PDA

View Full Version : How many Hobs know about the plan?

Acero
2010-02-26, 11:23 PM
as stated in the latest strip, Jirix knows about the plan. How many other Hobgoblins know about it? Just J? All Clerics?

Herald Alberich
2010-02-26, 11:31 PM
Jirix knows that there is a Plan, but how much he knows about the specifics is uncertain. I doubt many of the other hobgoblins know about it; a few of the clerics, maybe.

rewinn
2010-02-26, 11:36 PM
Jirix knows that there is a Plan, but how much he knows about the specifics is uncertain. I doubt many of the other hobgoblins know about it; a few of the clerics, maybe.:redcloak: Because The Plan depends on a certain amount of surprise, the Dark One has wisely decided to keep almost everyone in the dark.:mitd:

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-26, 11:53 PM
Particularly Xykon.

Zxo
2010-02-27, 01:52 AM
It is an interesting question. In SoD, there is at least one non-cleric who knows the details.

When Redcloak explains the Plan to Xykon in the Evil Diner, Right-Eye is present and asks later "why did you lie to him?" (about the outcome of the ritual) which suggests that Right-Eye knew what the Plan is about.

But we have seen no other goblins/hobgoblins showing any knowledge of it. I doubt Jirix would be so relaxed if he knew.

Morquard
2010-02-27, 07:37 AM
It is an interesting question. In SoD, there is at least one non-cleric who knows the details.

When Redcloak explains the Plan to Xykon in the Evil Diner, Right-Eye is present and asks later "why did you lie to him?" (about the outcome of the ritual) which suggests that Right-Eye knew what the Plan is about.

But we have seen no other goblins/hobgoblins showing any knowledge of it. I doubt Jirix would be so relaxed if he knew.

Right-eye was Redcloaks brother, he trusted him and thats why he told him. It's also quite possible that the first goblin followers he had when he met Xykon also knew, but there's no proof of that.

Aside from that though, there's no evidence anyone else knows. Jirix knows at least some of it, he knows there is a Plan, and I think he knows that Xykon thinks its about something else and if he should learn the truth its bad for Goblins. Maybe he knows everything, Jirix seems to be the only one that Redcloak trusts.
Also he must know at least enough that the Dark One approached him in the afterlife with a message (even if it was a cryptic one).

Some clerics might know that the Crimson Mantle is an artifact from the Dark One, and if Redcloak should ever die they're supposed to take it and wear it. But I don't think they know why exactly.

Deliverance
2010-02-28, 04:19 PM
I doubt that there's anybody living now in the comic save Redcloak, who knows the full plan as it was revealed to Redcloak.

Redcloak was informed of the plan through the revelation when he put on the crimson mantle. We know he shared it with his brother, whom he trusted. He has not demonstrated trust of any other character in the comic.

While he may have shared all the details of the plan with others, what possible benefit could there be to him from doing so? Particularly after hooking up with Xykon and lying to him about the plan, giving out only minimal details of the plan to others, that didn't contradict what Xykon knew, would be a sensible survival precaution and Redcloak the intellectual is sensible. Giving out no details would be even more sensible.

Thus my guess is that Redcloak has not told anybody currently living in the story the full details of the plan and hasn't told anybody not of the inner council of team evil any details. His chosen pawn Jirix may very well be the only hobgoblin who knows anything beyond "Our supreme leader and prophet of the Dark One is making this a better world for goblinkind as the Dark One desires".

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-28, 05:09 PM
What plan? :mitd:

albis
2010-02-28, 05:23 PM
I don't know... my money would be on "very few" though.
Reddy strikes me as the "the less people know it, the better" kind of guy....:smallconfused:

Asta Kask
2010-03-01, 07:05 AM
I sometimes wonder how much Redcloak knows about the plan. I don't think it would be beyond the Dark One to lie to his cleric... for his own good, naturally.

Ancalagon
2010-03-01, 09:15 AM
I sometimes wonder how much Redcloak knows about the plan. I don't think it would be beyond the Dark One to lie to his cleric... for his own good, naturally.

Good point, but it also has already been debated to death and back. I fear we simply will have to wait and see how things unfold. ;)

multilis
2010-03-01, 03:19 PM
Possible Redcloak and/or Dark One has left some knowledge behind as a plan B in case Redcloak dies/fails.

Or possible that there is an *active* plan B by the Dark One.

Or possible that another source, perhaps linked to Oracle has goblin double agents who know part of the plan and aim to subvert it for own benefit. (Evil sides often fight for who gets to be top dog if evil wins).

Ancalagon
2010-03-01, 04:51 PM
The problem is: The Plan is running out of gates.

multilis
2010-03-01, 06:43 PM
The problem is: The Plan is running out of gates.While that *is* one very serious problem from Dark Ones perspective, another is attempts have come within a hair of ending X and Redcloak and his mantle. What if Miko hadn't saved them last time? Or if time before if Roy had known what he really needed to do to finish off X?

albis
2010-03-02, 01:27 AM

Which raises another question: if Team Evil and the Order battle for the next gates, and those end up destroyed too, what will happen with the Snarl?

Morquard
2010-03-02, 01:39 AM

Well, 40% of the gates are still standing. Doesn't sound that bad when you say it that way :)

Besides, from the Dark One's perspective its not that bad, he has a contengency plan if that happens.
if the snarl destroyes the world, then he gets a say in World 3.0 and goblins won't be the xp fodder race anymore

Of course, considering how the Snarl hasn't been anything at all like it was supposed to be so far, there's the question if either plan actually works.

I also suspect that the Dark One has a different plan for the gate than he actually lets Redcloak know. I think he'll tell the current wearer of the Crimson Mantle exactly what that one wants to hear so he'll do whats necessary.
For Redcloak it apperently was "Goblin Equallity" that won him, maybe the former cleric was told "World Domination", who knows?
It's an EVIL god after all.

Ancalagon
2010-03-02, 05:08 AM
Well, 40% of the gates are still standing. Doesn't sound that bad when you say it that way :)

"There are only two left" sounds much worse. Or "they already destroyed over 50% without gaining anything at all" is also not very promising. ;)

Asta Kask
2010-03-02, 11:40 AM
I think a more viable plan is to research the gate construction spell. It has been done once after all.

albis
2010-03-02, 12:51 PM
I think a more viable plan is to research the gate construction spell. It has been done once after all.

That's true... my father always says "if it can break, it can be fixed" (he's a computer technician" :smallbiggrin:

warmachine
2010-03-02, 12:55 PM
None. A few might be told a partial truth that is much like what Xykon believes but that's not the real Plan. If Xykon ever learnt of the real Plan, he'd become distinctly upset and uncooperative, so Redcloak can't take the risk of the truth leaking to Xykon. Even those he can trust might get drunk or angry and blurt out something compromising. An upset Xykon is bad.

jtpete86
2010-03-02, 01:11 PM
what plan? I promise not to tell anyone - ever!

Herald Alberich
2010-03-02, 03:57 PM

Redcloak and Xykon considered that in SOD, and rejected it because it would require many years of research and preparation, and Redcloak would need to gain Epic levels first. It's still an option if all the Gates are destroyed and don't take the world with them.