PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Strike as a Monk?

Coy
2010-02-26, 02:36 PM
I suppose i am asking for RAW interpretation for a monk's belt.

Lets say a cleric gets a monks belt. How is his Unarmed strike improved beyond damage?

Does he provoke and AoO for attacking?
Does he gain flurry benefits?
Does he gain bonus BAB as a monk of level 5?

etc etc.

DarkSetzer
2010-02-26, 02:40 PM
If you don't have any monk levels, all you get is the AC bonus, and unarmed strike damage, of a 5th level monk. Nothing else.

So...said cleric would get... +1 AC, and do 1d8 damage with unarmed strikes

Curmudgeon
2010-02-26, 02:40 PM
It's just the damage; nothing else.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-26, 02:43 PM
However, it is the favored item of Monks everywhere, especially my Foundling Monk (advertising)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-26, 02:44 PM
It's just the damage; nothing else.

Right. No Flurry, and No Improved Unarmed Strike (so can't threaten and no lethal damage without taking a penalty).

Curmudgeon
2010-02-26, 03:40 PM
If you can afford a Monk's Belt, you should add Bracers of Striking, which grant you the Improved Unarmed Strike feat; they're only 1,310 gp (Magic of Faerūn).

Xenogears
2010-02-26, 05:30 PM
If you don't have any monk levels, all you get is the AC bonus, and unarmed strike damage, of a 5th level monk. Nothing else.

So...said cleric would get... +1 AC, and do 1d8 damage with unarmed strikes

He'd also get Wis to AC IIRC. Thats fairly nice for a cleric if he wasn't gonna wear armor anyway.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-26, 06:43 PM
He'd also get Wis to AC IIRC.
How does this answer the question:
How is his Unarmed strike improved beyond damage?
{Scrubbed}

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-26, 07:47 PM
Lets say a cleric gets a monks belt. How is his Unarmed strike improved beyond damage?
Mu. A Monk's Belt only improves a character's unarmed strike by increasing its damage. Nothing explicitly says this, but it would be impossible for the books to list everything that things don't do, so things are generally assumed not to do things that they aren't said to do.

Greenish
2010-02-26, 08:41 PM
How does this answer the question:
{Scrubbed}That wasn't the only question. He wanted to know what you get from Monk's Belt by RAW:
I suppose i am asking for RAW interpretation for a monk's belt.

Does he provoke and AoO for attacking?
Does he gain flurry benefits?
Does he gain bonus BAB as a monk of level 5?

etc etc.And the answers to all those questions, in order, are:

Not at all.
Yes.
No.
No.

And for the "etc. etc.", Monk's Belt also gives Wis to AC.