PDA

View Full Version : Story-Appropriate Class Recomendation - Help Please

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 12:28 PM
Hey, Playground residents. I was working on a story that I was thinking of turning into a cool adventure or two, and was thinking of using the Gestalt system. However, as only a few characters match up to the fluff of a general Gestalt game, I was hoping to instead find out about some some appropriate classes - both for the characters who would obviously kind of need a second class to maintain a fluff-mechanics relationship and for other characters who I would need to have a more specified class to avoid using the gestalt system, so recomendations are more than welcome.

The biggest issue for now (at least now that I'm working through my list of characters - not even halfway through figuring out their mechanics, so keep your eyes peeled for an update) is a character who I named Lady Nora for now [just a stage name]. Basic backstory is that she was born working class with small talent and big dreams, made a deal with a demon/devil [delete as appropriate] to gain amazing skill, and became a famous singer and actress. Some time later, the same demon she made a deal with showed up at the height of her fame and saved her life - then without any forewarning of his terms declared her to be his next wife. He cursed her to slowly tranform into a demon herself over time, and after a while carry her off to his domain. Her motivation would of course wanting to find a way out of this 'deal'.

I already worked out that she should have at least most of her early levels in bard, with a bitg of tweaking of fluff to explain the supernatural quality of her performances as part of a deal with dark forces, but after she starts to transform in mind and body, I figured she would develop new powers, which means I'll need another class of some form. So, any ideas?

jiriku
2010-02-27, 12:32 PM
You could simply add the fiendish or half-fiend template to her. Alternately, the acolyte of the skin prestige class from Complete Arcane, while not very good, is accessible to bards and models a fiendish transformation. Sub-optimal classes are actually pretty good for BBEG-type NPCs, because you can pile the levels on, giving the character the hp and save bonuses needed to stand up to a group of PCs, without adding overly-powerful offensive abilities that would guarantee a TPK.

Pie Guy
2010-02-27, 12:33 PM
Warlock (or Binder, from Tome of Magic) sounds just like what you're going for.

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 12:34 PM
Warlock (or Binder, from Tome of Magic) sounds just like what you're going for.Yeah this is what I was thinking too. Maybe incarnum, but I dread pointing anyone at that system.

Eloel
2010-02-27, 12:39 PM
Yeah this is what I was thinking too. Maybe incarnum, but I dread pointing anyone at that system.

Incarnum is a great (and fun) system that takes alot of effort to learn. It's worth the effort if you want to learn ins and outs of D&D, but it's not for everyone.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-02-27, 12:41 PM
If your gonna tossa crappy prestige on her thrall of Grazzit from BoVD would be worth checking out.

Personally I'd suggest the savage progression for succubus possible as a gestalt starting a few levels before her transformation started. If you really feel her skills checks in perform need to OMG! consider a sorceror or beguiler using spells to enhance their abilities.

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 12:42 PM
Incarnum is a great (and fun) system that takes alot of effort to learn. It's worth the effort if you want to learn ins and outs of D&D, but it's not for everyone.I'll stick to my DFA, thanks. :smalltongue: Look at target. Entangle target. Let the meatsticks mop things up.

All kidding aside, I do realize incarnum is a pretty good system, but the layout is horrific.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 12:47 PM
You could simply add the fiendish or half-fiend template to her. Alternately, the acolyte of the skin prestige class from Complete Arcane, while not very good, is accessible to bards and models a fiendish transformation. Sub-optimal classes are actually pretty good for BBEG-type NPCs, because you can pile the levels on, giving the character the hp and save bonuses needed to stand up to a group of PCs, without adding overly-powerful offensive abilities that would guarantee a TPK.

I figured I would have the character be Lawful Evil going on Lawful Neutral and be, at least for a level or two, a member of the party. In which case, I'm not sure how applying a template would affect things mechanically. I guess I could try it though, if nothing else comes up. As I probably should have mentioned before though, if I wanted a Prestige Class, it would have to preferably be one that continues to advance the Bardic Music abilities.

Warlock (or Binder, from Tome of Magic) sounds just like what you're going for.

I actually read up on Warlocks. They seem a little underwhelming and confusing really. Maybe I didn't read on them too much, but the invocation system jsut seems a tad silly. As for Binder, I'm actually looking into that now. A few tips on how the mechanics of that class works would be appreciated since my few glances of it seem pretty mindboggling when you jsut got used to the Magic Spell and Psionic Power systems.

Yeah this is what I was thinking too. Maybe incarnum, but I dread pointing anyone at that system.

Jesus, Ircanum. I got about thirty seconds into that sourcebook before I put it back. Maybe everything past the introduction fell magnificently into place, but I've never really seen a collection of starting pages before that made you feel MORE disorientated.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 12:51 PM
If your gonna tossa crappy prestige on her thrall of Grazzit from BoVD would be worth checking out.

Personally I'd suggest the savage progression for succubus possible as a gestalt starting a few levels before her transformation started. If you really feel her skills checks in perform need to OMG! consider a sorceror or beguiler using spells to enhance their abilities.

I'm using Pathfinder, so the bards are a little more competent. I considered using those exact classes - beguiler and sorcerer - but they didn't seem quite right. I want the fine balance between mechanics and story integration - so that I can play her liek I envisioned the character. For the most part, the setting and her skills allow her to get the most out her bardic abilities, so I don't plan on dropping that class. Also, what do you mean 'savage progression for succubus'? Soem system I don't know?

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 12:52 PM
I'll stick to my DFA, thanks. :smalltongue: Look at target. Entangle target. Let the meatsticks mop things up.

All kidding aside, I do realize incarnum is a pretty good system, but the layout is horrific.

What's a DFA? Also, how exactly DOES Ircanum work?

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 12:55 PM
Also, what do you mean 'savage progression for succubus'? Soem system I don't know?Savage species (3.0) has racial progressions that are effectively "pseudo classes" that allow you to play from 1 to ECL of a monster's RHD+LA. Normally this is terrible, but in gestalt, it's not too bad, so long as it's only applied on one side.

What's a DFA? Also, how exactly DOES Ircanum work?DFA is a Dragonfire Adept, and one of my favorite base classes. It's essentially a draconic version of the warlock and not really relevant to the topic at hand, but I mentioned it because it's pretty much the exact opposite of incarnum, as you can just pump CON and have a decent DFA.

I ... can't really explain incarnum other than you're basically pumping energy (essentia is the technical term iirc) from a pool and using them as pseudo magic items.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 01:02 PM
Savage species (3.0) has racial progressions that are effectively "pseudo classes" that allow you to play from 1 to ECL of a monster's RHD+LA. Normally this is terrible, but in gestalt, it's not too bad, so long as it's only applied on one side.

DFA is a Dragonfire Adept, and one of my favorite base classes. It's essentially a draconic version of the warlock and not really relevant to the topic at hand, but I mentioned it because it's pretty much the exact opposite of incarnum, as you can just pump CON and have a decent DFA.

I ... can't really explain incarnum other than you're basically pumping energy (essentia is the technical term iirc) from a pool and using them as pseudo magic items.

Huh, sounds like what I was looking for for some of the monster characters. Wish I'd known that - I spent half an hour today making up racial stats for a Lamia PC. Its not really relevant to anything, but since I mentioned it, behold my crude attempt at game balance!

Lamia Racial Statisics

Ability Score: +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity; Lamias possess a strong lower body of a lion, but are hard to manoeuvre an unattractive to look at as a result.
Undersized Weapon: As the torso holding weapons is that of a medium sized creature, the Lamia is considered medium sized creature for the purposes of holding weapons.
Large Sized: Lamias are large sized, giving them a 10x10 feet space, normal reach (undersized weapons), -1 penalty to attack rolls and AC, +1 to CMB and CMD, and -4 penalty to Stealth checks.
Natural Armour: Lamias have a +2 natural armour bonus. This does not apply when taking on a different, such as when under the affect of a spell of the polymorph subschool.
Claws: The Lamia’s lower body has claws, giving them a pair of natural secondary attacks (each at a -5 penalty), that deals 1d4+Strength modifier damage.
Low-Light Vision: Can see twice as far as humans in areas of dim light.
Instinctive: +2 racial bonus on Survival and wild empathy checks.
Fast Speed: Lamias have a base speed of 50 feet.
Languages: Common and Sylvan. Extra languages can be any.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 01:31 PM
Damned Internet explorer, crapping out on me mid-post, making me start over... Damn Vista.

Anyway, to those of you taht still have recomendations for a second class or equivalent for Lady Nora, you're more than welcome to post. IIn the meantime, lets get a second character that I;m halfway through making up here.

Okay, its a Goblin bounty hunter/assassin by the name of Grim, or Little Grim as most people call him. I guess in terms of fighting style, think Belkar but a tad more erratic and impulsive, if that's possible, usually talking down foes in single combat by jumping onto the small of their back and stabbing them a half dozen times (not sure on the mechanics of that, but I'll figure something out.) Backstory is teh reverse of teh typical JRPG hero motivation; as a goblin, humans and elves and heroic adventurers cam and burned down HIS village. In vengeance, he slit the throats of a few hundred soldiers and a general in their sleep, earning him a reputation of a real go-getter worthy of taking on some high stakes contracts. He can handle himself in the wilderness and uses a wide assortment of dual weld and throwing daggers, so I'm guessing his best class would be either Ranger or Rogue, though you guys can give recomendations for better choices. Just those are teh most familiar Core Classes.

But here's the cookie little twist and those who have read a certain article on this site will be familiar with the lycanthropy he was cursed with during a skirmish with a very odd ogre. Thats right, under a full moon, our green little piece of three foot nuthin' turns in to the one and one Were-Tyranosaurus-Rex! Why? Because its awesome, ridiculous, awesomely ridiculous, and ridiculously awesome that's all the game mechanics I need on that one!

Pluto
2010-02-27, 02:02 PM
Also, how exactly DOES Ircanum work?

It's kind of like if the Cleric and the Star Ship Enterprise had a baby.
And then taught the baby only to speak ridiculous jargon.

[edit: Bah. The Internet ate my formating. I'll spoiler this then for inconspicuousness]

It starts simply enough with the Soulmelds. These are like Incarnum's spells. Every Incarnum user gets a specific number that can be shaped each day, according to level. Higher level characters can shape more soulmelds at a time.
Each class has a different list of Soulmelds and every character has access to the whole list (like the Cleric, Druid, Paladin or Ranger in the player's handbook).
The Soulmelds grant a straightforward benefit: an ability, an immunity, a bonus or something else. This part is pretty straightforward.

Every Incarnum class, and several Incarnum feats, give the ability to bind soulmelds to a chakra. ("Chakra" is Incarnum-Jargon for "magic item slot.")
Every soulmeld has the ability to be bound to a different chakra. When it is bound, a soulmeld provides a different benefit than normal. Impulse Boots, for example, give Uncanny Dodge when they're shaped, but when Bound, they give Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.
When a Soulmeld is bound in a magic item slot, it counts as a magic item for most purposes. This means that other items competing for the same slot don't work and that other Soulmelds cannot be bound to that slot.
A character can only have a specific number of Soulmelds bound at a time. (This is different from the number of soulmelds they can have shaped.)

The last component of the Incarnum system is called Essentia. You can think of it like a Psion's PP: essentia is the resource Incarnum-users distribute to their different soulmelds. Investing essentia in a Soulmeld or ability will typically increase the effects of that Soulmeld or ability (usually increasing numerical bonuses and increasing damage dice).
Playing an Incarnum character is centered around the round-by-round distribution of limited essentia between many soulmelds.
Every Soulmeld has a third effect, based on the essentia invested in it. The common illustration of essentia investment is Star Trek. When Kirk says "Cut the engines. All power to the aft shields," it is analagous to the Incarnate deciding to reallocate Essentia from his Airstep Sandals to his Spellward Shirt.
Like Psionics, there is a cap on the number of essentia that can be invested in an ability. The cap is typically 1+1/6 HD, but class abilities and feats can push it higher.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 02:13 PM
It's kind of like if the Cleric and the Star Ship Enterprise had a baby.
And then taught the baby only to speak ridiculous jargon.

What an odd image! Anyway, thanks for the explanation on Ircanum. That might actually be a little better than what I was already using for this samurai chick, which was a Psion secondary class. Further explanation on taht character pending.

PS. Oh, awesome avatar btw

Pluto
2010-02-27, 02:16 PM
But here's the cookie little twist and those who have read a certain article on this site will be familiar with the lycanthropy he was cursed with during a skirmish with a very odd ogre. Thats right, under a full moon, our green little piece of three foot nuthin' turns in to the one and one Were-Tyranosaurus-Rex! Why? Because its awesome, ridiculous, awesomely ridiculous, and ridiculously awesome that's all the game mechanics I need on that one!

For shapeshifting from level 1, I'd go with the Shapeshift Druid in the Player's Handbook 2. Fluff the forms as tyrannosaurs (juvenile to adult) and this could work. Unless you need to have a Were-T-Rex, in which case we're talking ECL 20... not really practical for most games pre-epic.

Druid also introduces the Lion's Charge spell from Spell Compendium, which makes the life of a two-weapon Fighter much easier.

For the other side of the Gestalt, a Swift Hunter build. SH is a feat in Complete Scoundrel which allows Ranger and Scout (Complete Adventurer) to multiclass. It essentially builds combat characters that get lots of bonus damage every round they move. Complete Champion's Spell-less Ranger might be worthwhile in this case (what with full Druid casting).

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 02:24 PM
For shapeshifting from level 1, I'd go with the Shapeshift Druid in the Player's Handbook 2. Fluff the forms as tyrannosaurs (juvenile to adult) and this could work. Unless you need to have a Were-T-Rex, in which case we're talking ECL 20... not really practical for most games pre-epic.

Druid also introduces the Lion's Charge spell from Spell Compendium, which makes the life of a two-weapon Fighter much easier.

For the other side of the Gestalt, a Swift Hunter build. SH is a feat in Complete Scoundrel which allows Ranger and Scout (Complete Adventurer) to multiclass. It essentially builds combat characters that get lots of bonus damage every round they move. Complete Champion's Spell-less Ranger might be worthwhile in this case (what with full Druid casting).

Well, the campaign would be mid-level by the time the lycanthropy came into play, so I wasn't really going to devote a class to it. I was planning on making a homebrew version of Weretrex with a fair few limitations - for example, Little Grim would have no control over his actions or self awareness while transformed nor ability to transform back, though I was also planning on giving him a potion or something taht supresses the transformation. The typical fight would probably play out with the Goblin accidently transforming, attacking both friend and foe, shallow a random person whole, then lose intrest and go elsewhere, so its not something the group munchkin will have ease in exploiting. Actually, I was going to make him a wererat, but thought that wouldn't have enough impact.

Anyway, as for the class, I was originally going to go with Ranger/Rogue if using gestalt, but if I don't use gestalt what should I go for? Scout/Ranger?

Pluto
2010-02-27, 02:40 PM
Anyway, as for the class, I was originally going to go with Ranger/Rogue if using gestalt, but if I don't use gestalt what should I go for? Scout/Ranger?
Scout/Ranger works nicely if you can reliably move and full attack each round. If you can't, it flops. I'd recommend it, but with the caveat that you give this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) a look. [Person_Man's guide to free movement]

Other than that, Rogue/Barbarian isn't bad. It's Feat-starved, but it definitely delivers.

One other option I omitted is Swordsage from Tome of Battle. Tiger Claw-focused Swordsages have fluff similar to a Barbarian, skills similar to a Ranger and can make mobile two-weapon fighting easy.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 02:52 PM
Scout/Ranger works nicely if you can reliably move and full attack each round. If you can't, it flops. I'd recommend it, but with the caveat that you give this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) a look. [Person_Man's guide to free movement]

Other than that, Rogue/Barbarian isn't bad. It's Feat-starved, but it definitely delivers.

One other option I omitted is Swordsage from Tome of Battle. Tiger Claw-focused Swordsages have fluff similar to a Barbarian, skills similar to a Ranger and can make mobile two-weapon fighting easy.

Well there was a capstone for the Oracle Platest article that allowed movement and full attack, though that hardly seems worth 20 levels in a primary spellcasting class, right? Then again, I guess I could refluff it and chalk his spells up to... nah, that's silly.

Anyway, Barbarian could work I guess, but it seems out of place for a little goblin. Oh yeah, as for weapons, I figured that if it was preferable, I could just give him a homebrew scythe instead of small blades, but whatever. I've never heard of a swordsage before, so I guess it's time for some research.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-02-27, 03:30 PM
I used this build for my own belkar tribute.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871422/Feral_Dreadlord:_SA,_TWF,_9th_Level_Maneuvers,_SAD _in_one_package

Very versatile charcter straight up ass kicker who is a passable skill monkey and has manuevers to help with alot of situations.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 04:21 PM
I used this build for my own belkar tribute.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871422/Feral_Dreadlord:_SA,_TWF,_9th_Level_Maneuvers,_SAD _in_one_package

Very versatile charcter straight up ass kicker who is a passable skill monkey and has manuevers to help with alot of situations.

Looks like that build will require a bit more research before I understand everything going on with it...

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 04:31 PM
Okay, here's kind of a context heavy character I'm looking for suggested classes for - I'll still be looking over what you guys have givejn me in the meantime though.

Okay, so its a female samurai to put it very simply. The society I thought up was a clone of feudal Japan but with hideous aberations and everyone in the culture wears masks at almost every waking moment in public (so Rurouni Kenshin + DnD and Scooby Doo.) Anyway, I haven't thought up all teh details for the character as a person yet, but I did decide taht she would be the only female member of the armed forces, have a silent, strong personality. Also, this part of the setting, halfway around the globe from the adventure, would have a slightly higher amount of people capapble of accessing a mysterious magic like power, and when she recently felled a great evil in single combat, her already demonstrated great potential for using this force was unleashed. I decided taht it would probably drive her insane and to bloodlust, leading to her banishment, but I haven't quite solidified her space in the story yet.

I've been hearing some pretty good things about Ircanm, so I've been rethinking my whole original design. I decided that to show her mentality fueled powers and immense skill with a blade, I would probably make her a Psion/Fighter. I know there's been at least two different Samurai classes, but they don't seem all that appealiing (well, the MGP one does, but it seems hard to run, using HP as ki which fuels techniques or something. If I used that, I would homebrew it to a state where my even less experienced players could figure it out) Anyway, suggestions for this and previously posted characters are more than welcome.

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 04:40 PM
I'd say Psion//Warblade over fighter.
Or even simply Warblade if you're not doing the gestalt thing anymore.

Pluto
2010-02-27, 04:42 PM
Evil Adapted Jade Phoenix Mage.

Or a Phrenic (bought off) Warblade or Crusader.

Or just Duskblade.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 04:48 PM
Evil Adapted Jade Phoenix Mage.

Or a Phrenic (bought off) Warblade or Crusader.

Or just Duskblade.

I'm not sure what all those do, but I should probably point out that if I am not going to use Gestalt (still depends on how all of the characters go individually) then the Psion or whatever would only be a recently acquired class, i.e. her powers only came into play recently.

I know what a Crusader is but they don't look that intresting, and have a rough idea about Duskblades, though I don't remember where I saw them, but what's a Jade Phoenix Mage?

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 04:51 PM
I'd say Psion//Warblade over fighter.
Or even simply Warblade if you're not doing the gestalt thing anymore.

Why Warblade? What's so good about it? I'm not mocking the idea or anything, just taht as an inexperienced DM, I find Fighters so easy to run and build and versatil that I would need the hard sell of quite teh bit of power to opt for some other class over it.

Also, I'll admit to oinly scanning very briefly over the Tome fo Battle characters so far.

Kylarra
2010-02-27, 04:58 PM
Why Warblade? What's so good about it? I'm not mocking the idea or anything, just taht as an inexperienced DM, I find Fighters so easy to run and build and versatil that I would need the hard sell of quite teh bit of power to opt for some other class over it.

Also, I'll admit to oinly scanning very briefly over the Tome fo Battle characters so far.INT synergy, higher HD, maneuvers, weapon aptitude (if your tastes run that way), more skills.

Master_Rahl22
2010-02-27, 05:17 PM
You really ought to check out the Tome of Battle. That's the book with Swordsage, Crusader, and Warblade classes and it introduces maneuvers. There's a school of maneuvers called Diamond Mind, and it's all about using the power of your mind to to be awesome. There are strikes (generally standard action maneuvers that involve some kind of attack) that replace your normal damage with a Concentration check, or at higher levels double your Concentration check. There is a strike that lets you make an attack as normal, but it's a melee touch attack. There are counters (immediate action maneuvers that are generally defensive in nature) that let you replace Fort, Ref, or Will saves with a Concentration check (are you sensing a theme here?) which means not only that you can cover a weak save, but that you don't fail on a 1 since it's now a skill check.

The Diamond Mind school is accessible to Swordsages and Warblades. Swordsages also have access to a very supernatural type school called Shadow Hand, lots of teleporting and invisibility and cool shadow effects.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-27, 05:48 PM
You really ought to check out the Tome of Battle. That's the book with Swordsage, Crusader, and Warblade classes and it introduces maneuvers. There's a school of maneuvers called Diamond Mind, and it's all about using the power of your mind to to be awesome. There are strikes (generally standard action maneuvers that involve some kind of attack) that replace your normal damage with a Concentration check, or at higher levels double your Concentration check. There is a strike that lets you make an attack as normal, but it's a melee touch attack. There are counters (immediate action maneuvers that are generally defensive in nature) that let you replace Fort, Ref, or Will saves with a Concentration check (are you sensing a theme here?) which means not only that you can cover a weak save, but that you don't fail on a 1 since it's now a skill check.

The Diamond Mind school is accessible to Swordsages and Warblades. Swordsages also have access to a very supernatural type school called Shadow Hand, lots of teleporting and invisibility and cool shadow effects.

Well, guess I've got even more reading to do then. Do you have any recomendations for the Gobling or the Lady Nora character posted earlier?

TheMinxTail
2010-02-28, 02:10 PM
Well, I'm still looking into the Tome of Battle, so I suppose that I'm set for the samurai and goblin for now, though the system does bear a bit of stigma of reminding me of 4th Edition. Not saying taht 4e wasn't good - its what got me into RPGs in the first place, but I've gotten to the stage of hindsight that its all a bit too much metagame-y. I just like the Pathfinder/3.5 Magic system better. Anyway, getting off track. I suppose Binder should work as the second class for the bard character, thematically at least, though I may have to get in a bit of practice with thatt system sometime.

There's another character who probably won't be in the adventure I'm working on right now, but it's always kind of bothered me what class she should be. I'd prefer to use pre-Epic levels, by the way.

Okay, so the characters origin goes a little like this; a young and powerful magician who used deals with demons to mature his bloodline power to the point where he could meld it into a colosal understanding and control of the arcane (think the Utimate Magus prestige class, possibly with some homebrew tweaking) has his soul 'purified'. Basically, a group of clerics perform a ritual that splits his soul in two - one version with his soul matured, and the other with the taint of deals with dark forces. The byproduct soul was then captured and given a body by a powerful dark king (who could be described as a twenty-foot tall mutant Joker), whop then adds further taint; he takes the soul, now with the general shape of a human female [long story], under his wing and gives the power of a dead goddess of lies to the byproduct. Emerging from these events as the end product was the Dark Empress Sepulchitrude, a gothic style 'witch' with the power to dominate the mind of any living creature with but a moment's eye contact.

So as a class for 'Sepulchitrude', what would be appropriate? If I could figure out something approriate I could use the character for something - maybe an antihero or even villain who briefly cooperates with the party jsut to go along for the ride for a while. Any source material welcome, homebrew included.

Pluto
2010-02-28, 02:32 PM
So as a class for 'Sepulchitrude', what would be appropriate? If I could figure out something approriate I could use the character for something - maybe an antihero or even villain who briefly cooperates with the party jsut to go along for the ride for a while. Any source material welcome, homebrew included.

I'm want to say Sorcerer/Tainted Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm#taintedSorcerer) (UA) or Tainted Scholar (Heroes of Horror), but those classes are broken.

'Course that sounds like what you're going for anyway.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-02-28, 02:55 PM
+1 tainted sorceror-it's not that broken if you don't have a way to ignore the negatives of having a massive taint score.

Ultimate magus is good of course.

maybe wizard/beguiler/ultimate magus/topped off with a full casting PrC with some nice Evil flavor.

TheMinxTail
2010-02-28, 08:16 PM
This has been bothering me for a while now - what's a PrC?

That aside, thanks for the advise so far. I was astually thinking of making a mild homebrew for the Sepulchitrude character since her eyes are kind of the course of her power (I forgot to mention that, sorry). I guess beguiler would probably work well, I'll look a little further into that class. As for Tainted Sorcerer, sounds like one of those needlessly complex systems, but I guess I'll give it a whirl.

I actually once came up with the idea - what if a level 1 enchanter conquered the world single handedly? Though that might not be such an intresting campaign to run for players, since it would be more villain centred and full of political intrigue. Not sure why I felt the need to mention that, but this character reminds me of a more poowerful version of her.

Oh yeah, in most of the renditions I've made of her (I'm an unpublished novelist, yay), she has a group of demons who work with her as a small strike team under her willing command. Not sure what to do aout that mechanically, but if anyone could recoment some good source material for demon henchmen that would be great. The philosophy behind their presence would be that she no longer channels as much expertise into brute force spells like fireballs and she's physically even weaker than her last form, leaving her in need of a decent additional artillery and bodyguard support. Maybe a LotR Balrog. How sweet would that be as a cohort?

Kylarra
2010-02-28, 08:17 PM
This has been bothering me for a while now - what's a PrC?
Prestige Class.

onthetown
2010-02-28, 08:17 PM
PrC = Prestige Class.

Don't underestimate the enchanters... they're wonderful. I'm certain that mine could take over the world :smallbiggrin:

I'm an unpublished novelist as well; it's nice to see other writers here.

Edit: ninja'd

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-28, 08:43 PM
I'm certain that mine could take over the world :smallbiggrin:

:mbison: OF COURSE!

TheMinxTail
2010-03-01, 04:49 AM
:mbison: OF COURSE!

The almighty Critic's memes shall live on in our hearts eternally!

TheMinxTail
2010-03-01, 05:05 AM
I'm pretty sure that I'll have to homebrew something for Sepulchitrude whi can use mind-affecting powers by eye contact. Any idea what I should base the class off of? Psion, enchanter, what? I'll upload it to the homebrew section either way.