PDA

View Full Version : homebrew jedi for dnd 3.x?

randomhero00
2010-02-27, 06:55 PM
Has anyone done so? I'd imagine many of the mechanics are already in the game. Soulknife's ability to manifest a weapon, refluffed for lightsaber. Force lightning slightly changed from lightning bolt, etc.

AslanCross
2010-02-27, 06:57 PM
I think the Psychic Warrior would be the best candidate. The Swordsage would work excellently too.

Draz74
2010-02-27, 07:18 PM
I've posted "Jedi" Psychic Warrior builds here before.

gallagher
2010-02-27, 07:24 PM
I think the Psychic Warrior would be the best candidate. The Swordsage would work excellently too.

yes, swordsage works well. if you want flavor to meet attributes, you need a high con, good dex, good wisdom, decent int, cha is negotiable, strength is not necessary

Optimystik
2010-02-27, 07:38 PM
Warlock is the best actually. Eldritch Glaive gives you a lightsaber, and the various Invocations represent Force powers extremely well with refluffing. (Leaps and Bounds = Force Jump, Eldritch Chain = Force Lightning, Beguiling Influence = Mind Trick, etc.)

Failing that, a Psywar with the Soulbound Weapon ACF would work.

arguskos
2010-02-27, 08:06 PM
Person_Man's Force Unleashed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92407) homebrew class. It's homebrew, and it's a Jedi, and it's pretty good. :smalltongue:

magic9mushroom
2010-02-27, 08:19 PM
Tashalatora monk/psychic warrior or monk/psion is pretty much already a Jedi. Barring that, what Optimystik said (generally, he's pretty smart).

pres_man
2010-02-27, 08:31 PM
How about a bard? Describe inspire courage as Battle Mediation. Pick spells like mage hand, leviate, charm person.

Optimystik
2010-02-27, 08:33 PM
Barring that, what Optimystik said (generally, he's pretty smart).

You didn't have to qualify that statement, you know. :smalltongue:

magic9mushroom
2010-02-27, 08:36 PM
You didn't have to qualify that statement, you know. :smalltongue:

I don't know you in RL, so not qualifying it would be foolish.

But yeah. I may disagree with you occasionally, but you know how to present a case, and it's generally a good one.

Faleldir
2010-02-27, 09:15 PM
A lightsaber is an item. Trying to include it in a class is like saying Link is a Bard.

Optimystik
2010-02-27, 09:25 PM
I don't know you in RL, so not qualifying it would be foolish.

That's an odd argument; I don't know Stephen Hawking IRL either, but I know he's smart.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the compliment and won't derail the thread further. :smallsmile:

A lightsaber is an item. Trying to include it in a class is like saying Link is a Bard.

Most games don't start at the level where you could afford a Riverine Brilliant Energy Longsword or what have you, so whenever someone asks this question we tend to simplify things by finding ways for the player to be a Jedi as early as possible.

(The "jedi in 3.5" topic is a somewhat popular one, though not quite at the level of monk threads.)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-28, 12:24 AM

In SWSE, a Lightsabre is as much a class feature as it is an item.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-28, 01:16 AM
Most games don't start at the level where you could afford a Riverine Brilliant Energy Longsword or what have you, so whenever someone asks this question we tend to simplify things by finding ways for the player to be a Jedi as early as possible.

A brilliant energy weapon is as far from a lightsaber as you can get, since it cannot damage non-living creatures and any objects.

AstralFire
2010-02-28, 01:47 AM
And yet, wasn't it made to emulate lightsabers? I never ever understood the thought process there with whoever introduced it.

Pluto
2010-02-28, 01:52 AM
I'd probably just modify the Spell list of a Bardic Knack Bard for this.

Throw Flame Blade and Greater Mage Hand as level 1 spells, Telekinesis as a level 3, Electricity-flavored Cone of Cold as a level 4. Drop some of the things from the list like Magic Mouth, Alter Self, Haste and Dimension Door.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-28, 03:00 AM
And yet, wasn't it made to emulate lightsabers? I never ever understood the thought process there with whoever introduced it.

In another thread, someone was talking about using a spell that gives Brilliant Energy offensively, if you're undead.

Eloel
2010-02-28, 05:19 AM

Brilliant Energy was made for Warforged Monks.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-28, 06:18 AM
Brilliant Energy was made for Warforged Monks.

Add a level of Wizard for True Strike and you get "warrior monks, who can pass through walls, and see into the future".

:smalleek:

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-28, 08:23 AM
Brilliant energy wouldn't be able to cut droids in half, so a mindblade makes more sense.

As for the jedi class, I'd either go with Warlock (as Optimystik said) or with the SWD20 class and add all the force power skills to it. Granted, giving up hitpoints for force powers is a bit of a stretch, but I think that force lightning and such have been shown to have detrimental effects on the user anyways.

Ossian
2010-02-28, 08:46 AM
2 cents on the lightsabers. They are knda broke, if you stick to what they do in movies. Taking a bit from the SW rpg 3.5, a lightsaber will be (for non jedis)

2d8 base damage
Attacks are always touch attacks, which means it ignores DR and armor bonuses.
Critical is 19-20 (x2)
Theoretically, vehicles retain their DR and armor versus lightsabers, so if the target is "huge" it might keep the armor bonus.

In case a jedi uses it, things change a lot. There is all the attunement to the crystal, which I am not sure how you want to replicate in your game, and the fact that they can attain blinding speeds (which for a weightless blade is pretty dangerous) and battle precognition (they know where the next trhust/slash will land etc...).

Surely damage should scale with your fantasy jedi levels, as the ability to move faster, jump higher etc.

With a force dexterity boost and weapon finesse you become pretty deadly with that kind of weapon

SilverSheriff
2010-02-28, 09:40 AM
Should I be the one to mention that this exact type of thread pops up every second week?:smallsigh:

AstralFire
2010-02-28, 09:48 AM
Brilliant energy wouldn't be able to cut droids in half, so a mindblade makes more sense.

As for the jedi class, I'd either go with Warlock (as Optimystik said) or with the SWD20 class and add all the force power skills to it. Granted, giving up hitpoints for force powers is a bit of a stretch, but I think that force lightning and such have been shown to have detrimental effects on the user anyways.

Ah. ha. no.

That's not going to end well. SW d20 is not only a pretty bad ruleset (unless you meant SW Saga) it starts out higher powered than a level 1 D&D character and ends up significantly weaker at level 20.