PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Chow!

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-26, 10:16 PM
Let's face it, nothing works up an appetite like kicking beholder behind (do the have those?), or skinning dragons to make new cod-pieces.
So, how do you keep your guest's well fed when they come to your place?

I find at least four litters of coke, two pringles and some good dip keep em nice and fat (although if the dip is to good, it becomes a break for eating) :smallbiggrin:

Last Laugh
2010-02-26, 10:32 PM
Our group is quite spoiled. D&D is hosted at the house of an excellent cook. half of the group is vegetarian or vegan, and because of this we have a variety of delicious foods. We almost always have chips or some snacky foods (lollipops and corn chips ^^). Also a stew or lasagna or something wonderful. I love my group.

Dr Bwaa
2010-02-26, 10:37 PM
I find at least four litters of coke, two pringles and some good dip keep em nice and fat (although if the dip is to good, it becomes a break for eating) :smallbiggrin:

One litter of coke (and four guys & a box):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/lordhenry4000/coke_litter_carry.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-26, 10:47 PM
One litter of coke (and four guys & a box):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/lordhenry4000/coke_litter_carry.jpg
:smallbiggrin:

O dear god in heaven, i lolled my head off xD

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-26, 10:51 PM
Back when I had a group to play with on a regular basis, much snackage was always on hand.

One player had a habit of bringing these really soft, frosting-intensive sugar cookies from the grocery store. They were kind of disgusting, actually... giant, spongy, moist mini-cakes they were, practically, with a 1/2 inch of pink frosting. Enough to give you a diabetic coma with a single bite.

Still, one would wind up eating two or three of them. We... fidgeted a lot.

Dr Bwaa
2010-02-26, 10:57 PM
On topic, our group enjoys a small amount of alcohol (makes RP more entertaining in a highly chaotic party), or (in a more serious game) the standard fare of <tons of sugary snacks> and <whatever we pick up at 2am at the 7-11> amounts to load of energy and ridiculous grease puddles in stomachs. Thumbs-up!

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-26, 11:50 PM
We usually have soft drink and pizza, but we did promise ourselves that when we played D&D we would have mead. And I happen to have some mead.

Thrawn183
2010-02-27, 03:05 AM
We used to order out a lot. Unfortunately, few could agree. Then I started just slapping people upside the head. They didn't like that very much. I told them I didn't like them taking half an hour to an hour on deciding what to order.

We have now settled on thinking about what to order while waiting for everyone to arrive. I no longer need to slap fools up side their heads. Everyone has profited.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-27, 03:37 AM
We used to order out a lot. Unfortunately, few could agree. Then I started just slapping people upside the head. They didn't like that very much. I told them I didn't like them taking half an hour to an hour on deciding what to order.

We have now settled on thinking about what to order while waiting for everyone to arrive. I no longer need to slap fools up side their heads. Everyone has profited.

Oh you'd absolutely hate me. I never order on time. I take too long to decide.

Keld Denar
2010-02-27, 04:13 AM
One player had a habit of bringing these really soft, frosting-intensive sugar cookies from the grocery store. They were kind of disgusting, actually... giant, spongy, moist mini-cakes they were, practically, with a 1/2 inch of pink frosting. Enough to give you a diabetic coma with a single bite.

Yea, those would be Lofthouse cookies. Dreadfully deadly, those little beasties are. Terrible things that nobody should ever eat...om nomomomomom.

I'm fortunate to play at the house of a guy married to the most awesomestestestest wife ever. We barely sit down at the gaming table before she's covered it with a veggie tray (with RANCH!), a plate of sliced cheese, a plate of sliced summer sausage, and a bowl of assorted crackers. A couple times there were grapes and apple slices with more cheese (yummy!), and typically later in the game she'll break out smaller bowls of homemade trail mix.

Have I mentioned that I LOVE playing at their house?

Demented
2010-02-27, 04:22 AM
Oh you'd absolutely hate me. I never order on time. I take too long to decide.

I believe the moral of his story is that your indecision can be fixed with a few good slaps up the head.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-27, 04:35 AM
I believe the moral of his story is that your indecision can be fixed with a few good slaps up the head.

Then you don't know me.:smalltongue:

Gnorman
2010-02-27, 06:28 AM
Yea, those would be Lofthouse cookies. Dreadfully deadly, those little beasties are. Terrible things that nobody should ever eat...om nomomomomom.

I'm fortunate to play at the house of a guy married to the most awesomestestestest wife ever. We barely sit down at the gaming table before she's covered it with a veggie tray (with RANCH!), a plate of sliced cheese, a plate of sliced summer sausage, and a bowl of assorted crackers. A couple times there were grapes and apple slices with more cheese (yummy!), and typically later in the game she'll break out smaller bowls of homemade trail mix.

Have I mentioned that I LOVE playing at their house?

Can I play at her house too?

DabblerWizard
2010-02-27, 08:49 AM
My previous group would snack a bit, with soda and cookies and such, but usually we'd just order out, and thankfully most people in the group weren't very indecisive.

Interestingly enough, though we were all 21+, we never drank alcohol during the game.

Gnaeus
2010-02-27, 08:53 AM
My group had a tendency to smoke non tobacco herbal substances during the game. As a consequence, there was never food in their house, and we were always hungry. I quickly fell into the habit of bringing food (for everyone) and drinks (for myself).

alisbin
2010-02-27, 09:49 AM
i always bring wintergreen lifesavers and my bucket hat to gaming meets and a few other people will bring hard (and sometimes soft) candy, its kinda become a thing to load my hat with a pile of candy before we start every session. foodwise, i almost always bring a bagel, cream cheese and maybe a muffin for myself and one other guy always brings a hoagie. for drinks a few of us bring water and the rest grab a soda from a vending machine (we play at a gaming store).

