PDA

View Full Version : Messing with hybrids, looking for some help (4e)

Blazen
2010-02-26, 08:07 PM
So I have been playing around with the CB and have made like 20 characters. I especially like Hybrid characters. I have notice though that it is generally a good idea to use a 16, 16 array over 18, 14 for hybrids. Anyways here are some of my creations:

Half-orc Ranger/Barb: 20, 11, 16, 8, 10, 10

Changeling Bard/Warlock(fey): 10, 11, 10, 16, 8, 20

Dragonborn Paladin/Sorcerer: 18, 10, 11, 8, 10, 19

Longtooth Ranger/Warden: 20, 10, 13, 10, 15, 8

I plan on making a Warforged battlerager Fighter/Barb, but that is later. Right now the main thing that I am working on is this:

Longtooth Paladin/Avenger: 18, 10, 11, 8, 18, 13

The Avenger seems to have gotten the short end of the striker stick while the Paladin has been said to work well as a striker/defender so it seems right to me. With high Str, and Wis I can work both their powers, but I could use some help. Any recommendations?

Kurald Galain
2010-02-26, 08:20 PM
I have notice though that it is generally a good idea to use a 16, 16 array over 18, 14 for hybrids.
I tend to disagree. I would try to take matching primary stats, and then put an 18 there. And indeed, most of the examples you post are 20/16 or 18/18.

I've found it's quite easy to end up with a combination that doesn't work well, though. Some of the classics like fighter/wizard are obvious choices but not very good ones.

The Avenger seems to have gotten the short end of the striker stick while the Paladin has been said to work well as a striker/defender so it seems right to me.
I don't think that synergizes well. The main attraction of the avenger is multiclassing into it to get that double-roll ability, but that doesn't work with hybrids.

Blazen
2010-02-26, 08:29 PM
If you can get classes that rely on the same primary and secondary then the 18, 14 is preferable, but for some classes this can be hard to do.

Also, while you can now only use Oath with Avenger powers from hybrids, it does present other bonuses, such as higher AC, and some powerful Paladin attacks.

Blazen
2010-02-28, 10:28 AM
Change of plans, I am making a hybrid Barbarian/Bard. Race? Purple Dragonborn named Barney.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-28, 02:32 PM
Change of plans, I am making a hybrid Barbarian/Bard. Race? Purple Dragonborn named Barney.

Epic. Do it. Do it NOW!

Excession
2010-02-28, 06:10 PM
I've found it's quite easy to end up with a combination that doesn't work well, though. Some of the classics like fighter/wizard are obvious choices but not very good ones.

I've actually got an interesting Fighter|Wizard build, although it may rely on convincing your DM that the Staff Fighting feat lets you treat your quarterstaff implement as offhand and therefor apply the Tempest Technique bonuses. Here's the build at level 6 when the feats come together:

Storm, level 6
Genasi, Fighter|Wizard
Hybrid Talent: Fighter Combat Talent
Fighter Combat Talent: Tempest Technique
Elemental Manifestation: Stormsoul

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 19, Wis 13, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 20 Reflex: 19 Will: 16
HP: 48 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
History +12, Athletics +12, Arcana +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +5, Heal +4, Insight +4, Intimidate +2, Nature +6, Perception +4, Religion +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3

FEATS
Level 1: Elemental Empowerment
Level 2: Staff Fighting
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Armor Proficiency (Leather)

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Thunderwave
Hybrid at-will 1: Dual Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Burning Hands
Hybrid daily 1: Flaming Sphere
Hybrid utility 2: Shield
Hybrid encounter 3: Funneling Flurry
Hybrid daily 5: Bedeviling Assault
Hybrid utility 6: Agile Approach

ITEMS
Retribution Quarterstaff +2, Amulet of Life +1, Gambler's Suit Leather Armor +2

At level 6, Thunderwave has a +10 attack bonus and hits for 1d6+12 including +2 enhancement bonus and Tempest Technique offhand bonuses. Throw in Promise of Storm from being a Storm Genasi and you can add another 1d8 for two turns per encounter. Next feat is probably Enlarge Spell.

I don't know if this counts as good, but it might be interesting to try. There's a good chance you'd do the same thing better with a Barb|Sorc.

Blazen
2010-02-28, 07:06 PM
A Barbarian/sorc seems like the better choice since they share ability scores, in that case I would go Dragonborn Dragonsoul Barb/Sorc with a Waraxe, or Bastard sword in one hand, and a dagger in the other.

Also, here is barney

Barney, level 1
Dragonborn, Barbarian|Bard
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Reflex
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 13 Fort: 15 Reflex: 11 Will: 14
HP: 31 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +9, Intimidate +11, Streetwise +9, Athletics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +1, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering, Endurance +1, Heal, History +3, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion +1, Stealth, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Mordenkrad)

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Cutting Words
Hybrid at-will 1: Howling Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Focused Sound
Hybrid daily 1: Life Thane Rage

ITEMS
Mordenkrad, Adventurer's Kit, Hide Armor