PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] viable psionic monk?

dobu
2010-02-26, 06:25 PM
hey guys.

how strong would you say is a githzerai monk 3/psychic warrior 2*/Zerth cenobite 10**

LA buyoff is allowed.

* talashatora feat is used for psychic warrior and the mantled warrior ACF from some mind eyes article is used (pain and suffering mantle)
** zerth zenobite is reworked as a 9/10 manifesting progressing prc (instead of getting an own mainfesting) which progesses monk abilities (including flurry of blows).

is this viable?

Signmaker
2010-02-26, 06:29 PM
Pack about 30 stones of ML3 Synchronicity. You should be set.

And yes, Monk with "I get shinies" is better than just a monk.

Pluto
2010-02-26, 06:48 PM
is this viable?
What level?

Past level 8, it would hold up in most games I play, but I think it could be improved.

I'd go either Talashatora or Zerth Cenobite. Once you have one, the other ceases to be worthwhile.

Talashatora with Psychic Warrior levels instead of ZC levels would replace the ZC's two 1/day abilities with 2 more powers known, more PP and 3 bonus feats.

ZC levels progressing Ardent instead of Psychic Warrior would get you hundreds more PP, 9th level powers and 3 Mantle abilities at the cost of proficiencies and two feats.

(I'm assuming Gith is for flavor purposes)

The Glyphstone
2010-02-26, 08:46 PM
Zerth Cenobite...that's the PrC that lets you punch people so hard they time travel into the future (Time Hop), right? Not very practical, but so awesome.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-26, 08:58 PM
Zerth Cenobite...that's the PrC that lets you punch people so hard they time travel into the future (Time Hop), right? Not very practical, but so awesome.

They're basically Discworld's History Monks.

Runestar
2010-02-26, 09:19 PM
I never really liked the zenobite, as I found their 1/day abilities way too limiting. They would be fine as an npc who gets to spam them all in combat before going down, but as a PC who has to ration them over the course of the entire day? :smallyuk:

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-26, 10:28 PM
You'd have to take Talashtora twice: once for psychic warrior, and again for Zerth cenobite. Otherwise, you only get 5 levels of monk/psychic warrior and that hardly helps your monk progression at all.

You're better off using either monk 2 (or 3)/psychic warrior 18 (or 17), or replacing psychic warrior in that equation with ardent.

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-27, 12:32 AM
You'd have to take Talashtora twice: once for psychic warrior, and again for Zerth cenobite. Otherwise, you only get 5 levels of monk/psychic warrior and that hardly helps your monk progression at all.

You're better off using either monk 2 (or 3)/psychic warrior 18 (or 17), or replacing psychic warrior in that equation with ardent.

Hunh? Zerth Cenobite allows you to increase your Monk abilities...

Also, agree on Ardent. Try and get Practiced Manifester so you can begin with a good set of powers, then attempt either Time or Freedom Mantle. Get more mantles on the way, ones that compliment your powers. Also, you already get Inertial Armor so there's no need to get it as a power (unless you want it augmented, but then again there's Thicken Skin for that).

Telok
2010-02-27, 02:40 AM
I don't know about Talashtora or Zerth cenobite but at one time I worked this progression up for a psi-monk. I won't claim that it's anywhere near optimal, just... interesting. You're welcome to skim ideas from it, I never got to play it so I don't know how well it holds up in an actual game.

class bab feat
1 monk 0 Stunning Fist Wild Talent
2 monk 1 Monastic Training evasion
3 monk 2 Fists of Iron still mind
4 psi war 2 Two-Weapon
5 psi war 3 wf: unarmed strike
6 psi war 4 Superior Unarmed Strike
7 psi fist 4
8 psi fist 5
9 psi fist 6 Snap Kick

Hammer: Melee touch attack deals 1d8/round.
Force Screen: Invisible disc provides +4 shield bonus to AC.
Strength of My Enemy: Siphon away enemy’s strength to grow stronger.
Inertial Armor: field of force provides you with +4 armor bonus to AC.
Expansion: Become one size category larger.
Psionic Lion’s Charge: You make full attack in same round you charge.

@9 bab 6/1+twf+snap+flurry = 4att@+0 &1att@-2
Hammer: 1d8 no Str, touch + Str transfer!
base 2d6, Expansion 3d6 +fists iron = 4d6 & 10' reach

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 02:46 AM
You need 6 levels before entering Zerth Cenobite. Frankly, I'd say you're better off just running the normal Monk2/18PsyW with Tashalatora, as I really dislike 1/day abilities.

dobu
2010-02-27, 06:45 AM
thx all, i'll have a look at the ardent then.

i would like to keep the zerth cenobite, because the flavor is just awesome. with ardent base manifesting, this could give me an interesting charakter.

i will top it off with slayer levels and talk the DM into allowing talashtora to stack monk level with manifester level (instead of class level).
:-)

Amphetryon
2010-02-27, 07:42 AM
Look up the Test of Spite Monk fix by the Penny Dreadfuls. It has built-in psionic support.