PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 or 4?

Pokachi
2010-02-26, 07:02 PM
Well my friends have had a group going with my friends' siblings for a while now, and they have a 3.5 group going. My friends decided to break off and them and I are going to get our group going. I am DMing and I was wondering whether we should invest in new books for 4e in order to stay with the trend, or just stick with 3.5 and maybe wait till there is more for 4e? Thanks! I am quite uneducated on this so some good details would be appreciated.

Kylarra
2010-02-26, 07:10 PM
Well first off, there's already more than enough for 4e to have fun and play lots of games. If you're not sure, then come up with $9.99 (or whatever the DDI cost is now), get a one month subscription to DDI, fully update your character builder, download the adventure tools, and you're set with everything modern for 4e at your fingertips. The monster builder will give you quick access to the stats of any monster you need and charbuilder will have every book loaded in with errata.

Ultimately, just play what you want to play. There's enough in 4e to have fun, and for $10 you'll have effective access to all the crunchy parts of 4e.

ericgrau
2010-02-26, 07:11 PM
What trend? You might have noticed that most people here play 3.5.

Anyway the two are quite different, and it really is a matter of preference. 3.5 is more detailed, sometimes to the point of pain and confusion, and provides a lot more options. 4e is simpler but provides less variation and less verisimilitude. While it still retains a lot of the RPG aspects and you won't be short on conversations with the NPCs, 4e is more "gamey" than 3.5. Like a board game, card game or video game. That comes with advantages and disadvantage.

drawingfreak
2010-02-26, 07:12 PM
If you want something that feels a little more real...go with 3.5e.

If you want over the top awesome action and adventure (I would compare it to the feeling I get when watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann), go with 4e.

If you want something easy to improve but long prep time, 3.5e.

If you want easy prep time and don't plan to improve much, 4e.

It all depends on you and your players.

Kylarra
2010-02-26, 07:14 PM
If you want something that feels a little more real...go with 3.5e.

If you want over the top awesome action and adventure (I would compare it to the feeling I get when watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann), go with 4e.

If you want something easy to improve but long prep time, 3.5e.

If you want easy prep time and don't plan to improve much, 4e.

It all depends on you and your players.Those are odd sentiments to say the least. The only thing I get out of that as actually being relevant is that 4e is easier to prep for as a DM, which it is.

oxybe
2010-02-26, 07:17 PM
well, for a one-time investment of 10$ you can get one month of DDi. it's a downloaded directly on your so it stays even after the month is over. i contains all the crunch of 4th ed up until now. you also get full access to the back issues of dungeon, dragon, ect... for 10$ you really can't go wrong.

now, if you want a free test drive, check my sig for free stuff. there's a demo version of the builder, a few modules & some pre-mades.

personally i'm a 4th ed guy, so i'm biased. i got tired of a lot of the stuff like linear fighters/quadratic wizards, high level caster shenanigans, or subsystems that popped up only occasionally and slowed the game to a halt. i'll still play 3rd, but never again DM it unless i had no other choice for a game.

4th ed streamlined the system while keeping more then enough variety in play to keep me happy & occupied and still feels quite like the D&D i grew up and fell in love with 12-13 years ago

Mando Knight
2010-02-26, 07:18 PM
I am DMing and I was wondering whether we should invest in new books for 4e in order to stay with the trend, or just stick with 3.5 and maybe wait till there is more for 4e?

If you have cash and/or need books, then go ahead and get 4e if you like the edition. There's plenty of material out already, far more than you could reasonably expect to use in a single campaign.

If you've never played 4e before, it's different from 3.5, so download the Quick Start (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/TryDnD.aspx) stuff so you can try before you buy. In the end, pick the one you like, and don't troll people who like the other edition(s).

Pokachi
2010-02-26, 07:18 PM
thank you, I prefer more roleplaying the hack n slash, so from what you said I would guess that is more 3.5e? Price isn't really an issue because either way we will be buying new books, because the already purchased books are being used by the old group still, same night. 4.0e obviously I would assume has many more resources being published now, but 3.5e has more pre-existing ones? More info is always nice =P

Pluto
2010-02-26, 07:19 PM
If you already have an active group, why spend more money just to tweak the rules?

edit:
Um, 3.5 hacks and slashes just as hard as 4e. It's completely group-reliant either way.

Kylarra
2010-02-26, 07:22 PM
thank you, I prefer more roleplaying the hack n slash, so from what you said I would guess that is more 3.5e? Price isn't really an issue because either way we will be buying new books, because the already purchased books are being used by the old group still, same night. 4.0e obviously I would assume has many more resources being published now, but 3.5e has more pre-existing ones? More info is always nice =P
Roleplaying is not system specific...

