PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Multiple charges?

NEO|Phyte
2010-02-26, 11:42 AM
So, for a hypothetical 30th-level 4e game, I created a barbarian that was a proverbial beast when it comes to charging, to the point where he could theoretically clear an encounter out of minions in one turn. For any number of minions. The odds of this decrease the more minions there are, but that's not why I'm here. I'm wondering if there's any way(s) to replicate this in 3.5. I'm currently using the Streetfighter ACF from the Cityscape web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), which swaps out your barbarian DR for goodies.

* At 7th level, the critical threat range of any charge attack he makes, or any attack he makes against a flat-footed foe, increases by 1. (Thus, a greataxe would threaten a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.) This ability stacks with the Improved Critical feat or the keen weapon enhancement.

* At 10th level, the barbarian can make a single turn, up to 90 degrees, during a charge.

* At 13th level, the barbarian can charge through squares occupied by his allies or by noncombatants.

* At 16th level, the barbarian can move up to four times his speed when making a charge attack, rather than double.

* At 19th level, the barbarian acquires a "cleaving charge." If he drops an opponent on a charge attack, and he has at least 10 feet of movement remaining, he can immediately make a new charge attack against a second foe. If he drops that foe and still has movement remaining, he can charge a third, and so on until he either fails to drop a foe, or runs out of movement. All the other standard rules for a charge attack still apply, including the fact that he must have at least 10 feet of distance to make the charge.

* Even if he somehow gains the ability to make multiple attacks on a charge (such as with the lion's charge spell from the Spell Compendium), he must drop the foe on the first attack to use this ability. Similarly, he cannot use this ability and Cleave or Great Cleave in the same round.

What else is there?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-26, 11:46 AM
Charging and taking out multiple enemies in one turn? Shadowpouncer build. Totemist/Swordsage/Teflammar Shadowlord/Thayan Gladiator is the way to go. Barring that, TWFing Rogue with maxed out SA dice and the Maiming Strike feat from Exemplars of Evil. Anything not immune to Cha damage is dead in one round.

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 11:49 AM
Well, Great Cleave obviously. Empower your charges with Shock Trooper [CWar] and Leap Attack [CAdv]. Get Boots of the Battle Charger [MiC] to ignore difficult terrain on charges. All this combined with the Street Fighter ACF does a ton for ya already. Add Heedless Charge [RoD], Battle Leader's Charge [ToB], Valorous Weapon [UE] and so on and you can...well, you won't clear encounters just of mooks but most anything else too.

Eloel
2010-02-26, 11:49 AM
Charging and taking out multiple enemies in one turn? Shadowpouncer build. Totemist/Swordsage/Teflammar Shadowlord/Thayan Gladiator is the way to go. Barring that, TWFing Rogue with maxed out SA dice and the Maiming Strike feat from Exemplars of Evil. Anything not immune to Cha damage is dead in one round.

Add Neraph Charge, and you trigger SA when charging. Now you don't need to flank/invisibilify etc.

NEO|Phyte
2010-02-26, 12:21 PM
Hmm, shadowpouncer isn't strictly the sort of thing I'd be after fluffwise, but fluff is mutable. Which books were the PrCs from?

Also, unless Maiming Strike has an exception for targets reaching 0 Cha, they won't be dead, just comatose :smalltongue:

Well, Great Cleave obviously. Empower your charges with Shock Trooper [CWar] and Leap Attack [CAdv]. Get Boots of the Battle Charger [MiC] to ignore difficult terrain on charges. All this combined with the Street Fighter ACF does a ton for ya already. Add Heedless Charge [RoD], Battle Leader's Charge [ToB], Valorous Weapon [UE] and so on and you can...well, you won't clear encounters just of mooks but most anything else too.
Can't combine the ACF with Cleave/Great cleave, sadly. Already got Shock Trooper and Leap Attack, the ability to keep charging if you drop your initial target is useless if you can't drop them. Leap Attack also lets you ignore difficult terrain, presuming you jump over it, so with a sufficiently high jump check (and sufficiently short charge distance), the boots aren't strictly needed. Looked in RoD (Races of Destiny, yes?), didn't see Heedless Charge in the feats section, whereabouts is it? Will look into if I have enough free feats to get ToB stuff, can't multiclass into it very well, what with needing Barb 19 for the key ability to keep charging. Don't think I've got Unapproachable East, if that's what UE is.

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 12:23 PM
Sorry, RoF. Typo (D being next to F and all) -.- It's Races of Faerun. And yeah, UE is Unapproachable East. Valorous just doubles the damage you deal on a charge.

And yeah, I brought up Cleave/Great as an alternative to use when you just need to clear your reach of people.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-26, 12:24 PM
Hmm, shadowpouncer isn't strictly the sort of thing I'd be after fluffwise, but fluff is mutable. Which books were the PrCs from?

Also, unless Maiming Strike has an exception for targets reaching 0 Cha, they won't be dead, just comatose :smalltongue:

Thayan Gladiator is in Champions of Ruin. Teflammar Shadowlord is in Unapproachable East.

And an unconscious enemy is as good as dead.

term1nally s1ck
2010-02-26, 12:28 PM
Valorous, Leap attack, Reckless charge, Heedless Charge, Shock Trooper, Combat Brute, are all ways to boost Single-hit damage.

Valorous is a +1 enchantment that doubles damage on a charge.

Reckless charge is Orc only, but doubles damage on a charge at the cost of making it trigger an AoO from your target. Grab Vampiric in some form, and you don't care.

Rhino's Rush is a spell that doubles damage on a charge. Swift action. Grab a wand, and UMD it yourself.