PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Building A Sorcerer

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-27, 10:57 AM
I've been looking at the Sorcerer class, along with Arcane Power recently, and tried to build one. I've played a Chaos Sorcerer in a one-off adventure and liked it, but I want to try something different this time.
I might not be actually playing it (I often enjoy just building characters for fun), but if it turns out well I might give it a shot. Be hard to say goodbye to my Avenger, though...:smallfrown:
I've read that the Storm Sorcerer is really good, but I can't really see why. It just doesn't strike me as that strong. And I don't really like Dragon Sorcerer, since I don't really want to get in melee. So right now I'm thinking Cosmic Sorcerer, since it's class features are pretty cool and it seem to have decent powers.
General Thoughts? If I go Storm, I'll probably do a Drow; if I do Cosmic, I think I want a Dragonborn. Are there better choices?
Right now, I'm thinking a Half-Elf Storm Sorcerer with the Daggermaster Lightning Fury paragon path.

Sir Homeslice
2010-02-27, 11:06 AM
Nope.

Cosmic Sorcs are good because they straddle the random line and straightforward line between Wild and Dragon Magic while still remaining useful.

By the by, Phase of the Sun is really great.Stormwarden-esque autodamage at level 1 forever onward as long as you can keep sticking to the Sun is especially fun, and completely worth using Celestial Scholar's Phase Focus on.

I forget why Storm Sorcerers are cool besides from the fact that Epic Tier make them hilariously crazy when dealing damage, only if when they crit, things tend to explode in frightening ways.

lol fury of the storm

tcrudisi
2010-02-27, 12:16 PM
By the by, Phase of the Sun is really great.Stormwarden-esque autodamage at level 1 forever onward as long as you can keep sticking to the Sun is especially fun, and completely worth using Celestial Scholar's Phase Focus on.

I forget why Storm Sorcerers are cool besides from the fact that Epic Tier make them hilariously crazy when dealing damage, only if when they crit, things tend to explode in frightening ways.

lol fury of the storm

This +1. Well, I would not call sticking to the phase of the Sun "especially fun", but it is fun.

And yeah, Storm Sorcs get ridiculous at epic levels. I played a level 30 Storm Sorc that was doing close to 400 points of damage on a crit, with an at-will, and was critting most rounds. And it wasn't even optimized fully, since I chose Eternal Seeker as my epic destiny (/snicker).

The Cosmic Sorcs are a lot of fun as well. Dragon Sorcs are ridiculously good, but I can't stand them.

Just make sure you go Daggermaster for your paragon path. :-P

Master_Rahl22
2010-02-27, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure at all what you mean by not wanting to be in melee with a Dragon Sorcerer. Yes, you tend to have a lot of Close Blast powers, but the only way you'll ever be in melee is if you take the Sorcerous Blade Channeling feat to let you turn a ranged power into a melee one. One thing I love about Dragon Sorcs is the ease with which you can get really good resists. I had a level 23 Dragonborn Sorc that had Resist Cold and Lightning 25, ignoring that much resist in enemies for those keywords, and the grabbed items to end up resisting every element but Radiant and Poison.

Kurald Galain
2010-02-27, 09:06 PM
Just an offbeat remark: you should seriously consider taking the Enlarge Spell feat. The sorcerer has many burst-1 attacks and this near triples the size of all of those.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-28, 12:54 PM
Just an offbeat remark: you should seriously consider taking the Enlarge Spell feat. The sorcerer has many burst-1 attacks and this near triples the size of all of those.

Where's that from? I can't find it in PHB, PHB2, or Arcane Power. Is it a preview from the website? I don't have Insider...

Kurald Galain
2010-02-28, 12:58 PM
Where's that from? I can't find it in PHB, PHB2, or Arcane Power. Is it a preview from the website? I don't have Insider...

It's in AP all right. It's actually a wizard feat, but it works on sorcerer powers as well. Is tripling the size of most of your attacks worth two feats? It's not a "must have", but it's certainly worth considering.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-28, 01:02 PM
But if its a Wizard feat... I'll have to multiclass to Wizard to take it... which means I can't multiclass to Rogue... which means I can't take Daggermaster. Truly, no man has ever faced such a hard decision.
If I take a Wizard power from being a Half-Elf, does that count as being a "wizard" to take the feat?

Kurald Galain
2010-02-28, 01:12 PM
If I take a Wizard power from being a Half-Elf, does that count as being a "wizard" to take the feat?

No, but if backgrounds are allowed, you can use the Windrise Ports background to multiclass twice.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-28, 06:35 PM
No, but if backgrounds are allowed, you can use the Windrise Ports background to multiclass twice.

Sadly, no. :smallfrown:
I'd rather get Daggermaster cheese than increased spell radius.
Question: All that stuff with daggers counts when the dagger is an implement? Awesome! Especially the one that says "Your dagger's damage dice is increased by one size." If you do that with a d12 power, does it go to a d20?

Kylarra
2010-02-28, 07:08 PM
Question: All that stuff with daggers counts when the dagger is an implement? Awesome! Especially the one that says "Your dagger's damage dice is increased by one size." If you do that with a d12 power, does it go to a d20?
Hate to break it to you, but that means your D4 dagger is now a D6 weapon, since sorcerers don't use powers with [W] damage tags, it's marginally useless.

RebelRogue
2010-02-28, 07:14 PM
You are not improving the damage dice when using the dagger as an implement, as it's a fixed die type, not [W] type damage rolls.

Edit: Ninja'ed...

tcrudisi
2010-02-28, 07:57 PM
Daggermaster is really only useful for the 18-20 crits and ability to reroll with an AP. Everything else is bad to useless. However, if you are going to hit epic levels, then that 18-20 crits is amazingly omg good. Even if you aren't going to hit level 21+, just critting on an 18 is very sweet.

I find it annoying that the best paragon path for most Sorc's happens to be a Rogue paragon path.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-28, 07:57 PM
Hate to break it to you, but that means your D4 dagger is now a D6 weapon, since sorcerers don't use powers with [W] damage tags, it's marginally useless.

Crap. What about the other Daggermaster stuff?
Also, what epic destinies are good for Sorcerers, Storm in particular?

Kylarra
2010-02-28, 08:00 PM
Also, what epic destinies are good for Sorcerers, Storm in particular?Basically the prime reason you're going into daggermaster is the higher critrange and I guess the AP power. The other stuff is worthless (to you).

I honestly don't know much about sorc epic destinies, but you can't go wrong with demigod.

tcrudisi
2010-02-28, 09:10 PM
Also, what epic destinies are good for Sorcerers, Storm in particular?

I did quite well with Eternal Seeker. Of course, this is not the best epic destiny, but it is a rather good one. The DM was very surprised when I was directly responsible for killing a god in one round.

Demigod is generally considered the best. Getting +2 to two stats means +2 damage and +1 to hit. However, since Sorc's have exactly 0 good dailies, I opted for Eternal Seeker and swapped out all my dailies and most of my encounter powers. I was also built around Blazing Starfall and would crit for 300-400 damage (I don't remember what, exactly). I think I still have that character sheet floating around on my wife's computer -- if so, I'll post it (level 30 build) onto here within the next 18 hours (she's asleep, then I leave early for a project).