Yes, 3.X has more splatbooks currently. This is neither a plus nor a minus unless you plan on purchasing every single one of them.

In terms of starting fresh with full material, 4e has the much simpler and much easier to reference DDI subscription which will give you a permanently updated character builder and adventure tools as of the month you buy the subscription.

ericgrau
2010-02-26, 07:24 PM
You can hack and slash just as much in 3.5, and many groups do, or you can disarm the guy or you can distract him with an illusion of a giant talking stuffed bunny. Or etc. Or grapple, which people love and hate. Point is you have a lot more options in 3.5e, which can be a blessing or a curse. Pick the edition that best fits your style.

As for roleplaying, you can roleplay in either edition. Some special abilities in 4e break verisimilitude a little more than other fantasy games, but most groups don't roleplay at the same time as these. If all you do is chit chat with NPCs for your roleplay then there'll be absolutely no difference.

Pokachi
2010-02-26, 07:27 PM
Thanks! I will discuss it more with my friend tonight, but I am well enough educated. I shall talk to you all latez

oxybe
2010-02-26, 07:31 PM

i would say 4th ed is far more RP friendly, but then again RP is edition neutral. i can RP without a system.

verisimilitude is in the central eye of the beholder also. either way you're going to be suspending disbelief: whether you're playing 3.5 or 4th ed, D&D is the game where the elven princess battles the tentacle poop monster with magical rainbows while riding a unicorn. neither one is more realistic then the other, 3rd ed just has more corner case rules in place while 4th ed says to wing it.

Koury
2010-02-26, 07:34 PM
I've been inspired.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/dino1.jpg

Pokachi
2010-02-26, 07:36 PM
I've been inspired.

and have I

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 07:40 PM
I've been inspired.

You sir, win an internet.

Congrats.

oxybe
2010-02-26, 07:42 PM
I've been inspired.

F*** YEAH! ANKYLOSAUR!

because the ankylosaur is the dwarf of the dinosaurs. short, squat, plated & wields a big old hammer.

and dwarves are naturally awesome.

i second the win of an internet. motion carried.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-26, 07:43 PM
Every time somebody uses the word "verisimilitude" or "realism" to describe an RPG game, God kills a kitten.

Koury
2010-02-26, 07:46 PM
Hmm, my first internet. What should I do with it? :smallbiggrin:

Apparently I need to actually make the things I think of more often.

oxybe
2010-02-26, 07:49 PM

that has potential for an image macro. cute kid doing things cute kids do + 2 opposing sides colliding (ignoring that they are both plant eaters) in a thunderous debate = potential macro.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-26, 07:53 PM
{Scrubbed}

Kallisti
2010-02-26, 07:54 PM

Don't forget that all internets come with a complimentary cookie, soda, and pack of pretzels.

Koury
2010-02-26, 07:58 PM
that has potential for an image macro. cute kid doing things cute kids do + 2 opposing sides colliding (ignoring that they are both plant eaters) in a thunderous debate = potential macro.

I dont even know what I'd do if something I made started getting posted by others. Thatd be cool :smallredface:

Don't forget that all internets come with a complimentary cookie, soda, and pack of pretzels.

Oh yay! Google + paint + 10 seconds = so much win!

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 07:59 PM
{Scrubbed}

Please, please tell me you are just poking fun.

Kurald Galain
2010-02-26, 08:03 PM
If you want over the top awesome action and adventure, go with Exalted.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-26, 08:04 PM
Please, please tell me you are just poking fun.

No. 4th edition is too weird for me.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-26, 08:07 PM
Every time somebody uses the word "verisimilitude" or "realism" to describe an RPG game, God kills a kitten.

may I sig?

Oracle_Hunter
2010-02-26, 08:30 PM
N.B. after your 1 month of DDI ($9.99) you'll probably want to buy a PHB I and DMG, since you can't (IIRC) download the Rules Compendium. But I'm sure you can probably pick up Dr.Epic's books real cheap :smalltongue:

slyfox99
2010-02-26, 08:44 PM
I'm a fan of 4e for a few reasons, all a matter of taste and necessity relating to me.

1) 4e is easier to prep. By the same tokens, since I play with my two kids in the group and my gf, who is a newbie to rpgs as well, 4e is simpler for them to understand.

2) I am not so into all the number crunching that seems to be needed for 3.5.

3) Being older and nearsighted, I find some of the 3.5 books I've tried to read are difficult to see, due to the overly arty layout. In other words, when the print is one shade off of the page color, I usually can't read it, even with glasses on. I like the layout on the 4e books a lot better. Again, a matter of personal taste and necessity...

