Wait, s/he doesn't even try throwing it? That seems even sillier.

Thajocoth
2010-02-25, 11:06 PM
Wait, s/he doesn't even try throwing it? That seems even sillier.

...Or they throw it... But it's still just a normal throw with no bonuses to distance, damage or anything...

Malificus
2010-02-25, 11:07 PM
...Or they throw it... But it's still just a normal throw with no bonuses to distance

Well, unless you count the fact that they just threw a rock possibly from across the continent.

Boci
2010-02-25, 11:08 PM
I see devastating throw, but that's based on how far the thrower has moved.

Yes so if the thrower has just been transported 10 miles by a commoner rail gun (would probably need half-orc commoners and a halfling swordsage), that is going to be a collosal trip check.

Malificus
2010-02-25, 11:13 PM
Yes so if the thrower has just been transported 10 miles by a commoner rail gun (would probably need half-orc commoners and a halfling swordsage), that is going to be a collosal trip check.

But your average commoner would be put into over encumbrance by the weight of the swordsage. Can they really keep passing him forwards?
EDIT: I see, you're using stronger commoners with a smaller sword-sage. But you just negated the bonus to trip.

And the trip check doesn't increase beyond the first +4, nor does the damage actually increase beyond the 2d6.

Boci
2010-02-25, 11:18 PM
But your average commoner would be put into over encumbrance by the weight of the swordsage. Can they really keep passing him forwards?

Male halfling is 30lb, 10 strengths is enough.

And the trip check doesn't increase beyond the first +4, nor does the damage actually increase beyond the 2d6.

The 9th level one is uncapped.

Malificus
2010-02-25, 11:23 PM
Male halfling is 30lb, 10 strengths is enough.

The 9th level one is uncapped.

Alright, so we've lined up thousands of commoners, had them railgun a level 17+ halfling swordsage, then had said halfling throw someone an absurd distance, for lots of damage.

I wonder if the thrown person would be caught flatfooted by the sudden appearance of the halfling.

Boci
2010-02-25, 11:29 PM
Alright, so we've lined up thousands of commoners, had them railgun a level 17+ halfling swordsage, then had said halfling throw someone an absurd distance, for lots of damage.

There should be other things as well, but I cannot think of any at the momment.

I wonder if the thrown person would be caught flatfooted by the sudden appearance of the halfling.

By RAW no, and since that is the only place the commoner railgun will ever exist...

Flickerdart
2010-02-26, 12:03 AM
By RAW no, and since that is the only place the commoner railgun will ever exist...
Except that everyone who hasn't acted in a combat yet is flat-footed. If the target had no reason to believe the peasants were hostile, the Swordsage's attack is a surprise round, so the target is flat-footed.

The Railgun isn't "broken", at least in the sense that the Wizard is, or the sense that the Truenamer is. It's just an absurd result of RAW mechanics placed into real-world context (mundane instantaneous transport).

WeeFreeMen
2010-02-26, 12:53 AM
I used it in a campaign once for hiliarity sake.

Player: "How are we supposed to get across the continent to stop the Demon Prince in time?!"
Player 2: "I have absolutely no idea, It seems we are doomed"
DM: "A commoner walks up to you and tells you he can help, Suddenly you are grappled by him. Do you accept?"
Player 1: "Whats the worse that can happen, Ill accept"
DM: "At a blinding speed you are passed hand to hand again and again, and arrive in the Desert Kingdom"
Player 1: "Wth?!, How?"
Player 2: "Dont ask questions"
DM: "*Smile"

Thajocoth
2010-02-26, 01:38 AM
Well, unless you count the fact that they just threw a rock possibly from across the continent.

There's no mechanics reason for this part to matter. What they did was isolated... They picked up a rock that was handed to them and threw it.

If you try to toss real-physics in, you need to modify the rules to work with real physics. Then you wind up setting a few thousand commoners on fire from friction... And that's just one issue with it.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-26, 02:02 AM
I used it in a campaign once for hiliarity sake.

Player: "How are we supposed to get across the continent to stop the Demon Prince in time?!"
Player 2: "I have absolutely no idea, It seems we are doomed"
DM: "A commoner walks up to you and tells you he can help, Suddenly you are grappled by him. Do you accept?"
Player 1: "Whats the worse that can happen, Ill accept"
DM: "At a blinding speed you are passed hand to hand again and again, and arrive in the Desert Kingdom"
Player 1: "Wth?!, How?"
Player 2: "Dont ask questions"
DM: "*Smile"

...I want to do this.

A secret society of commoners dedicated to transporting heroes to their destinations.

WeeFreeMen
2010-02-26, 02:11 AM
...I want to do this.

A secret society of commoners dedicated to transporting heroes to their destinations.

Haha.
Also, secret assassination attempts by flinging rocks across the ocean?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-02-26, 02:18 AM
...I want to do this.

One of the less broken possibilities of a high leadership score - actually, that may be worth calculating - it'd take some planning to use, but if you pulled it off...:smallbiggrin: