PDA

View Full Version : NERF itP

Deth Muncher
2010-02-26, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure whether this should go here or Other Gaming, but regardless! Avast, ye fellow NERFers! No, I don't mean people who make classes/armies/cool things worse, I mean those of you who are proud owners of NERF brand dart guns! Tell your tales of epic NERF fights, of your modifications, and of your arsenal in general!

To start, my arsenal is as follows:
Two Dart Tag pistols - one modded with a new spring and barrell, one stock
Four Vulcans, as part of a friend's "Rapid 100 Mechsuit" idea.
A partially modded Longshot - Just needs to be fully reinforced and re-springed.
A Nitefinder - modded for more ammo capacity as well as PVC barrel replacement and spring replacement.
A Maverick. (lulz)

smellie_hippie
2010-02-26, 08:09 AM
I boast a modded Nitefinder and Maverick (air restrictors cut on both and the drum flips out completely on the Maverick). I have purchased a Longshot, but have yet to feel up to making any modifications.

My kids both have Mavericks, which they would like me to help with upgrades.

We also have a friend's Vulcan sitting intimidatingly in the corner with an extended belt clip of 100 darts.

ScottishDragon
2010-02-26, 10:00 AM
I HAD a longshot,a maveric and a firefly,
my friend tried and failed to upgrade the longshot destroying it,most of my darts got left out in the rain and were destroyed,lost my firefly,and now i only have my maveric and 6 bullets.:smallfrown:

Jack Squat
2010-02-26, 10:52 AM
I've got a NiteFinder, a Maverick, a Recon, and a Vulcan. I'd have my older ones, but most of them have broken throughout the years. All of them are modded to one degree or another.

BRC
2010-02-26, 10:57 AM
Me and my friends frequently steal a floor in one of the dorm buildings on campus and have nerfwars.
I had one from a knockoff company, I just recently got a Recon so I could justify getting the bandolier (Which looks awesome).

skywalker
2010-02-26, 12:39 PM
I HAD a longshot,a maveric and a firefly,
my friend tried and failed to upgrade the longshot destroying it,most of my darts got left out in the rain and were destroyed,lost my firefly,and now i only have my maveric and 6 bullets.:smallfrown:

Real men only need a Maverick and 6 bullets...

Anyway, we used to do a fair amount of NERF fighting, but then one of my friends got shot in the eye and he didn't see right for a couple of days. No NERF fighting since then.

The other problem with NERF fighting is that most NERF fights boil down to "he who has the Vulcan wins."

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-26, 01:05 PM
Clearly the purpose of the N-force swords is to produce Jedi. Let's face it; the Nerf guns are blasters, and you can use the swords to deflect the Nerf darts. What other situation could it possibly be?

Also, Penny Arcade's Nerf Rules of Engagement made me lol.

Jack Squat
2010-02-26, 01:06 PM
The other problem with NERF fighting is that most NERF fights boil down to "he who has the Vulcan wins."

Which is why what I like doing are Human vs. Zombie games, Vulcan's heavy and not fast enough to do great as a carried weapon against a mass of people.

I also manage to carry my entire arsenal including reloads (totaling somewhere around 200 darts, IIRC), so take that as you will.

RandomNPC
2010-02-26, 06:12 PM
any good linkys for modding? my son is just getting into the NERF aspect of life, and I want him to do it right. (also, I want to mod and play with these things)

Partof1
2010-02-26, 08:50 PM
I use a Raider, a dart tag pistol, and 2 mavericks with any regularity. I would love to know how to mod those, espeially the raider, if possible, though I think it's unlikely.

Bhu
2010-02-26, 09:48 PM
Also can any of you recommend sites for someone statting out a Nerf Golem?

billtodamax
2010-02-26, 09:53 PM
Well, here's a couple of sites I found through some googling.

One that seems fairly simple:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Nerf-Gun-Modifications./

And one that goes more in depth:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Nerf-Mods-A-Beginners-Guide/

ScottishDragon
2010-02-26, 10:05 PM
Real men only need a Maverick and 6 bullets...
I know,and when there are tournaments amongst my friends i still always win
what are the use for nerf swords?i can deflect darts fine with my gun,and i can shoot before they can hit me with the.

Ormagoden
2010-02-26, 10:17 PM
Recon 6 (air restrictor removed, new spring, foamed)
Longshot (air restrictor removed, new spring, foamed)
Maverick (air restrictor removed, new spring, foamed)
One gun from the attack unit set (air restrictor removed, new spring foamed) and sitting in my drawer at work waiting for the unwary.

The two new guns look really cool as does the new longshot.

Also those are nothing compared to
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/794/dsc04989butsmallerra8.jpg

Also moding a nerf gun and giving it to a kid is not a very smart idea. There is a reason nerf guns come all wimpy and short distance out of the box. It's so you're kid doesn't damage their eyes or face or someone else's eyes or face.

golentan
2010-02-26, 11:12 PM
I'm working on custom designs for a scratch built fully automatic nerf gun. The trouble is that the springs keep overcoming the tensile strength of my materials. The automatic feature is powered by a 500 pound spring, I haven't built any of it yet but I keep doing controlled strength tests... I really don't want it to fail while I'm holding it, which means test after test...

But yeah. The plan is to eventually get it as part of a steam punk style battlesuit. I've looked into buying ballistics resistant material. I've worked out a rotary translation ratchet system where I can do armor that charges up the spring over time as I move, and alternate weapon clips for nets, taser rounds, rubber bullets, and crossbow bolts (assuming it's legal to actually build that one).

Next stop: Superhero-dom.

Everyone needs a hobby.

billtodamax
2010-02-26, 11:19 PM
I'm working on custom designs for a scratch built fully automatic nerf gun. The trouble is that the springs keep overcoming the tensile strength of my materials. The automatic feature is powered by a 500 pound spring, I haven't built any of it yet but I keep doing controlled strength tests... I really don't want it to fail while I'm holding it, which means test after test...

But yeah. The plan is to eventually get it as part of a steam punk style battlesuit. I've looked into buying ballistics resistant material. I've worked out a rotary translation ratchet system where I can do armor that charges up the spring over time as I move, and alternate weapon clips for nets, taser rounds, rubber bullets, and crossbow bolts (assuming it's legal to actually build that one).

Everyone needs a hobby.

You scare me.

golentan
2010-02-27, 12:24 AM
You scare me.

Oh, come on, that's far from the scariest or craziest idea I've ever had, or planned out in excruciating detail.

Though the other one was as a member of a red team, and my boss reports that the General's response to reading my summary was "Jesus. You're absolutely sure this guy is on our side, right?"

Rutskarn
2010-02-27, 12:28 AM
Nerf guns ain't allowed in the dorms. That doesn't stop people, though--Nerf weapons are a pretty common contraband.

Bhu
2010-02-27, 02:23 AM
Nerf guns ain't allowed in the dorms. That doesn't stop people, though--Nerf weapons are a pretty common contraband.

Seriously? Why? How is it possible to injure someone with a nerf gun beyond deliberately shooting them in the eye?

PersonMan
2010-02-27, 12:20 PM
I have nothing, but a friend of mine used to have awesome NERF wars with his family, sometimes I was there to witness it. I'm not sure of the name, but I used a modified (to full-auto) ball-shooting thing he called the SAW.

Of course, we would also sometimes use darts he filled with glue, and he had a table covered in half-taken apart guns which he was modifying to shoot far stronger.

Unfortunately, he moved to Denmark so I rarely see him.

Force
2010-02-27, 02:01 PM

Everyone needs a hobby.

... That sounds awesome. Not sure where you live, but crossbows don't usually require registration in the US. Rubber bullets, depending on what you shoot them with, might be harder. Tasers, of course, require certification and they're dang expensive.

What materials have you tested?

Bhu
2010-02-28, 05:21 AM
Depending on your location tasers are out. Also keep in mind they do kill some people if they certain medical conditions which you wont be able to realize by looking at them.

smellie_hippie
2010-02-28, 10:05 AM
Recon 6 (air restrictor removed, new spring, foamed)
Longshot (air restrictor removed, new spring, foamed)
Maverick (air restrictor removed, new spring, foamed)
One gun from the attack unit set (air restrictor removed, new spring foamed) and sitting in my drawer at work waiting for the unwary.

What do you mean when you say "foamed"? I got the air-restrictors thing, and veen putting in a higher tensile spring. Are you filling the blank space with some foam like substance? Are you modding your darts to give them more front-end weight?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-28, 08:05 PM
Seriously? Why? How is it possible to injure someone with a nerf gun beyond deliberately shooting them in the eye?

I was going to mention my own arsenal, but I figure I'll address this point as well.

1 modded Maverick (no air restrictions, full swing on the chambers, reinforced spring, tighter air flow, and better dart fit).
2 modded Nightfinders (one minimized + stronger spring, 1 with extended telescoping brass barrels, three springs, and a weighted grip...the latter shoots about 70-80ft flat)

Then there's the big guns...these are the ones that cause injury if you're not careful (although the sniper Nightfinder above packs a punch).

