PDA

View Full Version : Thought.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 12:09 PM
Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell, and other ways to make spells into abilities with no components, remove corruption costs.

*looks at Apocalypse From The Sky, drools*

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-26, 12:10 PM
apocalypse from the sky?

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-26, 12:11 PM
apocalypse from the sky?BoVD spell that rains fiery (or acid-y, or meteor-y) doom on a massive scale. Its corruption cost is normally high enough to kill the caster and/or drive him insane.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-26, 12:14 PM
BoVD spell that rains fiery (or acid-y, or meteor-y) doom on a massive scale. Its corruption cost is normally high enough to kill the caster and/or drive him insane.

hmmm good for a BBEG since it is a corrupt spell... hmm maybe If I change it to work as an incantation or something similar to an epic spell, might be good for a the grand finale of a campaing (scribbles furiously)

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 12:18 PM
hmmm good for a BBEG since it is a corrupt spell... hmm maybe If I change it to work as an incantation or something similar to an epic spell, might be good for a the grand finale of a campaing (scribbles furiously)

Wizards beat you to it. It's mentioned in Elder Evils, which is basically the book on "how to end a campaign spectacularly". The circumstance is that there's an EE that will awaken if there's a big enough slaughter. A deranged Ur-Priest uses AftS to fulfill it by incinerating a couple of cities.

Y'see, it deals 10d6 damage to everything within 10 miles per caster level.

It also is a ninth level spell and has a 1 day casting time, and requires an artifact as a material component, so as written it's basically an incantation already.

The material component and corruption cost are why you'd want it as an SLA or (Su).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-26, 12:21 PM
Wizards beat you to it. It's mentioned in Elder Evils, which is basically the book on "how to end a campaign spectacularly". The circumstance is that there's an EE that will awaken if there's a big enough slaughter. A deranged Ur-Priest uses AftS to fulfill it by incinerating a couple of cities.

Mumble mumble....stupid wizards....ruining all my ideas......mumble mumble

Another reason to get Elder Evils, but are all elder evils aberrations or is there an ultra powerful outsider, you see I am not a big fan of aberrations as BBEG, prefer my classic diabolical/demonic antagonist

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 12:25 PM
Mumble mumble....stupid wizards....ruining all my ideas......mumble mumble

Another reason to get Elder Evils, but are all elder evils aberrations or is there an ultra powerful outsider, you see I am not a big fan of aberrations as BBEG, prefer my classic diabolical/demonic antagonist

The one in question is a planet. A planet that's supposedly the undead remnant of the being that created the universe.

There's also a couple of demons, a being from another dimension that was hired to kill the gods, and a few others. There aren't all that many aberrations, actually.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-26, 12:28 PM
well I can refluff them as outsiders...anyway, I am sure they are not meant to be directly fought against until epic levels, so it doesn't matter if they are outsiders in the fluff

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 12:35 PM
well I can refluff them as outsiders...anyway, I am sure they are not meant to be directly fought against until epic levels, so it doesn't matter if they are outsiders in the fluff

There already ARE a couple. There's Kyuss and Sertrous as actual outsiders (both demon lords IIRC).

And IIRC the Elder Evils are meant to be fought either at very early epic or just sub-epic. Most of the parts you're "meant" to fight have CRs in the low 20s (and given the fact that they're campaign-enders, a few CRs above party level is expected). There are a couple of things that are unstatted in there though, like Pandorym at full power, but those don't show up unless you screw up.

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-26, 12:35 PM
I am sure they are not meant to be directly fought against until epic levels...Actually, some of them are beatable before level ten.

...Elder Evils, which is basically the book on "how to end a campaign spectacularly".It's also more than a tad railroad-y. I'm lookin' at you, dragon encounter in the Father Llymic chapter...

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 12:36 PM
Actually, some of them are beatable before level ten.

Which ones? I haven't examined the statblocks too closely.

It's also more than a tad railroad-y. I'm lookin' at you, dragon encounter in the Father Llymic chapter...

I said it's the book on it, not that it's necessarily a good book on it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-26, 01:00 PM
There already ARE a couple. There's Kyuss and Sertrous as actual outsiders (both demon lords IIRC).

Kyuss? we recently finished a campaing arc concerning some kyuss cultists....hmm. Is my DM planning to set up our party againts him?

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 01:18 PM
Kyuss? we recently finished a campaing arc concerning some kyuss cultists....hmm. Is my DM planning to set up our party againts him?

I wouldn't know. But if you don't get sent to the Tomb of Horrors, you're not playing on the campaign line for Kyuss in Elder Evils.

Y'know the infamous Sphere of Annihilation in Tomb of Horrors? Yeah, in the storyline Kyuss's servants hire the PCs to go to the Tomb of Horrors so they can steal it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-26, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't know. But if you don't get sent to the Tomb of Horrors, you're not playing on the campaign line for Kyuss in Elder Evils.

Y'know the infamous Sphere of Annihilation in Tomb of Horrors? Yeah, in the storyline Kyuss's servants hire the PCs to go to the Tomb of Horrors so they can steal it.

Then I don't think so, we just fought against undead (spawn of kyuss,) some cultists and an ulagastra which from what I understood was the original one created by Kyuss

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 01:22 PM
Then I don't think so, we just fought against undead (spawn of kyuss,) some cultists and an ulagastra which from what I understood was the original one created by Kyuss

Yeah, you can certainly have Spawn of Kyuss without Kyuss being about to show up.

slyfox99
2010-02-26, 01:25 PM
Elder Evils? I am not familiar with this book? Is it 3.5?

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-26, 01:30 PM
Elder Evils? I am not familiar with this book? Is it 3.5?Yes, yes it is.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-26, 01:31 PM
Elder Evils? I am not familiar with this book? Is it 3.5?

Yup. The last sourcebook for 3.5 I believe. It's about apocalyptic threats to existence fit to end a campaign with.

faceroll
2010-02-26, 04:13 PM
I like Elder Evils. It stole my idea about a dead moon that reanimates corpses, though. :smallmad: