PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 earthquake....Tsunami!!!

IsaacTheHungry
2010-02-27, 01:19 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/02/27/chile.quake/index.html?hpt=T1

Not good :smalleek:

If you live on the pacific cost, head to higher ground

THAC0
2010-02-27, 01:46 PM
Crazy. We're protected here, but my husband is in a potentially vulnerable area. Several hours before we'll know if anything comes of it.

Kyouhen
2010-02-27, 01:47 PM
Up here (Canada) they're issuing warnings for British Columbia for people to stay off of beaches/marines/etc. They aren't expecting any massive flooding or for it to even be anything severe when it reaches us, but they're saying the currents are going to be brutal.

All the little island countries, on the other hand... :smalleek:

Xallace
2010-02-27, 01:48 PM
Every time I look back at the article the death toll rises.

My heart goes out to 'em.

Seonor
2010-02-27, 01:49 PM
The newest updates for Hawaii are here (http://twitter.com/disasteraware) (Twitter, their site seems to be down).

bosssmiley
2010-02-27, 02:58 PM
And people scoffed when I said the Americas were never intended for human habitation. :smalleek:

Pyrian
2010-02-27, 03:34 PM
I have family on Oahu, but from what I've read it's only Hilo on the big island that's really threatened. It's basically on the end of a funnel...

DraPrime
2010-02-27, 03:44 PM
Anyone know when this is gonna slam into California? I've got some friends living there, right on the coast. Like within 100 yards of the water.

Pyrian
2010-02-27, 03:48 PM
I, uh, think it just did. :smallconfused: The advisory is basically to stay out of the water because of strong currents.

Vaynor
2010-02-27, 04:03 PM
My mom just went out to go see the tsunami at the Ventura Pier, where it is supposedly going to hit soon. It will most likely be tiny (compared to a tsunami) and mostly just a slightly-bigger-than-normal wave (last time this happened it was as such). Should be interesting though, I'll post what happened when she gets back.

Kyouhen
2010-02-27, 04:14 PM
I, uh, think it just did. :smallconfused: The advisory is basically to stay out of the water because of strong currents.

Yeah, that's pretty much it for North America in general. Stay out of the water, don't go anywhere that gets wet during high tide.

YorickBrown
2010-02-27, 04:20 PM
a friend of mine is Chilean and still has family down there, hasn't been able to get in contact with anyone yet last i heard

:smallfrown: :smalleek:

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-27, 04:43 PM
a friend of mine is Chilean and still has family down there, hasn't been able to get in contact with anyone yet last i heard

Don't you just hate it when friends or family area in the area of disaster?

Some of my relatives live in Edmonton... 'nuff said.

Anyway, on topic. Something tells me this is going to happen until we stop screwing around with the planet, for some reason...

Yiuel
2010-02-27, 05:14 PM

I also have a friend in Chile (Chilean as well). He also happens to be a fellow reader of the OotS (I "blame" myself for that). I hope he's alright, I haven't got any news from him yet.

(At least, he doesn't live near Concepción, but he's close to Valparaiso and it seems they were shaken well as well.)

Pyrian
2010-02-27, 05:25 PM
Something tells me this is going to happen until we stop screwing around with the planet, for some reason...It's an earthquake. They've been happening for billions of years. They'll continue to happen for billions of years. We don't have much of a say in the matter.

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-27, 05:26 PM
My point exactly.

/insane troll logic.

Brennan
2010-02-27, 05:27 PM
It's an earthquake. They've been happening for billions of years. They'll continue to happen for billions of years. We don't have much of a say in the matter.

Seconded

It's not like we're putting giant vibro-trons in the core of the earth, lol. No matter how much carbon is in our atmosphere, it has absolutely no correlation with the amount of earthquakes, tsunamis, etc etc that we experience.

Cryssandra
2010-02-27, 05:31 PM
I've been watching news reports around the internet, being in North Texas, I have no reason to worry. I just find this very interesting. I've been watching this reef appear and disappear all morning. From what I think I understand is that it isn't going to be as powerful as they first thought, can anyone back me up or did I just understand wrong?

Madmal
2010-02-27, 06:00 PM
It's a given fact that this is the world's season for earthquakes (apparently it tends to happen every 10,000 years or so).

This started on July 1990 on the Philipines, and so far, this is one of the latest incarnations. Others are the 7-point one at Haiti or 3 years ago when an 8-point one was let off down here at Peru, (specifically the cities of Ica, Chincha and Pisco), which we haven't recovered enough from yet. :smallannoyed:

YorickBrown
2010-02-27, 06:05 PM
edit: did not realize just how big the picture was

if you want to see a fairly cool map of the anticipated ocean effects of the earthquake, click the link below

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/chile/chileem.jpg

Xallace
2010-02-27, 06:08 PM
http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/chile/chileem.jpg

Spoiler that please. Total screen stretcher.

Also, what exactly am I looking at?

Drakevarg
2010-02-27, 06:11 PM
From the looks of it, I think that's how much the ocean floor just moved...

DraPrime
2010-02-27, 06:19 PM
Seconded

It's not like we're putting giant vibro-trons in the core of the earth, lol. No matter how much carbon is in our atmosphere, it has absolutely no correlation with the amount of earthquakes, tsunamis, etc etc that we experience.

And even if there is correlation, that doesn't really mean that there is causation.

Archonic Energy
2010-02-27, 06:20 PM
should i be worried about my mum is on a cruise in the far east Hong kong/vietnam/indonesia?

Drakevarg
2010-02-27, 06:22 PM
Well, the bright colors on that map Yorick tossed up stop at New Zealand, so Hong Kong/Vietnam/Indonesia should be fine.

Surrealistik
2010-02-27, 06:39 PM
America's been using its secret earthquake weapon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9QtZkT8OBQ) again I see.

RS14
2010-02-27, 07:25 PM
should i be worried about my mum is on a cruise in the far east Hong kong/vietnam/indonesia?

No. Any resulting wave will have no effect on ships at sea.

Yiuel
2010-02-27, 10:13 PM
No. Any resulting wave will have no effect on ships at sea.

Being on a boat at sea is the safest place to be. The name "tsunami" comes from the obvious result : boats came back safely to their port (tsu) and saw that the whole coast had been washed by a huge wave (nami).

Got news of my friend. He's alright. *relieved*

OverdrivePrime
2010-02-28, 12:19 AM
Anyway, on topic. Something tells me this is going to happen until we stop screwing around with the planet, for some reason...

Isn't this the year for the 2nd Great Ghost Dance? :smallwink:

Solaris
2010-02-28, 12:26 AM

Score another one for aberrant geometry! The tsunami got so confused that it just went somewhere else.
What?

Rockphed
2010-02-28, 12:31 AM
America's been using its secret earthquake weapon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9QtZkT8OBQ) again I see.

No, it has been locked up in my basement for the last week. And I made sure it was disconnected from power too. So, unless the black ops people managed to get a copy of it made during the last time I let them take a look at it, I don't think it was that.

No, obviously my nemesis has created a flawed copy that he can't quite turn off and I must now race against time and his fiendish minions to destroy it before he tears the world apart!

[/melodrama]Okay, I feel really horrible for the people of Chile(and wherever else gets hit, but I can't really say I feel anything until I actually see it in the local papers or hear about it on the radio. Somehow news on the internet just isn't real.

Xyk
2010-02-28, 02:06 AM
Okay, I feel really horrible for the people of Chile(and wherever else gets hit, but I can't really say I feel anything until I actually see it in the local papers or hear about it on the radio. Somehow news on the internet just isn't real.

Nah, dude, it's real, it was on the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8541347.stm) and my local news televisions as well.

Solaris
2010-02-28, 02:09 AM
No, it has been locked up in my basement for the last week. And I made sure it was disconnected from power too. So, unless the black ops people managed to get a copy of it made during the last time I let them take a look at it, I don't think it was that.

No, obviously my nemesis has created a flawed copy that he can't quite turn off and I must now race against time and his fiendish minions to destroy it before he tears the world apart!

Look, it's just a simple problem with the calibration, nothing to worry about.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-28, 06:09 PM
My freind had a huge amount of family there, only his parents and grandma were in the US. Everyone else he's related to are in Chile and they still haven't heard a thing from them.

Ashtar
2010-02-28, 07:02 PM
I got a gaming buddy in Chile who hasn't signed in online since the quake. Hope he and his family and friends are all right.

My heart goes out to all those affected. Please be safe and well!

megabyter5
2010-03-03, 11:42 AM
I knew this would happen eventually. No one ever believed me, but I knew it. The western hemisphere is going to fall off, people! We need to evacuate NOW!

Thajocoth
2010-03-03, 12:20 PM
"According to at least one NASA researcher, the massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Chile last week may have shortened the actual length of days on Earth by as many as 1.26 milliseconds. Apparently, the quake was so strong that it actually caused a change in our planet’s axis."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

Ashtar
2010-03-03, 03:15 PM
Well my friend just signed in. He and his family are okay, but they had no electricity till today (hence why he couldn't get online) and they still have no running water.

At least everyone's safe and there's little to no damage around his house (only a garden wall fell down).

I'm relieved.

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-03-05, 01:31 AM
Just as a question, why don't people ever use the term tidal wave anymore?

Pyrian
2010-03-05, 01:34 AM
Because they're not really "tidal" waves. That term used to be used for tsunamis, tidal bores, and tidal surges, but has generally been replaced by the more precise descriptors.