PDA

View Full Version : True Seeing

Zergrusheddie
2010-02-26, 02:55 AM
Ok, True Seeing lets you see the true form of someone under the effects of Polymorph like spells. I find this strange because Polymorph is not an illusion, but I was thinking about something and it made me scratch my head.

If a True Seeing Wizards looks up and sees a Druid Wildshaped into Bird, what does he see? Does he see someone playing Superman or does he see a human desperately flapping their arms to stay airborne?

If a True Seeing Wizards looks up and sees another Wizard transformed into a Cloud Giant who is carrying a boulder the size of a boat, what does he see? Does he just see a tiny little weakling wizard carrying a boulder or does he see the Wizard and the boulder "floating" above him?

If someone has True Seeing, do they know that someone is using an illusion? It seems like it could be dangerous to see something without actually knowing that they are attempting an illusion.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-26, 03:04 AM
Ok, True Seeing lets you see the true form of someone under the effects of Polymorph like spells. I find this strange because Polymorph is not an illusion, but I was thinking about something and it made me scratch my head.

If a True Seeing Wizards looks up and sees a Druid Wildshaped into Bird, what does he see? Does he see someone playing Superman or does he see a human desperately flapping their arms to stay airborne?

If a True Seeing Wizards looks up and sees another Wizard transformed into a Cloud Giant who is carrying a boulder the size of a boat, what does he see? Does he just see a tiny little weakling wizard carrying a boulder or does he see the Wizard and the boulder "floating" above him?

If someone has True Seeing, do they know that someone is using an illusion? It seems like it could be dangerous to see something without actually knowing that they are attempting an illusion.

I typically allow people to see both the illusion and the real form.

The real question: Polymorphed objects are actually there. So, say we have someone hiding behind a wall. That wall used to be a fish, but it was polymorphed into the shape of a wall via Polymorph Any Object.

Now, you see the true form (the fish). Do you see the person behind the wall?

2xMachina
2010-02-26, 03:17 AM
The pebble eats your face. It's currently Polymorphed into a bear.

Zergrusheddie
2010-02-26, 03:18 AM
Even better:

Polymorph any Object a whale into a small tuna. What does the True Seeing guy see when a fisherman catches him in a net or when a bird eats him? Surely they don't see a pelican fly off with a whale in tow...

Koury
2010-02-26, 03:20 AM
I always just played it as somethng along the lines of you getting a mental image of how things actually are. So you'd know the wall was a fish, but not see a person behind it. You'd know the bird was a druid (well, a person) but he wouldn't be flapping his arms or anything.

Thats nothing official of course :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-02-26, 03:34 AM
what would happen if something ate a whale that had been polymorphed into a small tuna?:smallconfused:

Koury
2010-02-26, 03:39 AM
It would have a delicious tuna meal.

What happens when that tuna turns back a whale, however? :smallbiggrin:

Zergrusheddie
2010-02-26, 03:40 AM

Remember the ending scene to Blade?... :smallyuk:

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 04:17 AM

It makes a Strength check vs. the bird's insides, and if it wins bursts the bird apart. If it loses (not bloody likely) it is confined (and the bird likely starts feeling some major distress).

Koury
2010-02-26, 04:26 AM
Ok, that would be the coolest booby trap ever.

"Here you go [arch nemisis]. 100 [birds/blankets/rings/etc] as a token of my submission to you."

Oh the havok it could wreak.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 04:31 AM

"Here you go [arch nemisis]. 100 [birds/blankets/rings/etc] as a token of my submission to you."

Better is a fake spellbook full of Explosive Runes with a Dispel Magic trap on opening.

ka_bna
2010-02-26, 04:35 AM

The paranoia...

DM: The Good Guy casts Heroes Feast to aid you defeat the evil dragon...
Party: It's a trap! [Good Guy] must be the evil dragon boobytrapping us! Kill him!

or the other way around:
Paladin: I give some nice apples to the poor children.
DM: You fall.