PDA

View Full Version : Need a cool name for an Adventuring Guild

HunterOfJello
2010-02-26, 12:17 PM
I need a name for a cool adventuring guild that is going to attempt to recruit my players. What are some names you've used in the past or think are cool?

Zeta Kai
2010-02-26, 12:33 PM
The Last Chance Lancers
The Walkers in the Wind
Chaleduma's Revenge
The Final Hope
The Black Wings
The Doom from the Sky
The Order of the Glaive
The Dark Legacy
The Coming Wave
The Raining Spears

Everyman
2010-02-26, 12:39 PM
Got a purpose in mind for this guild? Are we talking about bounty hunting, a holy order, or something completely different? It would help a little bit to know more about their purpose, since a name should help reflect the attitude and theme of a guild. Helps tie in people's attention.

That said, I'm going to throw in a few.

Order of the First Dawn
Order of Dragons
The Guilded Compass

And the ever popular secret/thieves guild...The Hushed.

Shyftir
2010-02-26, 12:42 PM
Well it depends on the style of adventuring guild.

Are they a small group of adventurers who have made a name for themselves and are now growing an organization around themselves? (1)

Are they a business-like organization? (2)

Are they a holy/political order? (3)

A former (or current) military/mercenary unit? (4)

All these groups would have different sorts of names, for example:

1) The Stone Lions, The Heroes of Winter Ridge, The Black Foxes

2) The Pathbeaters, Macguffin's Recovery Service (you can't have that one its mine), Acquisitions Inc.

3) The Order of the White Rose, The Brotherhood of Vandhalia, The Purple Dragon Knights

4) The Last Chance Brigade, The 4th Antari Rangers, Hagdren's Horde

There are lots of other possibilities. Give the guild a history and a name will come naturally.

Edit: To the people who ninjah'd me. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

Fawsto
2010-02-26, 12:50 PM
Choose a name based on something the guild members did that was important. It works wonders with characters as well, take my cleric who recently smote a lot of werewolfs and worgs:

Svarr the Wolfhammer.

Godskook
2010-02-26, 12:56 PM
To make blatant reference to a webcomic: The Serial Peacemakers.

HunterOfJello
2010-02-26, 01:09 PM
Well it depends on the style of adventuring guild.

Are they a small group of adventurers who have made a name for themselves and are now growing an organization around themselves? (1)

Are they a business-like organization? (2)

Are they a holy/political order? (3)

A former (or current) military/mercenary unit? (4)

All these groups would have different sorts of names, for example:

1) The Stone Lions, The Heroes of Winter Ridge, The Black Foxes

2) The Pathbeaters, Macguffin's Recovery Service (you can't have that one its mine), Acquisitions Inc.

3) The Order of the White Rose, The Brotherhood of Vandhalia, The Purple Dragon Knights

4) The Last Chance Brigade, The 4th Antari Rangers, Hagdren's Horde

There are lots of other possibilities. Give the guild a history and a name will come naturally.

Edit: To the people who ninjah'd me. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

1. Large group that already exists and is well known.

2. Guild works as a business but is very relaxed when off the job

3. Not political, not holy

4. Not a mercenary group

More of a guild that takes on contracts for money and will do all sorts of monster slaying/investigating/exploring/whatever.

Also, generally NG/CG in alignment.

BobVosh
2010-02-26, 01:18 PM
1. Large group that already exists and is well known.

2. Guild works as a business but is very relaxed when off the job

3. Not political, not holy

4. Not a mercenary group

More of a guild that takes on contracts for money and will do all sorts of monster slaying/investigating/exploring/whatever.

Also, generally NG/CG in alignment.

Seems kinda like a mercenary group...

Coin Collectors Club is my favorite for general adventurer group.

Godskook
2010-02-26, 01:37 PM
4. Not a mercenary group

That, by definition, is a mercenary group. They get a bad rap cause they decide their jobs based on money, but a mercenary group can still be about the greater good. Hell, if the "A Team" took money for their help(can't remember if they did atm), they'd be a great pop-culture example of mercenaries.

absolmorph
2010-02-26, 02:01 PM
I've always thought that Linear Guild would be a good name for a guild of adventurers.
See, it's funny 'cause people assume that adventures always have railroading. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle0t9r68ih?from=Main.DontExplainTheJoke)
I'm sorry.

Guy-Nightbeast
2010-02-26, 02:17 PM
Well, here's my two bits, though I suspect they are worthless

Hunters Inc.
Desperado Company
HFH (Heroes for Hire)

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-26, 02:20 PM
NG/CG mercenary-ish types, hmm?

The Shining Tide of Freedom, more sea or river based.
The Wildflower Knights, for something nature-ey.
The Golden Guard OR The Silver Swords, makes it quite clear what they do.

A "The [adjective] [noun] (nouns) (of [adjective])" format, with bracketed sections optional, tends to do well. At least to think of something quickly.

Edit: More.:smallwink:

Dawn Templars of Righteousness, The Cleansers, Battle Angels of Great and Holy Justice and The Might of the [Hills/Plains/Barren/Waves/Clouds/Forests/Fens/Vaults/Hollows, for Hill, Plains, Desert, Aquatic, Mountainous, Forest, Marsh, Urban and Underground terrains, respectively (though I'm sure you can come up with better words for each)]

Shyftir
2010-02-26, 02:37 PM
Well from what you said. the use of the term guild or order or lodge might be appropriate.

They need to sound useful and interesting, maybe mixed with a place name.

The Fortune City Guild, The Monetary Order, The Foundation

The Legends Club, Legendary Swords Guild, The League of the Red Dragon

The Archeologist Society, Avandra's Chosen, Solutions Inc.

So it's a fairly large organization teams get jobs through the "guild" and then perform "adventures" for money? It really does sound like a mercenaries guild. Just not a "mercenary company" kind of thing. So yeah use a more generic(ish) name for the over reaching organization and let your group come up with their own "team" name.

deuxhero
2010-02-26, 02:44 PM
Anything your group has done that people would think of when thinking about you (slaying this dragon, clearing out that dungeon, destroying an army of zombies)

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-26, 02:46 PM
We had a guild of flamboyant swashbucklers called the Order of Mauve Dragons (note: the leader was a Half-Purple Dragon Half-Fey who wielded an even courtblade made from the fang of his father)

The Demented One
2010-02-26, 02:47 PM
The Guild. Classy. Refined. Adventure.

dragonfan6490
2010-02-27, 01:46 PM
I've always thought that Linear Guild would be a good name for a guild of adventurers.
See, it's funny 'cause people assume that adventures always have railroading. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle0t9r68ih?from=Main.DontExplainTheJoke)
I'm sorry.

Gah. I just got back, had to go through a dozen or so pages first, but I did it.

Also. I see what you did there. Its funny because not all adventures have railroading even though people assume they do. :smallbiggrin:

Arti3
2010-02-27, 01:56 PM
Hall of Heroes?

BruteSquad01
2010-02-27, 01:58 PM
In my homebrew setting, the adventurer's guild is a part of the bureaucracy of the vast Empire, that spans much of the globe, and has a very bureaucrat-tastic name:

The Imperial Registry of Independent Itinerant Agents.

Local offices are usually just referred to as the Registry House, for short.