Lord Loss
2010-02-27, 09:57 AM
I (The DM) usually order a pizza. People occaisionally bring stuffs like brownies or other yumsies. Chips and Drinks are available 1/2 the time. Yum!

Eldan
2010-02-27, 10:02 AM
Depends. When I was cooking, I usually made Spaghetti and three or four different sauces. That usually keeps everyone happy. The guy who's house we usually played at preferred to get some chicken wings or other fast food somewhere and do that.

Arcane_Secrets
2010-02-27, 10:29 AM
Pizza
For an all-day session, a break in the middle for Chinese all-you-can eat.

Masaioh
2010-02-27, 10:33 AM
A case of pop, at least 10 bottles of sunny d, 2-4 bags of chips and those handisnacks cheese & breadsticks.

Alcohol is a bad idea, one player showed up drunk for one session and he needed help walking at all times. He couldn't even remember what class he was playing.

Lucas Pitta
2010-02-27, 10:47 AM
My group had a tendency to smoke non tobacco herbal substances during the game. As a consequence, there was never food in their house, and we were always hungry. I quickly fell into the habit of bringing food (for everyone) and drinks (for myself).

I think i know a non-tobacco substance that gives a bad case of munchies... :smallbiggrin:

ryzouken
2010-02-27, 10:48 AM
My group plays ironman style: 12 hour + sessions, single food break. Endless non-alcoholic liquids are available, but shy of that if you didn't plan your eating schedule ahead, you're screwed.

A different group I used to run with did marathon style games. I ended up running a 3.5 game once for 30+ hours. If you passed out, we just kept going with the assumption that while you were KO-ed, your character just didn't contribute anything meaningfully.

Good times... good times...

Admiral Squish
2010-02-27, 11:09 AM
Back on base the food options were pretty limited, so my group basically alternated between Subway, McDonalds, and pizzas.

Jarrick
2010-02-27, 11:21 AM
We usually eat beforehand at the local all-you-can-eat chinese buffet ($5.59 at lunchtime = awesome). Then someone brings drinks, I drink water out of habit.

We used to order out for Domino's pizza 5-5-5 deal, (Or 7-7-7 deal if we had a good week) but they don't deliver where we play now. :smallfrown:

One time we thought we'd go really cheap and get a bunch of bean burritos from taco bell and just eat them when we got hungry as needed. By the end of the session, sometime after pausing to put the wallpaper back up and open a window, we decided to never do this ever again. :smalleek:

Eldan
2010-02-27, 11:43 AM
How do you get your chinese food so cheap? Around here, it's just about the most expensive thing you can buy, at 30+ a plate...

Keld Denar
2010-02-27, 11:51 AM
Move to the Pacific Northwest of America. High density of Asian immigrants and Asian-American citizens = plentiful sources of delicious asian cuisine. As supply goes up and demand remains relatively stable, price comes down. Yay!

I'm more of a fan of Korean, but I've never found an all-you-can-eat Korean place...

And yea, take-out was a longstanding tradition in my last gaming group.

Jarrick
2010-02-27, 11:56 AM
Move to the Pacific Northwest of America. High density of Asian immigrants and Asian-American citizens = plentiful sources of delicious asian cuisine. As supply goes up and demand remains relatively stable, price comes down. Yay!

This. Except I'm in Bedford, Indiana. We used to have 3 chinese buffets in town, but now the Asian Pearl stands as the single most awesome place to eat in town. Not sure why there are so many chinese folk here though. :smallconfused:

Eldan
2010-02-27, 11:58 AM
Oh, we have plenty of asian restaurants, actually. Five in the next town, which is still only about 15'000 inhabitants (Two chinese, two Thai, one mongol), it just seems that they all decided to open high-class, non-takeaway restaurants. I love eating there, but it's too expensive to do more than once a month.

Edit: Seven, actually, now that I'm thinking about it. There's also a small tibetan one which isn't quite as expensive, and a vietnamese one.

dragonfan6490
2010-02-27, 12:36 PM
We usually have everyone fend for themselves, sometimes someone will bring stuff like pizza rolls or we may order a few pizzas, but we're all broke college students :smallfrown: so we don't do that very often.

faith
2010-02-27, 12:57 PM
Chips, and the DM would order out for everyone. Also we have nearly endless soda at 3 of the 4 houses, which leads to multiple bathroom breaks, which leads to me ( the partys rogue) to steal their loot while their on the can :smallbiggrin: good times

Arti3
2010-02-27, 01:06 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/b472/

Kris Strife
2010-02-27, 05:52 PM
The only physical groups I had, one was in Med Hold for basic training, so we ate what ever the chow hall fixed, when ever they called us to eat, with all the water we could drink. The other, we usually went to the Zaxby's next to the gaming store, at least once or twice a night.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-02-27, 06:44 PM
Better plan - have people tell you (or whomever is hosting) what they want before they get there and then have the host place the order so that it'll arrive at Meal Time (whenever that is).

It's what my group does when we have a short evening game. I really should do it for my long afternoon game too, but I'm too lazy to set that up.

Also: oWoD Vampire can only be played while sipping red wine. It's like LARPing, but much less silly :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-02-27, 07:00 PM
What happens if you sip red wine while LARPing oWoD? Do the opposing levels of silly cancel out or multiply?

Oracle_Hunter
2010-02-27, 07:05 PM
What happens if you sip red wine while LARPing oWoD? Do the opposing levels of silly cancel out or multiply?
Everyone explodes.

Anyhow, it mainly came about because the host was an oenophile who always had a good stock of delicious wine; wine, I should add, that was never more than $10/bottle.

Good times :smallbiggrin: