PDA

View Full Version : How to make a magic item safe

nolispe
2010-02-27, 06:09 AM
pretty much as it says in the title. My character has a magic item, of quite immpressive power, that makes up most of his 20th level wealth. And that is with using a bunch of artificer tricks. However, this could still be stolen, disjuncted, etc. In summary, i am now asking the playground for help as to how to defend, it and, as a secondary goal, try to prevent tohers getting their hands on it. So, what you you suggest?

bosssmiley
2010-02-27, 07:29 AM
Most of the character's level 20 wealth is tied up in a single item? :smallconfused:

Congratulations on your hostage to fortune. You're just asking for trouble with that big shiny plot driver waving in the DM's face. Keep it on your person at all times, fondling it regularly, talking to it ("My preciousssssss"), and hiding it from all others.

Gorbash
2010-02-27, 07:35 AM
You'll have to be more specific than that. What is that item? If it's a weapon and you want to stop enemies from disarming you - locked gauntlet. If you want to avoid getting it stollen while you're not using it, you can use Leomund's Secret Chest or Hoard Gullet. If you want to protect it from Disjunction, then you're out of luck, as far as I know, there's no protection against that.

Radar
2010-02-27, 08:19 AM
You'll have to be more specific than that. What is that item? If it's a weapon and you want to stop enemies from disarming you - locked gauntlet. If you want to avoid getting it stollen while you're not using it, you can use Leomund's Secret Chest or Hoard Gullet. If you want to protect it from Disjunction, then you're out of luck, as far as I know, there's no protection against that.
Disjunction is a burst, so I take it, that lead can block it (just as it blocks Arcane Sight and such). If it's not an option, then one has to boost Will save as high as possible - attended objects get to use their wielders bonus. To be on the safe side, one would have to have a save of 25 or even 30 tough (unless the opponent optimises his save DC).

Yora
2010-02-27, 08:33 AM
Imagine a lead box for a staff. Also better get a Belt of Strength +4. :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-27, 08:57 AM
Disjunction is a burst, so I take it, that lead can block it (just as it blocks Arcane Sight and such).
Lead is only special regarding spells that penetrate barriers that normally block line of effect (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicOverview.html#line-of-effect) and specifically mention the lead vulnerability. Disjunction is neither. Any material can block it if it can cut off the burst’s line of effect.

Last Laugh
2010-02-27, 10:45 AM
The miser's luck feat in complete scoundrel grants your possessions a +5 to saves. You might need another luck feat to be able to take it tho.

Lysander
2010-02-27, 10:51 AM
Here's a question...does disjunction extend to the ethereal plane? Because if not a Ring of Blinking should cause disjunction to fail against you 50% of the time...

Eloel
2010-02-27, 11:04 AM
Ring of Spell Turning. You need a good timing to get it at the exact time of MDJ, but against someone who can cast 9th level spells, it's VERY useful, even if it doesn't get MDJ.

Daefos
2010-02-27, 11:28 AM
-snip-

I see what you did there.