1 Titan: Pump plugged, with a 3-shot barrel attachment, a 7-shot shotgun attachment, and a 2ft long sniper barrel attachment. With the sniper barrel, it shoots upwards of 250ft, ruins anything but custom-made darts, and will punch straight through both sides of a cardboard box at anything less than 6ft. NOT FOR ANYTHING BUT CAREFUL SNIPING AT DISTANCES OF AT LEAST 50ft (unless using a multi-shot barrel).

1 Nightrifle: The Nightrifle is a modified Nightfinder that has a barrel and air chamber replacement...using the nightfinder trigger system, you rig up a 12" industrial spring. It's deadly. This is currently in pieces, as it's just to dangerous for casual use.

1 Doomsayer (Under Construction) The Doomsayer is the name for a modified shotgun from some third-party NERF company whose name eludes me at the moment. It's a twelve-shot rotating drum shotgun and, with a bit of work, can reliably hit at around 80-90 feet, and be reloaded quickly and easily. The twelve shot drum doesn't hurt matters at all. :smallbiggrin:

golentan
2010-02-28, 08:22 PM
... That sounds awesome. Not sure where you live, but crossbows don't usually require registration in the US. Rubber bullets, depending on what you shoot them with, might be harder. Tasers, of course, require certification and they're dang expensive.

What materials have you tested?

Well, so far only some cast aluminum and iron. The trouble is that the material has to be able to withstand anywhere from 200 to 2500 pounds of pressure, and still be light enough to carry. There are materials out there that meet the criteria, of course. But they tend to be pre built to specifications that don't satisfy the requirements of the design, and I don't have a metalworks in my garage, and am short on cash at the moment anyway.

Force
2010-03-02, 08:58 PM
Aluminum's not strong enough; iron is too heavy and too brittle. You'd want some variety of carbon steel (NOT stainless), titanium, or some expensive alloy if you were going for a metal. Actual ballistic-resistant materials are usually polymers (Kevlar) or ceramics (SAPI).

golentan
2010-03-02, 10:48 PM
Aluminum's not strong enough; iron is too heavy and too brittle. You'd want some variety of carbon steel (NOT stainless), titanium, or some expensive alloy if you were going for a metal. Actual ballistic-resistant materials are usually polymers (Kevlar) or ceramics (SAPI).

Not for the ballistics. For the casing and workings of the spring drives. For the ballistics I'd go kevlar.

Stormthorn
2010-03-02, 11:08 PM
I wish i knew how to mod nerf guns.
I own some really old one. And a Recon. And a pair of those dark tag ones with the large round clips. And a pair of mavericks. And the one with the little flashy light and glow in the dark bullets.
And one dart gun not actually made by Nerf.
But modding them isnt something i know how to do. And i dont have the money to afford the many broken guns i will surely generate. Heck, i recently bought a gun that came broken already right out of the package.

If i feel the need for a toy gun i could actually injure someone with i just take out my bb-gun.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-02, 11:13 PM

Everyone needs a hobby.

Okay, so story time. A friend of mine made what he had called the Rapid 80. Basically, it was four Rapid 20s, two of which were wrist mounted and two of which were regular handheld.

He then improved upon this going towards battlesuit status, by making the Rapid 100. He had some football armor, so he did two shoulder mounted Vulcans, and two handhelds.

He gave me the Vulcans and the football armor, though I had to take them apart. I plan on doing the Rapid 180, and combining the two.

Force
2010-03-02, 11:25 PM
Not for the ballistics. For the casing and workings of the spring drives. For the ballistics I'd go kevlar.

Ahh, right. *brick'd* In that case, aluminum or good CARBON steel would probably do the job. There's a point at which the springs are too heavy for the ammo and you're expending a great deal of effort for no purpose and if you're overwhelming good-quality metals with springs that are that powerful you shouldn't be shooting nerf darts because at short range those could cause injury.

golentan
2010-03-02, 11:56 PM
Ahh, right. *brick'd* In that case, aluminum or good CARBON steel would probably do the job. There's a point at which the springs are too heavy for the ammo and you're expending a great deal of effort for no purpose and if you're overwhelming good-quality metals with springs that are that powerful you shouldn't be shooting nerf darts because at short range those could cause injury.

No, I'm using the big (500 lb/inch) spring as an energy storage engine for a much lighter spring for a full auto custom design, and later for the battlesuit. It's the 500 lb. "Battery" that's giving me problems, and I don't have high quality materials, I've got cheapo stuff scrounged from the local junkyard. For the moment.

Actually, the project is sort of on indefinite hold.