PDA

View Full Version : [Scion] The Might of The Gods, And the Playground's Opinion There-Of

Xallace
2010-02-27, 12:02 PM
So I was looking into alternate RPGs the other day at a local bookstore (Orpheus caught my eye, then I realized, "Blah, Storyteller system"), which got me intrigued to look up other games on the internet. Having remembered a couple buddies of mine almost starting a Scion game, I looked into it.

And conceptually, I was pleasantly surprised! It sounds like a great concept for a game, and I would be totally willing to shell ought some dough for it when my finances stabilize a bit more. The reviews were for the most part positive, even.

But before I make any plans, I was wondering if I could pole some opinions from the Playgrounders here, whom I trust to know what they're talking about in these matters.

So how is Scion? What's it like? Is it awesome enough for me to overcome my distaste for the Storyteller system, or should I just leave it alone? Whaddya say?

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 12:30 PM
It's an okay system. I really, really like the fluff, but your epic attributes make worlds of differences in combat, and the majority of the boons are rather meh.

Make sure you do character creation together and come up with a baseline amount of soak and DVs. link (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Character_Generation_in_Scion:_Her o#DV_and_Soak)

The game runs marginally fine, albeit with some gaping holes, at the heroic level. At anything higher, then your epic stats just make rolling pretty much a nonissue. You'll hit anything that isn't as good as you are at your thing, and otherwise you won't. (Even at lower levels, this still comes up, but the scaling of epic attributes is ridiculous)

erikun
2010-02-27, 02:54 PM
I have a few of the books, although I haven't played a game of Scion. I'm surprised you're interesting in Scion with a "Blah, Storyteller system" reaction, as it's basically the same thing.

Yes, you get epic attributes rather easily. This makes the gap between the skilled and unskilled that much larger, as anyone with an epic attribute will have high ranks in that attribute and (likely) related skills. If there's a large difference between two ranks and four on an attribute/skill, you can imagine what an extra three epic ranks does.

Also, note that the full Scion "series" spans three books. That is, Scion: Hero has rules for the first three levels of Legend; Scion: Demigod for the middle four; and Scion: God for the top three. It probably isn't a problem if you're planning on keeping the game low-key or just giving it a quick run, but you'll need more than the core book to run characters with 4+ Legend. (Legend determined how high your Scion powers and stats can go.)

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 02:59 PM
Also, note that the full Scion "series" spans three books. That is, Scion: Hero has rules for the first three levels of Legend; Scion: Demigod for the middle four; and Scion: God for the top three. It probably isn't a problem if you're planning on keeping the game low-key or just giving it a quick run, but you'll need more than the core book to run characters with 4+ Legend. (Legend determined how high your Scion powers and stats can go.)Nitpick
Hero: Legends 1-4
Demigod: 5-8
God: 9-12

Xallace
2010-02-27, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised you're interesting in Scion with a "Blah, Storyteller system" reaction, as it's basically the same thing.

I am too, actually, which is why I'm looking for opinions. Having just read the basic idea and a few blurbs, it seemed cool enough that I might try and overcome my distaste. I just wanted to know if it was, indeed, cool enough.
Totally arbitrary scale, I'm aware.
Basically, I'm looking over the Exalted thread over there and seeing tons "Exalted: It rocks socks." I wanted to see if Scion had similar recommendations.

The_Snark
2010-02-27, 04:03 PM
It is a cool idea. To be honest, I'm not terribly impressed with the way it's carried out... but I've noticed that I'm really picky when it comes to gods-in-modern-times stories; I didn't care for American Gods despite being really interested in the ideas behind it. So your mileage may vary.

But execution aside, the concept behind it is cool enough that I've looked into the system. The mechanics are fun, although Boons are generally a little lacklustre compared to Knacks, and as other people point out, Epic Attributes become game-dominating as you get to higher power.

erikun
2010-02-27, 06:47 PM
Nitpick
Hero: Legends 1-4
Demigod: 5-8
God: 9-12
Ah, whoops. It's been awhile since I look into Hero, so I blame my faulty memory. I don't even have the other two, so I either heard or remembered wrong about them.

Basically, I'm looking over the Exalted thread over there and seeing tons "Exalted: It rocks socks." I wanted to see if Scion had similar recommendations.
Well, I'm hardly the expert, but here's what I've seen.

Compared to Scion, Exalted is more epic rawr awesomesause where you start off capable of blowing up the world and go up from there. The stunting mechanic in Exalted encouranges players to come up with outrageous / interesting descriptions and actions available to get bonus dice for their rolls.

Compared to Exalted, Scion has for "realistic" characters, which are mostly human with special abilities. You start at roughly normal levels of skill and take off to godhood. Good bonuses come from character abilities and sources you would expect them to (ie. hiding behind cover gives bonus against being shot at), so you get actions more expected from human-ish characters and less along the lines of "I piledriver Superman through the Sears Tower."

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 07:07 PM
As long as you only play in Hero level, you should be fine. It's anything higher that the game really and truly falls apart.

wadledo
2010-02-27, 07:14 PM
It's fun and interesting, but only at "low" levels seems to be the consensus.

Xallace
2010-02-27, 08:01 PM
Alright, so Scion: Hero is worth picking up (at least to read), but don't go for anything above? Got it, thanks folks.

Now, I guess my next question would be: What kind of powers do you get at "Hero" level? We're not "piledriving Superman through the Sears Tower," as Erikun said, but what are we doing? Herculean strength and Odyssean brains? Altering wind strength and calling small storms? Every so often having a little more luck than usual?

Not specifics necessarily, I imagine there's quite a few specific abilities because of the various gods and pantheons, but in general.

StoryKeeper
2010-02-28, 09:52 PM
Nah, Hercules doesn't get an entry until you buy Scion: God. ;)

At Hero level, you get stuff like guns that make people fall in and out of love, condition-specific invisibility, the ability to digest poisonous water and walk through fire, and enough strength to toss cars at your opponents.