4) I like the magic system better in 4e, mostly that a lot of what used to be spells are now rituals, which makes sense to me.

Eldan
2010-02-26, 08:46 PM
No. 4th edition is too weird for me.

And you say a game where this:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG243.jpg

Is in the core monster book is any less weird? Believe me, I love 3.5 and don't like 4E much either, but 3.5 is weird as hell.

oxybe
2010-02-26, 08:51 PM
3) Being older and nearsighted, I find some of the 3.5 books I've tried to read are difficult to see, due to the overly arty layout. In other words, when the print is one shade off of the page color, I usually can't read it, even with glasses on. I like the layout on the 4e books a lot better. Again, a matter of personal taste and necessity...

that i have to agree with, and i'm only 24. the "yellowish parchment thing" like layout, that kinda looks like this (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ph35_gallery/PHB35_PG133_WEB.jpg) might look neat, but overlay some small black text on top of it and the image and it will give me a headache.

slyfox99
2010-02-26, 08:57 PM
I also thought I ought to add that for 4e (and most likely for 3.5 as well) massive discounts can be had at that online book seller which is named after a major South American river. I just got 4e Manual of the Planes for $7.34 + $5 shipping and handling. I got PHB2 and MM2for $20 and change + S&H as well.

Juat in case anyone didnt know...

Raiki
2010-02-26, 09:26 PM
{Scrubbed}

Yes. You should trust Dr. Epic; for he is both a Doctor, and Epic. You should never argue with anyone who is either of those things.

~R~

Talya
2010-02-26, 09:33 PM
Seconded to the person who suggested exalted...

Anyway, 4e is a board game. I am not suggesting you cannot roleplay, or that 3.5 is somehow more condusive to roleplaying. I am saying that 4e is a tactical/strategic game where your actions are only slightly less constrained than they would be if you were playing a single chess peice. To use an analogy of an awesome computer game, 4e characters feel a lot like Dragon Age characters. You have some very specific abilities and you click a button to make them work. This is fine some of the time, but it's not really my cup of tea for tabletop gaming.

3.5 lets you do almost anything you can think of doing, and have almost any abilities you can think of having.

Almost. Exalted still lets you do more.

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-26, 09:37 PM
My understanding of the two editions is that 3.5 more pretended to be balanced and realistic while actually being neither, whereas 4E more is balanced but doesn't really pretend to be realistic. Basically.

If you want over the top awesome action and adventure, go with Exalted.
And if you want realism, play GURPS, and if you want rules-light, play Risus, etc. (These may not actually be the best systems for those playstyles. I'm not an expert.)

If you want a sort of half-assed compromise between various opposed extremes that attempts to be all things to all people, play D&D.

{Scrubbed}
But... that's not a point of contrast. 3.5 is crazy-go-nuts ridiculous. A bit like a small child waving a cardboard sword: cute, but you'd never mistake that for an actual knight; the very notion is preposterous. Despite that, 3.5 can still be used to run a serious game, but so can 4E.

Shpadoinkle
2010-02-26, 09:45 PM
{Scrubbed}

Talya
2010-02-26, 09:47 PM
{Scrubbed}

Vulkarius
2010-02-26, 10:31 PM
If you grew up with 3.5 and loved it obviously nothing is going to compare to it. Don't immediately think of 4e as a board game because that's all you'll get out of it. When you go in with pre conceived notions you only get what you limit yourself to. I'm not saying either is better I'm just saying be open minded. Just because 4e does not have EVERY rule for EVERY occasion does not mean you are limited to what is written. If you want to RP then you can, it is up to the DMs and the PCs to play the game and live in that world not the books.

oxybe
2010-02-26, 10:34 PM
{Scrubbed}

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-26, 10:35 PM
Heh. According to one poster in a thread so old that it's been purged, 3E doesn't feel like D&D at all, and is in fact an entirely different game with the name "Dungeons & Dragons" tacked on. Just goes to show, the more editions change, the more things stay the same. :smallbiggrin:

Fortuna
2010-02-26, 10:40 PM
And you say a game where this:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG243.jpg

Is in the core monster book is any less weird? Believe me, I love 3.5 and don't like 4E much either, but 3.5 is weird as hell.

Ummm.... what is that?

Vulkarius
2010-02-26, 10:41 PM
{Scrubbed}

interesting side note: Hyperboles are the greatest invention ever!

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-26, 10:43 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: There are at least couple posts in this thread that border on trolling. Thread locked for review - and given that the OP seems to have gotten all he needed, it's not coming back.